Probably the most insane and awesome team I've ever battled [SB Warstory]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never say the current metagame is boring. It's fast-paced, versalite and great fun. However, most teams exist of the same pokémon, with the same, powerfull sets. If something sets up Rain Dance, expect a Kingdra. If something starts throwing Spikes, get your stallbreaker out. Most of the time, you know exactly what you're facing.
But once in a blue moon, you get this "special" team against you. And boy, I can tell you, this was one of those insane, bizarre and extremely tense battles.

My (Birdkeeper on shoddybattle) moves and comments will be marked in red
My opponent's (Psycho) moves will be marked in blue
Rain Effects and Leftovers will be mentioned once in green, and after that won't be mentioned again.
Comments on the match will be bolded black
All other actions will be standard black.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
birdkeeper sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
dragonaute sent out Snorlax (lvl 100 Snorlax ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!

The match immediatly starts interesting. Snorlax is rare, excpecially as a lead. Curious, I quickly checked its analysis to find out it doesn't learn Stealth Rock. I really have no idea what he is going to do next, so I decide to simply set up Stealth Rock and see what will happen.

Tyranitar used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Snorlax used Rain Dance.
The sandstorm stopped.
Rain began to fall!
The rain continues to fall.

To my surprise, he sets up Rain dance. To counter incoming water sweepers and maybe cancel the rain later, I switch to Celebi.

birdkeeper switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).
Snorlax used Selfdestruct.
Celebi lost 100% of its health.
birdkeeper's Celebi fainted.
dragonaute's Snorlax fainted.

I totally forgot about Snorlax being able to explode. At least I can now cancel the Rain by switching in Tyranitar.
[5-5]

birdkeeper switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
dragonaute switched in Ludicolo (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).
The rain stopped.
A sandstorm brewed!

Tyranitar cancelled out the Rain, but can't do anything to Ludicolo. I expect it's a Rain Dish staller, so it'll probably set up rain again. I'll switch to Scizor to hit it with U-Turn and then finish him off.

birdkeeper switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Ludicolo used Swords Dance.
Ludicolo's attack was sharply raised.
Ludicolo's leftovers restored its health a little!
Ludicolo restored 6% of its health.

Whoa, I was expecting a Rain Dish Staller and forgot it can also have Swift Swim. Even without a speed boost, this could get dangerous... I decide to continue my plan, WAterfall is going to hurt but I'll survive, and U-Turn will take a big chunk out of his HP. After That Salamence will rpobably be able to finish him off.

Ludicolo used Waterfall.
Scizor lost 59% of its health.
Scizor flinched!

Snap, I got flinched. I don't want to lose Scizor yet, so I switch to Salamence to sponge the Waterfall.

style_rbk_16 has entered the room.
birdkeeper switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Ludicolo's attack!
Ludicolo used Waterfall.
It's not very effective...
Salamence lost 26% of its health.
Salamence's leftovers restored its health a little!
Salamence restored 6% of its health.

I'm faster, so I'll scout with Roost to see if I can set up on him. My Salamence is pretty bulky, so it won't do THAT much damage without a flying type, right?

style_rbk_16 has left the room.
Salamence used Roost.
Salamence restored 26% of its health.
Ludicolo used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 63% of its health.

Holy crap. That's much more than I expected. I don't have anything on my team than can take this ludicolo out safely, so I'll have to make a sacrifice. Starmie should be able to Trick a Scarf on him and lock him into one move, then I can counter it.

birdkeeper switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Ludicolo used Ice Punch.
Starmie lost 16% of its health.
Starmie was frozen solid!

Fuck. Thank God for Natural Cure or I would've lost the match right here. I switch to Scizor to cure Starmie and sponge the Ice Punch

birdkeeper: fuck.
Starmie was defrosted!
birdkeeper switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).

I'll have to sacrifice two pokémon thanks to that unlucky freeze. I use Bullet Punch to at least do some damage, and then get the free switchin to Starmie. Sorry, Scizor.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Ludicolo lost 38% of its health.
Ludicolo used Waterfall.
Scizor lost 41% of its health.
birdkeeper's Scizor fainted.
birdkeeper switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).

Now, to finally cripple that Ludicolo, Trick. Even if he does switch out, he'll at least lose his boosts.
[4-5]

Starmie used Trick.
Starmie obtained Leftovers!
Ludicolo obtained Choice Scarf!
Ludicolo used Seed Bomb.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 78% of its health.
birdkeeper's Starmie fainted.
birdkeeper switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).

It cost me two pokémon to do so, but now Ludicolo is stuck into Seed Bomb. With Ludicolo locked into Seed Bomb, I can switch in with Heatran and set up a sub.
[3-5]

Ludicolo used Seed Bomb.
Heatran lost 19% of its health.
Heatran used Substitute.
Heatran lost 25% of its health.
Heatran made a substitute!
Heatran's leftovers restored its health a little!
Heatran restored 6% of its health.

Sub's up, it seems like he is going to sacrifice Ludicolo now it's crippled. Fire Blast will probably KO Ludicolo now, and even if it doesn't or if he switches I have a substitute.

dragonaute switched in Roidesglaces (lvl 100 Abomasnow ?).
Roidesglaces's Snow Warning whipped up a hailstorm!
The sandstorm stopped.
Hail began to fall!
Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Roidesglaces lost 75% of its health.
dragonaute's Roidesglaces fainted.
dragonaute switched in Ludicolo (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).

Well that was an odd move. Not only did he save his crippled Ludicolo, he also sacrificed his Abomasnow, his SECOND weather changer. What's going on?
I still have my sub, so I can destroy the Ludicolo without problem.
[3-4]

Heatran used Fire Blast.
Ludicolo lost 25% of its health.
dragonaute's Ludicolo fainted.
dragonaute switched in Clefable (lvl 1 Clefable ?).

Okay, first he sacrifices his Abomasnow, then he wastes Ludicolo. Why?
And another weird pokémon is sent out, the unpredictable Clefable. Well, I've got a sub up, so I'll just scout and do some damage with Fire Blast. I still don't know his other pokémon.
[3-3]

birdkeeper: that's one hell of an impressive Ludicolo, damnit
birdkeeper: I got lucky I got a sandstorm in, or I'd already be dead.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Heatran's attack missed!
Clefable used Endeavor.
The substitute took damage for Heatran!
Heatran's substitute faded!

That's one hell of a powerfull Endeavor! I was so fixed on the battle I confused Endeavor with Facade, and think it's a CBed Facade-user hoping for a non-damaging Toxic thanks to Wonder Guard. Wouldn't even be such a weird move, Toxic is a standard move on Sub Heatran. Curious, I just use Sub again even while knowing that's completely useless.

Heatran used Substitute.
Heatran lost 25% of its health.
Heatran made a substitute!
Clefable used Endeavor.
The substitute took damage for Heatran!
Heatran's substitute faded!

Well this isn't going anywhere fast. Tyranitar will easily survive a Choiced Endeavor (my brain is thinking Facade here), and will probably able to beat it.

birdkeeper switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
The hail stopped.
A sandstorm brewed!
Clefable used Endeavor.
Tyranitar lost 97% of its health.

Jesus Christ! How the hell did that happen?
At this point I finally realize I'm fighting a FEAR pokémon. I scroll back up to check, and yup, level 1. Heatran could've killed it on its own, ant Tyranitar will probably be killed after Clefable's Sash is activated. I'm not risking a miss with Stone Edge and go for Earthquake.

birdkeeper: level one >_<
birdkeeper: jesus christ
Tyranitar used Earthquake.
Clefable lost 100% of its health.
Clefable hung on using its Focus Sash!
Clefable used Toxic.
Tyranitar was badly poisoned!

Tyranitar hangs on thanks to Leftovers. This explains his weird Abomasnow switchin, he had to set up Hail to negate Leftovers.

Clefable used Protect.
Clefable protected itself!
Clefable protected itself!
The sandstorm rages.
Tyranitar is hurt by poison!
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.

Tyranitar now hangs on to 1 HP. It's dead, and even though Clefable is too, FEAR Clefable has succesfully killed one of my pokémon.

Clefable used Protect.
But it failed!
Clefable lost 8% of its health.
dragonaute's Clefable fainted.
Tyranitar is hurt by poison!
Tyranitar lost 9% of its health.
birdkeeper's Tyranitar fainted.

I'm in a really bad situation here. Psycho has two hidden pokémon left, whilst I only have a heavily damaged Salamence and Heatran left. In this case, the fastest pokémon is probably the best option to switch in.
[2-2]

birdkeeper switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
dragonaute switched in Cleffa (lvl 1 Cleffa ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Cleffa's attack!

Yeah, I see it coming now. But I can't really do much about it. Salamence can get it to 1 HP but will then be killed by sandstorm. I'll just sacrifice Salamence, I don't have another option. Heatran might be immune to sandstorm, but Endeavor from a lvl 1 Cleffa will make him useless and I don't know exactly what Cleffa is carrying.

Salamence used Dragon Claw.
Cleffa lost 100% of its health.
Cleffa hung on using its Focus Sash!
Cleffa used Endeavor.
Salamence lost 37% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Salamence is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Salamence lost 0% of its health.
birdkeeper's Salamence fainted.
birdkeeper switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).

Now the only thing I have left is Heatran, who can easily kill Cleffa. But that last pokémon will probably finish me off..
[1-2]

Heatran used Earth Power.
Cleffa lost 8% of its health.
dragonaute's Cleffa fainted.
dragonaute switched in Reinedesglaces (lvl 100 Froslass ?).

Froslass is without a doubt faster. If it carries Thunderbolt, which most do, I'm dead. Setting up a sub here is useless so I just use Fire Blast (Earth Power wouldvé been a much better option though, I don't think he would've survived that).
[1-1]

Reinedesglaces used Thunder Wave.
Heatran is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Heatran is paralysed! It can't move!

I may not be able to move this turn, but at least Froslass doesn't carry Thunderbolt. At this point I'm so worked up I don't even think about my chances (only my hate for Fire Blast's acc. flashes by) and just hope for the kill.

Reinedesglaces used Shadow Ball.
Heatran lost 16% of its health.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Reinedesglaces lost 69% of its health.
dragonaute's Reinedesglaces fainted.
birdkeeper wins!
dragonaute has left the room.

I really jumped out of my chair of joy. Heatran survives and actually hits with Fire Blast for once, which settles the game. It's a pity psycho stopped so suddenly, I really wanted to compliment him for this insane battle and his wacky team. So Psycho, if you read this, thanks for the great match!
[1-0]

My team:

Psycho's team:

Props go to
-psycho for his suprising, risky and original team
-Tyranitar for saving me from a sweep just by setting up Sandstorm
-Heatran for being the best pokémon ever
-Ludicolo for being extremely dangerous
-the adrenalyne that's still pumping through my veins.

Slops go to
-Nothing in particular, really. Okay, there was some hax involved, and I should've realised Clefable was a FEAR pokémon, but without those mistakes it never would've been such a cool battle.
I know most people frown upon FEAR and I usually do too, but using Magic Guard to negate residuals and weather and Cleffa taking down Salamence is just badass.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No you don't need pictures in the battle. That should not become mandatory for warstories. That's just a ridiculous demand coming from the vast majority of members who don't even write warstories (even fewer who write good ones). Saying this as someone with 3 archived warstories: I'm never taking the effort to do it. F that.

About the actual warstory, your comments overall were ok and the enemy's team was certainly interesting. However, you both played a poor middle-game which was dissappointing. His Sacrifice of Ludicolo was ridiculous (though he played the set brilliantly up to that point). Your failure to noticed endeaver-clefable was also dissappointing (considering this is one of Clefable's most notorious [read: predictable] OU sets, especially with hail).

Anyway, decent effort, but mistakes on both sides and a lot of early hax makes this warstory much worse than what I think the writer is capable of.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Well, the comments were extremely lacking. You just said "Oh no! Time to switch, SNAP, gimmick set, i dont want to get killed, i will switch again".
Adding why you did that move would have helped a lot, you should see some of the warstories here.

Also, this wasnt a decent battle, it was a really lacking battle, use a better one next.

The format was nice so yeah, keep it.

Meh okay, I'll add some more comments :/

I actually didn't post the battle because either one of us played reasonably well, in fact I played like crap not expecting the Clefable. I just thought the game was interesting BECAUSE of those mistakes, seeing how close it was and how bizarre the team.

I have made a warstory before, which is about me winning by stalling someone out by battle timer. There are more than enough warstories about normal battles, I'd thought I'd try something different for once.

EDIT: I added the new comments

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Then for future reference, big stupid mistakes in battle kill its potential for warstory, regardless of other strengths. Mis-predictions don't kill a battle, but flat out stupid mistakes like not noticing the level 1 notice or not reading the log to see endeavor or bringing in a ludicolo in against a heatran on your free switch in kill battles (mistakes on EITHER side, don't warstory battles where your opponent makes really dumb mistakes). So, generally speaking, if a battle has things like miss-clicks or moves like the ones mentioned that are bad for obvious reasons, it's not worth the effort to try warstorying it despite anything interesting that might have happened.

Then for future reference, big stupid mistakes in battle kill its potential for warstory, regardless of other strengths. Mis-predictions don't kill a battle, but flat out stupid mistakes like not noticing the level 1 notice or not reading the log to see endeavor or bringing in a ludicolo in against a heatran on your free switch in kill battles (mistakes on EITHER side, don't warstory battles where your opponent makes really dumb mistakes). So, generally speaking, if a battle has things like miss-clicks or moves like the ones mentioned that are bad for obvious reasons, it's not worth the effort to try warstorying it despite anything interesting that might have happened.
I didn't even misread the battle log, I just mixed up the effects of Facade and Endeavor.

Well, I must say I'm surprised I get such bad comments. To me it looked like a fun and original match because I was at one end of it, but for a reviewer it's simply two idiots making a lot of mistakes. That's a pity, because I enjoyed it a lot.

It was enjoyable. I agree with its purpose and thought that the short comments made a nice quick read, (not long and boring). Also, while it was "why didn't he just do..." during a few turns, ultimately it was interesting to see what the team included. When I saw that Snorlax set up Rain Dance I didn't know what to think, and I got fascinated with the warstory.

Cool Warstory, just not "the standards" most people are used to.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I don't mind gimmicks as long as they're played well (and the opponent also responded as best he could). I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for not noting what the log tells you or mistaking what different moves do.

I'll give you a good comment, because I liked the warstory. The Snorlax lead was a real suprise, and Ludicolo was used very well by your opponent. It was short enough and enjoyable to read.
But there were downsides, like confusing facade with endeaver and not looking and the log for the level 1 (or 2) thing. If your next battle doesn't have these stupid mistakes and has that special thing, it could be a really nice warstory.
So, not let these comments discourage you, and when you have a good battle, warstory it :)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Amazing battle. lol at cleffa beating Salamence and 69% (I hope you get that... if not then oh well.) That was a helluva good Ludicolo on the opponent's part. Good job!

The whole midgame confused me with so many mistakes and sacrifices. Not a great warstory-able battle. I mean, I would try again with a different battle and it might be better on your part.

The short length of the battle made it a nice quick read-through, had it been drawn out more it would have become stale.

The biggest draw of the battle and what fed my interest was simply to see what your opponent was going to pull out next. The team set up made this battle post worthy, if for nothing more than a "wtf" factor. I must admit, however, that the major mid-battle mistakes keep this from being a warstory for the ages.

Nice warstory! I liked your comments throughout the battle! I'll love to read more of your warstories! Nice job on the match, I agree though, Singles got way to boring and repetitive for me, so I switched to Doubles. You'd be surprised the changed of pace they bring.

All in all, best warstory I've read in a long time!

Haha, thanks for the great replies. It seems like the lower the postcount of the poster, the more appreciated my warstory was. Really says something about smogon.. :P
I'm battling a lot, trying to get a nice new warstory, but a lot of players quit after some good predictions from my side.. >_>

I think this thread can be closed now, it had more fame than it deserved already

caelum edit: locked at user request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)