Rave, Techno, Electronica...

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
The rave scene is something I've been getting into for the past couple of months and with little experience, I'm curious as to how much of a following it has now. My first exposure to this, oddly enough, came from listening to Hip Hop about ecstasy and listening to the music on ecstasy (Gucci Mane, Grind Mode). The music was good, which led me to take the drug, going to a couple of rave parties and hearing techno that I actually enjoyed. My interest dropped when I quit using drugs about 6 months ago. However, for the last 2-3 months, I've been fascinated with glowsticking/stringing and started to learn. Of course, there's no rave without techno and my urge to listen to it expanded and now I love it.

My purpose is to engage discussion in all things rave for any followers (ie: music, experiences, sticking/stringing, anything really...), so if you have anything to contribute whatsoever, do so.

My top songs in no particular order would be:
Deep Dish- Say Hello (Paul van Dyk Remix)
ATB and Paul Van Dyk- Rave me
DJ Tiesto- Touch Me
Cosmic Gate- Exploration of Space
*All Daft Punk songs

As far as sticking/stringing goes, I'm by no means spectacular, but I'm a decent beginner. Free handing is really simple, I'm just not creative enough to have a full routine complete (yet). Stringing is starting to frustrate me though because all the weaving gets me confused, but I'm getting there.

I haven't rolled in FOREVER, but I'm really feeling like it's appropriate to do so now. What I've done so far doesn't seem characteristic of MDMA, since one time I was hungry afterwards and the other time I fell asleep at the event (damn dirty pills). Anyway, my hands are clean for now. Also, not 18 yet so it's more X parties than actual rave events for me.

I haven't actually been to a rave before; I really haven't had the opportunity. But I will comment that I love chiptune music. If you aren't aware of it, then I suggest that you check it out; your local music scene will definitely have a few artists that are worth checking out.

Granted, FM, but molly is far more a rave drug than LSD (which I've always found better suited to sitting round campfires at the beach acting like mongs).

I've never had the chance to go to a full-on rave but I'll be turning 18 at the start of next schoolyear so I'll definitely be going to one when I get the chance (or just the club scene - I live in Vegas).

I love the music, the lights, the whole flashing bumping humping atmosphere. It all just seems like a blast, but I for one will be staying away from the drugs.

In Coachella and I'm guessing lots of other music festivals, the rave tents are always fun. They're some place to go when nothing else is really going on. It's just that the most disgusting things happen in those tents. It isn't uncommon to see vomit on the ground, unconscious concert goers, sparkly eyed ecstasy takers, and people having sex while everyone around is dancing.

I guess this is a good place to ask, but you hear electronica music get grouped into things like house, trance, techno, rave, whatever. Can someone distinguish these genres in musical terms? Like I've heard Daft Punk being described as house, but I've always described them, and all the other electronic music I listen to, as electronica. All these genre sub groups seem kind of unnecessary to me. Can someone shed some light on this, because to me there are hardly any distinguishing characteristics.

Hey man,
Good to hear your off the x, ive only ever had 3 in my life time, and as much as i love them, i just cant do that amount of damage to my body.

Anyways, to the discussion, i wouldnt say im part of the rave scene, but i do like a fair amount of dance, techno, and rave music.

I like the obvious ones like Armin Van Buuren, Infected Mushroom, Pendulum.

And more so the not so obvious artists like, Spore, Dj Narcotic, Rotterdam Terror Corps.

I like really dark trance and a bit of hardcore mainly, but im normally quite happy to settle.

lsd beats mdma anyday for enhancing music potency
great input moron.

deadmau5 deadmau5 deadmau5 deadmau5 IS THE SHITTTT damn. club remixes bump.

if you havent heard guru josh project's infinity, listen to it and the remixes...
pjanoo is great and ummm fuck what was it oh yea BASSHUNTER ???

edit:

never done e...yet, or acid...yet, but i am planning on going to toronto and rocking out hard at guvernment

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
guvernment is terrible hit up a real club...CiRCA!!!!!!!!

really though my fave is polson pier which is like the indier guvernment

i like candyflipping better than taking straight e and going to raves

hey corkman thanks ill keep in mind that you are the authority on opinions

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Daft Punk is the fucking best music group ever
Olie speaks the truth

Anyways, peachfuzz brought up a point that I'm curious about, too. What are the differences between the types of music because I really dunno myself. There are obviously distinct sounds to them, but how to classify?

Also, a week ago I went rolling for the first time in a long time. It was probably my first genuine roll though. I went to a club with some friends and all I could think about was their well-being lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)