Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the war stories about how people were tired and hungry, traveling a long way only to get turned back is pretty sad. Surely the Pokemon Company can do MUCH better. Sign the petition everyone! :P

I think we need something like the sign-up system in JAA. The bad part is my e-mail didn't work around that time, so my mom called and got me and my friend a chance in 2 of the tourneys. We both got in at Dallas and houston. I got to semi in dallas and 2nd round in houston.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here is my outlook for what I expect will happen in Nashville on Saturday:

Normally I would expect there to be 300 but given the circumstances of the many that got turned away at Philadelphia and with it being in center to populations from as far as Florida to Ohio/Michigan I am going to predict there will be no less than 400 people there.

So when registration is between 8:30am - 9:30am, so long as you're in line by around 9:30am you should be fine, just have to deal with the random lottery bullcrap that takes place at around 10am and hope you are luckily chosen. If you have no backup plans, consider this a wasted trip. That's about as much as I can advise for now.

i bummed on everyone that went to philly and got turned away. i participated last year at NYC and got in the top 16 with EE and Bluecookies... it was awesome. but following this thread and knowing how many smogonites would be going, i didn't think chances to get in were very good, but 600 seniors - damn. sorry to those who traveled wide and got burned. i do hope to see next year change and allow a more competent selection method. i'll sign the petition after writing this post.

i haven't been posting much, but this is the one thread i keep my eyes on. oh and props to all those who have won spots at nationals, good luck.

Expert Evan

Update, received the following reply from Michael Liesik:
Ideally, we would allow every player that showed up to participate. However, due to the technical requirements necessary to hold a tournament of this magnitude, there are only 128 competitor slots available for each age division. A first-come, first-served registration process gives significant advantage to local players. To help offset this, we are using a random selection process to determine who will compete in the event. Should fewer than 128 players in an age division register for the event, all will be taken.

We plan on improving our events every year, and the method of selection is one of the key areas that we'll be focusing on for future events.

Michael Liesik
The Pokemon Company International
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004
www.go-pokemon.com/op
Hopefully he'll stand by his word on improving the tournament. Hope.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I got the exact same response, Evan.

If they oh.. triple the number of stops, things will be better next year.

Expert Evan

I'm now curious as to how many of the exact same letter got sent out to those that emailed. Hopefully he got the message.
i bummed on everyone that went to philly and got turned away. i participated last year at NYC and got in the top 16 with EE and Bluecookies... it was awesome. but following this thread and knowing how many smogonites would be going, i didn't think chances to get in were very good, but 600 seniors - damn. sorry to those who traveled wide and got burned. i do hope to see next year change and allow a more competent selection method. i'll sign the petition after writing this post.

i haven't been posting much, but this is the one thread i keep my eyes on. oh and props to all those who have won spots at nationals, good luck.
Hey kindnugs, I was expecting to see you, probably made the right decision not to show up as we were quite pissed compared to the joy of last year. We never got around to getting group photos that was how pissed off we were this year.

marilland does the same stupid pose in every picture lol
I was just about to post my pic of me and him and say the same thing.
I'll post it later.

BTW: Anyone in NJ/NY thinking of driving to TN this weekend? If so, I want to join. I promise to pay for my share (ie, gas, food)

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
Well, I won't be attending Nashville. My group fell apart due to concerned parents. I am planning to attend next year with a promise from parents that they will let all 5 of us go next year with 2x our money.

I am always wanting Vgc battles though.

Well, I won't be attending Nashville. My group fell apart due to concerned parents. I am planning to attend next year with a promise from parents that they will let all 5 of us go next year with 2x our money.

Whenever you have time then, we should fight at some point.

Ahh, Bianca? Hello, cutie. ;)

Yes, my team was also set up to thwart TR, or use TR against itself. It was actually funny that a few people set it up for me, finding themselves outsped by the likes of Curse Mamoswine, powerful Priority, and Slowking. :D

I fixed that a bit.

yep, tis me, hiya ^-^!

I knew it! kinda...when I saw slowking I thought "trick room?" that's why I taunted it and then you didn't use it so I felt like kicking myself in the face. I was such an epic fail because of that haha. I shoulda used crunch with floatzel, oh well it was a good match ;D I definitely want to battle you sometime

I just watched the finals. crap I thought what a close game! that freeze was so lucky O: I am so preparing for next year. hopefully they'll set it up better

marriland cracked me up. seriously.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I got the same message word for word.
Same for me. Canned responses are lame. Still, I think it's better than nothing (though not by much)

Whenever you have time then, we should fight at some point.
For both of you: I'm not going to Tennessee's VGC (WAY too far from PA - about 14 hours), but if you ever want to practice, my Platinum FC is in my sig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRppw5vrs0

check out marriland at 2:20 of the video
hahahahaha! That's so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRppw5vrs0

check out marriland at 2:20 of the video
I swear to god, Marriland is the biggest dork I've ever seen. That said, I don't mind a guy who's willing to make a fool of himself.

By the way, anyone have the link of the video where the guy is talking when Breloom and Shedinja are facing off, he says that Breloom can't touch Shedinja, Breloom uses Rock Slide and he goes "ROCK SLIDE WTF?!"

I've only heard of this video, never seen it for myself. Do you guys figure VGC will still be played after all the events are completed?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I swear to god, Marriland is the biggest dork I've ever seen. That said, I don't mind a guy who's willing to make a fool of himself.

By the way, anyone have the link of the video where the guy is talking when Breloom and Shedinja are facing off, he says that Breloom can't touch Shedinja, Breloom uses Rock Slide and he goes "ROCK SLIDE WTF?!"

I've only heard of this video, never seen it for myself. Do you guys figure VGC will still be played after all the events are completed?
The Rock Slide WHAT THE FUCK video was taken down by the dude but the Breloom WHAT THE FUCK video is still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAb8CNAGEk

Around 4:00

I think many of you will be glad to see the response I got from the feedback I sent to TCPi,

Justin,
I can assure you that we're already working on plans to include more players, be that through more events, or a more inclusive registration method. I understand the disappointment of the players, but we're only in our second full year of running these events, so I would ask that you take notice that we've added 8 events worldwide this year alone, so we are certainly doing what we can to improve the series.

Thank you,
Dave
Pokemon Customer Service

Here is my response :P

Ideally, we would allow every player that showed up to participate. However, due to the technical requirements necessary to hold a tournament of this magnitude, there are only 128 competitor slots available for each age division. A first-come, first-served registration process gives significant advantage to local players. To help offset this, we are using a random selection process to determine who will compete in the event. Should fewer than 128 players in an age division register for the event, all will be taken.

We plan on improving our events every year, and the method of selection is one of the key areas that we'll be focusing on for future events.

Michael Liesik
The Pokemon Company International
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004

BTW: I know I don't live in USA, but I want to help out ;)

Expert Evan

Zexy Boxers Union's response back confirms many of us got the same. I like the response that jeps got at least.

Interpretation which I hope is not true: We plan on improving our events so that instead of seeing a level 39 leafeon, you'll see a level 45 umbreon the next time in honor of HG/SS coming out, and our selection process will seek which ones does moves that Ash Ketchum does in the anime such as pikachu doing thunderbolt on rhydon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)