Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Which code are you using? The one that changes the TMs? If so remember that the IVs are listed HP/Atk/Def/Spe/SpA/SpD. I had that problem too, and it was because I was entering the IVs in the wrong order.
Now I feel stupid. XD; Thanks for helping.

Did you put fat next to my name when quoting? XD

Edit: Oh..now I see. xD;

Does it not work if you don't get a coin flip result? I got a Careful nature that took 300 taps and 0 coin flips. I tapped it 300 times exactly...and the Turtwig wasn't shiny. D:

Does it not work if you don't get a coin flip result? I got a Careful nature that took 300 taps and 0 coin flips. I tapped it 300 times exactly...and the Turtwig wasn't shiny. D:
No it should still work. You must've made a mistake somewhere in there. Make sure you followed the steps exactly- 5 pokemon in your party, don't start on the happiness checker etc.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Something I noticed. If you breed a Pokemon that's gender is not 50/50 (Like Cradily) does the gender part of the spreads fail?

Because this Cradily was supposed to be female, but it's male, and I think it's because of it's weird gender ratio.
You saw the different columns for the different gender ratio's right?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just did a bit of an experiment in FRLG for the hell of it, using save states to freeze and manipulate the RNG to my advantage, but it utterly failed. It appears that the RNG in those games moves a lot faster than 60 frames/second.

It actually comes out to about 120 frames/second, using my very hastily rounded and truncated math. Yes, I did account for the fact that I was running VBA at 2x speed.

You have to account for the one RNG call required to create the egg; try 299 taps and 11 flips
But won't you be too early then? Only after the egg is created it advances the IRNG, so you want it to be exactly where you want it don't you?

I do everything perfectly. Just like you are supposed to. But I never get a shiny. Or a delay near 600. They are usually above 2000...Why?

Hrm that's surprising to me. From all I have read these sorts of exploits (mainly related to soft resetting legends) were not possible because the "delay" part of the seed ran at a MUCH higher frequency than the one in Platinum. This probably needs some investigation to see if there are any differences at all not.
I found out the point in which the seed is set from outside the PRNG. Fun thing is:
onEnterBattle:
* 0201B9D4 read out current seed
* 0201B9E0 write another seed.
(...) battle
after battle:
* 0201B9E0 write seed - and it's the same that was read out previously.
So battle seeds the PRNG anew and restores the seed afterwards.

Breakpointer 0201B9E0 and watched a reset:
- Before anything happened, seed 46020009 was poked.
(makes sense, at 2 o'clock in the morning, on 9th of april)
- A moment later, seed 0 was poked.
- Another moment later, seed 46020009 was poked again.
- After selecting Continue, seed 7802021F was poked. Time: 02:26AM

4*9+26=62d. pad with less than 60 seconds -> 122d
so first byte could be expected to be between 3E and 79. (it is)

2 AM -> second byte corrent.

offset never reached 2^16 (and I don't really care about the 09 from the year)

Scented a Pokemon and caught: PID is 116B15B3, fed the DVs into RNG-Reporter (yes, when having the PID, this is kind of stupid) and RNG-Reporter finds the seed 7802021F as initial.

btw: I peeked at the initial seed a number of times and it always seems to match pretty well with the (month*day+minute+second)_(hour)_(ratherlow)-formula.

So whoever said that there's a higher framerate for the initial seed should show some of his results.

I haven't yet checked whether eggRNG works exactly the same as said for platinum, but from what I've seen until now, I strongly believe that this topic could be renamed into "Platinum and D/P PRNG Research".

There are some people who reoprted success with D/P, right?

TCC

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Not everyone on this forum has Platinum yet, which kinda made me feel better about this shiny RNG cracking. However, I'd bet 95% of people on Smogon have Diamond/Pearl and now know that they can crack the RNG and produce shinies like a Ford assembly line. Now flawless pokemon aren't good enough. Now it's going to be " OCTUPLE FLAWLESS AND SHINY NAO!!!1!". It's massive inflation. No one is going to be settling for regular colored pokemon now. Those of us that did get a shiny by chance (I have about 4, 2 of which are somewhat competitively viable), feel a little worse about it. My green Salamence has now shed a tear, knowing that all the local kids will be getting their own shinies and he's not special anymore.

I'm not telling you guys that you shouldn't have done it, but this RNG cracking isn't having me feel good. I suppose this has one good effect though. There are a handful of kids on my block that use the all shiny AR code because they want shinies desperately. I have a feeling that if they knew there was a way to get (semi) legit shinies, they'd do that rather than using the AR code.

There's a school of people that don't accept Emerald RNG breeds as finals. I predict there will be those of us that won't accept 4th gen RNG breeds.
Rant ends here.
I would like to reply to this

Let's remember that when everything is shiny, nothing is. So nothing's being ruined here, but rather it's now a personal preference between one thing being shiny or not. Say you like Shiny Charizard. That's great, you can breed for that. Say you don't like shiny Swampert. Well don't breed it shiny then. Now that their value is equal, the only thing standing between normal and shiny and their decision is a person's tendency to go for the shiny. Once this information has been known for a long time people will eventually cease their "shinies are everything" mentality.

I have captured a few shinies on my own by chance (won't tell you them, and I've never Pokeradared anything). Though this might come biased as they're either legendary (most of them are, and only one decently IVed), or useless. I can feel your pain that your Green mence no longer becomes as viable. Kinda makes me feel sad that Vliegtuig's Shiny Latias beats mine (his has 29/2/29/29/31/31 Timid. Who could beat that without resorting to hacks or insane luck?). But I've learned to deal with it.

Also, there is no way to prove that your Pokemon is RNG bred. People will continue cheating of the so called "RNG-less" SBPs and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

The good thing is though, that once the method of passing IVs down in Platinum is fully exploitable, there's no need to die for a Pokemon when you can make it yourself. It will revolutionize breeding and perhaps soft resetting when we go that far. I'm very hopeful of this.

td;dr: The times have changed. People's standards rise as they compete over one another, so you'd have to expect that your things will be outclassed in a while. This is a step towards perfection

Syberia

[custom user title]
The good thing is though, that once the method of passing IVs down in Platinum is fully exploitable, there's no need to die for a Pokemon when you can make it yourself. It will revolutionize breeding and perhaps soft resetting when we go that far. I'm very hopeful of this.
It is at this point that I think trading will mostly be done for parents, not final products.

Try testing it at normal speed first.
I will try this, but I can't see rounding error causing my result to double.

EDIT: There's something odd going on here. I tried normal speed, catching one pokemon immediately and checking its seed. I then used the "monster seed" value outputted by RNGReporter as a starting point for when I caught my next pokemon (I re-loaded a save state so the RNG should be seeded the same). I waited 60 seconds, caught a pokemon, and got something that's not on RNGReporter's list, up to 999,999 frames out from my initial seed. I repeated this three times, each time getting a result not on the list.

What am I doing wrong, or is FR/LG that messed up that even using save states does not cause the RNG to behave in the same way?

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Snipped Technical Talk
Awesome work, I think I did guess correctly that they were reseeding with a stored seed and not doing an actual rewind ;)

As for the original statements on D/P, well most came from Japanese sites so to be honest it was taken from there, and early results (I did ask someone to test it a while back either here or on IRC) did not come out positive so I think it just sort of got taken for granted.

Lots of work now piled up for the OP.

I really need to retitle, change the text, AND fully document "Method J" for egg generation.

Plus I am trying to get RNG Reporter ready for another release with a cleaned up version of the tool Jonny used to exploit egg IVs (it's currently pretty nasty and I am very impressed he used it to good results). And then there will be that documentation.

But fun times :)

EDIT: There's something odd going on here. I tried normal speed, catching one pokemon immediately and checking its seed. I then used the "monster seed" value outputted by RNGReporter as a starting point for when I caught my next pokemon (I re-loaded a save state so the RNG should be seeded the same). I waited 60 seconds, caught a pokemon, and got something that's not on RNGReporter's list, up to 999,999 frames out from my initial seed. I repeated this three times, each time getting a result not on the list.

What am I doing wrong, or is FR/LG that messed up that even using save states does not cause the RNG to behave in the same way?
I think I can explain that.

Help me first -- What method is the pokemon you are catching for the initial seed?

Because the RNG reporter initial seed finder is only doing the IVs -> PID -> Seed for method 1 pokemon since that's all we needed for it to be effective for 4th gen games.

Awesome, mingot. I'll definitely be looking forward to the new version of the RNG Reporter. Then I can finally be done with this cursed shiny Larvitar.

Syberia

[custom user title]
I think I can explain that.

Help me first -- What method is the pokemon you are catching for the initial seed?

Because the RNG reporter initial seed finder is only doing the IVs -> PID -> Seed for method 1 pokemon since that's all we needed for it to be effective for 4th gen games.
I used Mewtwo specifically to avoid that problem. Save a .sgm in front of Mewtwo, restore it, immediately catch Mewtwo, check its IVs/seed. Restore .sgm again, wait a minute, catch Mewtwo again. Input its IVs/nature into RNGReporter and search from the seed of the first Mewtwo up to 999,999 frames. No match.

I was doing fine reporting into the RNG Reporter until just now. I'm reporting the time and sweet scenting almost on the minute and I'm getting delays in the thousands. Does anyone know why this is?

It's not the minute you sweet scent.
Edit: I think I found what I was doing wrong. If I only put in single digits for Month/Day, I'll futz it up, correct?

td;dr: The times have changed. People's standards rise as they compete over one another, so you'd have to expect that your things will be outclassed in a while. This is a step towards perfection
Old Jibaku:
Breeding has changed. It's no longer about shininess, egg chains or IV codes. It's an endless series of soft resets, pressed by cheaters and the legit-obsessed. Breeding, and its consumption of the Pokeconomy, has become a well oiled machine.
Breeding has changed. IV bred Pokemon carry IV generated shininess, use IV bred Hidden Powers. Pokerus in their bodies enhance and regulate the speed of EV-training. Genetic control. Information control. Value control. Everything is mapped out and kept under control.
Breeding has changed. The age of well-bred elitism has become the age of control. All in the name of producing the WiFi metagame possible. And he who controls the WiFi metagame controls history.
Breeding has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, breeding... becomes routine.

Commentary (for those of you who don't want to hear me bitch, skip this):
I wouldn't want to skip this, you're adressing some very important philosophical and ethical questions in it.

First of all, doing this exploit (do we have some catchy name for it, yet?) is not too easy. While Chaining takes a lot of patience and luck and many repels, this one needs you to find out the DVs/IVs. This can be done by lots of rare candys (can't be bought, AFAIR) or cheat module.

I always thought that people having an AR or pokesav already have their options. Of course, stupid cheaters will do some obvious mistakes in creating their fakes, but eggs always have been a problem. It's one thing that bugs me in the Shiny-Clique - they're not fakes, but as you can't verify them and call them 100%legit, it's no real information.
People having their tools know that - at least the ones that know about legit checking - and what's the need to go through reversePRNGing and tapping the poketch a quadrillion times if you can cheat an egg that is exactly the same within the five minutes of creating it in pokesav?

It's like the double-edge of science is single-edge only. Nuclear power yields nuclear bomb. But in this case, there already is a nuclear bomb and it's far more easier doing it not-the-rng-way.

There will always be people who "play" the game. Wander through the story, use the pokemon they get, finish the E4 and afterstory and then call it's a day.
There will always be kids who love their Piplup because it's the first pokemon they got and it's cute and they don't care whether it's shiny or high-power-DV.
So resetting for shinys and flawless DV has always been the scope for some more... "competitive" (word wrong?) players. Players who want to be the best in battling, battle tower and every battle that might arise. I never really understood them - You often have to start all this stuff after the story's over and as you don't get exp for this battles you can't watch your Pokemon grow.
I hope I'm not the only one seeing those "hardcore battlers" as totally different from regular players. Those already put a lot of work into "improving" their Pokemon and RNGing won't change so much about it.

Shinys are not special. Not anymore. Maybe they used to be, back in gold/silver/crystal when they were designed to show kids the use of GBC. But since GameFreaks decided to flood the market with D/P, that time is long over. Think about it: 1:8192 reduced to 1:2048 simply by choosing the parents - or ~1:200 by chaining. The only thing missing is a guaranteed shiny in story but I guess if the G/S remakes arrive, they'll put in the shiny gyarados again.
Plus: Many shinys don't look special. Evoli's one of my favourite Pokemon but like some other Pokes, it's shiny forme doesn't look any better. I like Ponita and Pachirisu for the same reason - you know they're something as soon as they flash into sight. But I guess they're not worth much at competitive battling.

Some time ago, I started believeing, that Pokemon is doing something very wrong. This means the event-pokemon-stuff - keeping kids from content they bought (in germany those events are very few, in the countrys next to us it's often like none), increasing the number of legendarys while still only giving one master ball (After throwing dozens of hyper balls onto sleeping 1HP-pokemon, one realizes that it's just unfair. I decided to give out MasterBalls then), plus making the shinys so "unspecially special" - making some kids hunt them like crazy.
If someone really wants a shiny, I think it's best to give them the road - instead of letting them starve for hours, days or weeks (Shiny Egg Hunting ran for 1.5 years in a german forum and kids really had their DS on power for days or weeks). After some shinys they'll realise they're not really special - especially if you hunt, cheat or breed them in numbers. If they don't - poor kids.

Some shinys will always be special. I'll never forget the first time that Golbat flashed over my screen (victory road). After it was caught I could have exploded with joy. My second shiny was a Graveller and I guess I had sweaty hands for fearing it might simply explode. Snover on jap. Platinum was a real surprise, too.
They are special - because they showed up randomly. If you caught them yourself, you'll always remember them.
As soon as you start manipulating, they lose a lot of their worth - be it chaining, rng-breeding, resetting or cheating. Random shinys showing up in the wild will always be special in your heart - and even if there's no more regular pokemon, your own caught wild shiny will still be special to you.

TCC

So even D/P is broken like this? That's very interesting. After Emerald's broken RNG was discovered was D/P not checked? Are their seed generators similar? I doubt I'm using the right lingo for that last sentence...but hey, I'm trying to familiarize myself with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)