Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me penpad, I could literally count the number of competitive double battles I had in my entire life to be 2 or 3 before this tourney let alone vgc style. I couldnt even test my team once lol becuz of exams but it ended up doing very well in the end, I guess normal battling experience does come in handy nonetheless.

@Akira: You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Japan vs Smogon would be really cool. We will find out who takes it all in the world championships.

But one thing is funny, in the midst of it all, I forgot it get my shiny Milotic, DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone from the semifinals onwards at London was Smogon, by the way.

Shoe's been a lurker for years because his account activation messed up, and I helped a lot with his team and stuff anyway. Obviously the battling was entirely his work however, and he designed the movesets/EV spreads in the most part. =P

So yeah, it'll be a very Smogon summer over at San Diego.

Agreed Unkown. I was surprised how well the team i never playtested did.
I used a Imprison Dusknoir with an TR/Explosion Bronzong. Cressy and Gyara came in late game for clean up.
I just cant stress enough the amount of fun and excitement that tourney was. I'll probably go to these every chance i get now. and I'll definetely start playin in smogons online tourneys

Ala, with me taking third. The annoying guy with the voice, are you talking about adam? I did not like that kid at all. Had an epic battle with him though.

Ya know, I don't remember seeing you. For most of the time I hung out outside the lounge, then got in. I was wearing a striped shirt and really didnt smile. Stood the whole time.

Ah, yea, I didnt talk to many of the finalists there, just a couple, mostly talked with a couple people outside the lounge. Chatted with some guys from OK like me, and I think I introduced myself to Alakapimp, but im not sure. Glad to see so many smogonites around these tourneys, seems like a lot of us got to play in this tourney too.

Yea, that's true, there were the hack checks. It'd just be suprising if the VGC organizers found out that people from a Smogon were toppling everyone. They might put Smogon againts the really hard players other than put us againts eachother. I could see them thinking as of as some sort of conspiracy lol. "Well, these people from www.smogon.com are really good we could use them to finally beat Japan in a pokemon tornument!

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
for any wondering this is my team, a bit lazy with ev spreads but meh, ill have a warstory up when i get pics from tyler

Gengar@Lum
252 sptk, 252 speed, 4 hp
-Shadowball
-Sludge Bomb
-Taunt
-Protect

Garchomp@Yache
252 atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Sandstorm
-Protect

Mamoswine@Life Orb
252 hp, 252 atk, 4 def
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Protect

Zapdos@Leftovers
252 hp, 252 spatk, 4 speed
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Thunder
-Detect

That team looks like it kinda would've failed to a Smeargle+Dusknoir/Smeargle+Bronzong TR combo. Guess you didn't see many of them huh?

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
naw i do fine, taunt is there to force them to follow me and let me get a quake in, then i can double protect and stall out most of the TR

nice team. I actually watched you beat the guy that beat me right before i left. He was your second match of the finals.

I ran:
Dusknoir Relaxed - Lum
252Hp/84Def/172Spdef
Protect
Shadow Sneak
Imprison
Rock Slide

Bronzong Sassy - Leftovers
Levitate
252Hp/252SpDef/6dDef
TR
Explode
Gyro
Light Screen

Gyarados Adamant - Wacan
252HP/88At/88Def/80SpDef
Thunderwave
Protect
Waterfall
Taunt

Cresselia bold - chesto
252Hp/252SpDef/6SpA
Rest
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow ball

I had an arcanine and gengar for back up but they never made play. I also realized i had my lum berry and leftovers on the wrong two pokes after my last game, Lums supposed to be on bron, leftovers on dusknoir. Thats what i get for making my team at 530am and not double checkin.

Man i wish i could get into the irc right now.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
Hello, yes I did :toast: I'm not exactly "on here" regularly. Third round.

I got double quick claw hax, Ace Matador played a great game and won regardless. Not happy to hear I would have faced trick room next lol, that's what I built my team to beat.

Great tournament, great players.
Haha, yeah i remember! That Snorlax was excellent. Very close also, Metagross saved my butt twice that tourney.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yea, that's true, there were the hack checks. It'd just be suprising if the VGC organizers found out that people from a Smogon were toppling everyone. They might put Smogon againts the really hard players other than put us againts eachother. I could see them thinking as of as some sort of conspiracy lol. "Well, these people from www.smogon.com are really good we could use them to finally beat Japan in a pokemon tornument!
During JAA all the smogon players were paired against each other in the first rounds.

Jeps you were paired against Kikered, who while doesn't post on Smogon, has strong ties to many old-timers here. :P He was considered part of the group in Skarm's post iirc.

In Dallas, Kikered didn't get picked, but I did. I had to play Tyler422 in the first round and failed horribly at prediction. It sucked that we had to play each other first round. It could have been easily avoidable had we known the format, so Nashville/Philly players take heed:

If you are picked to compete, you stand in a line. As you get to the front of the line, you will be called up to a battle station as it opens up. This means that the next 2 ppl in line could very well play each other. Tyler, Alaka, and I saw this and tried to split up. Alaka went to the back of the line. Tyler and I shuffled a bit so this little kid was in between us.

However, when I got to the front, two stations opened at once. I was sent to one, the little kid to another, and Tyler was sent to me.

I'm finished updating the list. It took quite a while, and you can find the link to it in my signature.

Originally posted by Fat Mosquitox216

5/30/09 London, United Kingdom (18 people attended) [This is before Arlington on the list because London is held first thanks to time zones]
-Havak
-Giant Enemy Crab
-UltimateUnknown (Gengar, Swampert, Latios, Metagross) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3rMyioiAvc
-Magic Umbreon
-Cinaclov
-froggy25
-Zog
-Dan Dan
-dragon9owns
-Kinneas
-Akira SquirtleSquad
-Wichu
-Ace Matador.
-twash
-Biggenz
-McSpam
-Shoe (Dusknoir, Camerupt, Abomasnow, Lapras) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3rMyioiAvc
-melmoth

5/30/09 Arlington, Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (11 people attended)
-penpad
-RaveSage
-Tyler422
-Nim
-nardd
-NestW
-magik0722
-fortegoddx
-TeeJay
-Kikered
-Alakapimp (Gengar, Garchomp, Mamoswine, Zapdos) http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2704
We have such a strong hold on the championships. Of the 16 top 4 participents (per qualifier), 8 of the 16 are from Smogon (this is America I'm talking about). Also, we have 2 of the 30 spots in Worlds secured (3 of 60 spots including Wichu's younger brother from Juniors).

Americans so far:
Seattle
1st:
2nd: Diesel
3rd/4th:
3rd/4th:

Fremont
1st: Batpig
2nd: Arkerus
3rd/4th: Siddarth
3rd/4th:

Phoenix
1st: zerowing
2nd:
3rd/4th: JDSaulbot
3rd/4th:

Arlington
1st: Alakapimp
2nd:
3rd/4th: NestW
3rd/4th:

On a side note, I think Japan vs. Smogon will be awesome. There's a total of 60 participants for worlds (30 in Seniors). Of those 30, 8 are from Japan, 16 are from the U.S., 2 are from the U.K., 2 are from Germany, and 2 are from France. Of course, the 8 Japanese players ad to go through a lot. There were 47 preliminaries across Japan, one in each prefecture. With 47 spread accross Japan, the tournaments probably did not reach the 128 limit besides the crowded ones. Thus almost all the players in Japan participated The top player from each preliminary was sent to one of 6 qualifers. A certain number of top ranking players from each qualifier were sent to the Nationals in Japan. Then the top 8 are going to be sent to Worlds. So it's the best 8 players from all across Japan versus possibly 13 Americans and 4 Europeans from Smogon.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Jeps you were paired against Kikered, who while doesn't post on Smogon, has strong ties to many old-timers here. :P He was considered part of the group in Skarm's post iirc.

In Dallas, Kikered didn't get picked, but I did. I had to play Tyler422 in the first round and failed horribly at prediction. It sucked that we had to play each other first round. It could have been easily avoidable had we known the format, so Nashville/Philly players take heed:

If you are picked to compete, you stand in a line. As you get to the front of the line, you will be called up to a battle station as it opens up. This means that the next 2 ppl in line could very well play each other. Tyler, Alaka, and I saw this and tried to split up. Alaka went to the back of the line. Tyler and I shuffled a bit so this little kid was in between us.

However, when I got to the front, two stations opened at once. I was sent to one, the little kid to another, and Tyler was sent to me.
Very wise suggestion as I don't want to have to face other top smogon players until the top 4 at least nor my son for that matter. Of course we'll need to be randomly chosen in order to compete. It would certainly suck if the best of us don't even get chosen similar to PBB in both San Francisco & Phoenix whereas the likes of Diesel's first round opponent in Seattle did get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)