UU RMT: Tanking w/ Porygon2

Recently I've been attempting to use Porygon2 effectively in UU play. It usually finds itself a niche on OU teams looking to counter specific threats like Gyarados and Salamence, but it can be better than mediocre in the lower tiers, specifically through the use of Download. This team is not centered around Porygon2, but Porygon2's tankish feel has fit this team fairly well.

Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Nasty Plot
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Heat Wave
~ Roost

Nasty Plot Crobat is a tremendous lead. Using its Speed and unpredictability, it can be quite easy for Crobat to pull off a Nasty Plot. Inner Focus is great for negating Fake Out leads. Although Crobat doesn't have the best Special Attack, a combination of Life Orb, Nasty Plot, and Crobat's Speed make it threatening. Sludge Bomb provides a strong STAB attack while Heat Wave hits Steel-types.

The main goal of using Nasty Plot Crobat is to keep the pressure on the opponent from square one. Crobat usually takes out at least one Pokemon if it pulls off a Nasty Plot. Unless it is completely walled, I'll usually keep Crobat in to get a heavy hit on an opponent's wall, assuming Crobat has set up, and clean up with Hitmontop. The fact that I have seen Crobat survive a Thunderbolt from Magmortar means that it has the defenses to take a hit without EV investment, which is critical. Roost is mostly filler, but it can come in handy if Crobat can afford to come in later. Doubtful, with Stealth Rock around.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpA
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Charge Beam
~ Ice Beam
~ Tri Attack
~ Recover

This thing can be a nice surprise for the opponent. I switch it in to something which (a) doesn't cause Porygon2 trouble and (b) whose base Defense is greater than or equal to its Special Defense in order to gain the +1 SpA boost from Download. Charge Beam over Thunderbolt to add further boosts to its Special Attack (62% chance, if I recall correctly). Tri Attack provides STAB while having the added bonus of potentially inflicting status. Ice Beam was originally Psychic in order to surprise Fighting-types which think they can switch in for free, but this team doesn't have enough trouble with Fighting-types to merit the loss of coverage. Ice Beam also covers Grass-types like Tangrowth, whose SubSeeding variant has been a particular annoyance to this team. Recover gives Porygon2 the properties of a tank.

The EV spread is pretty much up in the air. Sometimes, even after a boost from Charge Beam, Porygon2 doesn't seem to be doing the mass amounts of damage that I want it to. However, I'm probably taking the Defense boost from the EV investment for granted, as Porygon2 has been quite successful at Recovering off more damage than it has taken. Obviously, this set is completely walled by Steelix. Hidden Power Fighting has been a consideration, as Ice Beam is decidedly less useful in UU than in OU.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SpA
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Calm Mind
~ Slack Off
~ Surf
~ Psychic

Probably my favorite tank. It shrugs off most physical attacks, heals the damage, and Calm Minds. Psychic is definitely my favorite attack for the last slot, as Fighting-types have sometimes bluffed and stayed in, giving Slowbro a definitive way to take care of them quickly. It also means that Slowbro isn't walled to the extent that it is when it carries Ice Beam.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 Atk / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Rash nature (+SpA, -SpD)
~ Earthquake
~ Megahorn
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam

Nidoking adds a crucial immunity to Electric, as well as the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, which cripple both Porygon2 and Slowbro. With its massive movepool, Nidoking is difficult to predict. Megahorn is to hit Umbreon and Spiritomb, who would otherwise wall this much easier.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Iron Head
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch

Registeel provides the team with crucial resistances and Stealth Rock support. Other than that, it is my main Mismagius counter, using STAB Iron Head to cause respectable damage. Earthquake and Ice Punch for general coverage.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Fake Out
~ Mach Punch
~ Close Combat
~ Pursuit

Hitmontop has been fairly effective for this team acting as a revenge killer. Fake Out + Mach Punch is pretty much guaranteed some nice damage. Close Combat provides a nice STAB against anything that is slower, while Pursuit means Hitmontop isn't just set up fodder for something like Mismagius.

Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Bump.

I'd appreciate a rate, such as a second opinion on Uxie, or any glaring weakness to a specific threat.

I think you will have trouble against solid Stall teams. 3 of your Pokemon are destroyed by Toxic Spikes and 4 are Weak against Spikes, and all are simply walled. I suggest a mixed Sweeper over Uxie cause it is not really helping you Team because you have no dangerous Sweeper who can set up behind the Screens and then sweep your opponent.

I think you will have trouble against solid Stall teams. 3 of your Pokemon are destroyed by Toxic Spikes and 4 are Weak against Spikes, and all are simply walled. I suggest a mixed Sweeper over Uxie cause it is not really helping you Team because you have no dangerous Sweeper who can set up behind the Screens and then sweep your opponent.
How about a mixed Nidoking? Removes Toxic Spikes and gives me an Electric immunity. Not sure if it's strong enough a mixed attacker to consider using, though.

How about a mixed Nidoking? Removes Toxic Spikes and gives me an Electric immunity. Not sure if it's strong enough a mixed attacker to consider using, though.
I think King sounds like a good idea, for the reasons you said and more. Ground reduces SR damage, Poison sucks up T-Spikes, and both being STAB offer nice coverage. Check out the Mixed Attacker (UU) Set in the Analysis:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/nidoking

As stated above, I would drop Uxie for King.

On a side note, I love the idea of running Charge Beam over T-Bolt (I've done this with Blissey in OU), so long as you aren't missing out on any critical 2HKO's. I mean, you ARE running Download as well, so that boost alone may be all you need.

I think King sounds like a good idea, for the reasons you said and more. Ground reduces SR damage, Poison sucks up T-Spikes, and both being STAB offer nice coverage. Check out the Mixed Attacker (UU) Set in the Analysis:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/nidoking

As stated above, I would drop Uxie for King.
Thanks for the advice.

Nidoking seems to have a sense of unpredictability that I would like to exploit. The mixed attacking set seems to have a lot of options, so I took Shadow Ball over Hidden Power Grass, at least temporarily, to hit stuff like Mismagius on the switch. The only thing that bothers me with Shadow Ball is that a lot of what it hits for super effective damage has good Special Defense. As such, I've been thinking of using something like Shadow Claw with some more Attack EVs, if not only to further abuse Nidoking's mixed attacking prowess. Shadow Claw isn't listed as another option, but it really seems like a good move in theory, plus it has the added critical hit ratio. Personally, I'd be interested in seeing some damage calculations with different EV spreads between Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball.

Also, I'm really considering Rivalry, just to get that possible 25% increase in damage. Seeing as how male is the default gender, at least in Shoddy, it seems like quite a viable option, even though the damage it causes to females is probably less than what is desirable. Poison Point just seems like such a waste, albeit a safer option.

I would definitely welcome opinions on Nidoking.

If you are tanking with P2 then make him a tank. Change his nature to Bold and drop Charge Beam for Toxic or Twave.

Also, switch Hitmontop and Crobat's postions. Hitmontop can take most of the common leads on better, for example, Ambipom: It can take a fake out better and then can mach punch the next turn.

If you are tanking with P2 then make him a tank. Change his nature to Bold and drop Charge Beam for Toxic or Twave.

Also, switch Hitmontop and Crobat's postions. Hitmontop can take most of the common leads on better, for example, Ambipom: It can take a fake out better and then can mach punch the next turn.
This is just wrong. Crobat's innner focus prevents the flinch and allows him to get a free nasty plot, plus Hitmontop is devastated by other Crobat leads seeing as he's the most common lead there is.

This is just wrong. Crobat's innner focus prevents the flinch and allows him to get a free nasty plot, plus Hitmontop is devastated by other Crobat leads seeing as he's the most common lead there is.
Did forget about inner focus, but I miss the fact that Crobat is the most ommon UU lead. I play UU atleast 5x a day and have seen 2 crobat in the past week.

EDIT: But I do infact take back switching the two because of inner focus.

I must add however if you do change Porygon, which In my opinion you should, make it have trace.

Also, you should take out tri attack and put in tbolt.

and the Evs should be 40 SpA and 216 Def

I must add however if you do change Porygon, which In my opinion you should, make it have trace.

Also, you should take out tri attack and put in tbolt.

and the Evs should be 40 SpA and 216 Def
Whose ability would it be Tracing that would make it a better ability than Download? From what I've experienced, Download helps Porygon2 obtain the strength it needs to cause damage.

As for Thunderbolt over Tri Attack, I have to disagree. Charge Beam may be weaker, but that chance to boost Porygon2's Special Attack even further when I want to use an Electric move just seems like a better idea. Plus, Tri Attack gives it the power it needs in the form of a STAB attack. Porygon2, even with the current EVs/nature and after a boost from Download/Charge Beam, can't cause much damage. Tri Attack is almost necessary for that reason, from my experience.

If survivability becomes a problem, I'll consider the changes; however, Porygon2 can definitely afford to be more offensive in the UU metagame. That's what I'm aiming for with it, after all--a more durable (UU) Porygon-Z.

Whose ability would it be Tracing that would make it a better ability than Download? From what I've experienced, Download helps Porygon2 obtain the strength it needs to cause damage.

As for Thunderbolt over Tri Attack, I have to disagree. Charge Beam may be weaker, but that chance to boost Porygon2's Special Attack even further when I want to use an Electric move just seems like a better idea. Plus, Tri Attack gives it the power it needs in the form of a STAB attack. Porygon2, even with the current EVs/nature and after a boost from Download/Charge Beam, can't cause much damage. Tri Attack is almost necessary for that reason, from my experience.

If survivability becomes a problem, I'll consider the changes; however, Porygon2 can definitely afford to be more offensive in the UU metagame. That's what I'm aiming for with it, after all--a more durable (UU) Porygon-Z.
Charge Beam isn't worth it because it won't hit any of Pory's counters hard enough to justify using, doesn't have the paralysis chance, and doesn't let pory use the SpA boost because they're going to switch in a Fighting type.

Use T-bolt. Hits a fighting type for good damage with the chance to cripple them with paralysis.

Ice Beam hits fighting types with the same damage and has a chance to freeze, better than paralysis I'd say (especially since Hitmonlee can't be paralyzed anyway). The only fighting-type against which T-bolt > Ice Beam would be Poliwrath I believe, but he's going to be cautious about switcing in anyway precisely because of the possibility of eating T-bolt or wave on the switch. And when the opponent loses their fighting-type (or in some cases they may simply not have one), Porygon has no other weaknesses to exploit, so if it Charge Beams on the switch it may be able to stick around and abuse that +2 SpA. I agree with Bulldozer; Charge Beam on Porygon is a neat idea.

I can see your Nidoking still being walled by Umbreon or physically defensive Spiritomb. Against Spiritomb there is little you can do on account of his frustrating lack of weaknesses, but to beat Umbreon, you could put Megahorn over Shadow Ball. This hits Umbreon hard while still giving you coverage against Psychics (hits them harder than Shadow Ball in fact). The only issue is that you're left vulnerable to Mismagius. Whether you want to try it or not is up to you, Megahorn helps you against more threats than Shadow Ball, but Mismagius is a pretty big threat to consider.

On Registeel, I do not think Curse is going to be too useful. Even after a couple Curses his attacks are still going to be weak, they are both non-STAB and you have almost no Atk investment. I think I would replace it with T-wave or Explosion, which allow you to react to threats more immediately, as opposed to being forced to spend turns Cursing up before you pose a threat to anything not named Magneton, Torterra or Altaria.

Also, you could put Megahorn on Nidoking, and Iron Head on Registeel (making it a more effective SubCM Missy counter) to compensate for Nidoking's loss of coverage against Missy.

I can see your Nidoking still being walled by Umbreon or physically defensive Spiritomb. Against Spiritomb there is little you can do on account of his frustrating lack of weaknesses, but to beat Umbreon, you could put Megahorn over Shadow Ball. This hits Umbreon hard while still giving you coverage against Psychics (hits them harder than Shadow Ball in fact). The only issue is that you're left vulnerable to Mismagius. Whether you want to try it or not is up to you, Megahorn helps you against more threats than Shadow Ball, but Mismagius is a pretty big threat to consider.

On Registeel, I do not think Curse is going to be too useful. Even after a couple Curses his attacks are still going to be weak, they are both non-STAB and you have almost no Atk investment. I think I would replace it with T-wave or Explosion, which allow you to react to threats more immediately, as opposed to being forced to spend turns Cursing up before you pose a threat to anything not named Magneton, Torterra or Altaria.

Also, you could put Megahorn on Nidoking, and Iron Head on Registeel (making it a more effective SubCM Missy counter) to compensate for Nidoking's loss of coverage against Missy.
Come to think of it, Curse is rather situational. I actually have a log from the other day when my Registeel faced off against the opponent's Mismagius.

Code:
Mismagius used Substitute.
Mismagius lost 25% of its health.
Mismagius made a substitute!
Registeel used Curse.
Registeel's speed was lowered.
Registeel's attack was raised.
Registeel's defence was raised.
Registeel's reflect wore off!
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
---
Mismagius used Calm Mind.
Mismagius's special attack was raised.
Mismagius's special defence was raised.
Registeel used Ice Punch.
The substitute took damage for Mismagius!
Mismagius's substitute faded!
---
Mismagius used Calm Mind.
Mismagius's special attack was raised.
Mismagius's special defence was raised.
Mismagius lost 34% of its health.
Mismagius was frozen solid!
---
Mismagius is frozen solid!
Mismagius lost 35% of its health.
---
Mismagius is frozen solid!
A critical hit!
Mismagius lost 32% of its health.
Mismagius fainted.
Ice Punch is really weak, even after the Curse. I agree with you that Iron Head would probably be a better choice, at least for handling Mismagius, which is always an annoyance.

I still would like to consider Shadow Claw on Nidoking, but I still have no idea if that's viable. Considering what you mentioned is hit pretty hard by Megahorn, I think I'll have to go with that. With another physical move like Megahorn, though, I could probably use some more Attack EVs on Nidoking; any suggestions?

Updating the original post with some changes, including a different spread on Registeel. I'm going to implement only Iron Head at the moment--Ice Punch and Earthquake come too much in handy to replace for Thunder Wave, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)