DPP Latias (Full OU Revamp)

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the Choice Specs set, "greatly improved defenses" really isn't the best definition for Latias compared to Salamence.

Latias: 80 HP/90 Def/130 SpDef

Salamence: 95 HP/80 Def/80 SpDef

Salamence actually has better physical defense that Latias (especially when factoring in Intimidate). I'd say that the following sentence would fit better:

"With Choice Specs Salamence being a huge pain with 110 Special Attack and 100 Speed, it only makes sense that Latias would be even more annoying with 10 more base Speed points, greater special defense, and an improved typing."
Done.

I also feel like maxing Speed on these Latias sets are unnecessary. The only point behind doing so would mainly be speed tying Gengar and other Latias. Instead, it should aim for some other “magic number” to run.
Outspeeding opposing Latias is a huge deal. I mentioned that "magic number" in the comments of the defensive cm set, and obviously it will be mentioned in the EV section as well.

I'd like to submit a Choice Scarf set that I’ve tested and found to be effective:

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Psychic
move 4: Surf / Ice Beam / Trick

item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Eeh I suppose this could be a decent revenge killer, but the moveset needs to be reworked very badly. Psychic is a total waste of time even with STAB; Ice Beam is pointless unless you really hate Celebi, and the only reason you provide is "it creates the boltbeam combo"; this is a revenge killer not a sweeper, so having two Dragon attacks takes away from coverage; Thunderbolt is OK I guess to stop DD Gyara, but honestly Latias has better things to do, since most teams can deal with Gyarados regardless and Electric is actually a pretty terrible attacking type. For me the set would be:

[SET]
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Surf
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / ThunderBolt
move 4: Trick
/ ThunderBolt
evs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe

Also the offensive CM set has been added.

EDIT: The rest of the analysis (i.e. other options, evs, etc) will be posted sometime tonight.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Offensive Calm Mind]

<p>The previous Calm Mind set is certainly useful; however, it does not carry much raw power in its attacks until it has a few Special Attack boosts under its belt. This set becomes extremely powerful with just a single Calm Mind, capable of OHKOing Gyarados, Bold Zapdos, and Scizor after Stealth Rock damage even with a Timid nature (though the chance is significantly higher with Modest). Furthermore, every Pokemon in OU besides Empoleon will be 2HKOed at worst. With a lot more attacking power, this set is much more capable of dealing with its counters than the defensive Calm Mind set: with 252 HP Tyranitar taking a minimum of 60% from Timid Latias’ +1 Surf, it is unlikely that it will be able to switch in more than once.</p>

<p>Offensive Calm Mind Latias is very simple to use. Simply bring it in on one of the many Pokemon which cannot hurt it badly, use Calm Mind, and sweep. If Latias’ HP gets too low then you can have it Recover off the damage.</p>

<p>Recover is far and away the best choice for the last moveslot, since with 296 Special Defense Latias is still more than capable of taking special hits. However, there are more damaging options if you wish to increase Latias’ offensive potential. Grass Knot will always 2HKO 252 / 0 Choice Band Tyranitar with no boosts, so with a bit of prediction you can get that counter out of the way quickly. Additionally, Modest Latias has about a 65% chance of OHKOing that same Tyranitar with a +1 Grass Knot when it switches into Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Fire provides a guaranteed OHKO against Scizor, and allows you to OHKO both Skarmory and Metagross after a Calm Mind boost (a Modest nature is necessary in the latter case). However, take note that Hidden Power Fire will lower Latias’ speed by one point, ensuring that it will lose to an opposing max speed Latias. Hidden Power Fighting is also an option if you really need to take down Tyranitar, but it also reduces Latias Speed, and Grass Knot is almost as effective.</p>
I also think it might be apt to mention that Modest +1 Grass Knot KOs 176/0 (spread to outrun Skarm) Tyranitar 87.5% of the time with Stealth Rock.

[Utility]
<p>While it is unlikely that Latias will replace Blissey as the quintessential special wall, Latias does the job very well, and it claims a number of tricks that Blissey cannot. The most notable of these are Reflect and Roar - the former makes Latias incredibly difficult to take down, while the latter lets Latias abuse its high defenses to shuffle the opponent’s team through entry hazard damage.</p>

<p>What move you use in the first slot is really a matter of your team’s needs. Thunder Wave is the primary option since this set will presumably be used on a typically slow stall or balanced team, but Roar is just as viable and, if you are running a stall team or you lack a phazer, Roar is probably the superior choice. Roar is another option again in the second moveslot since Reflect is not absolutely necessary, but Reflect is generally the superior choice since no defensive team wants its special wall taken out early game by a Tyranitar or Scizor. Wish is also an option on Recover if you want to pass the healing around your team, but Latias becomes a lot easier to take down without instant recovery, so play cautiously in that case.</p>

<p>The EVs for this set are designed to maximize Latias’ capabilities as both a supporter and a special wall, while giving it enough physical defense to take some powerful hits. 28 Speed EVs will allow Latias to outpace and <omit> Metagross or Scizor and put up Reflect, and max HP with 112 Special Defense EVs and a Calm nature allows Latias to never be 2HKOed by Modest Scarf Heatran’s Dragon Pulse, even after Stealth Rock damage. The rest is used to bolster Latias’ unremarkable ("only decent" made it sound like its Def was the only decent thing about it) Defense stat. If you want your Latias to better handle physical attacks, switching to a physically defensive EV spread is not a problem: simply move all the Special Defense EVs into Defense and give Latias a Bold nature.</p>
You like your semicolons =P.

Originally Posted by TAY
Eeh I suppose this could be a decent revenge killer, but the moveset needs to be reworked very badly. Psychic is a total waste of time even with STAB; Ice Beam is pointless unless you really hate Celebi, and the only reason you provide is "it creates the boltbeam combo"; this is a revenge killer not a sweeper, so having two Dragon attacks takes away from coverage; Thunderbolt is OK I guess to stop DD Gyara, but honestly Latias has better things to do, since most teams can deal with Gyarados regardless and Electric is actually a pretty terrible attacking type. For me the set would be:

[SET]
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / ThunderBolt
move 4: Trick / ThunderBolt
evs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother with a Choice Scarf set. Choice Scarf amplifies Latias' biggest flaw... pursuit weakness. At least Specs can keep Pursuiters at bay, but Choice Scarf is just screaming to be pursuited. I guess it can work alright, but I would change the moves around probably. Think of the things you might want to revenge kill first and foremost, like Dragon Danced Gyarados / Salamence / Kingdra.

So Draco Meteor is obvious, but Surf doesn't help the Scarf set at all, since the only Pokemon worth Surfing on to revenge kill is... well nothing. Hidden Power Fire on a Choice Scarf set is already bleh... since its only for Scizor and has no merits revenge killing anything. I would probably go with Draco Meteor / Psychic / Thunderbolt. In reality, Draco is the only move you should ever use. Psychic despite its bad reputation will give you a solid hit for things like Heracross that switch in, as well as revenge killing Breloom (who you can actually counter), Gengar, Infernape, annoying Machamp, as well as hitting Mence and Gyarados neutral if you dont want to kill SpA or be locked into a non-STAB move. Thunderbolt is just for Gyarados really, but hitting Waters in general is always cool. Even still, Choice Scarf is still pretty "meh."

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Well, a pursuit weakness doesn't stop the mass amounts of scarfgars. Being in the same speed tier, other than different weaknesses/immunities due to typing and better defenses, I don't see how a scarf latias is any less viable.

Would I personally use it? No.

I have a contribution to your lati@s set.

Latias@leftovers/light clay/life orb
Timid nature
EVs: 82 hp / 252 sp.att / 176 speed
-safeguard
-dragon pulse/draco meteor
-Wish/recover
-reflect/light screen/toxic
This set is commonly designed as a lead. Safeguard protects you against any sort of status that might come your way, including Bronzong's hypnosis. Wish allows you to let your latias be more of a team player, although recover allows your Latias to stay alive longer. If you wish to use reflect or light screen, it is recommended that you equip light clay so your "screen" stays for longer. Dragon pulse for stab, but draco meteor takes out fragile sweepers/leads in a single hit.

just a suggestion

I have an alternative Latias set.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 Def/36 Spe/240 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~Dragon Pulse
~Hidden Power [Fire]
~Surf
~Thunderbolt

With these defense EVs, Latias will never be OHKOed by Tyranitar's Crunch with Leftovers (leaving Sandstorm out). Speed EVs allow for outspeeding of all base 130s (like Aerodactyl, and can kill that with Surf/TBolt). All the rest put into SpA for maximum attacking power.
Also, Heracross does virtually nothing to Latias (with Pursuit), and Latias can 2HKO Heracross with HP Fire.

I have an alternative Latias set.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 Def/36 Spe/240 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~Dragon Pulse/Draco meteor
~Hidden Power [Fire]
~Surf
~Thunderbolt/psychic
Since your latias doesn't have a lot of power compared to life orbed or calm mind sets (because of choice scarf), I would advise using dragon pulse and instead use draco meteor for more damage. The special attack drop is negligable since you'll be switching out often anyways.

With these defense EVs, Latias will never be OHKOed by Tyranitar's Crunch with Leftovers (sandstorm is always there if T-tar is in play, unless you can disable it in mid-game). Speed EVs allow for outspeeding of all base 130s (like Aerodactyl, and can kill that with Surf/TBolt). All the rest put into SpA for maximum attacking power.

Also, Heracross does virtually nothing to Latias (with Pursuit), and Latias can 2HKO Heracross with HP Fire.
I would probably consider against this, solely due to the fact that Heracross might OHKO back with megahorn instead of pursuit. Just something to note for.
The problem here is that, with choice scarf, latia's surf will fail to 2HKO (especially if there is sandstorm), meaning that T-tar will still beat it with crunch. Assuming this would be a revenge-killer/starter, it's not a bad set.

For the Defensive Calm Mind Set:
"<p>There are a number of viable EV spreads for this set. The one listed will allow Latias to take 4 consecutive Seismic Tosses and survive, making it much easier to set up on Blissey. If you want to use a true “Defensive Latias” set, a much more bulky spread can be used: 148 HP / 204 Def / 128 SpA / 28 Spe with a Bold nature. The 28 Speed will allow Latias to outrun any Scizor, Metagross, or Adamant Gyarados and use Reflect; 128 Special Attack is needed to 2HKO the standard 148 / 0 Blissey after six Calm Minds; and the rest is thrown into Defense. This set will never take more than 55% damage from CB Scizor’s U-Turn with Reflect up, and it will never even take 33% damage from CB Tyranitar’s Pursuit under the same conditions.</p>"
Isn't this spread better?

204 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe / 24 SpA

Modest Nature.

Considering that Latias has a higher SpA than Def, I figured that changing the nature to Modest would allow her to reduce EVs in SpA and put them into Defense and HP. With this Spread Latias has 352 HP, 279 Def, 263 Spe, and 288 SpA.

Her Defense is lower, but her HP is much higher to make up for the lose (and also allows her to take Special Attacks much better). Also note her Defense is only 14 Points lower with this spread than the one you suggested.

Doesn't this set make her more bulky than the 1 you suggested? (Definetely on the Special Side, but I am wondering about the Physical side).

Her HP is 26 points higher.

Grammar fixes

Set: Defensive Calm Mind

Unfortunately, Hidden Power Fire causes Latias to lose a Speed point, allowing Gengar and other Latias to come in and deal a hefty blow;
This set will never take more than 55% damage from CB Scizor’s U-turn with Reflect up, and it will never even take 33% damage from CB Tyranitar’s Pursuit under the same conditions
Set: Offensive Calm Mind

This set becomes extremely powerful with just a single Calm Mind, capable of OHKOing Gyarados, Bold Zapdos, and Scizor after Stealth Rock
Offensive Calm Mind Latias is very simple to use. Simply bring it in on one of the many Pokemon which cannot hurt it badly, use Calm Mind, and sweep. If Latias’ HP gets too low, (added comma, omitted "then") you can have it Recover off the damage.
however, take note that Hidden Power Fire will lower Latias’ Speed by one point, ensuring that it will lose to an opposing max Speed Latias. Hidden Power Fighting is also an option if you really need to take down Tyranitar, but it also reduces Latias' (apostrophe added) Speed, and Grass Knot is almost as effective.
Set: Choice Specs

Grass Knot is an option if you want to score a 2HKO on maximum HP and Special Defense Tyranitar and (omit "a") OHKO Swampert
Set: Psycho Shift

Running so much Defense on a set that abuses burns may seem odd, but it is necessary to prevent damage from Tyranitar and Scizor. Even when burned, Adamant Choice Band Crunch and U-turn will do about 50% to Latias, and while Latias does have Recover
Surf should be used only if your team fares poorly against Heatran.

Misa-This Latias I find especially useful late-game, when the opponent's pokemon are weaker. Thus, I should keep Dragon Pulse because I can still have a relatively high-powered attack throughout, and I don't have to switch. I won't switch in on a T-Tar with full or high HP, I'll weaken it before I try to bring Latias in. Forget what I said about Heracross, you're right. I don't see Psychic doing much, since Latias resists Fighting and Poison types, and can just wear them down with the other moves. Plus, I need T-Bolt for Gyarados.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'll write up the 3 Attack + Life Orb set~

[SET]
name: Life Orb + Three Attacks
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Recover
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb Latias takes the destructive power of the Choice Specs set and combines it with the ability to freely change attacks; although at the cost of some power and ten percent of Latias' health after each attack. Draco Meteor is Latias' strongest attack, capable of dealing 75.00% - 88.54% to max HP Zapdos, a OHKO when factoring in Stealth Rock damage. Draco Meteor even does 38.89% - 45.68% to min HP Heatran.</p>

<p>Surf pairs perfectly with Draco Meteor, giving Latias almost unresisted type coverage. Even with sandstorm boosting Tyranitar's massive Special Defense, a Life Orb Surf will deal 58.91% - 69.80% to one with max HP. If Latias predicts correctly and Surfs on the turn Tyranitar switches in, it can 2HKO Tyranitar before it has the chance to retaliate. Surf also deals 43.11% - 50.90% to max HP Scizor, a 97% chance to 2HKO if Scizor has taken Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt deals with the few threats that don't mind taking Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt; namely, Suicune, Vaporeon, and especially Empoleon. Thunderbolt 2HKOes all the aforementioned Pokemon while providing Latias with another attack to hit Steel-types for neutral damage if it predicts incorrectly. Thunderbolt has the added advantage of KOing min HP Salamence, without resorting to the Special Attack lowering Draco Meteor, if it has switched into Stealth Rock twice.</p>

<p>Timid secures all the OHKOes or 2HKOes that Modest accomplishes after Stealth Rock is taken into account, meaning Timid is almost always the superior option. With a Timid nature, Latias can switch in on Infernape, utilizing its resistances to Fire and Fighting, and KO it with Surf before it has the chance to launch another attack. It also allows Latias to outspeed all Salamence (except those with Choice Scarf) and KO them with Draco Meteor.</p>

Stellar: nice write up, just a couple of gender issues:

With a Timid nature, Latias can switch in on Infernape, utilizing its resistances to Fire and Fighting, and KO it with Surf before it has the chance to launch another attack. It also allows Latias to outspeed all Salamence (except those with Choice Scarf) and KO them with Draco Meteor.
I just changed it from "her" to "it", since the rest of the write up is gender neutral.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK update!
  • I have made grammar corrections as per Legacy Raider's suggestions.
  • I have added the LO + 3 Attacks set (Thanks Stellar!)
  • I have added in the Other Options, EVs, Opinion, and Counter sections.
Almost there, guys!

EDIT: hehe oops I forgot all the <p> tags x_x

thanks Jimbo!

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Other Options]

<p>Psycho Shift is a decent option on any of the sets besides Choice Specs. Opponents will frequently try to take down Latias with Poison or Paralysis, and Psycho Shift is a great way to turn the tables on any team that employs this strategy. Beware, though, as Psycho Shift will not clear your status if the foe is already afflicted by a status of their own, so it is probably not a good idea to have Latias take a Toxic or Thunder Wave from something that is already poisoned or paralyzed.</p>

<p>Latias has access to both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, which complement each other well. However, Ice Beam is almost totally redundant due to Latias’ STAB Dragon Pulse, and Thunderbolt has pretty lackluster coverage by itself. Still, if your team has a major weakness to Gyarados or Empoleon, you may want to try out Thunderbolt, as it is Latias’ best option against either of those foes.</p>

<p>Latias’ STAB Psychic can sometimes be useful to deal with Fighting-types such as Machamp and Heracross, and its neutral damage is the same as that of Dragon Pulse (I would rephrase this bit a little, though I'm not sure how). However, Psychic had notoriously poor type coverage, and it makes Latias even more vulnerable to the already troublesome Tyranitar and Scizor. Surf or Hidden Power Fire are almost always more useful, since they deal reasonable damage to the Steel-types that frequently switch into Latias.</p>

[EVs]
<p>On the offensive sets, you should always use either 252 or 176 Speed EVs. The former will outspeed anything with lower Speed than Latias, and will allow Latias to Speed tie with other Latias and Gengar. The latter will allow Latias to outspeed any base 100 Speed Pokemon, and will give you some extra EVs to improve Latias’ attacking power or its bulk.
If your Latias is Modest, it should be given at least 204 Speed EVs to outrun +Speed Lucario and Porygon-Z. 252 Speed EVs can also be used, but the only even remotely common Pokemon this will really allow you to outspeed is Electivire.</p>

<p>The defensive sets should always run at least 28 Speed EVs. This allows Latias to outspeed any Metagross or Breloom, as well as Adamant Gyarados. If you are using a specially defensive set, then 112 Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature will let Latias switch into Stealth Rock and take two Dragon Pulses from Modest Heatran. On a physically defensive set, your best bet is to simply max out Latias’ HP, put 28 points in Speed, and everything else into Defense, as Latias’ Special Defense is high enough that Latias can take a Special hit easily, even without any EVs.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Do not think that Latias being recently voted into OU means that it is something to take lightly. With excellent all-around stats, two powerful STAB attacks which are only resisted by one type, and a huge usable movepool, Latias is both an offensive and defensive powerhouse. Although it generally does not have the unpredictability of mixed sweepers such as Salamence and Infernape, Latias more than makes up for it with its superior overall defenses and its far superior Speed stat. Latias is the only bulky Pokemon in OU with more over 100 base Speed, a title previously held only by Garchomp.</p>

<p>Latias’ biggest pitfall is its weakness to Dark- and Bug-type attacks. It is very difficult for Latias to avoid being taken out or at least crippled by Choice Band Tyranitar, and Scizor’s U-Turn will force Latias to switch out and its switching effect will likely give the opponent the upper hand. Reflect can handle this to an extent, but Latias will still likely lose more than half its health against either of these Pokemon even with Reflect up, unless it is running a very defensive EV spread.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Tyranitar is Latias’ single greatest counter. Only the Specs set even has a chance to 2HKO Tyranitar, and if it invests in Special Defense then Latias cannot 2HKO without Grass Knot. Even if you feel uncomfortable switching Tyranitar in for fear of a Surf, it can easily revenge kill any Latias with Pursuit.</p>

<p>Scizor is probably the second most popular Latias counter. While it cannot switch into Surf or Hidden Power Fire, the majority of Latias do not run either run (<- This needs to be changed) only a Dragon-type attack or Choice Specs, meaning that Scizor can often come in and U-Turn or Pursuit while taking under 30% damage.</p>

<p>Just about any Steel-type Pokemon can easily switch into Latias, as long as it is careful to avoid Hidden Power Fire or a Choice Specs Surf. Metagross is especially good among these, since its powerful physical attacks and decent Special Defense will usually force Latias to switch or be KOed. Metagross can also use Pursuit to take out Latias even if it switches.</p>

<p>Blissey with a status move (?) makes an excellent counter to almost any Latias set, either by taking it out with Toxic or by crippling it with Thunder Wave to let a teammate finish the job. Anything with high Special Defense and Toxic, such as Vaporeon or Cresselia, can beat Latias similarly. However, if Latias is using Refresh then these Pokemon will be nothing but set-up bait, so it is strongly recommended that you pack an additional counter.</p>

<p>Latias does not enjoy taking Ice Shards, as they hit its weaker Defense stat and bypass its excellent speed. Still, Latias cannot be OHKOed by any Pokemon’s Ice shard, so if you are revenge killing with Mamoswine or Donphan be sure it has taken some prior damage.</p>

Looks good TAY. I made some grammatical and subjective changes in bold (feel free not to take any lol).

Even though it's totally up to preference, Latias, just like Cresselia, is a "she" so that could be the pronoun of choice if you want.

PS I didn't use Quote tags because I thought it would for some reason mess the whole thing up.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
In addition to Jimbo's changes:

Latias is the only bulky Pokemon in OU with more than (removed "over") 100 base Speed, a title previously held only by Garchomp.
I am unsure about keeping this sentence as a whole, as using the term "bulky" is rather subjective in this case.

Scizor is probably the second most popular Latias counter. While it cannot switch into Surf or Hidden Power Fire, the majority of Latias either run only a Dragon-type attack or Choice Specs, meaning that Scizor can often come in and U-Turn or Pursuit while taking under 30% damage.
I would also mention Bullet Punch in here as Latias can easily outspeed you and OHKO with Hidden Power Fire. Bullet Punch 2HKOes most Latias sets, so I feel that is worthy of mention.

Blissey makes an excellent counter to almost any Latias set, either by taking it out with Toxic or by crippling it with Thunder Wave to let a teammate finish the job. Anything with high Special Defense and Toxic, such as Vaporeon or Cresselia, can beat Latias similarly. However, these Pokemon will be nothing but set-up bait if Latias is using Refresh (Changed sentence structure a little bit), so it is strongly recommended that you pack an additional counter.
Just about any Steel-type Pokemon can easily switch into Latias, as long as it is careful to avoid Hidden Power Fire or a Choice Specs Surf. Metagross is especially good among these, since its powerful physical attacks and decent Special Defense will usually force Latias to switch or be KOed. Metagross can also use Pursuit to take out Latias even if it switches.
I would also mention Jirachi, as it only fears boosted Hidden Power Fire thanks to its high Special Defense and HP. It can certainly cause Latias problems with Trick and Choice Scarfed Iron Head, as well as Paralyzing it with Thunder-Wave or Body Slam.

Latias does not enjoy taking Ice Shards from Mamoswine or Weavile (tried to mention more specific "counters", as Ice Shard isn't going to do a whole lot to Latias unless it is coming off of a high attack and STAB), as they hit its weaker Defense stat and bypass its excellent speed. Still, if you are revenge killing with Mamoswine or Weavile, be sure it has taken some prior damage as a full health Latias is never OHKOed by Ice Shard.
I am also unsure if Ice Shard merits its own paragraph. I would personally just say that Weavile and Mamoswine are excellent counters thanks to Ice Shard, so the changes I made should reflect this.

<p>Thunderbolt deals with the few threats that don't mind taking Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt; namely, Suicune, Vaporeon, and especially Empoleon.
Eh... might want to rephrase that... Cune and Vappy aren't taking Life Orbed Draco Meteor's very well, especiall considering it does more than Thunderbolt.

Perhaps rephrase it to

Thunderbolt is a good alternative to dealing with Bulky Waters, namely Suicune, Vaporeon and Empoleon, without getting the SpAtk drop from Draco Meteor.

or something like that.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Suicune is never 2HKOed by Draco Meteor if it has Leftovers and max HP (the defensive sets), so it can just Rest and force Latias out after it has -4 SpA. Vaporeon is never 2HKOed with Protect + Leftovers so can also just Wish and force Latias out. Thunderbolt 2HKOes in both these scenarios, so I'm pretty sure what I wrote is right. (except for the Draco Meteor + Thunderbolt typo).

From LO + 3 Attacks Set:
Even with sandstorm boosting Tyranitar's massive Special Defense, a Life Orb Surf will deal 58.91% - 69.80% to one with max HP.
This statement is incorrect. According to CardsoftheHeart's damage calculator, 58.91% - 69.80% is only dealt when not factoring the sandstorm boost. When taking the sandstorm into account, Latias will deal 39.11% - 46.53% to max HP Tyranitar.

TAY

You and I Know
I am unsure about keeping this sentence as a whole, as using the term "bulky" is rather subjective in this case.
No pokemon in OU with over 100 base speed has either of their HP-defense combinations better than that of latias' with its defense stat. So I think it's a fair thing to say.

Oh and Stellar I though that was referring to a +1 Surf...which would make your calcs correct. But if it needs to be changed, I will change it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Giffca89 is right. That was without factoring in Sandstorm. That needs to be changed.

Sandstorm Results
39.11% - 46.53%

Maybe give Modest nature a mention on the Life Orb + 3 Attacks also? Life Orb Surf + Draco Meteor 2HKOs Tar, and Draco Meteor will 2HKO those bulky waters at that point (I know because I run a life orb set :-P)

You might want to include CB weavile in the counters section as it can revenge kill with STAB pursuit and both STAB's hit super effectively on its meh defence. It also outspeeds unless it runs adamant, then max speed latias outspeeds by one point.

Maybe give Modest nature a mention on the Life Orb + 3 Attacks also? Life Orb Surf + Draco Meteor 2HKOs Tar, and Draco Meteor will 2HKO those bulky waters at that point (I know because I run a life orb set :-P)
I don't see this as a bad idea, seeing that you can actually 2HKO Tar with a life orb boost in a sandstorm. Personally, I think that outrunning things like jolly flygon and salamence comes first when it comes to natures though, since they can force Latias to switch, or kill it off with DC/outrage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)