'Twas Beauty Killed the Beast...

I haven't made a team in a good while now, and most that i have made in general have been mediocre at best, so i'd really appreciate any comments to be made, be they compliments or criticisms.

Gengar@Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid (+Speed/-Att)
EVs: 4 Hp/252 SpAtt/252 Speed
-Energy Ball
-HP [fire]
-Shadowball
-Taunt

I wanted an anti-lead who could take care of the majority of leads which were to be expected. I wanted him to be quick, so as to strike first as often as possible, so i chose a timid nature and 252 Speed EVs, which works well with taunt, used for the many leads who attempt to set up on the first turn. I then simply chose 252 SpAtt to hit harder and ensure a greater proportion of OHKOs. I also wanted a ghost type, so as to be immune to explosions which opposing suicide leads may have. To these ends i chose Gengar, as i felt he could do the job quite well. Unfortunately, i have been a little out of touch with the competitive battling scene for a while now due to exams and whatnot, so i;m unsure of the most common leads at the moment. However, Energy Ball is primarily for Swampert leads, whilst shadowball gets STAB and takes care of such leads as Azelf or Alakazam. I chose HP [fire] over thunderbolt for the surprise factor, as well as the fact that it takes care of a number of common leads. Focus Sash to ensure a hit against faster opponents and an extra turn elsewise.

Porygon Z@Choice Scarf
Download
Timid (+Speed/-Att)
EVs: 4 Hp/252 SpAtt/252 Speed
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-HP (Fighting)
-Tri Attack

I was thinking of who to choose as a good revenge killer, and for whatever reason was attracted to Porygon-Z, who is rather fast, and hits hard enough, although admittedly not as hard as i would like in some cases. With Choice Scarf and a modest nature, Porygon-Z reaches a respectable speed of 418, which is notable fast enough to outspeed Timid Scarftran, who i feel could cause problems if not taken care of quickly. Heatran is the main reason for HP [ground] for the 4x hit, although the coverage against other steels is welcome. I am considering fighting instead, however, for the stronger hit on Tyranatar. I decided to choose Fighting considering a slight TTar weakness, although changed the nature to Timid to outspeed +1 Dragonite and Timid Scarftran, who tied the modest version due to the loss of 1 Speed IV from HP [Fighting]. Bolt-beam is also chosen for coverage, although i was considering replacing Thunderbolt, as it doesn't really hit much extra that i need. Tri-attack is simply strong STAB for neutral hits on the majority of opposition. Download over adaptability due to less of a reliance on Tri Attack with this set, and allowing in many cases for a SpAtt boost, which is always welcome.

Scizor@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant (+Att/-SpAtt)
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Att/4 Def
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Scizor is being hyped up a lot lately, and I like him, although usually i would choose a much more defensive variant for baton passing. However, the choice band set hits hard, and this cn be considered my only real physical sweeper. The set is nothing special and should be fairly self explanatory: Bullet Punch for strong priority STAB, U-turn for scouting, particularly for Scizor counters, whilst scoring a respectable hit in most cases, Superpower for Heatran if need be, and pursuit for obvious switches, as well as some sort of hit on Rotom. Altogether I'm actually rather unsure of this, as most people are prepared for it and it doesn't really work all that well in general. Changed spread to hit harder and survive more hits, also, U-turn works more effectively, and i can hit opposing Scizor harder with Superpower should they do the same to me, as i move last after their Def drop.

Metagross@Leftovers
Clear Body
Impish (+Def/-SpAtt)
EVs: 204 Hp/216 Def/88 SpDef
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Thunderpunch
-Ice Punch

I wanted a sturdy tank, and with Metagross' resistances, stats and offensive capabilities, he was a perfect choice. The set, however, is less perfect. The HP EVs hit a lefties point, and the Defence EVs a jump point, with the rest thrown into Special Defence to improve survivability. The moveset is obvious, with Meteor Mash and Earthquake being staples of any decent metagross. The latter allows him to deal with steels very well, such as Lucario and Heatran (I really don't like Heatran), and, in general, the two together allow him to do what he wants to do well, with thunderpunch for Gyarados and Stealth Rock as filler, as i was somewhat hesitant to include Explosion, not seeing it as being overly necessary. Overall it does what it should, but i can't help feel that there's something vital missing. Ice Punch > Stealth Rock as a measure against +1 DDMence, who outspeeds Porygon-Z. Also for better coverage.

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Rain Dish
Calm (+SpDef/-Att)
EVs: 204 Hp/52 Def/76 SpAtt/176 SpDef
-Leech Seed
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Protect

A Special Sponge, and quite a nice one, albeit rather annoying. Leech Seed, Leftovers and Protect work well, especially when stalling, and in particular with toxic support from Metagross. Ice Beam deals with dragons and Gliscor, and the 76 EVs in SpAtt, i'm told, ensure the OHKO on Salamence. I went with Surf over Grass Knot, after much hesitation, for the hit on Mixape, primarily, and the increased power. Also, Surf hits most of the heavy ground or rock types that grass knot would anyway, the only problem arises against bulky waters. The 204 HP EVs hits a lefties point and the 176 SpDef a jump point, with the rest into Defense. As with Metagross, I feel there's something missing here, and i;m not sure what.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Intimidate
Impish(+Def/-SpAtt)
EVs: 216 Hp/64 Att/184 Def/44Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Taunt

I intended this to act as a defensive pokemon and a mixape counter in many cases, however i found in carrying out a large part of the team's offensive work too thanks to Dragon Dance. However, I am genuinely considering Ice Fang over Waterfall because of the significantly better super effective coverage it garners (notably against Togekiss, who frequently switch in for some reason), albeit at the expense of a large amount of power. It also has the element of surprise, to a degree, and Earthquake covers the fire types that waterfall was supposed to anyway. For the time being, though, i shall simply go with Waterfall. I am set on earthquake over stone edge as it provides much better coverage in my opinion, whilst at the same time taking care of Mixape (if waterfall is not used) and various steel types. One major downside, however, is that without Waterfall or Stone Edge i have nothing to threaten Skarmory with, although I am not overly concerned about this.

Please don't simply look over this, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

note that hp fire means you lose to other lead gengars. you lose automatically to heatran leads but they might switch for fear of FB. lead bullet punching metagross will beat you too.

don't ever run gyara without a water attack, it's really a bad idea, not to meantion ice fang barely does more than waterfall, especially when you factor in the accuracy. instead run stone edge over EQ

you have no status taker and a twave thrown out will cripple pretty much everyone, less so meta and colo. HP fire twave celebi will bother you a lot unless you're smart with gengar.

If you're unsure about scizor, one addition that could really help your team is a jolteon variant, possibly life orb charge beam thunderbolt shadowball hp fight. It helps deal with twaves and gives you a needed electric immune.

note that hp fire means you lose to other lead gengars. you lose automatically to heatran leads but they might switch for fear of FB. lead bullet punching metagross will beat you too.

don't ever run gyara without a water attack, it's really a bad idea, not to meantion ice fang barely does more than waterfall, especially when you factor in the accuracy. instead run stone edge over EQ

you have no status taker and a twave thrown out will cripple pretty much everyone, less so meta and colo. HP fire twave celebi will bother you a lot unless you're smart with gengar.

If you're unsure about scizor, one addition that could really help your team is a jolteon variant, possibly life orb charge beam thunderbolt shadowball hp fight. It helps deal with twaves and gives you a needed electric immune.
I have Shadow Ball and Focus Sash for other Gengars, and in general HP [fire] works really well, particularly against Scizor switch-ins. With the others, I would just switch out anyway, realising there isn't much i could do anyway.

I am leaning heavily in the way of waterfall, although I'd much rather have EQ over Stone Edge, for nape and heatran.

Generally, Super effective ice attacks hurt Celebi, although the lack of status absorbtion is a fair point, and i would consider that jolteon now that you mention it, i'll keep it in mind, thanks.

uh you do realize that waterfall will kill nape and heatran right?

I am leaning heavily in the way of waterfall, although I'd much rather have EQ over Stone Edge, for nape and heatran.
your gengar might not be the only one holding a sash!

I've been thinking of how i might make the team better a lot recently, and i've been considering replacing Ludicolo with the following to deal with Scizor once Gengar's gone, as well as handle Jirachi and Cresselia somewhat more effectively:

Dusknoir@Leftovers
Pressure
Careful (+SpDef/-SpAtt)
EVs: 228 Hp/28 Att/216 SpDef/36 Def
-Pain Split
-Will-o-wisp
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Punch

If i do replace, i also intend to replace Stealth Rock with Ice Punch on Metagross for the added Ice coverage, as Ice Beam is lost, which actually helps deal with dragons after a DD, as they generaly outspeed Porygon-Z

This is true. i suggest Flygon instead of ludicolo, since twave doesn't effect it and U-turn does big damage to celebi. He also helps with scizors fire weakness and meta's ground weakness

Hmmm, For ludicolo why not use a celebi? It can do everything Ludicolo can do and better + it can take status since he have natural cure. He can heal bell seeing your team won't like any status attack.

I don't know any set for him but you could use him.

This is true. i suggest Flygon instead of ludicolo, since twave doesn't effect it and U-turn does big damage to celebi. He also helps with scizors fire weakness and meta's ground weakness
That does seem logical actually; however, then i would be left without any for of special wall really, which was ludicolo's initial purpose. Would you suggest perhaps replacing Scizor with Flygon? Or with some other physical sweeper?

Hmmm, For ludicolo why not use a celebi? It can do everything Ludicolo can do and better + it can take status since he have natural cure. He can heal bell seeing your team won't like any status attack.
This is a very fair point, and i was considering it. However, it would give quite a substatial fir weakness, with Scizor, Metagross and Celebi then being weak to it.

I was, however, considering the following Tyranitar set:

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Sandstream
Careful (+SpDef/-SpAtt)
EVs: 252 Hp/252 SpDef/4 Def
-Curse
-Substiute
-Crunch
-Stone Edge

As it doesnt hurt my team too much with sandstream, and has the defenses i need. It survives a Focus Blast (~18% Hp left) from any 394 SpAtt pokemon without STAB and can OHKO Gengar with Crunch, chosen over pursuit for the added power against Cresselia and the like. Scizor is 2HKOed by Stone Edge, and Max Def, Min HP Blissey is 3HKOed, whilst Max/Max is 2HKOed after a Curse. Scizor, however, causes big problems, and i would consider running Fire Punch > Substitute for that reason.

I have also edited my OP with some minor changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)