CAP 9 CAP 9 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me like a defensive Kitsunoh, a bunch of resistances and immunties, and since its reliable to switch in, it forces the opponent to switch, effectively scouting. I find that Flygon does a similar thing as well. So, how is this NOT a defensive Kitsunoh, because CaP doesnt really need another scout.
Flygon and Kitsunoh are quite offensive scouts and both can have issues with repeated switch ins since it gets predictable and neither are very durable to take neutral hits.

While this Pokemon may be in the same vein, I feel a more support oriented Pokemon would fit this concept more than another U-Turn + Good Typing. Now, I want this CAP to push the idea of predictable to the edge and turn it into mind games but with the advantage of being quite durable and having a good support move pool to always keep busy while on the field. It could even turn into a Pressure + Spite staller, I really don't know.

Just wondering: Since my original idea was deleted by tennisace for being too similar to Revenankh, am I allowed to post another concept (since I personally did not delete it) or does the rule still apply in this scenario?

@ Fuzznip

I was going to go with that idea but I figured Jirachi had it down to a science, though that doesn't mean we can't do it better :)

Hmm... it appears that my concept was deleted, since it was to close to Fidget. Ah well, I had a backup. An entirely different concept...

Name: Low BST
Description: A pokemon with a below average base stat total, that somehow succedes despite that one problem.
Justification: While many pokemon with a bad Base Stat Total are condembed to NU or lower tiers, some have gotton to higher tiers: a few even snuck into OU! Examples are Dugtrio, Wobbafett, and Dusclops in Advanced. These pokemon all have under 500 Base stats, yet they all had a use (no matter none of them are in OU anymore, cause Wobba is in Uber.)
Questions to be answered:
  • What strategies are viable when you don't have many base stats?
  • Why is it that some pokemon can succede with low base stats, when others cannot find much of a place in OU with 600 stats? (dragonite)
  • How can a pokemon like this be viable?
  • Most of the above are trappers. What alternative stratagies can be explored?
Explanation: All of the CAPs of the past had large Base stat totals. However, it could be interesting to have a CAP with a low Base Stat Total, if only to see what effects it could have. Many pokemon in OU have a large (500 or over) base stat total: it would be a large shake-up for a low stat totaled pokemon to enter into the highest recesses. I would think this CAP would need to be specialized: perhaps a wall of sorts, with low stats otherwise. It would be a good test, though, of the OU metagame.

I hope my grammar is decent enough

Concept: Passing a Different Baton

Description: A Pokemon that specializes in baton passing underused stat boosts/effects. (i.e. Iron Defense/Barrier, Amnesia, Aqua Ring, Ingrain ect.)

Justification:
Baton Pass teams are very rare in OU/CAP. There are a variety of both non-offensive boosts (e.g. Iron Denfense, Cosmic Power) and useful effects (e.g. Magnet Rise, Ingrain) that can be baton passed by common OU pokemon such as Scizor, Vaporeon, Gliscor or Jolteon but, for some reason,are ignored in favor of Substitute or offensive stat boosts. (i.e. Swords Dance, Agility/Rock Polish, Nasty Plot.)

Questions to be Answered:

-Can CAP9 effectively baton pass to it's teammates?
-Are the stat boosts that CAP9 can baton pass useful in this metagame?
-Are the special effects (i.e. Aqua Ring, Magnet Rise) that CAP9 can baton pass viable in this metagame?
-Will CAP9 make Baton Pass teams more common?

Explanation: CAP9 would have a large movepool of potential statboosts/special effects to pass to teammates. These potential statboosts/special effects would probably include Cosmic Power, Aqua Ring, Ingrain, Magnet Rise, Barrier/Iron Defenese, or Amnesia. Abilities such as Sticky Hold, Suction Cups, or Sound Proof could be a huge asset to CAP9 because they would prevent some of the more common methods to defeat baton passing (e.g. Trick is stopped by Stick Hold, Whirlwind/Roar is stopped by Suction Cups, Roar and Perish Song are stopped by Sound Proof ect.) CAP9 would also need a method to shut down Arghonaut.

@ Mattman

The Low BST thing has been done and it's most prominent example, in OU, is Smeargle. His low BST is made up by his massive move pool. How would differentiate from this? I suppose you could go with the ability but then it seems, to me at least, that you are forcing a solution. Basically, what I am saying, is that if you don't do a Smeargle (or even Shedinja) clone, how would you make Low BST work without it being outclassed?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Most Reliable Spinner

General Description: A Pokemon that to the maximum extent possible punishes the most common ways of protecting field hazards, and/or uses field hazards to their advantage in battle.

Justification:
Stall is a huge part of pokemon strategy. It requires a lot of set-up time and a dizzying array of defensive or bulky offensive pokemon to make it work. Of particular note is how quickly hazards can be set up and how through pressure they are maintained even if their Ghost-type is not on the field blocking Rapid Spin. This pokemon does not necessarily need to be "anti-stall," but it should explore the concept of removing hazards reliably in its totality.

~What actually leads to Spinner reliability? No huge weaknesses, especially to Stealth Rock seems to help, but some of the best Spinners are completely neutral to hazards.
~If there were a single pokemon that reliably answered most or all of Stall's counters to removing hazards, how offensive would the metagame become?
~Bulky Offensive also uses hazards to control the field of play, if you could reliably limit the duration of those hazards, would Focus Sash become viable on more than just leads?

Explanation: This is an area that I don't think Fidgit explored sufficiently. The comparisons are usually immediately drawn to it but I don't find them valid, especially because in addition to being a somewhat reliable spinner, Fidgit is also the greatest single stall continuance mechanism ever created. This pokemon would be much more focused around this single area of exploration, and less on being everything to everyone. Of particular interest to me is the potential mix of types and abilities. Does it need resistance to Ghost, to Rock? Should it have hazard-nulling abilities or something like Guts to turn the common Will-o-Wisp and Toxic Spikes into an offensive advantage?

@ Deck Knight

Isn't the most reliable Spinner one with Scrappy? We can do typing and move pool, but if we are talking MOST reliable, nothing tops that, IMO.

If I am oversimplifying, please tell me so that I may learn.

If we had a scrappy spinner CAP, as long as its stats were decent, entry hazards would just become pointless. People would stop using them, and that doesn't teach us much about the metagame.

Name: Type-Change Master

General Description: A pokemon that effectively utilizes type-changing attacks like Camouflage and Conversion, and potentially type-changing abilities like Color Change or Forecast.

Justification: Most oftentimes the most reliable counter to any threat is a pokemon that possesses an attack that does great damage to the target due to weakness. That whole idea gets thrown out the window if you have a sturdy enough pokemon that can change its type at will.

• How heavily do type-advantages influence competitive battling?
  • Will the lack of reliable weaknesses to exploit result in an increase of pure offensive assault, in increased status-stalling, or in something completely different?
  • Can a pokemon function offensively without a reliable STAB attack?
  • Is type-changing a viable competitive strategy, or is it purely a "gimmick" notion?
Explanation: This is one of those niches that may only be a gimmick because the pokemon that get them can only use them as just that - gimmicks. It's at least worth testing to discover whether a pokemon actually built to utilize type-changing effectively could be a viable threat in the competitive metagame. It's everything Kecleon wanted to be, but utterly failed at. It's a realm of battling that is rarely touched upon, and is worth taking a look into....at least in my opinion.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys, this is already getting off topic. If you can't help a concept, please be quiet. I've already seen poll jumps in this topic, and please remember that they will not be tolerated.

Low BST

I personally do not like this concept. Not only is it semi-illegal because it forces low stats, but it is completely arbitrary and lacks a direction other than "Low stats." So where does this pokemon go after we give it low stats? Give it some direction.

I'd like to remind everyone that I would prefer concepts that have not been used in the current metagame. I want new and interesting ideas, not the usual "mixed sweeper", "good tank", "good wall". Please give it some thought before submitting.

Name: Two-sided attack

Description: Can play two incredibly different roles extremely well, but no middle ground. If this pokemon attempts to compromise its strengths, it will suck. Ideally, it will absolutely destroy one type of pokemon using one of its strengths, but will be completely countered if it chose the other specialty. Important: It has no true 100% counter.

Justification: Depending on how this works out, I could see this being a good stall breaker (50/50 shot at breaking one of your opponent's major walls, if this turns out to be a sweeper), or a strong wall of either defense. The important thing is that it makes prediction even more important, and should reduce any luck factor when facing this pokemon.

• Is there anyway to prevent a pokemon from being moderate, and always extremely powerful in a direction using basic methods (i.e.: Would type change or change in formes be necessary)?
  • Does such a pokemon actually encourage prediction, or is countering it completely based on luck?
  • Is it possible to create a pokemon without true counters, even if it is not overpowering?
Explanation:
This pokemon would need some separation in at least one quality. Be it excess division of movepool, multiple formes, a type change ability such as Multitype, or stats that compromise eachother (this last one is rather difficult to explain, the most similar pokemon would be infernape, but in a more extreme case. Using one offence prevents use of the other, because the attack stat would be too low to be usable. In theory, but not in practice). It should not have a universal counter, any counter should be dependant on the strength chosen by the pokemon (e.g.: Infernape is completely countered by Cresselia, regardless of if it chooses Physical or special).

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dummy007: Yes you may, but be a bit more careful submitting this time.

Two Sided Counter

Overall a nice concept, though I would think it is hard to combine two totally different roles together without being moderate. A pokemon with high attack and high defense would usually be a tank, not a wall or sweeper.

However, I think this concept would do well in answering questions based on predictions, ones that I believe haven't really been answered yet. It would also be nice to have a viable OU pokemon that doesn't almost break the top like Salamence that has no set counter.

The Perfect Pokemon

I'm assuming we make the roles equally viable? I think that there will always be one set used more than the other based on typing and movepool, however I'm not so sure as to what this introduces to the metagame. A good pokemon with well rounded stats can perform well in many roles. Jirachi is an example of that.

Name: Fast Sleep Abuser

Description: A fast leading Pokemon that can use sleep moves early in the game and force switches. May or may not have sweeping capabilities, preferably would have access to moves such as Baton Pass or U-Turn.

Justification: There are a few Pokemon in UU and OU with access to sleep-causing moves, but they are few and far between (many of them, like Parasect and Wigglytuff, are stuck in NU) and on the whole most of them are quite slow or only of average speed, leaving them open to crippling attack before they get a chance to utilize their sleeping moves. Also, most are normal-types that are vulnerable to Fighting-type moves, which are some of the most common in the OU metagame.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How can a Pokemon like this provide a viable forced-switch threat in the OU metagame but remain vulnerable in some way?
  • Could a Pokemon like this function with only adequate defenses?

Need to leave, but will finish editing this later tonight... Help would be appreciated

Baton Passer Set
Scizor, Gliscor, and Vaporeon are already viable Iron Defense/Acid Armor passers. The problem is, though, that it doesn't really help them much, as it is often more expedient just to Screen your attackers setup rather than spending space on such moves.

I'd be more interested in something that could pass Stockpile boosts well, although Arghonaut makes endeavors like this a bit futile, perhaps...

Scizor, Gliscor, and Vaporeon are already viable Iron Defense/Acid Armor passers. The problem is, though, that it doesn't really help them much, as it is often more expedient just to Screen your attackers setup rather than spending space on such moves.

I'd be more interested in something that could pass Stockpile boosts well, although Arghonaut makes endeavors like this a bit futile, perhaps...
Drifblim is a viable Stockpile passer but it's just not worth passing defensive boosts since it's usually not enough to stop the strongest threats, who can usually set up since, as a wall, you will likely have nothing to hit them back hard enough (especially Sub CM sets) and critical hits can still kill you.

It might be worth investigating though.

Name: Boy or Girl?

Description: A Pokemon that dealt with differently depending on the gender being used/faced.

Justification: Gender is the one aspect of customization of a Pokemon that is totally and completely ignored in any competitive aspect. Gender-based attacks such as Attract and Captivate are considered gimmicky at best, due to their hits-only-one-gender nature. This Pokemon could potentially make choice of gender a very critical decision when building a team.

-Can a Pokemon have different 'counters' based on something not directly related to base stats, typing, or movepool?
-Are gender-based moves more viable in a metagame that would encourage the use of multiple genders per team?
-Would the metagame shift harder towards the use of no-gender Pokemon, or would a 'dominant' gender appear?

Explanation: There's several distinct possibilities with this Pokemon. It could be an offensive Pokemon that hits other or the same gender harder, (similar to Rivalry, though obviously that ability has issues), or it could be a defensive Pokemon that is able to wall Pokemon more efficiently when facing the same/different gender. The key is not in exactly what the Pokemon does, but rather how it performs when faced against a certain gender.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Most Reliable Spinner

General Description: A Pokemon that to the maximum extent possible punishes the most common ways of protecting field hazards, and/or uses field hazards to their advantage in battle.

Justification:
Stall is a huge part of pokemon strategy. It requires a lot of set-up time and a dizzying array of defensive or bulky offensive pokemon to make it work. Of particular note is how quickly hazards can be set up and how through pressure they are maintained even if their Ghost-type is not on the field blocking Rapid Spin. This pokemon does not necessarily need to be "anti-stall," but it should explore the concept of removing hazards reliably in its totality.

~What actually leads to Spinner reliability? No huge weaknesses, especially to Stealth Rock seems to help, but some of the best Spinners are completely neutral to hazards.
~If there were a single pokemon that reliably answered most or all of Stall's counters to removing hazards, how offensive would the metagame become?
~Bulky Offensive also uses hazards to control the field of play, if you could reliably limit the duration of those hazards, would Focus Sash become viable on more than just leads?

Explanation: This is an area that I don't think Fidgit explored sufficiently. The comparisons are usually immediately drawn to it but I don't find them valid, especially because in addition to being a somewhat reliable spinner, Fidgit is also the greatest single stall continuance mechanism ever created. This pokemon would be much more focused around this single area of exploration, and less on being everything to everyone. Of particular interest to me is the potential mix of types and abilities. Does it need resistance to Ghost, to Rock? Should it have hazard-nulling abilities or something like Guts to turn the common Will-o-Wisp and Toxic Spikes into an offensive advantage?
I like this concept(I was even thinking about posting the same thing lol).

It's well known that Rapid Spinning is practically impossible, with the prevailance of ghost types, particularly Rotom-A, who can beat every Rapid Spinner. A reliable Spinner would be interesting, as we can see how stall adapts, since they stand to lose the most from a reliable spinner. It also allows offensive teams more leverage, since they need not take 37% + Toxic Status each switch in.

About offensive teams not being able to utilise rapid spin - what if the spinner itself is offensive? Rapid spin can easily bring the momentum to an offensive team anyway, which would benefit a team more than harm it.

Overall, we stand to see how both offensive and stall teams adapt, and that fits with the goal of CAP. We learn about the metagame and how it is affected by the addition of a reliable spinner.

I hope this is good enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: The End to All Dragons

General Description: With Dragon Pokemon such as Salamence (and formerly Garchomp as a matter of fact), this Pokemon will be able to switch into their common moves - something that is near impossible today - and pose a threat.

Justification: If this Pokemon will in fact stop the rampage of threats such as MixMence, other, lesser used options will probably be used and maybe we will find something new and effective. Say, maybe a different way to beat stall that isn't known yet? This will definitely help us learn about the metagame.

• Is stall more viable with this new Pokemon?
  • How will this change affect Heavy Offense? How will it affect Balanced teams?
  • Will this Pokemon enjoy a lot of usage even without the rampaging Dragons?
  • Will the metagame be more open to UU and BL Pokemon with the Dragons in check?
Explanation: With most Dragons today abusing Draco Meteor, a Pokemon that is resistant/immune to them seems logical. Will this lead to a new ability that is immune to Dragon attacks? If this will happen, resistances to the popular Fire+Ground+Dragon combination is possible. Will this Pokemon be Steel type? Maybe a Steel/Water or Steel/Fire with Levitate?
Maybe this Pokemon will have the bulk to take even DM?

There are a lot of ways to go with this, but the most important part of this concept is the outcome: "What will the metagame look like with Dragons at bay?"

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: Priority Move Abuser
Description: A pokemon that excels at using a wide range of priority moves.
Justification: One of the main reasons why Scizor is so popular is Bullet Punch. Before this, it's usage was down in the thirties. Would Scizor be successful without move such as U-turn and Pursuit? This is what I am to learn.
Is it possible to have a successful pokemon with mostly limited to priority moves?
Will the metagame centralize around priority moves?
Will fast, frail attackers dwindle?
Explanation: Obviously, this may help with the faster frailer pokemon, and even some bulky set up sweepers. The most likely ability would be Technician, although I wouldn't really be sure of the typing. Something that would get STAB on a few priority moves. This would make stall more common though, but there are ways of beating stall already. Obviously, this wouldn't need much speed, though I think mixed attacking stats may be the way to go. This could also open up an opportunity for a new special priority move, as there are hardly any.

Thanks for considering this.

Weather Abuser

General Description:
In OU/CAP, the only kinds of weather we're seeing are Sandstorm and Rain (Hail is sometimes seen, but pretty rare), this pok'emon will be able of using the forgotten weathers.

Justification: As above, Sandstorm and kinda Rain are the only weather effects commonly seen. Making a weather abuser will allow us to know what (releativly) small boosts can make a Pok'emon

-
Can small boosts improve a pokemon greatly?
- Will it make proper-weather teams viable in OU?
- Which pokemon will become the other OU weather abusers?
- Is this pokemon viable (Mamoswine-level) in normal OU conditions?

Explanation: This pokemon should probably be Grass, Ice, or Fire-typed You should let the final typing dictate if this pokemon would be a Hail or Sun abuser, and if the typing is (Grass/Fire)/Ice, try and make it a dual-weather abuser. Altrough other typings (Water) can be attempted.

Its ability can be Chlorophyll/Solar Power/Snow Cloak/a Attack/Speed-booster in hail (NOTE: I HATE Ice Body, so i didnt list it as a option), but it can be a totally unrelated ability, the pokemon benefiting from no Water weakness and/or boosted Fire moves for Sun, and 120% increase in Ice move power and/or no Leftovers recovery for Hail.

Name - Massive Stats, Micro Movepool

Description - Title speaks for itself. A pokemon with ridiculous stats, that is balanced out by an absolutely abysmal movepool.

Justification - The premise is simple. This concept is designed to test if a pokemon that relies solely on stats can preform in the CAP metagame, without support from a movepool. Essentially, it is a reverse Mew, no movepool, all power.

Questions To Be Answered -
-What is more important when creating a pokemon: movepool or stats?
-Can a pokemon that has generally overwhelming stats be countered because it is predictable or can't threaten the metagame's top threats due to its weak movepool?
-The next question I'd like to pose would be specifically driven by a possible approach to the concept. If this is illegal in any way, disregard this part of the submission: Can a pokemon with exaggerated stats be balanced by giving it access to only weaker versions of existing moves (namely, say, Thundershock instead of Thunderbolt, as an example)?
-Another question like the above: How important are STAB and coverage to a sweeper?

Explanation - The versatility of this concept is what I like about it the most. I'm going to present a few ways this could go, but by no means are these examples the only ways of going about this.

1. No STAB/No Coverage: Simple, don't give CAP9 any moves of its own typing, or give it moves that provide pathetic coverage. Hopefully, without the ability to boost any of its moves with a STAB bonus or an ability to deal with all but a few different type weaknesses, its stats will be balanced out.

2. Low Move Limit: Give the target creation a certain cap to how many moves can be in its movepool. This way, its stats are to be balanced out by its utter predictability. This could be fused with another one of the listed ideas, if further checks and balances are needed. This is my favorite of the options listed.

3. "Prevo" Moves Only: Basically, if the pokemon would normally get Thunderbolt, it would get Thundershock instead. Basically, the community would only be allowed to give it moves that are common for pokemon that are NFE.

A big part of this concept is that ALL of the pokemon's stats are high, not just offense, defense, or speed. This is not a "need", and if the community wants to give it a stat bias, fine. But, the idea is to test to see if something that excels everywhere can be checked by predictability and lack of options. I apologize for the metaphor, but think of this pokemon as the Akuma or Sturm of the metagame, better than most everyone, and well-balanced to boot. But, unlike these typically ban-worthy characters, the goal is to try to check it with option deficiency.

Hope this wasn't too long winded, but I hope I conveyed how vesitile and full of potential this concept can be. If anything is illegal about this, please let me know, and I will attempt to accomidate.

Name: Anti-Taunt Support
Description: A support pokemon that can bypass the effects of taunt or otherwise have an edge over Taunt users.
Justification: In the metagame, fast leads with Taunt can quickly gain control over a battle from the beginning. Taunt can stop entry hazards, baton passers, support and walls as well, making it a powerful weapon through all stages of a battle. An anti-taunt support adds a new element to keep everyone on their toes.
*Can Taunt users be effectively shut down by sheer speed?
*Can the advantage of Taunt be mitigated if it succeeds?
*Is the advantage of Taunt as powerful as many make it out to be?
*Which moves are most often shut down by Taunt?
Explanation: One way to make an anti-taunt would be to give it an ability that mitigates the effect of Taunt. Another would be to give it high speed and something to force a switch on Taunt users. (Be it offensive stats, status etc.)
Of course, the anti-taunt support must fulfill its role as support. Giving this pokemon entry hazard moves and/or Wish or making it a cleric or baton passer can be considered.

Concept: "Steel + Dragon Counter"

Description: A pokemon capable of taking on both Steel and Dragon types with decent sucess, but struggles against some other types.

Justification: Steel and Dragon types are almost all in the OU metagame, with only 1 dragon outside of OU, and over half of the fully evolved steels being OU. Steel and Dragon types also complement each other's weaknesses well, and are arguably the 'core of OU'. This project would help us find the best way of dealing with the Steel/Dragon core of OU. There are many possible ways, be it trapping, typeing, movepool, or even stat spreads to allow it to switch into and defeat Salamance and Metagross.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is it possible for a single pokemon to reliably counter most dragons and steels in OU?
  • How will the metagame develop with something that can demolish the core of Steels and Dragon within OU?
  • Which OU pokemon will take advantage of the lack of Steels and dragons?
  • Will useage of Salamance, Heatran, Jirachi, Metagross ect fall because of this CAP?
  • Is it possible for a pokemon to be abloe to counter the 'core' of OU, and avoid being Uber, or amazingly vunerable to almost everything else in OU?
Explanation: As mentioned before, this CAP would be able of taking on most Dragons and Steels. Although, it should not be capeable of taking out EVERY Dragon and Steel reliably (Bear in mind Cyclohm is OU in CAP as well), it should be able to take out the majority of them. This could be done many ways. Magnet Pull, or a custom ability to trap Dragons would be a possible methord, as would being an Ice Type which is not weak to Steel-type attacks. It would be possible for the CAP to be bulky, or offensive, although a Bulky Offense CAP is the most likely, as if it's not able to take Salamance/Scizor's attacks, it'll probobly fail. There are many ways of going about a Dragon/Steel counter, and I feel that we'll learn a lot about the metagame from it.

references: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48338 ( abit outdated, but help understand the concept)

Name: Type Twist

Description: A Pokémon that is able to put to use one or more underused physical or special based type thanks to STAB, stat distribution, movepool etc.

Justification: There are a lot of attack types which have the potential to be very damaging to the metagame, but that, due to bad moves or a bad distribution of the good moves, are underused (not tier-wise). This Pokémon should be able use on or more of them, shaking the metagame around itself a bit. Maybe walls that previously didn't fear an uncommon type will now start to be more on guard, and other answers will rise to fight the new threat. So, I'd say that:
- Has a positive effect on the metagame. The increase of type variety definitely promotes a more diverse offense which will possibly lead to a change in the otherwise quite stagnant Stall game-style.
- Allow us to learn more about the metagame. All of these underused types have some potential yet flawed abuser. Maybe, if the playtest show the power of a specific type in conjunction with a more traditional offense, people will try the already existing Pokémon (maybe with hazard, field or Baton Pass support to overcome the flaws)
- Introduces a new niche in the metagame. This goes without saying. These types lack (by definition) a combination of good user and good movepool, so creating one will necessarily shape a new niche, with all the consequences outlined above.

Questions to be answered
1) Which are the most potientially damaging but underused types in OU, and how CAP9 takes advantage of one or more of them?
2) How much standard walls relied on the absence of this/these type/types? How the introduction of CAP9 affect the viability of walls and checks in general?
3) How the metagame changes around to combat the new threat? Different EV distribution? Or different Pokémon altogether?
4) How are the other sweepers influenced by CAP9? Does the introduction of the new threat overshadow previously common attacking types? Or there are attacking types which, thanks to sinergy, thrive even better in the new environment?

Explanation: Physical Fire, Physical Ice, Special Flying, Physical Electric, Special Fighting, Special Dark... the list goes on. All of these types share a common trait: they are underused but potentially very dangerous. Just look at the thread I linked above and you'll see what I mean. The reason why these types are generally unviable are multiple. Some have very few possible candidates (like Infernape for physical Fire, or Lucario and to a lesser extent Infernape for special Fighting), others suffer from low BP moves (like special Flying and physical Electric), and there are ones who lack dedicated abusers in OU (Special Dark for example).
All these moves have the potential to affect the metagame greatly, because walls intended to wall that certain type are prepared to wall just a part of the physical/special spectrum. Special Ice or Fire, Physical Flying etc. Just think of how much a powerful Aura Sphere (maybe Nasty Plotted) would put the hurt in Blissey (leaving the opponent who relied on Blissey alone for sp. atks in fear), or how a boosted Volt Tackle would hurt Skarmory and Gyarados (two very common physical walls on stall).
I think there is enough choice type-wise and stat-wise to not make this concept restrictive (at least, far less than others). And to those who may think this concept is a bit directionless at the start (at least in the type choice threads), they are wrong. The discussion should not be about the favourite type of someone, but instead about which type has the potential to be more dangerous (valuing common threats, SR factor, available movepool etc). All in all, I think that, even when it comes to choose the type, there are enough point for a non-clueless discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)