Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver - The Offical Competitive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol Gravity + Hi Jump Kick. I hope that was a joke.

Anyway, Gravity + Dynamicpunch sounds good on paper, but I doubt that Medicham has the survivability to set up and make it worth the effort. Plus the chance of missing despite Gravity makes it even less reliable as a combo. You want to be able to rely on hitting after setting up to do just that.

@KurashiDragon: Dynamicpunch and Hi Jump Kick both have 100 BP.

Lol Gravity + Hi Jump Kick. I hope that was a joke.

Anyway, Gravity + Dynamicpunch sounds good on paper, but I doubt that Medicham has the survivability to set up and make it worth the effort. Plus the chance of missing despite Gravity makes it even less reliable as a combo. You want to be able to rely on hitting after setting up to do just that.

@KurashiDragon: Dynamicpunch and Hi Jump Kick both have 100 BP.
Huh.... I could've sorn Hi Jump Kick had 95 BP. Oh well. I'm just making a point really. Dynamicpunch's effect makes up for its accuracy under Gravity. That's really all I'm saying.

I just looked up Medicham's sets acctually and now I'm agreeing with you in reliable moves for medicham.

On Starmie, it looks decent. I don't know how it would stack up against LO 3 attacks / Recover, but it's certainly worth a go.

Hmm... I love the new Role Play tutor. So much so that I made a somewhat gimmicky team based around the tutor's ability to give it to certain Pokémon (but most of my teams are somewhat gimmicky, so it's nothing new to me). I won't post it here, but let's just say it can involve things like Porygon-Z getting Speed Boost, Gallade getting Technician, and Uxie getting Magic Guard - and that's just if the opponent has nothing better!

(In case you haven't already guessed, Role Play copies the target's ability and overwrites the user's, much like Trace. Sorry for the bold, but I get really tired of explaining what this move does.)

scizor with bug bite interesting now you wouldnt have to use u-turn

and bug bite will do alot of damage thanks to technician and stab xD plus get rid of the berry lol

so stuff up petaya users or something

Stop it with the Gravity! It just doesn't do enough to make the set-up worthwhile. Just because some more guys get it won't suddenly make it usable.

Hmm, another offensive gravity user could be starmie

-Gravity
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump
-Blizzard
I don't really see the point of a gravity starmie. I'd rather use Rain Dance, surf, thunder and ice beam instead. Rain dance surf hits harder than hydro pump, thunder is 100% accurate anyway and the only notable thing that blizzard hits harder is Latias. Ice beam 2HKOs the offensive variants anyway, and Starmie outspeeds. So really, blizzard only succeeds in 2HKOing defensive variants, but they won't want to switch into a starmie ice beam anyway. This is taking life orb into account.

Also, with the set I suggested, you have some 100% accurate moves to use if you don't have the time to set up anyway.

I don't see any advantages to using gravity starmie.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I don't see much viable use for sets that try to abuse Gravity for their own needs, particularly when it is just for the accuracy boost. IMO, Gravity should be used as something to set up other Pokes like Mamoswine and Dugtrio who have the potential to be truly threatening under it. If you look at the users that now get the move, it seems that a fully offensive Gravity team could now be somewhat viable.

Below is a list of all the OU-viable Pokemon that get access to Gravity + a useful suicide move (bolded are the Pokemon that can also set up at least one entry hazard, italicized are the Pokemon that could already do this prior to HGSS):

Jirachi
Metagross
Forretress
Magnezone
Bronzong
Blissey
Cresselia

And now for the not so OU-viable Pokes:

Exeggutor
Claydol
The Regi Trio
Probopass

Chimecho
Lunatone
Solrock

Clefable

So there are now seven good OU users that can set up Gravity, compared to just two before (Jirachi and Blissey), who were only really useful for lategame anyway. And how could you ever build a decent Gravity team with only two half-decent users? Magnezone is especially notable as it can also trap and kill Scizor, who is a big thorn in the side of the most dangerous Gravity sweepers. Forretress too for being the only one that can set up Spikes.

Of course, the usefulness of Gravity teams may well be heavily dependent on whether Garchomp gets voted in OU or not. But nonetheless, I wouldn't count out Gravity offense as a viable strategy yet, before it has a chance to be tested with the new additions.

EDIT: I haven't considered Memento here to be a useful suicide option, but if any of you disagree then I can add Dusknoir to the list of OU-viable Pokes.

Ill tell you right now. I hope noone is underestimating superfang on walrein, here. You try to roar it away, you lose half your health. you try to stay in, you'll probably lose the stall battle. Get ready for this....

People, BUG BITE WILL NEVER SURPASS U-TURN ON SCIZOR!

It's only use is completely outclassing X-Scizor on SD sets.
You can make a claim, but only future Shoddy stats will tell.

Adding Bug Bite wont just increase the potential of SD Scizor, but it could very well increase the favor of SD Scizor as well.

Quick question:

when will shoddy actually be updated with all the new bells and whistles of HG and SS?

I'm guessing the question already has been answered.

I need to know when i should start preparing for superfang walrein and extremespeed dragonite.

Stop it with the Gravity! It just doesn't do enough to make the set-up worthwhile. Just because some more guys get it won't suddenly make it usable.
With alot of people talking about it I do think that gravity will get worth while. So many people talking about it means so many more people testing it and who knows it might just be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)