Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though we aren't technically Smogoners, or don't consider ourselves yet, we've always relied on the smogon community for the best advice and strategy in pvp.

Together, a friend and I made it into the competition. I made it to quarter finals, my friend stopped short of finals when he got beat by an aerodactyle.
My team was:
gyarados @ shell bell
waterfall
rain dance
ice fang
protect
ludicolo @ leftovers
rain dance
surf
grass knot
fake out
kingdra @ life orb
outrage
hydro pump
ice beam
protect
metagross @ choice scarf
explosion
protect
earthquake
meteor mash

i noticed that there was a lot of semi-experience players that made it into the tournament. like they possibly vaguely knew about EVs, but not much else so that did add to the easyness of it... As for the round that i lost at, i threw out ludicolo and gyarados, he had jolteon and metagross. turn one, he used protect on jolteon, while i set up rain dance with gyarados, and attempting to fake out his jolteon, and his metagross ends up exploding taking out jolteon and gyarados. At this point i had almost given up hope, i mean it's almost impossible to come back from that. He sends out kingdra to replace his fallen metagross. and i send out my metagross and kingdra. unaware that my metagross had choice scarf on it, it managed to explode before getting taken down, and i used protect on my kingdra. so now it's about to be one on one, and he sends out a togekiss. with the impending stuggle i knew i had coming, i went for all or nothing and used outrage, but after a few turns of air slashing and i was just about done for, one last outrage hit, but lady luck was not on my side this time... it left him at a sliver of HP... and i was forced to go home empty handed :(....

Please fix your format. :( Add some spaces between the Pokemon and something that sets moves apart, like:

Gyrados@item
- Move
- Move
etc..

NextPoke@Item
- Move
- Move
etc..

Sucks that you got sent home that early. :(

Okay, so I went. I was a 13 year old noob in a blue Pokemon shirt. I got there around 7 AM. Then, there must've been like an overflow of Smogon members. My friend (Bianca, who made it to the finals, then lost to some old man) spotted some people with "Smogon shirts." No offense, if that was you guys, but you were really loud and obnoxious.

It was fun. I didn't get in, though.

And oh, Dragon0100, my friend who got in the finals, (read above) used an Aerodactyl that owned.

What color were the Smogon shirts? Were they the one in green? I didn't know a bunch of the Smogon players coordinated clothing lol. But yea I happened to remember a very annoying group of individuals all in green shirts sitting around a table.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We weren't the loud annoying guys. That was uh.. Cooltrainer Jim and his friends, I think.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Congrats Vash! It was a nice final battle, I would have thought you were going to win if I didn't know you already lost. Do you need help uploading it to Youtube or do you already have that covered?

Congratulations, Vash. Too bad that so many people made the trip all the way to Philadelphia just to get sent home. A few of my friends drove 9 hours from Michigan only to not get selected. Let's hope they increase the number of participants or some sort of registration system next time.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My mistake then, I thought the guys doing the chanting(which was annoying in its own right) were being loud outside of the chants too. Little crowded there, hard to tell who was doing what.

Help putting it on YouTube would be appreciated. I have the video number.

I won't be able to make a warstory because I only remember my final few matches... *sigh*

EDIT: Anyway, I am looking to setup a carpool to the Nashville event. From the Northeast (jersey, york, philly, etc) to Nashville. We would leave the day before the event. Anybody interested? Hopefully people that have cars? I want to go, and I think Bulldozer might, but I am not really talking to him atm.

Vash, I'm getting to the Newark international airport at about 9:00PM or AM ill find out, the 13th. Can you take me =]

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: Anyway, I am looking to setup a carpool to the Nashville event. From the Northeast (jersey, york, philly, etc) to Nashville. We would leave the day before the event. Anybody interested? Hopefully people that have cars? I want to go, and I think Bulldozer might, but I am not really talking to him atm.
I hope you're not planning on competing again. You could be screwing somebody else out of a spot in the tournament, or even a free trip to St. Louis.

Ok. I believe we are ALL together that the entry method to these tournaments is completely bogus.

Philly has to be a good testament to this. 600+ people, some driving more than 9 hours to attend, and sending 5/6th of the people away with nothing more than a shiny milotic.

Then people - LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Contact TPCi Directly! they have all their contact info here:
http://go-pokemon.com/contactus.html

The correct E-Mail to use while contacting them is:
customerservice@go-pokemon.com

Let them know how upset you are about the method of entry. Be polite and calm in your e-mail.

Suggest your ideas on how to better the entry method. Maybe bring back the online test, first come - first served, or unlimited entry.

Remember - just one voice is just one voice, but a crowd of voices turns heads.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Needless to say neither myself (#265 - wurmple) nor my son (#214 - heracross) got in as well as most of the Smogon crowd I was with as well.

I predicted many pages ago that Philadelphia would have 1000 though 600 is not far off. Why my prediction? Well New York was held last year and I was sure all of us that went and participated wanted to get back in, and that included BlueCookies, myself, my son and last year's winner Bonta-Kun. Also this site was closest to Boston, New York, Philadelphia & Washington DC all of whom had JAA events back in 2006, including top 4 contender TTS.

What was also startling was that the lowest number that got picked was #10, so #1-#9 did not get in nor did TTS (rattata) whom got there way before I did while I was still on the highway.

While I stayed and watched the final match involving VashTheStampede (somebody please undo his ICBB so he could post his warstory?), I did also get to meet with TTS, Carl, HNH, BlueCookies, Bonta-Kun, Jonathon, other names I can't easily remember. VashTS, Sandman, etc... Intriguing that VashTS & Sandman had to face each other in the top 16 match though.

Also, I got interviewed by a volunteer Shane Cherry from the Philadelphia Video Game Examiner as I further expressed my feelings and also promoted Smogon as the best online source for Pokemon as well.

At this time, I have no plans to try and get into Nashville nor St.Louis. I'll have to wait until next year and hopefully they'll have more regional events here on the east coast like they did back in 2006 with the JAA.

I hope you're not planning on competing again. You could be screwing somebody else out of a spot in the tournament, or even a free trip to St. Louis.
Of course not, that would make me an asshole. I want to go to chill with you guys, and battle some people. And maybe steal one of your motel rooms while I pick up a cute PokeGirl who didn't get picked... and Slowpoke her Cloyster..

Bianca was quite cute. And I don't appreciate being called old, I'm only 20.
-_-;

I beat him too, I believe, before I played Bianca.
I've been meaning to make an account here for the longest time xD

thank youuu Vash! hehe. and congrats on getting second! that's still really awesome

I think the tourney was...ehhh. I mean I think they should have stuck with the online qualifier round to weed out some people that way 600+ don't show up or drive obscene amounts of hours only to get turned down. Though I'm not any good I will admit I did better than last year in NYC (I was defeated first round by trick room team) so this year I was sure to be prepared for trickroomers but surprisingly there were very little this year! I only threw off 2 trick room teams.

I do agree though, some people were obnoxious. there was a small group that was not only very obnoxious (and not in a fun yay! kind of way) but they were pretty rude to me :< Other than that it was a ton of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing some videos, I have one to post later on :D

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Man I have to face EE! This kinda sucks. I hope my team can hold up to his. Maybe I will get lucky and get in but and him and his son won't. XD. Sorry EE I sorta want you to get in but I don't want to die either lol.
Wow did not realize that was you Ethan until further reading these posts. Congrations on your win anyways as Smogon does have a 4th straight winner after all. Did you realize your matches were being viewed on TV and had a large fan base?

I've been meaning to make an account here for the longest time xD

thank youuu Vash! hehe. and congrats on getting second! that's still really awesome

I think the tourney was...ehhh. I mean I think they should have stuck with the online qualifier round to weed out some people that way 600+ don't show up or drive obscene amounts of hours only to get turned down. Though I'm not any good I will admit I did better than last year in NYC (I was defeated first round by trick room team) so this year I was sure to be prepared for trickroomers but surprisingly there were very little this year! I only threw off 2 trick room teams.

I do agree though, some people were obnoxious. there was a small group that was not only very obnoxious (and not in a fun yay! kind of way) but they were pretty rude to me :< Other than that it was a ton of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing some videos, I have one to post later on :D
Ahh, Bianca? Hello, cutie. ;)

Yes, my team was also set up to thwart TR, or use TR against itself. It was actually funny that a few people set it up for me, finding themselves outsped by the likes of Curse Mamoswine, powerful Priority, and Slowking. :D

Wow did not realize that was you Ethan until further reading these posts. Congrations on your win anyways as Smogon does have a 4th straight winner after all. Did you realize like all of your matches were being viewed on TV and had a large fan base?
I fixed that a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)