NBA discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, but you could say that any guard that penetrates benfits from the officiating, so that argument doesn't really hold any ground, although I'd give you that Kobe's a better shooter and a better scorer than LeBron. If you ask me, the difference is that Kobe's team wins when other players well, and LeBron's team wins when LeBron plays well. Don't believe me? Check out tonight's box score and check out the Lakers' record with Pau Gasol/Shaq.
Kobe actually gets less respect from the officials than LeBron, or even Dwayne Wade. While all the superstars had higher FTA per game averages in the playoffs, Lebron has about twice as many, and Wade has about 50% more. Kobe has about 2 or so more.

When's the last time you've seen Kobe shoot 20 free throws? Not this playoffs!

The big difference in the two teams is that Cleveland has a quality defense, which means they really only need LeBron to score, while the Lakers have a middle of the pack defense, which requires the whole team to be involved to win.

I will grant that LeBron has the work ethic to develop his game, but you have to understand that the whole "let's call touch fouls for superstars" mentality is making somewhat one-dimensional players (throw guys like 2005 Wade, or even lesser guys like Corey Maggette) better than they should be.

Kobe actually gets less respect from the officials than LeBron, or even Dwayne Wade. While all the superstars had higher FTA per game averages in the playoffs, Lebron has about twice as many, and Wade has about 50% more. Kobe has about 2 or so more.

When's the last time you've seen Kobe shoot 20 free throws? Not this playoffs!
That has nothing to do with the officials' respect for them. Kobe has an all around better team that helps him, meaning he has the ball less and gets opportunities to get fouled. Lebron carries the entire team on his back (offensively at least) with the occasional Mo Williams showing up here and there, making for alot of shots and alot of foul drawing opportunities. Dwyane Wade on the other hand, is completely alone in Miami, with absolutely no other standout player, which gives him many more chances to shoot, get fouled and go to the line.

Whoever wins tonight wins the series.

Obviously, if the Magic win tonight, they win the series. (Obviously).

But if the Cavs win tonight, they are going to win at home, I guarentee that to all of you.

i don’t think that kobe gets less respect from the refs its just that he has become more of a jump shooter in recent years compared to james and wade who drive to the basket a lot more than kobe does.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
yeah homsar is right. AR you assume that lower FT rate correlates to less "respect" from refs but in reality its just that kobe takes it to the basket less. How many times have you seen him pull up and hit that little backward leaning 15 footer? This is not a knock on Kobe, its smart because he's older and needs to conserve his body more instead of taking hits in the paint like dwade does. lebron is built like a tank so he just doesn't give a shit.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not really relevant to my larger point - that the rules are so unbalanced in favor of being "built like a tank and driving it to the hole" because officiating is so ridiculously slanted in favor of the offensive player. Watch some of Dwight's fouls on LeBron. Dwight is rising straight up, his hands are rising straight up, and yet the foul is still called! It is LeBron initatiing the contact, not Dwight!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090528&sportCat=nba

Long ass Bill Simmons article about reffing and such, he kinda rambles and gives decent insight about the whole thing.

Kobe is very all around, and can score in a variety of ways. He may shoot more threes one game or drive it another, therefore a fluctuation of freethrows occurs. Although I thin anyone who watched games 3-6 of the Dallas series knows that DWade's ref treatment was absolutely ridiculous.

Cavs tonight, LBJ for 50 plus triple double? lol who knows..

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just putting it out there that I have gotten every matchup right for every round of the playoffs thus far.

Continuing my run of genius

Lakers in 6
Magic in 7
Just bumping up this quote from a few pages back (37 I believe).

If the Magic win I've picked every series this playoffs correctly so far (with alot of them involving me getting the actual number of games right too :D).

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just bumping up this quote from a few pages back (37 I believe).

If the Magic win I've picked every series this playoffs correctly so far (with alot of them involving me getting the actual number of games right too :D).
Legit predictions. If there was a game 7, I'm pretty sure Cavaliers would win. It ends in Game 6 because Magics are going to take this. Lebron will only win if he gets a triple double and 50 points, book it.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I probably shoulda picked Magic in 6 in hindsight cause I forgot that Game 7 would be in Cleveland lol. Ahh well can't wait to see what happens :).

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The clock will strike soon and as predicted.. Orlando destroys Cavs in Game 6.

franky

The darkhorse of the playoffs WILL prevail. Orlando has been the most consistent in the entire playoffs. Silently sneaking their way to the finals while the Lakers had a rather tough time. Then again, ECF is pretty weak. Orlando in 6.

Prior to their win over Denver, I would have taken the Magic over the Lakers but their lack of enthusiasm over the WC title has really made me think the Lakers are finally focused all post-season. I mean, Odom tossed this WC Champion shirt and hat aside like garbage, Fisher said he's still angry over the loss last June and Kobe shrugged 'been here, done this.'

It's going to be a blood bath. Or, at least I hope it is. Lakers in 6.

Originally Posted by y2zipper
Yeah, but you could say that any guard that penetrates benfits from the officiating, so that argument doesn't really hold any ground, although I'd give you that Kobe's a better shooter and a better scorer than LeBron. If you ask me, the difference is that Kobe's team wins when other players well, and LeBron's team wins when LeBron plays well. Don't believe me? Check out tonight's box score and check out the Lakers' record with Pau Gasol/Shaq.
lol. LeBron is a stat-stuffer... he will continue to drop 40 / 8 / 8 and still lose... Why? LeBron isn't as tactful in his offensive game. Kobe legitemately tries to involve his teammates in the early stages of the game to open himself up... there is a method to his madness. The Lakers win a ridiculous amount of games when Kobe takes less than 20 shots I think it was....

Bottom line is.. LeBron is not there yet. And watching today disguisted me. The officials were like "its the start of the second half and LeBron has ONLY attempted 6 free throws... whats going on?" Basically.. he bumrushes the lane every chance he gets. I'm not saying thats bad.. I'm just saying lets be real when you hype LeBron up to be a more complete player than Kobe Bryant... and how about defense? Nah.. I won't even get into that.

Originally Posted by Ancient Regime
It's not really relevant to my larger point - that the rules are so unbalanced in favor of being "built like a tank and driving it to the hole" because officiating is so ridiculously slanted in favor of the offensive player. Watch some of Dwight's fouls on LeBron. Dwight is rising straight up, his hands are rising straight up, and yet the foul is still called! It is LeBron initatiing the contact, not Dwight
You are absolutely cold-blooded 1000% correct... this is why basketball is hard to watch these days... So many fouls are assumed to the point where its repulsive to watch.

Anyway... Lakers take this in 6... just too many weapons for the magic.. and they aren't coming back from 23 down every game because the Lakers can put points on the board with more than one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)