Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I was playing Platinum yesterday and I was in the Battle Hall. I was using my Azelf which happened to know Explosion, so I thought that I could easily use Explosion on everything and win. When I tried this, I lost instead of advancing to the next round.

The weird thing is, on Shoddy, if you have one Pokemon left against your opponent's last Pokemon and you use Explosion, you win.

My question is, which one is it supposed to be? Are you supposed to win, or lose?
The Battle Frontier/Tower for in-game makes you lose if there is a tie.

Question about EV training here.

So, at level 100, 4 EV's = 1 stat point.

What about level 50? Would it be 8 EV's = 1 stat point? This is relevant because of the level cap at 50 in the recent tournaments. I think. I assume this also applies to the Battle Frontier in Sinnoh, where Pokes above 50 are brought down to level 50.

I don't think this has been covered in the guides that I've looked through. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!
That is true, but what EVs you should give is based on the IV of the stat:

IV is EVEN: 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80, 88, 96, 104, 112, 120, 128, 136, 144, 152, 160, 168, 176, 184, 192, 200, 208, 216, 224, 232, 240, 248 all give 1 point higher in a stat.

IV is ODD: 4, 12, 20, 28, 36, 44, 52, 60, 68, 76, 84, 92, 100, 108, 116, 124, 132, 140, 148, 156, 164, 172, 180, 188, 196, 204, 212, 220, 228, 236, 244, 252 all give 1 point higher in a stat.

Analysis suggest 252 Spe for physical Mamoswine, but I consider giving it HP instead, would that be a huge loss? Ain't boosting his high HP a good idea, specially with Ice Shard aroung?

Analysis suggest 252 Spe for physical Mamoswine, but I consider giving it HP instead, would that be a huge loss? Ain't boosting his high HP a good idea, specially with Ice Shard aroung?
The only reason I could really think of was outspeeding Heatran, but he's commonly scarfed anyway.

You would definitely lose a ton of Speed, which Mamoswine needs to outspeed certain threats. These include: Heatran (SubTran), Jirachi (Wish Passer), Metagross, and Breloom. These are just a few of the biggest threats which Mamoswine can take down quite easily with Earthquake or Ice Fang. Even if you give Mamoswine 252 HP, it doesn't have a reliable recovery move outside of Rest, and Mamoswine will still be hurt by any Water-, Fire-, or Fighting-type attack coming from things like Starmie, Heatran, and Lucario.

I suggest you run max Speed, it will help Mamoswine a lot.

You would definitely lose a ton of Speed, which Mamoswine needs to outspeed certain threats. These include: Heatran (SubTran), Jirachi (Wish Passer), Metagross, and Breloom. These are just a few of the biggest threats which Mamoswine can take down quite easily with Earthquake or Ice Fang. Even if you give Mamoswine 252 HP, it doesn't have a reliable recovery move outside of Rest, and Mamoswine will still be hurt by any Water-, Fire-, or Fighting-type attack coming from things like Starmie, Heatran, and Lucario.

I suggest you run max Speed, it will help Mamoswine a lot.
However, Max Speed Lucario outspeed Mamo already, and its Base 196 Spd outspeed the majority of Metagross and Jirachi.

I ssee your point, but aren't the benefits from HP worthy?

However, Max Speed Lucario outspeed Mamo already, and its Base 196 Spd outspeed the majority of Metagross and Jirachi.

I ssee your point, but aren't the benefits from HP worthy?
It's base 196 Speed doesn't outspeed any Jirachi (unless -Spd Nature and 0 IV).

What benefits does max HP have compared to Max Speed? Maybe a bit of an easier time switching in on weaker attacks, but that's it.

Hi guys, do items that help certain pokemon evolve (Ex: energizer for electrivire) disappear after the Pokemon evolve?
Thanks.

Seeing the above about Mamoswine, that makes me wonder why Rhyperior needs to run 252 speed on his choice band set. I know he has a massive base defense/hp stat already, but what exactly is he outspeeding?

Jukain

After attaching Choice Scarf to Smeargle, it would have a speed of 409.5 (273*1.5). Is that rounded up to 410 or rounded down to 409?

Seeing the above about Mamoswine, that makes me wonder why Rhyperior needs to run 252 speed on his choice band set. I know he has a massive base defense/hp stat already, but what exactly is he outspeeding?
Set Analysis said:
252 Spe EVs allow Rhyperior to reach a stat of 177, just outspeeding Skarmory that sit at a stat of 176. Rhyperior is now able to 2HKO Skarmory with a Stone Edge before it has the chance to shed its Flying-type with Roost.
If you want to invest more in defenses though, go ahead.

Thinking of using Gallade for a Battle Hall streak.

Focus Sash being the item, always, but with the standard 252 Att/Spd spread with Choice Band moveset; Close Combat/Psycho Cut/Ice Punch/Shadow Sneak. Swapping out Psycho Cut during the Psychic phase for X-Scissor/Night Slash, to hit the bulky Psychics harder than Shadow Sneak will allow.

Any other advice on movesets, or which types to take first?

Assuming I caught Shaymin on DP and Transfered it to Platinum, what should I do in order to change it to Sky Form?

Do I need that item Gracidea Flower? If yes, how do I get it?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Assuming I caught Shaymin on DP and Transfered it to Platinum, what should I do in order to change it to Sky Form?

Do I need that item Gracidea Flower? If yes, how do I get it?
Yes you need the Gracidea flower. The only way to activate it is to trade an event shaymin to platinum.

If a player with diamond version plays with a player with platinum version, will hypnosis have an accuracy of 60 or 70%? (Sorry if it has been asked before).
Thanks.

Another question: Is unaware, well, unaware of negative changes on your opponent, such as Intimidate, aswell as to positive changes on your team mates?

What exactly has to be done to increase the level of the Rival's Pokémon up to their maximum level? I've heard some people say I need to beat the Elite 4 (2nd round after getting the National Dex) several times... if so, how many? I've also heard that I need to capture Heatran. What is it?

Also, is Dragon Pulse generally more popular than Hidden Power on Heatran these days, with Latias and all? I'm about to SR for one and need to know if I should restrict my IVs for Hidden Power or just go for straight flawless.

Thanks!

Is Rock really the best attacking type?
Stone Edge or X-Scissor for CB Gallade?
Stone Edge. It hits fliers, most dragons, and Gyarados who would otherwise wall gallade pretty well.

X-Scissor would hit a small handful of grass types and psychic/dark, psychics are too fragile on the whole to wall most anything Gallade would use and dark is already weak to STAB Fighting attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)