My first Team (A UU RMT)

Ok, well this is my first team and post here in smogon! I usually read a ton about the current things and decided to try the UU Tier. I built this team just today and have been testing it for a bit. Its most likely pretty bad, but bear with me.

My Team at a glance...

Ambipom (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Swift
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

My lead is a very common lead in UU, but this one has a slight twist. Usually I do one of two things on turn one, A. Sub or Nasty Plot. If my sub is up, I'll try to Nasty Plot as many times (usually 1-2) untill I feel its enough, or the sub breaks. In late game, He can do some damage with a 135 base powered Swift if he has a Nasty Plot or two. He provides a big roll in my team, providing my two Special Sweepers (Electrode and Espeon) with a ton of power.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/52 Atk/4 Spd/200 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

This is my main wall, and boy does it do his job well. With great Defenses, he can take many hits. He also sets up SR and can cripple many Sweepers with Thunder Wave. Iron head is great with its flinch if it ever does stay in on a paralized opponet. The EVs give him Special Durability and also some power, and the 4 speed EVs are just to mabye outspeed other Registeels.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/8 Def/8 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Azumarill is an absolute beast. With 654 Attack, it can put a dent in a Lot of things. The EVs provide some durability, while maintaining its power. He has really has helped in the past with his Aqua Jet, being the only priority on the team.

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Electrode is one of the Two sweepers on my team that get Baton Passed the Nasty Plots. I choose Electrode because of its Speed and Typing, being the fastest Pokemon in UU and also having a STAB Thunderbolt. Signal Beam is for Shaymin and Psychics, while Explosion is just to finish up. Hidden Power Fighting is for the Steel and Rock types in the Tier, and really help with Dark types that worry this next Sweeper.

Hanekoma (Espeon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 6 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Espeon is the other Sweeper who gets the boosts from Nasty Plot, and can use it well. Having a Special Attack Base of 130, it can hit Very hard. Having a Small movepoll does limit to only Grass Knot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Signal Beam. Its really a great pokemon and helps a ton when sweeping.

Swellow (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Facade
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Protect/Quick Attack

I don't know why, but this seems to me to be the weakest link in the team. Its really simple, Protect, and sweep, But it just doesn't really fit with my team. I want to replace it with most likely a bulky sweeper, like Rydon, but don't know whats best.​

So, thats my team, and please help!

I noticed your team has a large weakness to Fighting, which is a very common attacking type. Only Espeon resists it, and she's frail.

I suggest switching Espeon to Mismagius, who can perform a similar task. This gives you a fighting immunity. What's great is that Ambipom can pass Nasty Plots to Mismagius easily because she can come in freely on those Close Combats/Brick Breaks/Earthquakes.

A set that can work is
Substitute
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting
Thunderbolt

These moves give great coverage, and substitute can help block status from pokemon like Chansey and Regice. Just max speed and special attack.

Everything else seems ok, but I might also consider changing Ambipoms item to something like Salac Berry so when you pass to Electrode or Mismagius even random scarfers don't mess up your sweep.

Hope I helped. ^^

I think the fact that you have a Swellow on your team is a good idea seeing as he's a good switch in on pokes who will use EQ on your others. You may just need more practice with prediction for him or maybe some new strategies outside of protect/sweep. You could possible Life Orb the Azumarill instead of banding it leaving you with a more diverse Azumarill if you're willing to deal with the percent drop. Hmmm that's all I can really think of right now =/ sorry. You can PM me if you want if you really want to get into it though ^_^. Lol

@Kagster: My main problem with Missy is that she can't hit as hard and is not as fast as Espeon. 105/130 and 105/110 are much different(The former, the latter is not as big, but still is important). Plus, Espeon can Revenge Kill many Fighting types, only Gallade, who is now BL, is not easily handled. What else could I switch, like mabye RegiSteel for Slowbro?

@Z00M: I actually have problems with Azumarill and CB, so I'll switch that now, Thanks.

Hmmmm your lead looks fine since you are using it as a BP lead. Not really sure though maybe a sash to assure a pass. I have tried a scarfed espy it does not work very well. Even with max spec. attack modest she is walled too easily and lacks the power to sweep as much as you want. With all the steels in UU it is unlikely she will do much. I agree Kagster on the mismagius set. She has much more opportunities to com ein and set up her sub. Also, with a NP pass she can be deadly from behind a sub. It should at least guarantee one kill. Definatley LO on azumarill. Band is wasted. Her priority might be strong but to be locked in on...not so much. LO makes her beastly. I use focus punch over superpower because it works with my team. Catch something she can scare away and deliver a strong FP to the incomer. It actaully works quite well... even in OU. How it would work with your particular team...idk, but whatever floats your boat. If you wish to use LO and not FP, ditch superpower for brick break. It might not be as powerful, but it will give you consistent damage to keep her in longer. Why electrode? Yes, he is fast, but very frail. How often does he receive a successful pass? I don't know what to sub him for, but maybe something sturdier. Over swellow, I don't know what to put either. With her inability to get through steels/rocks messes with her. I would suggest honchkrow, but he has been losing his effectivness because it's rise in usage. People can predict a sucer punch from a mile away.

I really hope I helped. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. ^_^

Mismagius learns Psychic if you really want something that hits Fighting types SE, although with immunity to Fighting and a shit load of SpA already (assuming a Nasty Plot was passed to it), it should be able to take on many Fighters even without it. I'd certainly recommend Missy, as the incredibly frail (physically, atleast) Espeon will not be able to repeatedly switch in on Close Combat from guys like Hitmonlee.

If you must keep Espeon, then I suggest removing the Choice Scarf. With 110 base speed, Espeon outspeeds the vast majority of the UU tier already, and if you are passing Nasty Plot to it then being able to switch attacks will really help you sweep (i.e. if you're locked on Psychic, a Dark type like Drapion ends your sweep instantly, whereas without a Choice Scarf you could hit Drapion with Signal Beam).

With Swellow, I would try to keep it hidden until you've either killed your opponent's Steel or Rock type, have weakened it sufficiently, or in some cases discovered that they do not have a Steel or Rock type Pokemon; usually this means saving Swellow until lategame, where it usually makes an exceptional cleaner. With constant damage from Toxic Orb and SR weakness, Swellow does not want to be switching in very often at all. You want to just switch it in once, when you are sure that it will sweep. Furthermore, if you don't let the other guy see your Swellow, he'll probably be more reckless with his Registeel/Steelix/whatever, giving you a better chance to kill it and pave the way for Swellow.

Unfortunately, this may be difficult because Swellow is the only Pokemon on your team good for absorbing Earthquakes and Earth Powers, possibly forcing you to bring it out early so that your other Pokemon don't have to take one of those attacks. Once again, Mismagius, with its Ground immunity, would fix this issue.

Since Electrode is running Explosion, you may want to change the nature to something that doesn't lower Attack. You may also want to run a +SpA nature instead of a +Speed nature, since with 140 base Speed Electrode is outrunning pretty much everything already (there is only one other Pokemon in all of UU that can possibly outrun neutral-natured Electrode without using Scarf; Swellow), but has pretty low SpA (only 80 base is pretty lackluster for a sweeper, even if you are passing NP to it).

Consider putting Explosion on Registeel over Earthquake. Explosion is just a great move to put on almost any Pokemon that learns it.

If you want a bulky sweeper to replace Swellow, I suggest a Rock Polishing Torterra. Azumarill and Registeel can switch in on ice attacks, and Torterra gets basically a free switch in on both Registeel and Steelix.

However, your current fighting weakness means perhaps you should try something else.

Crobat@Life Orb
Jolly 252 atk/252 spd/6 hp
Brave Bird
Cross Poison
U-turn
Roost

could work quite well. U-turning the Steel switch-in and going to Azumarill is good, and Crobat packs a huge amount of power behind Brave Bird. Cross Poison could be replaced with other moves.

Ok, well this is my first team and post here in smogon! I usually read a ton about the current things and decided to try the UU Tier. I built this team just today and have been testing it for a bit. Its most likely pretty bad, but bear with me.

My Team at a glance...

Ambipom (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SAtk
- Baton Pass
- Swift
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

My lead is a very common lead in UU, but this one has a slight twist. Usually I do one of two things on turn one, A. Sub or Nasty Plot. If my sub is up, I'll try to Nasty Plot as many times (usually 1-2) untill I feel its enough, or the sub breaks. In late game, He can do some damage with a 135 base powered Swift if he has a Nasty Plot or two. He provides a big roll in my team, providing my two Special Sweepers (Electrode and Espeon) with a ton of power.

Is this your lead? I suggest giving it Taunt over substitute to prevent foes from setting up SR.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/52 Atk/4 Spd/200 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

This is my main wall, and boy does it do his job well. With great Defenses, he can take many hits. He also sets up SR and can cripple many Sweepers with Thunder Wave. Iron head is great with its flinch if it ever does stay in on a paralized opponet. The EVs give him Special Durability and also some power, and the 4 speed EVs are just to mabye outspeed other Registeels.

Not bad but no self recovery. Rest Talk is an option.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/8 Def/8 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Azumarill is an absolute beast. With 654 Attack, it can put a dent in a Lot of things. The EVs provide some durability, while maintaining its power. He has really has helped in the past with his Aqua Jet, being the only priority on the team.

Eh, I don't really like SuperPower. Brick Break breaks through common reflects and light screens and also has no downside. 654 attack is enough. Most steels in UU are 4x weak to fighting anyway Aggron,Bastiodon, Probopass. Go for brick break here so you could possibly sweep.

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Electrode is one of the Two sweepers on my team that get Baton Passed the Nasty Plots. I choose Electrode because of its Speed and Typing, being the fastest Pokemon in UU and also having a STAB Thunderbolt. Signal Beam is for Shaymin and Psychics, while Explosion is just to finish up. Hidden Power Fighting is for the Steel and Rock types in the Tier, and really help with Dark types that worry this next Sweeper.

Hmm, Orignal I like. Don't see anything wrong here except the Hidden Power. You could switch to HP Ice as I dont think Thunderbolt does a lot on the dragon types.

Hanekoma (Espeon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 6 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Espeon is the other Sweeper who gets the boosts from Nasty Plot, and can use it well. Having a Special Attack Base of 130, it can hit Very hard. Having a Small movepoll does limit to only Grass Knot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Signal Beam. Its really a great pokemon and helps a ton when sweeping.

If you're running choice scarf, give it a modest nature. There is not much in UU faster than a scarfed Espeon. The only thing I can see you worried about are electrodes but your team can handle them. You will still be able to have him really fast with a lot of power. Or, if you want to keep timid give him choice specs.

Swellow (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Facade
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Protect/Quick Attack

I don't know why, but this seems to me to be the weakest link in the team. Its really simple, Protect, and sweep, But it just doesn't really fit with my team. I want to replace it with most likely a bulky sweeper, like Rydon, but don't know whats best.​

Keep Swellow it's really fast and a good choice, unless you wish to add Staraptor

So, thats my team, and please help!

Keep Swellow it's really fast and a good choice, unless you wish to add Staraptor
Staraptor isn't usable in UU any longer.

You could switch to HP Ice as I dont think Thunderbolt does a lot on the dragon types.
The only fully evolved Dragon type in UU is Altaria, who takes neutral damage from T-bolt.

Most steels in UU are 4x weak to fighting anyway Aggron,Bastiodon, Probopass.
Steelix and Registeel are by far and away more popular than the Steel/Rock types (all 3 of which made NU I believe).

I would imagine that a Choice Band Azumarill is more of a hit-and-run Pokemon than one designed to sweep; being locked into one move and having 50 base Speed aren't exactly traits that lend themselves towards sweeping through entire teams. As such, Superpower seems more appropriate than Brick Break for delivering much more damage on a one-time use. That's really up to the topic creator's personal preference, though.

As such, Superpower seems more appropriate than Brick Break for delivering much more damage on a one-time use. That's really up to the topic creator's personal preference, though.
Superpower has more damage output than Brick Break on its first 2 uses (120 power, then 80 power). Further, if you use them consecutively, Brick Break doesn't catch up in damage until the 5th use. Brick Break gets rid of screens (and thus is more powerful in Reflect), and it doesn't have a defense drop. Those are its only 2 advantages over Superpower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)