Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/192 Spd/64 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
I was just testing to see if I could make a Physical version of "Nasty Plot MixApe". The abundance of MixApe on the special side leads to counters like Latias, who is stroked by a +2 Stone Edge.

I suck at EVs so it's just the EVs from Physical MixApe. And the moves are just from SD Ape with Fire Punch replaced with Overheat.

I feel bad for posting a thrown together set, but I need help to see where to go with this and it's doing pretty well already.
I've tried this set out, and quite frankly, it relies solely on prediction in order to be effective on the fighting resistant counters,for example, Latias must be hit on the switch in order to even stand a chance against her, and Ape can't swords dance the turns she switchs in, Ape must use stone edge the turn that she switchs in. Two of Ape's counters, Vaporeon and Swampert, are certainly killed with a +2 CC.
+2 252 vs. 240/216+ Swampert: 348 - 409 (87.00% - 102.25%) 54% of ko with sr
+2 252 vs. 188/252+ Vaporeon:427 - 504 (95.31% - 112.50%) 74% of Ohko without SR, guaranteed with. This set basically mirrors the physical based mix-set, and adds swords dance in lieu of u-turn.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Priority Toxicroak

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
196 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 28 Def/ 28 SDef
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Bullet Punch
Protect

Gimmicky as hell, but it's a pretty good revenge killer/Water-type counter, provided the opponent has taken SR damage or was weakened by another Pokemon.

Fake Out on the switch-in, then procede to use the priority moves as you see fit. The EV's are split up to give you balanced (if weak) coverage, and Speed Ev's aren' necessary as your Speed stat isn't utilized.

Gastrodon:@ Lum Berry
252 hp, 252 def, 6 spatt
Bold
Sticky Hold
-Surf
-Earth Power
-Recover
-Protect/ Counter

Beats a ton of leads, like EPing Metagross leads, Surfing Azelf, Eping Jirachi, ect. Protect can sheild against Metagross' Explosions and Bronzongs' Explosions. It also helps with scouting and beating Infernapes' Fake Outs. Lum Berry prevents a sleep and stall hindering Toxic. While this is the first set of evs, I'll try and look inot others. It is reccomended to use this lead with Tentacruel for Toxic Spikes support and Rapid Spin. Counter will allow you to beat Tyranitar easily though.

Gastrodon:@ Lum Berry
252 hp, 252 def, 6 spatt
Bold
Sticky Hold
-Surf
-Earth Power
-Recover
-Protect/ Counter

Beats a ton of leads, like EPing Metagross leads, Surfing Azelf, Eping Jirachi, ect. Protect can sheild against Metagross' Explosions and Bronzongs' Explosions. It also helps with scouting and beating Infernapes' Fake Outs. Lum Berry prevents a sleep and stall hindering Toxic. While this is the first set of evs, I'll try and look inot others. It is reccomended to use this lead with Tentacruel for Toxic Spikes support and Rapid Spin. Counter will allow you to beat Tyranitar easily though.
100% inferior to Swampert...
Same moves as swampert [bar recover], same typing, different ability which has little/no effect.
Recover generally wont help as something will come in to finish you off.

100% inferior to Swampert...
It's obviously not 100% inferior, because, like you said, Gastrodon has Recover. But as a lead in OU, Swampert is better 90% of the time. TrickRachi and TrickGross, for example. Roserade shits all over you, though. Gastrodon just isn't a good lead, it needs time to set up Stockpiles before it can survive a good hit.

An idea I came up with for Venomoth quite a long time ago and have used on Shoddy and WiFi to great effect. Now, the same principle's been passed over to a Pokémon who can execute it better:

"Mister Twister" Choice Scarf Yanmega

Role: Lead/Anti-Lead/Late-Game Revenge Killer

Modest 252 special attack 252 speed 4 HP @Choice Scarf

Tinted Lens

Bug Buzz
Air Slash
HP Ground
Toxic

A reliable lead for all circumstances. Absolutely nobody will be expecting a scarfed Yanmega, since most Yanmega open with Protect to allow Speed Boost to come into effect, and this alone may give you an advantage. Scarf also allows Mr Twister to outrun any lead that isn't also running a scarf, and it can deal significant damage to the most common of those anyway.

Bug Buzz and Air Slash are the obligatory STAB moves, and should be used most often. Air Slash for if you're banking on flinch-hax to help you whittle something down or if it's super effective, Bug Buzz otherwise. HP Ground turns Heatran's capability of walling you otherwise on its head, allowing significant damage. Toxic is for those moments where you're against something that Mr Twister can't put a considerable dent into, though those situations are rare.

Overall, treat Mr Twister Yanmega like you would a scarf Venomoth combined with scarf Heracross. It plays very similarly to either of those and is a solid lead in any environment. He's a great anti-lead, killing most leads that don't have a sash, and once you've switched him out he can return later on for some revenge killing. However, unlike Venomoth, he can't be brought back in later to remove toxic spikes. Small disadvantage though.

I'm pretty certain this hasn't been posted before. I was initially posting my favourite scarf Venomoth set, then it occurred to me that Yanmega would be amazing at filling the same niche as my old Venomoth. It outclasses Venomoth in pretty much every way, being stronger, having a better movepool, slightly faster and much more physically bulky. Loses a bit of special defence though, and gains additional weakness to stealth rock, advocating a spinner on the team.

Pokemon Name: Snorlax
Moveset Name: Chaoslax (It creates Chaos!)
Crunch / Pursuit
Focus Punch
Yawn
Return
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Immumity / Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 6 Def (He works fine with this spread but maybe some of the the HP EVs need to go to the defences....)

Something I came up with while making an Entry Hazard team.
It works really good with Entry Hazards.

The idea is to Yawn, and if they don't switch you get free Focus Punches, and if the switch you get a free Focus Punch.
Crunch hits psychics and ghosts, making switching in into this thing very hard if the user knows how to predict and it gives some good type coverage.
Return is obviously for the STAB and power and when Yawn doesn't work.
Earthquake can be considered but it's not so good on this set because it allready has Focus Punch.

It's a nice set because it forces the user to switch and at the same time it makes switching pretty dangerous.

A quick set I through together:
Swords Dance MixApe

Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/192 Spd/64 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
I was just testing to see if I could make a Physical version of "Nasty Plot MixApe". The abundance of MixApe on the special side leads to counters like Latias, who is stroked by a +2 Stone Edge.

I suck at EVs so it's just the EVs from Physical MixApe. And the moves are just from SD Ape with Fire Punch replaced with Overheat.

I feel bad for posting a thrown together set, but I need help to see where to go with this and it's doing pretty well already.
I really don't see what that set has over standard SDape, overheat won't OHKO hippowdon it does 62.14% - 73.10% with your spread, and pokemon like suicune/cresselia still wall you badly.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's obviously not 100% inferior, because, like you said, Gastrodon has Recover. But as a lead in OU, Swampert is better 90% of the time. TrickRachi and TrickGross, for example. Roserade shits all over you, though. Gastrodon just isn't a good lead, it needs time to set up Stockpiles before it can survive a good hit.
How is it screwed over by TrickRachi or TrickGross? Sticky Hold prevents them from Tricking Gastrodon's item away (or Knocking it off), so in contrast, it actually fares better against those things than Swampert. Roserade is a problem though since Gastrodon can't really do anything to it. (although with 116 SDef EVs and a +nature it can always survive a max spatk Grass Knot from Roserade, something that Swampert certainly can't do!)

Sticky Hold has become a much better ability in the Platinum metagame though, because of all the new pokemon that got Trick.

How is it screwed over by TrickRachi or TrickGross? Sticky Hold prevents them from Tricking Gastrodon's item away (or Knocking it off), so in contrast, it actually fares better against those things than Swampert. Roserade is a problem though since Gastrodon can't really do anything to it. (although with 116 SDef EVs and a +nature it can always survive a max spatk Grass Knot from Roserade, something that Swampert certainly can't do!)

Sticky Hold has become a much better ability in the Platinum metagame though, because of all the new pokemon that got Trick.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Bad wording, sorry.

Crunch
Focus Punch
Yawn
Return
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 6 Def (He works fine with this spread but maybe some of the the HP EVs need to go to the defences....)

The idea is to Yawn, and if they don't switch you get free Focus Punches, and if the switch you get a free Focus Punch.
Crunch hits psychics and ghosts, making switching in into this thing very hard if the user knows how to predict and it gives some good type coverage.
Earthquake can be considered but it's not so good on this set because it allready has Focus Punch.

It's a nice set because it forces the user to switch and at the same time it makes switching pretty dangerous.
Snorlax already has enough HP so you should move the HP EVs to its defenses and make the defenses as close to equal as you can. The problem with this Snorlax is that neutral Focus Punch is weaker than neutral Return. This Snorlax also has no recovery move and will quickly be worn down by attacks and Steath Rock, making it a less effective tank.

Crunch
Focus Punch
Yawn
Return

Switch Crunch out for Pursuit. If you're causing switches, pursuit is very viable.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Slack Off

This is by far the best Trick Room user I have ever constructed. Slowbro is one hell of a bulky Pokemon, which immediately makes it a viable option on any Trick Room team. With its superb Defense, it can easily switch into many threats, set up Calm Mind, and then attempt to use Trick Room so Slowbro almost always moves first, and then proceed to sweep with Surf and heal whenever needed. It works almost like CroCune since it only has one attacking move. I've swept many teams with this under-looked sweeper.

I know that Focus Punch is weaker than return but it still hits many Snorlax switchins way harder than Return would. It's just a good replacment for EQ what becomes way more effective on this set.

Switch Crunch out for Pursuit. If you're causing switches, pursuit is very viable.
Ah yeah good idea.

Priority Toxicroak

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
196 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 28 Def/ 28 SDef
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Bullet Punch
Protect

Gimmicky as hell, but it's a pretty good revenge killer/Water-type counter, provided the opponent has taken SR damage or was weakened by another Pokemon.

Fake Out on the switch-in, then procede to use the priority moves as you see fit. The EV's are split up to give you balanced (if weak) coverage, and Speed Ev's aren' necessary as your Speed stat isn't utilized.
Wouldn't this set work better on Hitmontop?

I know Toxicroak has higher Base Attack, but Hitmontop gets technician making all but Sucker Punch do more damage. Also Hitmontop is quite a bit bulkier and can even get rapid spin if your team needs it.
@ Life Orb / Leftovers
Adamant / Technician
252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def
- Mach Punch
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Bullet Punch / Rapid Spin / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Toxic / Protect / Pursuit

Something like this maybe? I know that's a lot of slashes, but that really depends on what the team needs.

Pokemon: Smeargle
Moveset Name: DD Smeargle

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Spore
~Baton Pass
252 Speed/252 Attack/4 HP

Strategy:

Spore the first turn. Then Dragon Dance as mush as you can, Earthquake if the opponent is weak against it, otherwise Baton Pass all those DDs to a sweeper and end the game quick.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Spore
~Baton Pass

Strategy:

Spore the first turn. Then Dragon Dance as mush as you can, Earthquake if the opponent is weak against it, otherwise Baton Pass all those DDs to a sweeper and end the game quick.
The standard Belly Drum sub-salac set is much more efficient as it only needs 2 turns to get +6 attack and + 1 speed. While Potentially sending a sub to your preferred sweeper as well.

Yours takes too long to get any significant boost, and doesn't ensure it gets it's boosts to something, due to no sub.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Spore
~Baton Pass

Strategy:

A +1 Earthquake from Smeargle still won't do much damage regardless =/

Its definitely inferior to Belly Pass

Any attack wont do much damage anyway.
Adamant 252 Smeargle Extremespeed vs 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape = 608 Atk vs 178 Def & 293 HP (80 Base Power): 294 - 346 (100.34% - 118.09%)

In other words, even with +6 earthquake will not do much damage at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)