Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone was English, and the highest wristband number announced was 130. So it could be 130.

EDIT: Another picture:

Also is anyone interested in making a London VGC Picture Album. Everyone can contribute to it by putting in there photos.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As far as I know, there were 12 entrants, which would have made it suck even more for those 4 who didn't get in.

There was also that guy in the pink shirt with the shiny Metagross and Gengar, people said he was hacking too apparently.

The "guy in the pink" was Biggenz, he definitely wasn't hacking, that was that hyper Pokerob kid spreading a rumour after he got beat. Biggenz ended up getting to the semi-finals but got knocked out there.

I met froggy25 (who is french) and his Belgian mates, they were the only non-English competitors I saw during the day. Froggy was one of the really unlucky guys to not get in (only 3 or 4 people didn't get selected), and he says he won't be able to compete in Paris as he'll be refereeing there.

As for Havak going out on a missing Hydro Pump, it's real bad luck, but over the course of potentially seven battles, you can expect Hydro Pump to miss once or twice. It's a real shame though, I had Havak down to go far. I only briefly managed to meet Havak, Kinneas and GEC but you seemed like really nice people.

Leroy_Yoshi/Osirus182 got selected but got knocked out in the first round due to the double misfortune of a critical hit in his opponents favour, and forgetting to attach a Sitrus Berry to his BellyLax.

Also of note was Akira Squirtle Squad using a team almost a carbon copy of zerowing's, but he got knocked out by Biggenz. It was bad luck for Akira to draw him, as I helped Biggenz prepare against teams similar to zerowing's, so he didn't really stand much of a chance.

It was a really nice day, and it was cool to meet everyone! Expecting some good warstories please!

PS. Negator's Latios doesn't show up as hacked.
Didn't manage to find you dragon9, or Zog unfortunately, would like to know how he did.
Also looking forward to news on how Tyler does, trained with him for quite a while.

I remember there was a guy in the semi finals where the last pokemon were metagross and swampert. Metagross outspeeds anyways, but uses bullet punch. Takes off about 10% from swampert, and left swampert with like 2hp, which cold the metagross guy the match.
That was me.

I wasn't sure what base Speed Swampert had, all I could remember was that it's very close to Meta's and I didn't want to risk EQ when he could be running enough EVs to outrun Metagross.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!

Team's finally IV bred, EV trained, Leveled Up, Move Tutored, TM'd and WAITING FOR NASHVILLE/ST. LOUIS!!!

I just rented PBR (I always rent before I buy...after that... horrible incident...with AMF Bowling...*shudder*) and got my team on there to try it out against real people and not just Battle tower and I pwnd some noob with a Palkia, Kyogre, Latios, and Ho-Oh. I guess I didn't "win" per-se, but when I had him totally cornered (down to 1 poke and his move didn't affect my last poke) he disconected or something.

Man. I know he was a noob, but I can't help but feel more confident about Nashville/St. Louis. I was really worried that this team wouldn't work against tough smart trained pokes, but it beat those behemoths and so far it's been grrrrrrrrrrreat! ^.6

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
No offense, but you shouldn't feel more confident about your team because you beat a noob with Palkia, Kyogre, Latios, and Ho-Oh. You should see how your team stacks up against the good Japanese players. They usually come on really late at night EST, and early in the moring EST. They should help you get a feel for your team more, since a majority of the american players you will face won't be very good(don't get me wrong, there are also a lot of japanese players who aren't too good either).

@ Giant Enemy Crab: I was that guy in the pink shirt, and I only had shiny Metagross, which was definitely not hacked, infact it is just the one off of Pokeguy's Trade Thread. (:

I made it to the semi-finals but got knocked out by whoever it was using that TR team, pretty annoying TBH, but ah well(:
Was a good day overall, and pretty much everyone who registered got in.

Well, I was at the London one today. Unfortunately, I had to rush my team (only just managed to complete it in time for the registration), so I didn't get any practise with it. As such, I lost in the second round, to a Bronzong. I hate those things :( At least I beat one person (it ended up with my Marowak and Dusknoir against his Zapdos and Electivire) :)

I also talked to Kinneas, and saw Havak and GEC but didn't talk to them (sorry). I also battled a YouTube battler (can't remember his name), who recorded our match. While waiting for the juniors to start, I gave some noob free legendaries :D Sadly, his actual team's levels were in the 20s and 30s, so he went out in the first round.

My little brother entered the juniors with a Rain Dance team. Since he performed better than me, I'll list it here:

Timid Manectric @ Damp Rock - LightningRod
31/x/31/31/31/31 - 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
-Rain Dance
-Light Screen
-Protect
-Thunder
Adamant Gyarados @ Lum Berry
31/31/31/x/31/31 - 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
Everstone's Modest Kingdra @ Life Orb - Swift Swim
31/x/31/30/31/31 - 84 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 172 Speed
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Toxic
-Protect
Kursed's Adamant Azumarill @ Choice Band - Huge Power
31/31/30/x/31/27 - 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Double-Edge
-Superpower

Anyway, it turns out only 13 juniors actually turned up :P I think one of them might have been disqualified (they checked everyone at the beginning, since there was so few people). My brother therefore didn't have to battle in the first round.
I can't remember the details, but I do remember a few things about the battles. The first person he battled used a Spiritomb and Garchomp. Manectric started with a Rain Dance, while Gyarados Dragon Danced. Garchomp Dragon Clawed Manectric (doing little damage due to Intimidate), and Spiritomb put Gyarados to sleep with Hypnosis (which then promptly woke up with Lum Berry). Next, Gyarados Taunted Spiritomb, and Manectric Thundered it (or Light Screened; I can't remember). Garchomp dug underground (yay Digchomp), and Spiritomb used Ominous Wind on Gyarados. You can predict what happened next; Manectric Protected and wasted Garchomp's Dig, and Gyarados attacked it with Waterfall. Spiritomb did more minor damage with Dark Pulse. Gyarados then took out Garchomp, and from then on, it was pretty much GG. Spiritomb fell to a couple of Thunders, and both the opponent's remaining Pokémon were OHKOed by Gyarados.
The second match was quite similar to the first. Strangely, his second opponent also used a Digchomp (which met the same fate as the first one). I can't really remember what happened in that one, other than that the opponent's Magnezone was OHKOed by a critical Waterfall. In short, he 4-0ed his first two opponents.
Since there were only 13 people, my brother's next match was actually the final. His opponent came all the way from France or Belgium (not sure); the TV was connected up to the opponent's game, so disappointingly, the whole battle was shown in French. I can actually remember what happened in this one, so I'll post it here.
My brother lead with Gyarados and Manectric again, while his opponent started with Vaporeon and Ninjask. As my brother's team relied on Rain Dance and water moves, Vaporeon was possibly one of the worst opponents he could face.
Turn 1
Manectric set up a Rain Dance.
Ninjask used X-Scissor on Gyarados, not dealing much damage.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Vaporeon used Surf. Because of the rain, he ended up KOing his own Ninjask, as well as bringing down Manectric.
My brother sent out Kingdra, while his opponent chose Sceptile.
Turn 2
Vaporeon Protects.
Kingdra Dragon Pulses Sceptile, doing some massive damage.
Gyarados Stone Edges Vaporeon, which protects itself.
Finally, Sceptile Leaf Storms Gyarados, KOing it.
My brother sends out Azumarill.
Turn 3
Kingdra KOes Sceptile with Dragon Pulse.
Vaporeon Surfs again, not dealing much to Kingdra, but about 1/3 to Azumarill.
Azumarill uses Double-Edge on Vaporeon. Surprisingly, due to Azumarill's Choice Band, it OHKOes it.
The opponent sends out Garchomp. For some reason, when I saw Garchomp's name come up, I thought it was Toxicroak... I guess its French name, Carchacrok, looked like 'croak'... At least Garchomp can't have Dry Skin :P
Turn 4
Kingdra Dragon Pulses Garchomp. Rather irritatingly, it survives with about 1% of its health left.
Garchomp Earthquakes. Due to both Pokémon having a lot of EVs dumped into HP, both Azumarill and Kingdra survive.
Azumarill KOes Garchomp with another Double-Edge, getting the win.

So, my brother won the London juniors. It looks like I might be going to Worlds with him :D

Hah. Just got back.

I lost in the quarter finals to the guy who won it, to a serious case of hax in the opening turn- same guy that beat McSpam (hi McSpam btw- I was Sarracenia off BZP rofl) and eventually my good friend Shoe, who came second. So all is not lost- I'll get him to sign up on Smogon so then we can actually say an English smogger's going to San Diego.=P
I half-designed his team and trained it, also, and the shiny Abomasnow was mine and on loan.

Anyway, I was the dude in the brown coat with green glasses (lol). I certainly remember seeing Wichu several times, but not anyone else for sure. I overheard some guys going on about glomping Pikachu too rofl. Seeing as I lost kind of early I might as well post a mini-warstory actually.

Zog's Mini London Warstory

So, after a few complications, I ended up taking to tube to Old Street and then to the venue, which wasn't as scratty as I'd imagined. Got myself registered, said hello to Shoe, etc. Only about 140 people turned up, so myself, my brother and Shoe easily got in.

Match One
It all starts up, and I'm put against a pretty big black guy who looks older than me. I thought this may be a tough match. I was wrong.=P
To sum the battle up, his Salamence and Blaziken KOed my Gengar at the start of the match with thunder fang (lol) and blaze kick, and then I actually just OHKOed all of his pokés one by one with Kingdra, while being hit with some bizarre attacks from his Latios and Blaziken without sustaining any casualties. Pretty weird. And then I got to round two.

Match Two

This one was pretty odd. A guy wearing loads of Lonsdale clothing. He opened with dark void scarf Smeargle and life orb Gengar. Standard stuff. However I got completely trashed by dark void and got 3-0ed. However, the dude in the labcoat saved my ass- random hackcheck found that the guy had an "illegal Blissey" in his party and he got DQed on the spot. Leading me to get on with round 3.

Match Three
Surprisingly easy. Gothy-looking guy (dressed similarly to Wichu actually; didn't see his face though) opening with Zapdos and Electivire. Seeing as what he was going to do was more obvious than Captain Obvious in the Obviousmobile, I just exploded Gengar which left Zapdos with a shred of health and OHKOed Electivire. Zapdos then died of life orb recoil from the obvious Discharge, which paralysed my Dusknoir and activated my lum berry, only taking away 1/3 of his health. Then I just mopped up Salamence and Cresselia with Kabutops and Kingdra. And then that was me in the quarter finals. At this point my brother lost to a kid named Luigi who was later DQed for hacking, so he basically lost for no reason. Shoe also won overwhelmingly against who I suspect was Havak, the only part of the battle that I saw being Garchomp getting pinned down and killed by DYLSKi and Wylie's priority attacks. Whoever gets where the name DYLSKi comes from wins cool points, by the way.

Quarter Final

Sadman's shadowball crits on my Dusknoir and Metagross gets an attack boost from meteor mash. GG from there basically. Had I even not been critted, I probably would've won, given how much practise vs. goodstuffs I'd done with Biggenz (match with Shoe was brilliant btw), but yeah I got critted so I lost the ability to switch out 1hp Gengar to Kingdra when threatened with bullet punch. Had I been able to do that, I'd probably have had Kabutops and Kingdra out at the same time during rain, kicking out some serious damage. Oh well, there's always next year.

Which guys were smoggers, anyway? I have a feeling it was Havak that Shoe beat in the third round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)