Team Twisted Dimensions - A Trick Room RMT

Team Twisted Dimensions

Introduction

Trick Room teams are one of the most hardest and challenging teams to master, but if one has built a successful Trick Room team, it can become relatively brutal. In this case, I liked the idea of constructing a hard-to-use team, so I took on the challenge and I ended up with a solid product from my past experiences using it. I'm proud to announce that I've designed one of the best Trick Room teams I've used that has given me a decent win/loss ratio of approximately 6 : 2.

Thought Process

When I wanted to make a Trick Room team, I made myself a set of guidelines to follow: 1, I need two Pokemon that set up Trick Room and switch out to the appropriate Pokemon; 2, I need two Pokemon that set up Trick Room and can sweep under it without switching; 3, I need one Pokemon that acts as a mixed wall breaker so I don't have to switch out of something I can't hurt, wasting my Trick Room time; and 4, I needed a powerful sweeper.

Since I needed two Pokemon that can set up Trick Room and switch out to the appropriate Pokemon, I immediately thought of two Pokemon that can do this well; Jirachi and Bronzong. Jirachi may seem ridiculous since it's quite fast, but that's the point. I needed something that can quickly set up Stealth Rock, attempt to use Trick Room, and have a slow U-turn so I can switch in my sweepers without hurting them. Jirachi fits that perfectly. On the other hand, Bronzong is bulky enough to almost always set up Trick Room and can either explode right away, or attack a few Pokemon here and there depending on the situation I'm in.

Following my second guideline, I needed two Pokemon that can set up Trick Room and sweep under it. This is when Porygon2 and Slowbro sprang in my mind. Porygon2 is a devastating sweeper once it has received a Special Attack boost from Download, and can put the hurt in many Pokemon. Slowbro is a special sweeper of mine, since I designed a unique set for him which he has used to sweep entire teams. Slowbro handles many important threats like Salamence.

Now I needed to find a mixed sweeper that's slow enough to move first and dent many threats. At first, this was quite troublesome for me to find such thing, but as I looked for decent mixed attackers, Nidoking stood out. It has all of the moves it needs to break down walls, so I immediately put it on the team.

And finally, a strong sweeper. Of course it would be Snorlax. Snorlax is a really strong Pokemon, and I love using him because he can switch into so many special attacks coming from things like Starmie and the Rotom formes.

The Team

Trick Room Users

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/160 Def/32 Spd/76 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Many Trick Room teams lead with either Bronzong or Porygon2, but I wanted to try something different. Nobody expects Jirachi to be setting up Trick Room, many people think it's either Scarfed, or on of those paralyzing variants. Jirachi can easily set up Stealth Rock and proceed to set up Trick Room quite easily. Depending on the lead, Jirachi can score a slow U-turn a lot of time, which leaves my incoming sweeper unharmed and ready to wreak havoc. Iron Head is there as a way for Jirachi to do some damage, and it's really fun when I use Iron Head on slower leads to flinch them, or when I use Trick Room on faster leads and attempt to flinch them from there. Jirachi almost always gets the match started in my favor.

Bronzong @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Bronzong is a fabulous Trick Room supporter, I must say. It's defensively bulky, but at the same time it can pack quite a punch. I chose Life Orb as an item because I tend to use Bronzong as one of those "suicidal" Pokemon I guess you could say. As in, I set up Trick Room and hurt as much as I can, then set up Trick Room again if I can and blow up to send in a sweeper. Bronzong is also a helpful answer against major threats that are trying to set up against me, like TauntDos for example. Since I no longer need Stealth Rock set up, Earthquake takes its place so I can nail Heatran and other things that are weak to it.

Trick Room Sweepers

Porygon2 @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/156 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Porygon2 is a devastating sweeper under Trick Room, especially once it has achieved a Special Attack Download boost. It can really dent a ton of Pokemon trying to switch in on it. It is a reliable Trick Room supporter, and can Recover off any damage taken. Porygon2 is a great answer to Gyarados as it can survive a +1 Waterfall and can set up Trick Room and OHKO it since it will move first. It's also a good answer to all of the Dragons, Salamence in particular. I really enjoy this set, kudos to the person who came up with it.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Slack Off
- Surf

The most under-looked sweeper in my opinion. This is a set I've designed to really surprise players. Not only does it become a tough cookie to take down, but it also becomes a deadly sweeper. This set functions almost like CroCune does, as it only has one attack, which is Surf. I switch it into things like Infernape and start to set up Calm Mind and Trick Room so I always set up first, heal first, and hit first. Slowbro is probably my MVP on this team since it can sweep entire teams that don't expect it.

Trick Room Abusers

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 120 HP/252 Atk/136 SAtk
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Ice Beam

Nidoking is by far my most favourite Pokemon to use, and I'm happy it does really well on Trick Room teams. The worst thing that can happen to Trick Room teams is to lose Trick Room time from switching in and out of things. This is where Nidoking doesn't necessarily have to do that. Nidoking is an amazing wall-breaker and can hurt every single wall out there. Blissey gets 2HKOed by Earthquake, Tentacruel and Jirachi are OHKOed by Earthquake, Skarmory and Forretress are OHKOed by Fire Blast, Celebi is OHKOed by Megahorn, and Zapdos has a hard time surviving Ice Beam. As you can see, it can knock out a ton of walls that try to stall out my Trick Room time. The EVs are desinged to always OHKO Skarmory with Stealth Rock in play, and that's all I really need. The rest is dumped into Attack and HP. I originally had Ice Punch instead of Ice Beam, but all I was using it against was on Salamence and Zapdos. Instead of getting Attack drops from Intimidate and being stalled out from Zapdos, I ran Ice Beam to KO both of them so I don't have to worry about losing Attack power. Not only does Nidoking hurt, it also absorbs Toxic Spikes which my team suffers from.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 156 HP/252 Atk/100 Def
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Return
- Fire Punch

Snorlax is beastly. Being the slowest thing out there, Snorlax can destroy teams with ease. It has many, many chances to switch in on things and can then proceed to dent the opposing Pokemon or switch-in. Pursuit takes care of things trying to escape from Snorlax, like Starmie, Latias, and the Rotom formes. Earthquake eats up Heatran and friends, Return serves as a extremely powerful STAB attack, and Fire Punch eliminates things like Bronzong and Scizor.

Conclusion

Well, that's the team. If you haven't noticed already, I don't carry anything "fast". No Starmie, no Azelf, nothing. I feel that having a "fast" Pokemon is a complete waste and a bit... stupid. In order for this type of team to be successful, you need Pokemon that can work together to always set up Trick Room on the field. This is the reason why I have 4 Trick Roomers, you need to have a decent amount of Pokemon that can set it up so once Trick Room ends, you can set it up again fast.

Trick Room teams are really fun to use and there are endless possibilities to it. Even though it's relatively hard to build one, the end product is sure to surprise you.

Minor Threats
Workable Threats
Major Threats

Threat List

Tyranitar: Jirachi's Iron Head. Nidoking's Earthquake. Bronzong's Earthquake.

Gyarados: Porygon2's Thunderbolt. Bronzong's Explosion.

Infernape: Slowbro's Surf. Hoping to have Trick Room up.

Azlef: Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Snorlax's Pursuit. Slowbro's Surf.

Rhyperior: Slowbro's Surf. Bronzong's Earthquake. Jirachi's Iron Head.

Electivire: Bronzong's Earthquake. Nidoking's Earthquake. Slowbro's Surf. Snorlax's Earthquake.

Heracross: Nidoking's Fire Blast. Slowbro's Surf. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Salamence: Snorlax's Return. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Bronzong's Explosion.

Togekiss: Snorlax's Return. Porygon2's Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Gengar: Porygon2's Thunderbolt/Ice Beam. Snorlax's Pursuit. Jirachi's Iron Head. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Raikou: Bronzong's Earthquake. Snorlax's Earthquake.

Lucario: Slowbro's Trick Room + Surf, suicide. Jirachi's Trick Room + U-turn. Bronzong's Earthquake. Can never Swords Dance safely with Trick Room up.

Starmie: Snorlax's Pursuit. Porygon2's Thunderbolt. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Weavile: Slowbro's Surf. Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Jirachi's Iron Head.

Dugtrio: All it can OHKO is Nidoking and maybe Jirachi. Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Slowbro's Surf.

Alakazam: Porygon2's Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. Jirachi's U-turn. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Porygon-z: Snorlax's Return. Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Jirachi's Iron Head.

Machamp: Slowbro immune to confusion. Jirachi's Iron Head. Bronzong's Explosion.

Jolteon: Snorlax's Earthquake. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Bronzong's Earthquake.

Aerodactyl: Jirachi's Iron Head. Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Slowbro's Surf.

Snorlax: Bronzong's Explosion. Slowbro's Calm Mind + Surf. Jirachi's Iron Head.

Zapdos: Snorlax's Return. Nidoking's Ice Beam. Bronzong's Explosion. Porygon2's Ice Beam.

Blissey: Snorlax's Return. Slowbro's Calm Mind + Surf. Nidoking's Earthquake. Bronzong's Earthquake.

Breloom: Absorb Spore. Bronzong's Gyro Ball/Explosion. Slowbro's Calm Mind + Surf. Something may be dead every time it switches in.

Ninjask: Jirachi's Trick Room + Iron Head.

Metagross: Slowbro's Surf. Bronzong's Earthquake. Porygon2's Thunderbolt.

Heatran: Snorlax's Earthquake. Slowbro's Surf.

Celebi: Jirachi's U-turn. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Bronzong's Explosion. Nidoking's Megahorn. Snorlax's Fire Punch/Pursuit.

Jirachi: Snorlax's Earthquake. Nidoking's Earthquake. Bronzong's Earthquake.

Bronzong: Slowbro's Surf. Snorlax's Fire Punch.

Rotom formes: Snorlax's Pursuit. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Suicune: Snorlax's Return. Bronzong's Explosion. Porygon2's Thunderbolt.

Mamoswine: Bronzong's Gyro Ball. Slowbro's Surf. Porygon2's Ice Beam. Jirachi's Iron Head.

Scizor: Bronzong's Trick Room set up. Slowbro's Trick Room set up. Snorlax's Fire Punch. Nidoking's Fire Blast. Porygon2's Thunderbolt.

Ludicolo: Bronzong's Explosion. Snorlax's Return. Trick Room ruins it.

I've been looking for a way to fix your Breloom weakness, but I honestly can't think of anything this late.....the team looks fine overall to me, I'll add more in the morning.

The best counter for Breloom is probably Celebi, who happens to learn Trick Room.

But I really don't know who to replace on your team as I've never used a Trick Room team before >_>

My guess would be Slowbro as they can run pretty much the same set.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Relaxed / Quiet
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
- Psychic / Grass Knot / Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Trick Room

The only problem with this is, Celebi is naturally pretty fast. And can only go down to 184 speed. And this will open your team up to Infernape a lot more.

Edit: I got it!

You can replace Snorlax with an Azumarill.

Azumarill's base speed is only 50 so he's really slow, and he gets Huge Power which is an awesome ability and a great STAB typing. Also he's pretty bulky with 100/80/80 defenses.

Azumarill @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Brave
252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge / Return
- Brick Break / Super Power
- Aqua Jet / Ice Punch

STAB Aqua Jet from a 436 attack stat should handle Infernape for you.

I would think that sloking would work better in the place of slowbro. They are virtually identical (aside from switched def and spdef), but slowking has nasty plot.

Why download on P2 and Immunity on Snorlax?

Wouldn't Trace and Thick Fat be better?

Trace would certainly have to be the better option on P2. It allows it a ton of switch-ins and provides even more bulk ( tracing intimidate).

I can kind of understand running immunity on Lax but I'd still go with thick fat.

I've been looking for a way to fix your Breloom weakness, but I honestly can't think of anything this late.....the team looks fine overall to me, I'll add more in the morning.
I've learned to deal with Breloom, but it still can cause quite some trouble.

The best counter for Breloom is probably Celebi, who happens to learn Trick Room.

But I really don't know who to replace on your team as I've never used a Trick Room team before >_>

My guess would be Slowbro as they can run pretty much the same set.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Relaxed / Quiet
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
- Psychic / Grass Knot / Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Trick Room

The only problem with this is, Celebi is naturally pretty fast. And can only go down to 184 speed. And this will open your team up to Infernape a lot more.

Edit: I got it!

You can replace Snorlax with an Azumarill.

Azumarill's base speed is only 50 so he's really slow, and he gets Huge Power which is an awesome ability and a great STAB typing. Also he's pretty bulky with 100/80/80 defenses.

Azumarill @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Brave
252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge / Return
- Brick Break / Super Power
- Aqua Jet / Ice Punch

STAB Aqua Jet from a 436 attack stat should handle Infernape for you.
I like your suggestion, but I don't see it working for me. If you haven't noticed, Snorlax is my only Special Defenseman. He takes care of so many threats, like TrickRotom which can really cripple one of my Pokemon. Snorlax has a really wide movepool as well. Azumarill isn't a bad idea, but I honestly don't see myself using it on this type of team.

I would think that sloking would work better in the place of slowbro. They are virtually identical (aside from switched def and spdef), but slowking has nasty plot.
I have tried Slowking with the exact same set but with Nasty Plot instead of Calm Mind. To be honest, it hasn't been doing well. Slowking doesn't have the bulk that Slowbro has, meaning it can't achieve more then one Nasty Plot and a Trick Room. Slowbro on the other hand can do these exceptionally well. It's also really tough to take down on the Defensive side, unlike Slowking which boasts more Special Defense then Defense, which I don't need.

Why download on P2 and Immunity on Snorlax?

Wouldn't Trace and Thick Fat be better?

Trace would certainly have to be the better option on P2. It allows it a ton of switch-ins and provides even more bulk ( tracing intimidate).

I can kind of understand running immunity on Lax but I'd still go with thick fat.
Download is a more important ability on Porygon2. As you can see, it's meant to sweep. Once I've achieved a Special Attack boost, Porygon2 is capable of OHKOing many threats with ease and makes it a threatening sweeper under Trick Room. The only reason I'll be using Trace is to switch into Jolteon, Vaporeon, Salamence, Gyarados, and Heatran. Jolteon and Vaporeon are lunch for Snorlax, Porygon2 can already switch into Salamence and Gyarados with little fear of being OHKOed, and Slowbro and Snorlax take on Heatran like a beast.

The reason why I run Immunity instead of Thick Fat is because I can't afford to make my strongest sweeper become crippled and Toxic stalled by things like Blissey. With Immunity, I can easily switch Snorlax on things like SubRoost Zapdos/Moltres, SubToxic Heatran, Toxic Vaporeon, etc. There's no need to use Thick Fat as I already have Pokemon that cover Ice- and Fire-type moves.

I appreciate the suggestions guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)