My First Team

Hi, im fair new to the Pokemon scene but i managed to make a team. This team was made because they are favourites and not because they are overly powerful for the metagame. Although they are favourites i have tryed to make them as good as i can to keep up with the meta, so here i go.

My Team.

1. My Lead.

Umbreon - Sassy @ Leftovers
Sychronize

HP 252 / SPD 252 / DEF 4

1. Payback
2. Toxic
3. Double Team
4. Moon Light

I chose this in my team because its my favourite Pokemon. After building this team i experimented abit deciding which of my team should be my lead. After a while i decided Umbreon is the best. I use it as Wall to set up Toxic on any opponent i can. I use Toxic first then try my best to set up as many Double Teams as posible. Umbreon can usually take 2 to 3 hits before Double Team starts to make my opponent miss but by that time i usually use Moonlight to get back up to full HP. Most of the time Umbreon on its own takes care of my opponents first 2 to 4 Pokemon. The one that Knocks out my Umbreon has Usually been hit by my Toxic. Payback is there so that after they are poisoned and after i have Double Teamed as many times as i can, Payback can deal some extra damage. I was thinking of breeding in a Curse but i wanted Double Team, Toxic and Moonlight on here so to put on Curse with no Attack moves would of been pointless. So i just put Payback on, on its own to fill in a gap.

Now the rest of my is no particular order.

Jolteon - Modest @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb

4 HP / 252 SPA / SPE 252

1. Thunder Bolt
2. Thunder
3. Rain Dance
4. Shadow Ball

My Jolteon has 348 Specail Attack. The Maximum is 350 so it has amazing EV's and IV's in Specail Attack. Thunder Bolt is a must for such a high SPA Electric Pokemon. Shadow Ball is there for Psychic Types and Ghost. Rain Dance is to set up for Thunder. The reason i have both Thunder Bolt and Thunder is because i dont like the accuracy of Thunder so i use Thunder Bolt most of the time. But when i need to set up for a big hit or to set up my Floatzel with Rain Dance i'll use Thunder to hit hard. Also with Jolteon's high Speed i will nearly always hit hard and fast.

Infernape - Adamant @ Choice Band
Blaze

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Flare Blitz
2. Close Combat
3. Earthquake
4. U-Turn

I dont like Infernape as a MixApe, i think it has such a good Physical Move Set to waste Ev's in Special Attack. So ive maxed out on EV's in Attack so i can give the best Physical Moves it can learn. Equiped with Choice Band, Infernape hits hard everytime. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are a must for Infernape. Both 120 base power Physical STAB moves.

Floatzel - Adamant @ Life Orb
Swift Swim

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Ice Punch
2. Waterfall
3. Brick Break
4. Aqua Jet ( I think this needs replacing)

This is the reason i gave my Jolteon Rain Dance. Swift Swim doubles its speed in rain. Ive always liked fast pokemon that can hit hard and after building my team i didnt have a Water Pokemon so i chose the fastest Water Pokemon in the game (Tied with Starmie). Ice Punch to take down Dragons and Waterfall for a good Physical STAB move. Brick Break and Aqua Jet are move fillers so im struggling to think of good moves for them slots.

Scyther - Adamant @ Muscle Band
Technician

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Aerial Ace
2. Swords Dance
3. X - Scissor
4. Quick Attack

I love this guy. Technician, STAB, Swords Dance and Muscle Band make Aerial Ace a really really powerful move. Just one Swords Dance and this guy sweeps anything that isnt resistant to Flying. X - Scissors there for a good STAB move and Quick Attack is here for a fast Technician move.
I chose Scyther over Scizor because of Scythers speed. Ive always preferred the faster Pokemon. Plus ive never really been a fan of Steel types but Scizor is on my list of Pokemon to train since my brother Micks is awesome.

Alakazam - Modest @ Petaya Berrie
Synchronize

4 DEF / 252 SPA / 252 SPE

1. Substitute
2. Calm Mind
3. Psychic
4. Shadow Ball

After thinking of what team i wanted i knew i needed a Psychic type and what better Psychic type than Alakazam. I know Mewtwo and Mew is better but im staying alway from Ubers. Its incredible High Speed and High Special Attack made me fall in love with this guy.
Substitute is there for the Petaya Berry to activate. Calm Mind is there to set up if the Sub doesnt get killed in one. Psychic is the Best STAB move for this guy and Shadow Ball is there to kill threats.

There is my team. Just note that i didnt make this to counter anything in the meta. I just chose my favouites and made them as best as i could.

Hi, im fair new to the Pokemon scene but i managed to make a team. This team was made because they are favourites and not because they are overly powerful for the metagame. Although they are favourites i have tryed to make them as good as i can to keep up with the meta, so here i go.

My Team.

1. My Lead.

Umbreon - Sassy @ Leftovers
Sychronize

HP 252 / SPD 252 / DEF 4

1. Payback
2. Toxic
3. Double Team
4. Moon Light

I chose this in my team because its my favourite Pokemon. After building this team i experimented abit deciding which of my team should be my lead. After a while i decided Umbreon is the best. I use it as Wall to set up Toxic on any opponent i can. I use Toxic first then try my best to set up as many Double Teams as posible. Umbreon can usually take 2 to 3 hits before Double Team starts to make my opponent miss but by that time i usually use Moonlight to get back up to full HP. Most of the time Umbreon on its own takes care of my opponents first 2 to 4 Pokemon. The one that Knocks out my Umbreon has Usually been hit by my Toxic. Payback is there so that after they are poisoned and after i have Double Teamed as many times as i can, Payback can deal some extra damage. I was thinking of breeding in a Curse but i wanted Double Team, Toxic and Moonlight on here so to put on Curse with no Attack moves would of been pointless. So i just put Payback on, on its own to fill in a gap.

Double Team is banned. Umbreon doesnt make a very good lead because most other leads can either OHKO or 2HKO and the rest can resist toxic. You might want to swap this with Yanmega lead since you seem to like status moves or an Azelf or Aerodactyl since most of your team requires SR to get the OHKO. Otherwise this is not a good lead at all.

Now the rest of my is no particular order.

Jolteon - Modest @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb

4 HP / 252 SPA / SPE 252

1. Thunder Bolt
2. Thunder
3. Rain Dance
4. Shadow Ball

My Jolteon has 348 Specail Attack. The Maximum is 350 so it has amazing EV's and IV's in Specail Attack. Thunder Bolt is a must for such a high SPA Electric Pokemon. Shadow Ball is there for Psychic Types and Ghost. Rain Dance is to set up for Thunder. The reason i have both Thunder Bolt and Thunder is because i dont like the accuracy of Thunder so i use Thunder Bolt most of the time. But when i need to set up for a big hit or to set up my Floatzel with Rain Dance i'll use Thunder to hit hard. Also with Jolteon's high Speed i will nearly always hit hard and fast.

Im just gonna go ahead and throw this out right now. Your choice in moveset is god awful along with nature.

Use this for Jolteon

Jolteon@ Choice Specs
Timid
EVs 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass
Shadow Ball
Baton Pass

Infernape - Adamant @ Choice Band
Blaze

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Flare Blitz
2. Close Combat
3. Earthquake
4. U-Turn

I dont like Infernape as a MixApe, i think it has such a good Physical Move Set to waste Ev's in Special Attack. So ive maxed out on EV's in Attack so i can give the best Physical Moves it can learn. Equiped with Choice Band, Infernape hits hard everytime. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are a must for Infernape. Both 120 base power Physical STAB moves.

This is once again a very bad moveset/nature. Though MixApe is the best Ape you can get, since you want a physical based one ill give you a set.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive
EVs 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe

Close Combat
U-Turn
Stone Edge
Overheat

Floatzel - Adamant @ Life Orb
Swift Swim

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Ice Punch
2. Waterfall
3. Brick Break
4. Aqua Jet ( I think this needs replacing)

This is the reason i gave my Jolteon Rain Dance. Swift Swim doubles its speed in rain. Ive always liked fast pokemon that can hit hard and after building my team i didnt have a Water Pokemon so i chose the fastest Water Pokemon in the game (Tied with Starmie). Ice Punch to take down Dragons and Waterfall for a good Physical STAB move. Brick Break and Aqua Jet are move fillers so im struggling to think of good moves for them slots.

(Your Floatzel's Moveset is poor choice. Aqua Jet was fine. Brick Break had to go.) Since your Jolteon wont have Rain Dance and you want a water type go with Kingdra.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Adamant
Nature: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Waterfall
Hydro Pump

Scyther - Adamant @ Muscle Band
Technician

4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

1. Aerial Ace
2. Swords Dance
3. X - Scissor
4. Quick Attack

I love this guy. Technician, STAB, Swords Dance and Muscle Band make Aerial Ace a really really powerful move. Just one Swords Dance and this guy sweeps anything that isnt resistant to Flying. X - Scissors there for a good STAB move and Quick Attack is here for a fast Technician move.
I chose Scyther over Scizor because of Scythers speed. Ive always preferred the faster Pokemon. Plus ive never really been a fan of Steel types but Scizor is on my list of Pokemon to train since my brother Micks is awesome.

You can keep this set if you want but switch quick attack with Brick Break and give it a Life Orb and change its nature to Jolly.

Though it might be better if you switch this to a StallBreaker or Revenge Killer since your team already has a Physical Sweeper and Scyther isnt the best in OU or even close.

You could go with

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly
EVs 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

Ice Shard
Pursuit
Brick Break
Ice Punch

this is to handle your Dragon weakness and trap any Psychic types you could be against.

Or you could go with

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Jolly
Nature: Sand Veil
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

Earthquake
Roost
U-turn
Taunt

Alakazam - Modest @ Petaya Berrie
Synchronize

4 DEF / 252 SPA / 252 SPE

1. Substitute
2. Calm Mind
3. Psychic
4. Shadow Ball

After thinking of what team i wanted i knew i needed a Psychic type and what better Psychic type than Alakazam. I know Mewtwo and Mew is better but im staying alway from Ubers. Its incredible High Speed and High Special Attack made me fall in love with this guy.
Substitute is there for the Petaya Berry to activate. Calm Mind is there to set up if the Sub doesnt get killed in one. Psychic is the Best STAB move for this guy and Shadow Ball is there to kill threats.

There is my team. Just note that i didnt make this to counter anything in the meta. I just chose my favouites and made them as best as i could.

Throw Alakazan out since you need a Rapid Spinner if you make the changes i advised

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid
Natural Cure
EVs136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe

Rapid Spin
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

or

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Relaxed
EVs 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def

Toxic Spikes
Gyro Ball
Rapid Spin
Explosion
Overall i think this is a very poor, frail team. You have a terrible lead and some of the worst moveset/nature combo and some of your pokes arent good for OU since there are much better ones that can do the job much better.

1/10

OK, given your introductory paragraphs and a few other things, I'll assume two things...

1) This is a Wifi team, not a Shoddy team
2) You'd prefer to have as few Pokemon on this team replaced as possible.

So, given that, let's suggest improvements.

The first I can see is that Umbreon is a really, really bad lead. I'd suggest moving Infernape to the lead slot and using Smogon's lead set. The +speed nature here would be preferrable, but Adamant might be able to work anyways.

Jolteon is a perfectly good Pokemon, but the SpecsJolt set DRADE mentioned is significantly better. If you can't get the right Hidden Power, Shadow Ball is useable in that slot. The Timid nature here is strongly preferred over Modest.

Umbreon would do better with a trap-passing set. See the Smogon Dex for specifics on it.

Floatzel makes a poor physical sweeper, but it can pass Bulk Ups quite nicely. Waterfall/Taunt/Bulk Up/Baton Pass should let you get the pass off.

Scyther is just too frail for this, and you need something to stop a DD Mence sweep. For this, I recommend a Swords Dance Scizor. If you pull off the Trap pass, you can give Scizor a free set up, giving you a fairly clean sweep. Additionally, Scizor certainly won't mind receiving Bulk Ups from Floatzel.

In the last slot, Alakazam isn't really doing all that much for the team. I think a bulky Gyarados would round out the last slot well. It also makes a good receiver of the passes, and has a rather nice set of resistances. The Electric attacks it draws can help get Jolteon in, too.

Unfortunately, favorites don't often work well at all.

Starting out. Umbreon:
As a lead, Umbreon isn't very good. Firstly, Double Team can't be used because of Evasion Clause. The rest is fine, but don't expect Umbreon to actually do much. Anyway, Umbreon has a lot of problems as a lead. To start, Umbreon has crap speed. While that sometimes isn't a problem, Umbreon also has crap attacking stats. As a wall, Umbreon is quite usable, but for everything else, I wouldn't reccomend it. See, Umbreon can't really counter any common leads. Metagross is unaffected by Toxic, sets up Stealth Rocks easily, and will pound you with Earthquake / Meteor Mash until you die. Azelf will set up rocks, eat Payback with Focus Sash, and explode in your face. See what I mean? I don't see how Umbreon takes out 2-4 pokemon, because without Double Team, that Umbreon can't do anything. Maybe a Curse Umbreon could, but as a lead, thats not a good idea.

Jolteon: I think for an all out attacker, a Specs Jolteon might be a better idea in general. Specs would allow you to go for T-bolt, HP Grass, Shadow Ball, and Signal Beam / Baton Pass. If you'd rather keep him with LO, take out Rain Dance and Thunder. Replace with Substitute / Baton Pass, or Wish / HP Grass/Ice. Adds much more power. On the other hand, since this is ingame, thats not going to be that easy.

Infernape: Jolly is an absolute must for CB Infernape. His speed isn't good enough to run Adamant.

Anyway, with Choice Band, Infernape is very difficult to use, but if you can pull it off, good for you. Instead of Earthquake, I would run Stone Edge, who can take out all pokemon that resist Flare Blitz or Close Combat. And really, what would Earthquake do for you? Steels are covered by Flare Blitz, Rock is covered by Close Combat. The rest is neutral by both, and that leaves you without an answer to Flyers. (Gyarados, Togekiss)

Floatzel: Rain Dance on Jolteon is truly a waste, so you should replace Floatzel. You also need another good special attacker. Suicune is an excellent idea to replace him, giving you a good physical wall, something to eat fire moves, and STAB Surf. The set that I've always loved was this set:

Suicune @Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Gives you a powerful Ice move to pick off Dragons, good physical defense, good defenses overall, Calm Mind to really boost your power (and often, you can use it a lot), and a water type that (as you said) your team needs. And it gives you the special attacker I mentioned.

If you prefer more of an offensive set, Switch Roar for HP Electric.

Scyther: Theres a reason Scizor exists. Its to replace Scyther. Still, Scyther can be used in the right situations. And used well. However, it is difficult. The first thing of note is that Adamant, though very useful for power, doesn't give you nearly enough speed to compete in OU. Switch to Jolly. However, if you use a different set, which I think makes better use of Scyther, then you'll want to use Hasty. Secondly, remember that Scyther has five weaknesses, four more then Scizor, and a 4x weakness in Rock (which that Scyther can do nothing against). As such, I think a set that makes better use of your frailty would be better.

Scyther @Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Nature: Hasty
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Reversal
- Aerial Ace
- Counter / Night Slash

Yeah, Counter / Reversal Focus Sash set. It works really nicely, and there are a lot of ideal conditions out there for this guy. Especially in OU. There are plenty of wall type pokemon, that honestly can't do anything to him. Cresselia, Suicune, and Dusknoir come to mind. But there are more. Anyway, switch into one of those, SD once and the opponent will probably switch to a proper counter. If that counter is an Infernape, expect a Mixape, which will outrun you, and hit him with Aerial ace. As you mentioned, STAB + Tech makes Aerial Ace a 135 BP move, so you might actually kill him as he expects a switch and NPs up. If he attacks, eat it with Focus Sash. The rest, deal with Reversal properly until Scyther dies. Scyther has 110 Atk, which isn't ideal, but it is usable.

In any case, Scyther isn't ideal.

Finally, Alakazam:
I'm going to preface this by saying Alakazam has some of the worst defenses in the game. Few pokemon have worse (Deoxys comes to mind). As such, a Subpetaya Calm Mind set simply isn't realistic. Lategame, theres no point; Specs Alakazam can OHKO pretty much every pokemon in OU that isn't defensive and doesn't resist Psychic, and has the speed to flaunt it. Timid Trick Specs puts Alakazam's SpA up to 553, which is absolutely insane. Timid gives him 372 speed, which outruns... almost everything. Set him up with Psychic, Focus Blast, Signal Beam, and Trick / HP Fire and you've got an insane powerhouse as a lategame sweeper. Remember though, take out Scizor, and if Scizor is still there, ALWAYS use HP Fire no matter what pokemon is in, because Scizor will survive a Specs Psychic, and Scizor will OHKO with Bullet Punch.

---

In summary, Umbreon needs replacement, or move Infernape up to his slot (as suggested by petrie911) and give him the leadape set. Your entire team is weak to DDmence (and Mixmence for that matter), unless you keep Floatzel (which I wouldn't specifically reccomend).

Good luck!

Ummm....

As new as I am to the competitive world of Pokemon, I can immediately see that this is a poorly constructed team. There are frequent misspellings throughout your post, and your explanations around each Pokemon are rather short and leave out crucial details.

Right from the beginning, I found out that something was wrong; You failed to tell us what your team was trying to accomplish. However, by reading your post, I gathered that you wanted to hit fast, and hard. In order to do that, your team needs to be able to cooperate with itself; Not having wish on Umbreon is usually a bad idea. Umbreon is also just a bad lead in general. Double team is also banned. Perhaps you should research a bit more? Infernape might be a better lead.

Having both thunder and thunderbolt on jolteon is bad: who needs two electric moves? As quick as Jolteon is, It does not need to bear the burden of Rain dance, even for the sake of thunder. Once it gets off Rain dance, Your opponent will switch into a counter, or kill you right then and there.(earthquake is a very common move) It's a frail Pokemon. Having Rain dance at all on a standard 6v6 team is not a very good idea. Tyranitar and Hippowdon will come in and eat you alive.(sandstream) Not to mention, you are going to want a timid nature on Jolteon. Fast as he is, he needs all the speed he can get.

Infernape... That one probably won't last very long. He should be your lead. To choice lock him onto an earthquake could be catastrophic for him. Flare blitz, whilst and ok move, chews infernape up pretty badly, especially because you are hitting so hard. As much as you may dislike it, your infernape should be hitting from both sides of the attacking spectrum. It also needs a good fire move, one that does not tear it apart in the process. Overheat/flamethrower/fire blast are good ideas. Perhaps you should stick HP ice in there somewhere, that is if you can handle breeding for it. U-turn is a pretty good idea, And so is close-combat.

Floatzel, whilst fast, and Base-speed tied with Starmie, does not want brick break all that badly. Perhaps bulk-up might work? Ice punch is a decent move. Good dragons-coverage is a must. If you take a few EV's out of attack and pour them into HP, You may be able to survive a little for bulk-upping. Keep waterfall. You need a reliable STAB. You can keep aqua jet if you want.

Sycther... He is not suitable for the metagame you want to play in. Ever common ice and rock moves will eat you. Perhaps you should go for a Scizor after all. If your cartridge is platinum, i think the technician/bullet punch combo works nicely. You can put a life orb on him if you want. Swords dance is nice. maybe X-scissor and brick break should go here?

Ahh... Alakazam... a rather frail Pokemon, easliy outdone by the liks of Azelf, at least in terms of special sweeping. Sub-punching became extinct
in 4th gen, making Alakazam less useful. I would have gone with the likes of Azelf here. Alternately, your team is very weak to entry hazards, such as SR and spikes, so something to sponge or spin them away, yet still keep that psychic quality might be Starmie. If you prefer Tentacruel to absorb toxic spikes, and be able to rapid spin other things away, then go with him. Since your team is based upon preferences, and I have never rated a team before, the suggestions I have made to you have been all but terrible. I don't know if I made your team better or worse, but my rating for you is 2/10, but only because you wanted to collaborate floatzel with Jolteon with rain-dance, even if it was a subpar strategy.

2/10...

OK, first of all umbreon might not be a good lead and Double Team is Banned.With your moveset gyara with taunt can ruin your umbreon and get a free DD and wreck havoc in your team...and your team lacks defense.

I recommend Infernape as lead
252/SpA 252/Spe
Infernape@Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Encore

Infernape will be an awesome lead Fake out on the 1st turn then set up stealth rock, If your opponent sets up his/her stealth rock use Encore.No need to worry about Infernape to be KO'd easily(Focus Sash)

The rest, I say your team needs bulk...If I were you I'd replace Jolteon with Vaporeon(to WishPass) or you can try suicune(your team needs bulk)...since your replacing Jolteon(If you make the changes I recommended) why not throw out Floatzel too...and Replace it with a Bulky Wall Breaker...Lickilicky can be an awesome wall breakerwith high HP and awesome defenses I say lickilicky can cause some S**T.

116/HP 252/ATk 140/SpA
Lickilicky@Life Orb
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-Return
-Earthquake

Okay, fire blast OHKO's Skarmory and Ice Beam OHKO's some dragon types, Return is your STAB move...and Earhquake is needed to kill some threats like Heatran, Tyranitar and someother threats.You can use Power whip to KO swampert(if your so annoyed^^) but I recommend EQ.

And your Alakazam, I would replace him with MISMAGIUS.Mismagius is an awesome pokemon it can sweep your opponent's team If played well.

Mismagius@Leftovers
-Substitute
-ThunderBolt/Hidden Power[Fighting]
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

Sub up then Calm Mind then cause havoc.It's your choice if your want HP[Fighting] or Tbolt...HP[Fighting] and Shadow ball Resist's nothing, So it's your choice dude.

Just some recommendations.
Hope I helped. Good Luck in your Battles Dude

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Heh, Tyanitar or Scizor would be my favorite Pokemon.

And as for the team, if this is in fact for Wi-fi, I'm not sure what's common or not. I know though that certain Pokemon are inaccesible, or hard to get, so I will look through it.

Since your Jolteon is Modest, Gyarados rips through your team after a DD, although it only sets up on Alakazam with Gyarados's good special defense, and Infernape to an extent. Stone Edge still hurts Gyarados though.

I agree with Drade about Weavile. Weavile is a solid, albeit frail revenge killer that can fix your dragon weak. Dragons set up on Scizor left and right, especially Salamence thanks to Intimidate.

Another thing I see is that DDtar set's up on Alakazam like a bitch, other than that it shouldn't set up anywhere, unless it has a lum berry against Umbreon. You should change Substitute to Focus Blast on Alakazam. It'll keep TTar away.

That's all I can see with your team, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)