new 2009 albums

Wavves: Wavvves
Someone get this man some proper recording equipment okay?
Holy mother, I thought there was something wrong with the audio file when I first heard this. The vocals were static-y and from what I remember the instruments sounded like they were recorded from a distance. There is a difference between 'unique, daring, and fresh' and whatever that was.

There is hope in 2009!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It's Blitz!

Kinda has more electronic sound than earlier albums, coulda used a real killer song like Black Tongue or Gold Lion to bring it home. I felt none of the songs lived up to that kinda sound (Zero is good, but I always imagine it in a Broadway show for some reason...). Heads Will Roll is a solid song, and Dull Life is good but I felt there was a lot of building up just for it to... End. The album does shine with some of the slower tracks such as Soft Shock, Skeleton, and Hysteric (at least the acoustic version more so). Soft Shock and Skeletons are beautiful songs, so are the acoustic versions. Don't get me started on Little Shadow though... What the fuck is up with that song (read: it sucks). At least the acoustic is a bit more bearable, but that isn't saying much. Dragon Queen and Shame and Fortune are pretty good tracks to, nothing special though. Dragon Queen has been appealing to me more and more.

Here's a rundown of each track, with a score out of 5:
Zero 4/5
Heads Will Roll 5/5
Soft Shock 5/5
Skeletons 4/5
Dull Life 4/5
Shame and Fortune 3/5
Runaway (I don't even remember this song lol)
Dragon Queen 4/5
Hysteric 3/5
Little Shadow 0/5
Soft Shock (AC) 5/5
Skeletons (AC) 5/5
Hysteric (AC) 4/5
Little Shadow (AC) 1/5

In conclusion: The album lacked some bite, but delivered a nice hug (and a kick in the shins). It's pretty solid all around and a great album but just a bit shy of perfection... 4.5/5

(Sorry this turned into a full review. :heart:)

I'll edit this post with Metric's Fantasies asap. I love them WHY DON'T I OWN THIS ALBUM FHGFDHGF

New maudlin of the Well is awesome. Oh, and it's free download.
Listened to it today, it's good but it just seems more like a combination of Kayo Dot and The Pax Cecilia than the first three motW albums. Still, the content is excellent, one of the best free albums I've heard this year.

New maudlin of the Well
just finished listening to it. at first i was like "yeah this is pretty good, but not great" and then the last track blew me away, very nice.

may has been a great month so far imo, so far i've got new albums from

above band
Tortoise
Maybeshewill
dredg
Sunn O))) (they cop a lot of shit but their new one is pretty decent really)

and thoroughly enjoyed them all. the new Tortoise is fantastic. also The Dear Hunter's new album is confirmed to come out next month, which i am very excited about ^_^

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm just waiting for Black Clouds and Silver Linings by Dream Theater to come out and then I'll be happy :) I'll be even happier when I see them live.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been listening to NoFX's new album Coaster non stop for the past week. It's got some brilliant songs on, especially My Orphan Year.

The new Dance Gavin Dance managed to tear me away from my two week long nonstop addiction to A Wilhelm Scream, but got me hooked on it...another problem : /

Still, this album reminds of Between the Buried and Me's Colors for what it did for the band. It doesn't push the boundaries of poppy post-hardcore so much as it's just a unique take on it. This album is definitely the poppiest album they've done, but in a very very good way. And it's a very feel-good album whereas their S/T had some depressing songs (I'm looking at you, "People You Know".) In that regard it's more like their first album. And I also like how this album doesn't have the seemingly forced screaming thrown in from having a guy in the band who can't do anything except scream. The screaming on this album is less expected and as a result hits harder when it is used.

I think it's my favorite from them : )

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i like the new albums from the following:

grizzly bear
dinosaur jr
wilco
phoenix (catchy catchy stuff)

and i am waiting for the proper moment to listen to the new sonic youth :)

I'm just waiting for Black Clouds and Silver Linings by Dream Theater to come out and then I'll be happy :)
Make that two people lol. I've been re-listening to a lot of their old stuff. I'm finishing up "Awake".

I also have enjoyed Lamb of God's new album as well.

I'll have to post back when I listen to Muse's new album set to come out in September.

I'll probably expand this abit but I am glad I can listen to Enter Shikaris second album and Incubus' compilation ^.^

I too am excited for Incubus' greatest hits album. Although it's mostly just old stuff there are a few new songs (and new covers, etc) - it'd just be good to get tons of their good music in one album.

When you buy the album you also get a code that lets you log in to "the vault" on their website where you can download unreleased tracks and stuff. Now that's what I'm excited for.

Listening to the new Grizzly Bear album now.

It's incredibly pop-ish...but that doesn't detract from the quality, I do like it.

Will be sure to give this another couple of listens.

Just gotta say, the new Incubus compilation is amazing. For one thing, it's cool having a lot of the best songs on one cd, and getting all those previously unreleased tracks on the b disc is also awesome. The best thing, however, is getting access to "the vault" on their website. I was skeptical and thought that you'd have to pay to download everything available but it's all free and they have some really cool live recordings and videos. Not much is available for download right now but they're going to release more and more over a period of like two months or something.

And all for $10.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i never noticed before but the MPP cover is totally an optical illusion which is awesome

scroll up and down on kelloggs' post over MPP and be amazed as the green things move or just gaze endlessly into it.......................

i thought veckatimest > mpp. i didn't really enjoy sunset rubdown but it was decent enough

pretty much jerking off to the same things as 'extra'

Well... not that anyone cares ( ima not much into prog rock it seems ) but ima listin what ima looking forward to this year:

Against Me! - The Original Cowboy
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
Deftones - Eros
Does it Offend You, Yeah ? - TBA
Minus the Bear - TBA ( if its even comin out this year )

well, I know, not kinda creative but I have a fukin hard time finding new artists ( RYM is my best source but still ), so I am like "meh, why dont I listen to more"

VNV Nation just released their latest album on last Friday. I haven't had a chance to acquire it yet, but I did hear them live on Saturday, so I heard them play four songs off of it. Which means I've basically heard the important part of the album. Pretty consistently, VNV Nation releases albums that contain 4-6 "full" songs, with everything else being intros, outros, instrumental, spoken word, or otherwise not really a complete song. However, there's a pretty consistent 1:1 ratio of these full songs to amazing songs, so every time they announce an album I mentally pencil in space on my mental "top songs of all time" list for at least four more of theirs. So yeah. VNV Nation: Of Faith and Power and Glory. Would recommend to anyone even remotely interested in electronic music, as VNV is pretty much the best Futurepop has to offer. Highlight songs are Precipice, Sentinel, Tomorrow Never Comes, and The Great Divide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)