Suggestion - IRC on a page

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if it could be possible to add a page that uses the free java based IRC client.

It is really easy to setup and might even promote more users to come on to the IRC because maybe they are to lazy to set up an IRC program or something.

http://www.pjirc.com/downloads.php

Sort of seconding this. A good deal of members don't have an IRC client for whatever reason, but have the necessary runtime for a Java based client (thanks to ShoddyBattle). This can give them a chance to try out Smogon IRC!

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure whether we want to put an applet on the site, but in the meantime, you might find the CGI client on the synirc web site itself helpful.

http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

Join #stark first since you don't need a registered nick for it.

I think Chatzilla is an excellent IRC client. All it needs AFAIK is for you to download mozilla firefox and then it itself. It also features the excellent feature that you can open a channel on start up and name highlights. If anything i think that is the preferred client.

I really don't see the point in this when there are good IRC client such as mIRC and xchat and browser based clients like chatzilla and Mibbit. Besides, if you want to join IRC from a random library computer or whatever your best bet is probably Mibbit anyway.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using IRC Program since June of 2008. I did not know how to kick ban, set channel excepts, hide my IP, or how to do anything for a good deal. Let alone, install a client for a program that confuses me. I uses Java for a great while, and while the only trade back is certain commands are more tedious to do, it is better than being completely confused...furthermore if we do set up a Java Client, I think a page on smogon.com itself with useful IRC commands such as how to join a channel, would be great to have.

Yeah, if IRC will be easy to acess, it will eventually be flooded with trolls and spammers like the Shoddy SU server nowadays. In short - not a bright idea.

Yeah, if IRC will be easy to acess, it will eventually be flooded with trolls and spammers like the Shoddy SU server nowadays. In short - not a bright idea.
not really.
I've seen websites where there's a jIRC applet and there's no such problem. #Smogon is +R anyway, so it's not like spammers are going to have an easy time getting on like they do on shoddy.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I am an operator in PokeBeach's chat room. They have an IRC applet and almost everyone who goes on through it is terrible. The bottom line is that anyone wothwhile to chat with can access IRC another way.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There is already a link to both mibbit and a webchat client on the Smogon IRC page, you could take that to mean we don't need a Smogon based webclient, or that since we have this and its not causing massive problems (as far as I know) and maybe making some people more likely to come on the channel, why not go all the way and have one on Smogon?

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
The amount of trolls who are willing to go through more work just to disrupt a chat room is far less than if they had one open automatically on the site.

Iirc Smogon already had this a while back. I don't know what their actual reason was for discontinuing it, but I'd imagine it slows the site down, and as already said there are plenty of alternatives already available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)