Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, congratulations zerowing! I'm finally pleased to see GoodStuffs as the winner's team instead of Trick Room. I'm surprised at the runner-up's team, mainly because the two leads look like Obi-mode. All Smeargle did was Helping Hand (no Fake Out or Dark Void), and I think Helping Hand Arcanine would have been better. Last Resort Porygon-Z is stupid, mainly because Porygon-Z should take advantages of the largest Sp. Atk out of ubers (ties with Alakazam at base 135). The only two moves on Porygon-Z were Protect and Last Resort. Ambipom would have done a better job (unless Adaptability makes Porygon-Z's Last Resort stronger). Next week will be a treat, with both London (finally a tournament taking place in a time zone before Eastern) and Dallas (looks like it's the most uncrowded site).

Eeek. London's drawing up fast.
But I'm pretty proud of my team so far and think I can do well. Not sure about top two but I should definitely make the top 16. Qwilfish just... seems a little sparse. I need some hardcore sweepers, not situational stuff that dies easily. I simply despise facing goodstuffs because they take my team completely out of its depth. Trick room is cannon fodder however.

Eeek. London's drawing up fast.
But I'm pretty proud of my team so far and think I can do well. Not sure about top two but I should definitely make the top 16. Qwilfish just... seems a little sparse. I need some hardcore sweepers, not situational stuff that dies easily. I simply despise facing goodstuffs because they take my team completely out of its depth. Trick room is cannon fodder however.
Are you using a Rain team? If so, then maybe consider Kabutops, who has more Attack, Rock STAB, and Aqua Jet (although Qwilfish gets Explosion). Crobat can make a decent Rain lead due to its fast Taunt and Rain Dance. Neutrality to Bullet Punch gives it an edge over Aerodactyl for the role.

I had a Taunt Gengar as my anti-Trick Room/Dark Void/etc Pokemon.
It's immune to Fake Out, as well as Explosion and Earthquake.

I'm not sure if Gengar can learn Rain Dance though.

Basically anything with Taunt. Azelf, Electrode, Aerodactyl, and Crobat.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
zerowing demands to know who capitalized his name. Also he's going to infract everyone in the thread who capitalized it.

Warstories will be coming soon, but naptime first.

Hey all you smogoners. Just got back from the Phoenix event and I wanted to post here and introduce myself. Those of you in the finals today would remember me as the big guy wearing a black polo shirt and glasses. I came in 4th and lost in the semifinals to none other then zerowing! I wanted to post here to personally tell you zerowing that if I had to lose, it was an honor to lose to someone like you. Congratulations on the championship and I'll definitely see you in St. Louis!

If anyone's interested my team was a mix of Trick/AntiTrick/Hail:

Dusknoir @ Lum Berry
Impish
Trick Room
Imprison
Protect
Shadow Sneak

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave
Fake Out
Close Combat
Rock Slide
Payback

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Quiet
Blizzard
Grass Knot
Ice Shard
Protect

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Impish
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Explosion
Protect

All in all my impression of Phoenix was that only about 50% of the people there or less had really competitive teams. In the first three matches only one team was any good and he made a huge mistake with Ninjask which probably cost him the match. Most of the matchups I had were against stall or sandstorm teams which Abomasnow absolutely ripped to shreds. And the lack of taunt/fake out leads and opposing trick rooms made my own trick room team do pretty well. But of course my team wasn't a good match up against a well designed goodstuff's team, that combined with zerowing's superior strategy and prediction easily gave him the win. So I tip my hat to you good sir. I'll have a much better team come June 28th. Hope to see some of you guys there!

so taunt. what should i look for when i see there leads to hint at a trick room? also if you use trick room after someone else does it restore it to normal order?

Hey all you smogoners. Just got back from the Phoenix event and I wanted to post here and introduce myself. Those of you in the finals today would remember me as the big guy wearing a black polo shirt and glasses.
I remember seeing watching someone with Hariyama and Dusknoir on one of the screens during the finals, hehe.

Well, I was fucking pissed...didn't get selected go figure...sigh...no offense, but I'm really hating the fact even though I had to be among the first 50 there and registered, and then waiting 2 hours just to find out I didn't get picked sucks ass...not to mention the fucking out of state people clogging up entry...

I digress though, those are my feelings about it. It is nice to see a smogoner win it all if anything!.

Haha my cousin got to round 3 with no VGC experience by just using team but lost to a trick room team because he had no clue what trick room did -_-. He did beat a goodstuff and a rain dance team though so I'm proud of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)