MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshe

the best
Dude the twins are easily one of the best in the central division and will probably win the division barring injury. Just look at the line-up. Look at Kubel. Don't tell me that doesn't look good.

I have to make my annual complaint - how the FUCK do the Marlins keep getting rewarded for their ownership's casual disdain of all their fans! 9-1 with HALF the next lowest team's salary! They jettison players year after year, the owner obviously does not care to succeed...and they start the year 9-1!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!! I am happy to see it for the fanbase, but I hate that the owner/whoever else is responsible for the self-sabotage gets away with this!
Actually, they're 11-1 now!

I am surprised by how GREAT of a start, but I'm not surprised that they are really good! First off, they did sign one player long term last year: Hanley Ramirez. He has been the best offensive shortstop the last two years, and his defense has significantly approved those last two years. He gets no love from the media, outperforms the NL MVP of 2007 (Jimmy Rollins) by a LONGSHOT and gets no credit for his success? Craziness if I have ever seen it!

Also, their starting rotation is healthy, which means trouble for the whole league!

#1 starter, Ricky Nolasco, in my opinion, was one of the top 15 pitchers last year (click his name for a list of his stats)

#2 starter, Josh Johnson, is one of the best young pitchers in the league. In his debut season in 2006, he had an EXCELLENT season that went very unnoticed. He suffered from Tommy John surgery in 07' and came back half-way into the 08' season, which, as expected, didn't do to well. He is fully healthy and has had a good start to the season.

#3 starter, Chris Volstad, was a rookie last year that made 14 starts, and his numbers are quite nice. If projected out throughout a whole season, he mathematically would of been a top 10-15 pitcher.

#4 starter, Anibal Sanchez, was a rookie in 06' (who came along with Hanley Ramirez in the Josh Beckett/Mike Lowell deal), and he had amazing stats in the 17 games he started!! He also had a no-hitter that season However, he had surgery on his shoulder to repair a torn labrum in 07', and he hasn't been fully healthy until now.

When healthy, all 4 of their starting pitchers have proven to be #1-#2 quality starters in a normal rotation. These 4 players, with Hanley, makes them an excellent team and possibly a trip to the World Series in October.

I'm happy to see the Jays playing well hopefully it lasts.

They should make Scott Downs the closer though because BJ Ryan is killing us.

I'm sorry moot but your Angels are hurting =(
Don't fucking remind me I've been sick to my stomach the last few games. The fact that we barely scraped out a win over Detroit the other night is really making me nervous.

Ever cautiously, go Angels.

edit third in the West with one game over Oakland? What the fuck guys?!?

Don't fucking remind me I've been sick to my stomach the last few games. The fact that we barely scraped out a win over Detroit the other night is really making me nervous.

Ever cautiously, go Angels.

edit third in the West with one game over Oakland? What the fuck guys?!?
Hey we're on top of the of Al Central, that's not too bad I would think!

Blue Jays completely destroyed the White Sox, and the Marlins lose.

You know what that means? Yup, the best record in the majors is heading north of the border.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Red Sox seem to be be pulling out of their slump.

How do ya like that steal, Petite? Damn straight up! Ellisbury for President.

Blue Jays--guaranteed to be the best team in Canada!

I'm worried about my Jays, though. Purcey is playing like balls and the pitching is thin after Halladay (especially with Romero gone).

It's always one or the other (pitching or offense) with this damn team. I miss Marcum and McGowan... but perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel (Casey + Romero back + Cecil called up + Litsch coming back and continuing to defy all expectation).

To quote the Jays' team catch phrase:

YOU'VE GOT TO BELIEVE (but imagine it said with a voice of desperation)

Red Sox tied for first place now after beasting and going on an 11 game winning streak O_o.

Also Cardinals are the best team in Baseball atm. An Albert Pujols statue is said to be built in St. Louis this whole year.

*bump*

The Jays are in first place by a game and a half, best record in the AL. Are they for real? They had Rios and Wells go deep today, so those two seem like they're finally getting back on track. If our pitching reinforcements coincide with Wells and Rios coming out of their slumps, and hopefully Snider too, we can seriously do some damage. Scott Richmond looks so good that it doesn't look like we'll be missing the Halladay-Burnett one-two punch anytime soon. By the time Romero, Litsch, Janssen and McGowan, all hopefully back later this month, arrive, I doubt that the Rays and O's will actually be considered competition. The Yankees will buy their way into the playoffs if anything, but Boston is a huge threat. Their pitching seems solid, but their offense is definitely struggling. They'll probably take the division, but we'll be ahead of the Yankees for second because they have no pitching whatsoever. The bullpen is a disaster and the starting pitching will not hold. Sabathia may come back, but by then Pettitte's age will have shown again and Burnett will be injured. Even with A-Rod, the offense won't hold either. I truly believe that with the reinforcements that the Jays are getting, they can snag second and hopefully the Wild Card. Opinions?

Yankees will likely get Wild Card. Burnett will get injured? Where did that come from? Is that a wish or are you actually being realistic? Burnett is their star pitcher at the moment, Sabathia is garbage however. Burnett is pitching well as is Joba Chamberlain. Wang,Sabathia, and Pettite though are a bit iffy. If the Blue Jays can keep it up then I honestly see them getting the division if anything then the Red Sox would take the Wild Card.

In other news, Zack Greinke is a fucking monster.

that's most likely coming because he is an injury bug and a sissy (missed 2-3 weeks a year or two back because he broke a nail)

Where the hell did greinke come from? I've never heard of him and he's like a top 3 pitcher now

Yankees will likely get Wild Card. Burnett will get injured? Where did that come from? Is that a wish or are you actually being realistic? Burnett is their star pitcher at the moment, Sabathia is garbage however. Burnett is pitching well as is Joba Chamberlain. Wang,Sabathia, and Pettite though are a bit iffy. If the Blue Jays can keep it up then I honestly see them getting the division if anything then the Red Sox would take the Wild Card.

In other news, Zack Greinke is a fucking monster.
Burnett has been injured for periods of one month or longer 10 times in 11 seasons. Unfortunately, he kept that trend with the Blue Jays and his only healthy season came last year. That is being perfectly realistic because he is among the most injury prone pitchers in the game. He won't be the next Pavano, but he'll definitely be close.

Greinke was a top prospect who suffered from clinical depression due to personal reasons when he was making the transition from the minors to the bigs. Apparently he was still in recovery his first two seasons and projected to be a solid No. 2 or an amazing middle of the rotation starter, but he kept the stuff that made him a top prospect to begin with and now he's a legit Cy Young candidate.

Not clinical depression. Well maybe that but it was mostly a social anxiety disorder.

Top 3 for Cy Young award? No, he IS the Cy Young award winner at this point in time.

6-0, 54 strikeouts, 0.40 ERA. At this point in time he's averaging 9 strikeouts a game and 7.5 innings pitched per game. He's already pitched 3 Complete Games. If that's not Cy Young status for you then I don't know what is.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Manny Ramirez just got suspended for 50 games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs according to espn.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
as a diehard blue jays and baseball fan I have absolutely no idea how the fuck the jays are pulling this off.

in cito we trust

It actually is not a "performance enhancing drug" but rather just a banned substance.

The substance he took just helped for testesterone levels and commonly would help for erectile dysfunction. Steroids rather deplete the levels of testosterone.

EDIT: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ANGELS JUST BECAME THE FIRST TEAM TO BEAT THE BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALLLLLL. YESSSSSSSSS.

Okay well all hyped up ness aside. Angels beat the Royals and Zack Greinke tonight 1-0. I know not a big score or anything but just to beat the guy is incredible. This meant an incredible pitching outing by the Angels- which would be true. This was definitely a grueling battle between two outstanding pitchers Greinke vs Saunders.

Saunders pitched a complete game and gave up 5 hits and walked one batter to win another game and go 5-1. I'm really impressed with us now. 15-14 and now tied for first in the division!

:DDDDDDDD

Shutout for CC Sabathia, that's what we paid him for. And look at that, A Rod comes back and we win :). In other news, K Rod gets 4 saves this week

doc hallady spanks AJ burnett and jays take over top spot in the entire league again. amazing.

and I doubt Hill will keep this up. Hill is very streaky, as hes shown in the last couple years. in 2007 he was batting under .200 at the end of may and batted something like .350 in June and .400 in July. He could easily go sub .200 for a month but i Dont think he will.

I predict he ends year with .322 average 27 Hr and 96 RBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)