new 2009 albums

Against Me! - The Original Cowboy
fuck yes i am really looking forward to this

also handsome furs' new album, face control, is pretty good. it's like new order only uh, not from the 80s. not as good as their first album unfortunately, but all we want, baby, is everything is pretty catchy.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Seriously. And the best part is not one of their many incarnations has put out a bad album.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i know the sister of the drummer of sunset rubdown, she is pretty hot!

lol I met her at a party and she was just like yeah my brother drums for some band that no one has ever heard of... I was like try me and haha bam Sunset Rubdown. She was so shocked I knew them.

to remain topical, along with MPP and Sunset Rubdown, I have to give big props to Silversun Pickups for their album Swoon, although many people won't agree with me for god knows why!

and I cannot wait for Against Me! The title suggests that maybe they will go back to their old ways...or is that even possible at this point?

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
its not a new AM! album, its the original demos for the eternal cowboy.

ill edit in whats been good this year later, stay tuned!

Alexisonfire's Old Crows / Young Cardinals is great, as is The Dear Hunter's Act III: Life and Death.

If you like that post-hardcore sound that AOF brings, get OC/YC. If you like that progressive-indie sound that The Dear Hunter brings, get Act III. If you like good music in general, get both!

Peter Doherty - Grace/Wastelands

Fantastic album, I was at the gig recently where he got arrested straight after, great night, he played all greatest hits!

Cant wait for the new John Mayer album, and possibly The La's reuniting? I hope so, altho Lee Mathers needs to admit it and get singing lessons.

So far Metric's (with Emily Haines) newish album Fantasies and Moby's new Wait for Me are brilliant!! Obviously there are some standout tracks and some not-so-good ones, but once I listen to both for a while everything will even out. Still, favourite songs in Fantasies are Help I'm Alive (my favourite), Gimme Sympathy, Sick Muse, and Collect Call. In Wait for Me my favourites are Pale Horses, Shot In the Back of the Head, and Walk With Me. Anyway, I highly recommend both!! Plus Metric is Canadian so +

A bit late but thought I'd comment on a disappointment for me...Octahedron, the Mars Volta's new album. Their most mellowed out album yet possibly, which is not a bad thing, but came off to me as very bland and lacking a necessary soulfulness for the material, especially from the lead singer, whose vocals got progressively more annoying since their first EP. Despite mostly softer melodies, the drumming is still overblown like in Bedlam in Goliath and is even more misplaced in this album. The louder songs such as Cotopaxi are not too bad, which I guess goes to show that MV isn't very good at being tender (maybe if Omar was less concerned with putting out albums than creating music, which is evidenced by his four 2009 albums, they could have made something more worthwhile) If you didn't like these guys after De-Loused, however, you may find this album acceptable, as it is probably their most accessable yet.

So far Metric's (with Emily Haines) newish album Fantasies and Moby's new Wait for Me are brilliant!! Obviously there are some standout tracks and some not-so-good ones, but once I listen to both for a while everything will even out. Still, favourite songs in Fantasies are Help I'm Alive (my favourite), Gimme Sympathy, Sick Muse, and Collect Call. In Wait for Me my favourites are Pale Horses, Shot In the Back of the Head, and Walk With Me. Anyway, I highly recommend both!! Plus Metric is Canadian so +
I was really disappointed with the version of Twilight Galaxy on the album, the demo sounded much better! Why did they get rid of all the 'oooh oooh ooh'?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
A bit late but thought I'd comment on a disappointment for me...Octahedron, the Mars Volta's new album. Their most mellowed out album yet possibly, which is not a bad thing, but came off to me as very bland and lacking a necessary soulfulness for the material, especially from the lead singer, whose vocals got progressively more annoying since their first EP. Despite mostly softer melodies, the drumming is still overblown like in Bedlam in Goliath and is even more misplaced in this album. The louder songs such as Cotopaxi are not too bad, which I guess goes to show that MV isn't very good at being tender (maybe if Omar was less concerned with putting out albums than creating music, which is evidenced by his four 2009 albums, they could have made something more worthwhile) If you didn't like these guys after De-Loused, however, you may find this album acceptable, as it is probably their most accessable yet.
I think De-Loused is a goddamned masterpiece and Frances the Mute was the beginning of the downward momentum for them. Are you saying I'd like this one?

Like De-Loused, it's more melody driven and is less "proggy", but stylistically they aren't too much alike either. So if you were just mad that their music spiraled out of control through increased self indulgence, Octa's subdued nature may please; I agree with your sentiments, but I find they have little to say underneath all the chaoticness that somewhat made up for it in their previous albums.

my 2009 pickings have been slim so far but thoroughly enjoying:
Phoenix, my god one band I would kill to see live!
Tortoise, I just like them I guess
trying to think if Car Alarm by the sea and cake was this year and if I already mentioned i love it.

otherwise would really like to obtain that grizzly bear album and something by the antlers.

ohwell

Just picked up the new Andrew Jackson Jihad album, Can't Maintain, and so far it's looking to be my favorite new album this year. It's just such an improvement on their earlier stuff, I'm really impressed.

Also new albums I like so far this year:
Octahedron
Farm
Scrambles
and Mandala (Rx Bandits)

Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Octahedron
Crack the Skye
The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion
... and more to come.

Great stuff for any fans of the progressive side of rock (and metal).

Theres been a bunvh of albums Ive already gotten this year, but one Im still waiting for is Lupe Fiascos new album, Lazers.

I just picked up Poison The Well's new album and it's pretty awesome, never listened to them before this though, i had just heard lots of positive things on this album...

I haven't really listened to Loma Prieta's new work but after Last City I'm assuming it's going to be amazing

maudlin of the Well had just released one of the most satisfying records of the year for me. I can't stop listening to it.

Mastodon's Crack The Skye was a bit of a dissapointment for me, sure it was filled with amazing music it was just a little too much br00tal technicality.

MSTRKRFT's Fist Of God Is such an improvement from The Looks, I love this one.

Haven't real gave Taking Back Sunday's new album but i've heard it was alright.

Bad Luck from Trophy Scars is awesome, just got that one a month back.

Metric always releases pretty quality records but Fantasies was ear candy all the way thru

dredg's new album is no El Cielo but it's absolutely beatiful

Thursday's new effort is alright, I had my hopes a little higher for it though but I just got a little excited after hearing the split with Envy

The Mars Volta just released Octahedron which was alright, it was something different for sure, but I can't complain.

I was extremely disappointed with Alexisonfire's album but i wasn't that surprised...Just a little mad after spending so much time trying to find the stupid album =/

Cynic's Traced In Air is absolutely amazing and if you haven't checked it out yet you defiantly should.

New Isis,Dinosaur Jr., Propagandhi, Cursive, Appleseed Cast, Coalesce, and Animal Collective are all really good as well

Definatly looking forward to Thrice, Owen, Muse, HORSE The Band, Glassjaw, The Fall Of Troy, and Between The Buried & Me's upcoming work this year.

Why? - Eskimo Snow leaked

so far i have listened to it once and it seems pretty boring; This Blackest Purse has been the only standout track and that leaked previously

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)