Suggest Guides/Analyses thread

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This line:
A good way to see if something is in demand is by looking at the Suggest Guides or Analyses thread (which isn't there yet, but will be made).
Has been sitting in the C&C Forum Guidelines for over two years, maybe it was agreed that this thread was not wanted in some other thread and not updated but as the part before points out:
After all, you have to know whether your article is actually needed. If you post an article without approval, chances are someone puts a lock on your thread and says "sorry you wasted your time, but we don't need this!".
Having a thread where people can suggest ideas for guides and related things, and offer to work on them, would reduce the chance of doubling up on work, and possibly help people find new ideas for what to work on next. It would also allow community input on whether a guide is wanted, rather than just PMing a single mod to ask (it would still be the mod's choice as to whether the guide is wanted, but this may be influenced by public mood).

Whether or not this is not implemented, its probably best to update the Forum Guidelines to reflect either that that thread will not be made, or that it exists. While updating maybe remove the broken link in this section:
You can do a little bit of reading here. This article I wrote is about how you can make a Pokemon, set or move look good or bad while still stating the same facts, but bending them a bit, ignoring some or only telling what you want to. Try to avoid examples like the Dugtrio one stated there.

I actually think that implementing the thread would be better than completely dismissing it. This will allow users to at least submit ideas for articles they think could be added to the site, even if they can't write it themselves. I'd gladly like to work on articles thought of by other users, since I'm not that good at coming up with ideas myself.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll remove the broken link since there is no reason to keep it heh.

I suppose I don't see anything wrong with having a suggested guide thread. If someone can think of 2-3 ideas just to get the thread started that would be helpful just to give the thread a start (you can just post them here). I'll let this sit for day or two, if there isn't objections, I (or flashstorm1 or eric, it doesn't matter to me at all) can make the thread. I doubt there would be objections, but you never know.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How about an update of the old RS Leads guide? And maybe the Long Term thinking guide could be brought to D/P?

There are several game mechanics that could have their own article, and would fit well with the ingame expansion project. For example Experience is quite complex if you want to fully understand it, and is key to LC EV training among other things. Happiness is another mechanic that could be explained in detail, and would help users quickly max out Return or evolve certain Pokemon.

Edit: A guide, or set of guides, outlining the differences between how the English speaking world and other country's play would be very interesting, Japan, China, Spain and to a lesser extent France and Germany have quite different metagames and rule bases from the little I know.

In the same style as the Tradebacks guide for RBY and the 200 mode guide for RSE, possibly a guide to pre-platinum play focusing on the large scale changes that have taken place since the metagame shift (not just x pokemon got y move, now its good), though maybe this should wait until we see how HG/SS affect the metagame. Then maybe a pre-HG/SS guide if there are enough changes?

Not exactly a guide or analysis, but adding to http://www.smogon.com/dp/natures/ something more than "Yeah, I'll make this page look cooler later." and a table could be suggested in this thread. Things like actually saying how much the nature changes the stat by, where in the stat formula the boost is applied or explaining why there are five "neutral" natures. And same could go for adding a quick intro paragraph to the types page, just helps new people to get into how things work quicker.

eric the espeon

Its been plenty more than 2-3 days, is it ok if I start this then? I've got a few little ideas about how the OP should work.

I think this would be interesting if it started ASAP. The introduction of HGSS might call for a number of guides that the general public would like to see. There are also quite a number of guides in the Articles section of C&C that are just lying around and have never been uploaded. They could do with some revamps or updates to get them up and running.

eric the espeon

I have put up the topic, I think I covered most things but there is room for improvement. Mods feel free to edit things, especially the title which could be better I'm sure but I could not see how to word it best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)