Aggron: No longer the retarded child of Rhydon and Registeel

Aggron has been one of my favourites ever since I first saw it on my Ruby cartridge, so I'm very happy that it's finally usable in standard play. Anyway, here's an interesting set that I found while looking through the New and "creative" moveset/EV spread thread. It was posted by fmsYEAH. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, because Shoddy isn't working properly for me at the moment, but I'm defiantly going to test it when I get the chance.
I had Aggron on Sapphire, and was very impressed as well. CB Aggron appeals to me best, as it hits most Pokemon in the game for SE damage:
@Choice Band
252HP/252Atk/6Def
Adamant nature, Rock Head trait
~Head Smash
~Low Kick? Superpower? Focus Punch?
~Avalanche
~Earthquake
I need some help with the Fighting move thought...

with swift swim it becomes a totally "different" poke from aggron
i would not even compare to two if that is the case
if you want to compare him to head smashing aggron, i'd consider relicanth with head smash AND rock head ability

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Or rather, Relicanth is not in a worse position because it has 2 good abilities to pick from, it's in a better position.

Yeah, but when you want to put some sort of power rock attacker in your team, you don't consider Relicanth over Aggron because it can Swift Swim and become something totally different, just as when you're considering a mix attacker you don't choose Jirachi over Salamence because Jirachi can SubCM.

Aggron is just more hyped than Relicanth for its Steel-typing (meaning resistance to SR and immunity to Toxic Spike), its awkwardly high physical emphasis, and the 44 greater attack points than Relicanth's. Then the different move-pool and that's about it.

Aggron is just more hyped than Relicanth for its Steel-typing (meaning resistance to SR and immunity to Toxic Spike), its awkwardly high physical emphasis, and the 44 greater attack points than Relicanth's. Then the different move-pool and that's about it.
So all the things that make a Pokemon better than another is making something over hyped? If you think about it, the Steel typing alone is a great type. However, Aggron has two 4x weaknesses to the two most common attacking types in OU, but all those resistances are very helpful. One must remember Relicanth has pretty shitty typing as well. That 44 point difference can actually make an impact in OU. I would have to say Aggron and Relicanth have about the same movepools as each other.

On the positive note, Relicanth has better dual STAB's.

And, as I said before, Relicanth's speed means that Scarf Heatran can't revenge kill it after a Rock Polish, whereas Aggron will fall to Earth Power unless it's Jolly, in which case the difference in attack power is not that big.

But it loses out on that nice Swift swim.
I haven't seen any Relicanth that run Swift Swim when there are Omastar, Kabutops, Qwilfish, Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Floatzel, all of whom abuse it much better than Relicanth. Relicanth's previous niche was its Head Smash with Rock Head, but now Aggron is getting more hype than it, I believe not due to its higher attack, rather its steel typing.

Its steel typing means it can take Draco Meteors(with sand support), Outrages, Pursuits, Crunches, and Stone Edges, with relative ease. This allows Aggron to set up one of his myriad of set up/support moves: Magnet Rise, Substitute, Rock Polish, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Toxic, or Roar. It also means Aggron can hit something on the switch very, very hard, with CB Head Smash. In the current OU environment, nearly everything will be easily 1-2HKOed, and the ones who are 2HKOed are typically slower than Aggron anyways(Skarmory, Forretress). Now, if Relicanth was able to abuse the same resistances as Aggron, he would have seen a decent amount of usage as Aggron-case closed. Relicanth doesn't have the resistances to make him a worthwhile slot on your team, but Aggron can stop a DD Salamence sweep, and can even beat mono-attacking Latias.

The extra 20 base attack points(equivalent of 44 stat points) in attack helps, sure, but I feel that his secondary typing is what allows him to be used in the first place.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good, then Aggron loses his Rock Polish boost. And he can't stay in to deal damage. Sounds good to me.

Good, then Aggron loses his Rock Polish boost. And he can't stay in to deal damage. Sounds good to me.
Ah right, i didn't see the part about RP aggron.
RP aggron outspeeds all scarf heatran if aggron's jolly, so it won't be revenge killing.

And, as I said before, Relicanth's speed means that Scarf Heatran can't revenge kill it after a Rock Polish, whereas Aggron will fall to Earth Power unless it's Jolly, in which case the difference in attack power is not that big.
Who'd switch heatran into a aggron and risk a cb head smash.
Revenge killing.
----------
Ah right, i didn't see the part about RP aggron.
RP aggron outspeeds all scarf heatran if aggron's jolly, so it won't be revenge killing.
Please read the above quotes because the points you are making have already been addressed right above you

Not all Aggron are jolly... And the ONLY reason I use Aggron over Relicanth is the steel typing that aids in switching in regardless of Aggrons set (choice, RP, etc.) because I wouldn't lose sleep over giving up some attacking power on head smash to get the STAB waterfall.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Relicanth vs Aggron

Since it would appear that people want to compare Relicanth and Aggron in OU, I'm going to outline the pros and cons of both in this post (I've used both in OU quite a bit, so none of this is theorymon):

Relicanth

Pros:

- Though his resistances are few, the 4x Fire and 2x Ice resistance are extremely helpful
- Nearly unresisted STAB combo
- Physical Fighting and Ground attacks are pretty much required to have STAB and Choice Band to kill him in one hit --> the standard 252/40 Gliscor is only 4% more physically defensive than 0/0 Relicanth, and we all know how hard that thing is to kill with unboosted physical attacks
- Grass Knot, the main attack for hitting his 4x weakness in OU is only 40 BP due to his light weight, effectively making it as powerful as a 2x weakness
- Incredibly difficult to kill under Sandstorm due to the special defense boost patching up his only sub-par defensive stat, instead making it one of his best ways of switching in
- His Head Smash, although a little weaker, still kills most frail sweepers with little investment
- Outspeeds Timid ScarfTran after 1 Rock Polish with Adamant instead of Jolly
- Isn't nearly as vulnerable to revenge-killing if Head Smash misses with Choice Band, also his Choice Band set still 2HKOs most of the walls that Aggron does

Cons:

- Fewer resistances make it a bit harder to switch in
- Doesn't hit as hard, therefore being less of a wallbreaker
- Vulnerable to Toxic Spikes
- Doesn't resist Stealth Rock
- His second ability, Swift Swim, is not viable because it just makes him a worse Kabutops, regardless of what people think

Aggron

Pros:

- Hits hard enough OHKO a lot of tough walls
- Has tons of resistances to switch in on
- Able to get rid of his Ground weakness for a few turns with Magnet Rise
- Just by maxing HP, he has better physical defense than the standard Skarmory
- Immune to Toxic Spikes and resists Stealth Rock
- Able to compensate for the lower special defense with specially-oriented resistances and sandstorm
- His Life Orb Head Smash hits just about as hard as a Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash
- Jolly LO Aggron still hits harder than Adamant LO Relicanth, meaning that Aggron will always hit harder with the Rock Polish set

Cons:

- Extremely vulnerable to revenge-killing due to easily exploitable 4x weaknesses
- Can't outspeed Timid ScarfTran after 1 Rock Polish
- His other STAB either sucks or is inaccurate
- Special Defensive capabilities are still not very good even after Sandstorm
- Can't use RestTalk very well to compensate for a lack of recovery --> far too vulnerable when he's asleep

Honestly, both of them are very viable in OU. Personally, I still like Relicanth in OU more than Aggron because, it seems that if Aggron's Head Smash misses, he's either forced to switch out (CB), or gets killed the same turn (LORP). Don't get me wrong, the CB set hits like a truck, but on the road, if a truck is trying to ram into something, it probably doesn't have good control and has a good chance of missing. That's why I'm a fan of the SubRise Aggron set, which can survive way longer than CB or LORP, and it still dishes out enough damage to 2HKO a lot of walls, though it doesn't OHKO them like the CB set. This stuff doesn't really happen with Relicanth, since he can take one hell of a beating even from his weaknesses with just sandstorm and no investment. I personally wish that both of them could make it into OU (though I still have my doubts that Aggron's going to make it there either, though he'll definitely come close), but it doesn't seem like people care much for Relicanth.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Every physical attacker runs either earthquake or a fighting move, so Aggron has fewer switch ins than one may think. The list is literally condensed to:

1. Outrage
2. Choice band locked attacks

Assume sandstream and Aggron will actually have more opportunities to switch in on the special side. Therefore, its 60 base special defense is the more important statistic, and it follows that the 76 spare EVs on the CB moveset should be reallocated to special defense. It should be noted that without sandstream, Aggron is pretty much dead weight in OU.

Consider that after rock polish, it remains too slow to sweep (due to choice scarfed revenge killers). For this reason alone, I do not rate that particular moveset. Consider also, that Aggron usage with Tyranitar is undesirable due to weakness duplication, and Hippowdon is significantly less useful.

I am more interested in metal burst to be honest. I think a focus sash/stealth rock/head smash/earthquake/metal burst lead has greater potential than all of the movesets listed. I think Aggron will find a place in UU, but its new toys have not added enough value to make it viable in OU.

Since it would appear that people want to compare Relicanth and Aggron in OU, I'm going to outline the pros and cons of both in this post (I've used both in OU quite a bit, so none of this is theorymon):

Relicanth

Pros:

- Though his resistances are few, the 4x Fire and 2x Ice resistance are extremely helpful
- Nearly unresisted STAB combo
- Physical Fighting and Ground attacks are pretty much required to have STAB and Choice Band to kill him in one hit --> the standard 252/40 Gliscor is only 4% more physically defensive than 0/0 Relicanth, and we all know how hard that thing is to kill with unboosted physical attacks
- Grass Knot, the main attack for hitting his 4x weakness in OU is only 40 BP due to his light weight, effectively making it as powerful as a 2x weakness
- Incredibly difficult to kill under Sandstorm due to the special defense boost patching up his only sub-par defensive stat, instead making it one of his best ways of switching in
- His Head Smash, although a little weaker, still kills most frail sweepers with little investment
- Outspeeds Timid ScarfTran after 1 Rock Polish with Adamant instead of Jolly
- Isn't nearly as vulnerable to revenge-killing if Head Smash misses with Choice Band, also his Choice Band set still 2HKOs most of the walls that Aggron does

Cons:

- Fewer resistances make it a bit harder to switch in
- Doesn't hit as hard, therefore being less of a wallbreaker
- Vulnerable to Toxic Spikes
- Doesn't resist Stealth Rock
- His second ability, Swift Swim, is not viable because it just makes him a worse Kabutops, regardless of what people think

Aggron

Pros:

- Hits hard enough OHKO a lot of tough walls
- Has tons of resistances to switch in on
- Able to get rid of his Ground weakness for a few turns with Magnet Rise
- Just by maxing HP, he has better physical defense than the standard Skarmory
- Immune to Toxic Spikes and resists Stealth Rock
- Able to compensate for the lower special defense with specially-oriented resistances and sandstorm
- His Life Orb Head Smash hits just about as hard as a Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash
- Jolly LO Aggron still hits harder than Adamant LO Relicanth, meaning that Aggron will always hit harder with the Rock Polish set

Cons:

- Extremely vulnerable to revenge-killing due to easily exploitable 4x weaknesses
- Can't outspeed Timid ScarfTran after 1 Rock Polish
- His other STAB either sucks or is inaccurate
- Special Defensive capabilities are still not very good even after Sandstorm
- Can't use RestTalk very well to compensate for a lack of recovery --> far too vulnerable when he's asleep

Honestly, both of them are very viable in OU. Personally, I still like Relicanth in OU more than Aggron because, it seems that if Aggron's Head Smash misses, he's either forced to switch out (CB), or gets killed the same turn (LORP). Don't get me wrong, the CB set hits like a truck, but on the road, if a truck is trying to ram into something, it probably doesn't have good control and has a good chance of missing. That's why I'm a fan of the SubRise Aggron set, which can survive way longer than CB or LORP, and it still dishes out enough damage to 2HKO a lot of walls, though it doesn't OHKO them like the CB set. This stuff doesn't really happen with Relicanth, since he can take one hell of a beating even from his weaknesses with just sandstorm and no investment. I personally wish that both of them could make it into OU (though I still have my doubts that Aggron's going to make it there either, though he'll definitely come close), but it doesn't seem like people care much for Relicanth.
I love using Relicanth, its just his resistances are rather uncommon for choice sets. Both of them have weaknesses to extremely common attacks, but Aggron has the advantage of resisting common choiced attacks(Draco Meteor, Outrage, just to name a few) so he can make the most of those resistances.

Relicanth actually does work quite well in OU

Here's a Log of me using him in a recent battle.

He is actually not that bad, and I quite enjoy using him ^_^.

Scroll down just a bit, the part where I use him is in bold.

Code:
           Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Ollivak sent out Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ?).
-GZ- sent out Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Dragonite used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 37% of its health.
Metagross used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
Dragonite used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 54% of its health.
Metagross used Gravity.
Gravity intensified!
---
-GZ- switched in Relicanth (lvl 100 Relicanth ?).
It's super effective!
Relicanth lost 60% of its health.
Relicanth's leftovers restored its health a little!
Relicanth restored 6% of its health.
---
-GZ- switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 9% of its health.
-GZ-'s Metagross fainted.
---
-GZ- switched in Mamoswine (lvl 100 Mamoswine ?).
Mamoswine used Ice Fang.
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 80% of its health.
The Yache Berry weakened Ice Fang's power!
Dragonite used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Mamoswine lost 100% of its health.
-GZ-'s Mamoswine fainted.
Dragonite's attack was lowered.
Dragonite's defence was lowered.
---
-GZ- switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Starmie used Thunder.
Dragonite lost 20% of its health.
Ollivak's Dragonite fainted.
Gravity returned to normal!
---
Ollivak switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gengar.
Gengar lost 12% of its health.
Starmie used Hydro Pump.
Gengar lost 88% of its health.
Ollivak's Gengar fainted.
---
Ollivak switched in Lapras (lvl 100 Lapras ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lapras.
Lapras lost 25% of its health.
Starmie used Gravity.
Gravity intensified!
Lapras used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 97% of its health.
Lapras lost 10% of its health.
Starmie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Starmie restored 6% of its health.
---
Starmie used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Lapras lost 50% of its health.
Lapras is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Lapras used Surf.
It's not very effective...
Starmie lost 10% of its health.
-GZ-'s Starmie fainted.
Lapras lost 10% of its health.
---
[B]-GZ- switched in Relicanth (lvl 100 Relicanth ?).
Relicanth used Rock Polish.
Relicanth's speed was sharply raised.
Lapras is paralysed! It can't move!
---
Relicanth used Earthquake.
Lapras lost 5% of its health.
Ollivak's Lapras fainted.
---
Ollivak switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Jolteon.
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.
Relicanth used Head Smash.
Jolteon lost 88% of its health.
Ollivak's Jolteon fainted.
Gravity returned to normal!
---
Ollivak switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.
Relicanth used Head Smash.
Infernape lost 88% of its health.
Ollivak's Infernape fainted.
---
Ollivak switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 45% of its health.
Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Relicanth lost 65% of its health.
Metagross's Shell Bell restored a little health!
Metagross restored 9% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 44% of its health.
Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Relicanth lost 12% of its health.
-GZ-'s Relicanth fainted.
Metagross's Shell Bell restored a little health!
Metagross restored 2% of its health.
---
-GZ- switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 16% of its health.
Ollivak's Metagross fainted.
-GZ- wins!
Ollivak has left the room. [/B]

Every physical attacker runs either earthquake or a fighting move, so Aggron has fewer switch ins than one may think. The list is literally condensed to:

1. Outrage
2. Choice band locked attacks

Assume sandstream and Aggron will actually have more opportunities to switch in on the special side. Therefore, its 60 base special defense is the more important statistic, and it follows that the 76 spare EVs on the CB moveset should be reallocated to special defense. It should be noted that without sandstream, Aggron is pretty much dead weight in OU.

Consider that after rock polish, it remains too slow to sweep (due to choice scarfed revenge killers). For this reason alone, I do not rate that particular moveset. Consider also, that Aggron usage with Tyranitar is undesirable due to weakness duplication, and Hippowdon is significantly less useful.

I am more interested in metal burst to be honest. I think a focus sash/stealth rock/head smash/earthquake/metal burst lead has greater potential than all of the movesets listed. I think Aggron will find a place in UU, but its new toys have not added enough value to make it viable in OU.
The CB set is viable without sandstream, it got rid of my teams stall problems virtually by itself. the HP evs help more than SDef, as with just 52 evs he can survive a boosted waterfall from gyarados and OHKO back

I'm convinced RP needs to run a jolly nature (especially SubLeichi), but when it does it is an extremely powerful sweeper that does outrun common scarfed pokemon (Heatran being the most important)

I thought this discussion is focused on Aggron, not Relicanth. Let's try to stay on topic and not drift off.

With the introduction of the new CCAT featuring Aggron, I think this gives us a chance to show people how well Aggron works. If Rock Polish is the winner, then we have to decide between Life Orb + 3 Attacks and SubLiechi, so lets analyze which set is better. I will do this in similar fashion to Bologo's post. I might post this in the CCAT thread as well.

Rock Polish Aggron
Obviously, both sets have their own pros and cons, however they both focus on the same thing. They both try to come in on a resisted attack, and try to Rock Polish, netting themeselves a +2 boost. This allows them to outrun every non scarfed Pokemon in OU with the exception of Ninjask (who the fuck would switch in Ninjask to Aggron anway?). With this boost, they can fire off devastatingly powerful Head Smashes. However, SubLiechi attempts to Sub down with it's boosts and grab a Liechi Berry boost to sweep even further. Both sets are extremely devastating with proper team support. Both of these sets makes your opponent go from
:justin:LOL AGGRON
to this
:justin2:OH CRAP
to this
:chaos:DAMN AGGRON

Rock Polish #1: Life Orb + 3 Attacks

Aggron@ Life Orb
Rock Head
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
29 HP IVs
~Rock Polish
~Head Smash
~Earthquake
~Fire Punch/Aqua Tail/Ice Punch
---
Probably the easiest of the two to set up, Aggron becomes absolutely devastating after a single Rock Polish. With a Life Orb attached, Aggron's STAB Head Smash gets a nifty boost, as well as its two coverage moves of choice. Aggron reaches 498 Speed and 350 Attack with an Adamant nature. Rock and Ground form the QuakeSlide combo, or in this case QuakeSmash, that is only resisted by Flygon and Bronzong in OU, and Torterra and Claydol in UU. The last moveslot is based purely on preference and, somewhat, which tier you are playing in. Aqua Tail is probably the best option in OU because it will allow you to hit Hippowdon and Gliscor. for super-effective damage. Ice Punch is the superior option for UU as it hits both Torterra and Claydol for super effective damage, and scores a OHKO on Torterra. Fire Punch can always be used to hit OU Pokemon for decent neutral coverage, but it furthers your inability to get through Swampert. One must also be noted that this set can 2HKO Skarmory and Forretress.

Aggron will have trouble getting through bulky grounds such as Hippowdon and Swampert, so having a Pokemon like Celebi will help you out tremendously. Grass Knot will likely score a OHKO on both of these Pokemon listed above, and Celebi also lures in Scizor, allowing you to easily come in when it is locked into Pursuit and set up. Rotom is immune to Ground and Fighting and draws in Tyranitars, allowing you to burn them before you die and get your Aggron in. Other Pokemon good at taking out bulky waters and grounds are Roserade and Starmie.

Aggron is easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users. Having a Pokemon such such as Scarf Latias is an awesome partner for Heatran, as it allows you to kill your enemy scarfer before it has a chance to stop Aggron. ScarfTran can be eliminated by using Dugtrio. Another option is Torment Tran, as Heatran tends to lure in Choice users, it can slowly wear them down into the depths of a slow (and pitiful) death. However, a Pokemon with the exact same weaknesses as Aggron is not advised.

Rock Polish #2: SubLiechi

Aggron@ Liechi Berry
Rock Head
Jolly/Adamant
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
30 HP IVs
~Substitute
~Rock Polish
~Head Smash
~Earthquake
---
Basically Rock Polish Aggron with Substitute. The strategy is to come in on a resisted (physical!) attack, Rock Polish, then Sub down to grab a Liechi berry boost, allowing you to sweep. The only problem with this set is that it is walled by the Pokemon listed in the Rock Polish + 3 Attacks analysis (although Flygon won't like repeated Head Smashes). It works in the similar vein as Agility SubPetaya Empoleon, only hitting with the physical spectrum. Also, another edge this thing has over Empoleon is the ability to hit through bulky waters (with the exception of Swampert), Skarmory AND Blissey. The 30 IVs in HP mean that your HP statistic is divided by four, as I said earlier.

Having a Pokemon to eliminate Bronzong is a good idea. Infernape is a good idea here, so is anything with a strong Fire attack. Once again, Heatran is an option but due to the similar weaknesses it is not reccomendable. Not going to go into to much detail as it requires the exact same support as Rock Polish + 3 attacks does.

Furthermore, it should be noted that this set is not as affected as Intimidate spamming, due to the Liechi boost. Also, switching Salamence or Gyarados is extremely risky, as even a -1 Head Smash will OHKO standard Salamence and Gyarados. Other counters to these sets include priority Fighting attack users such as Infernape and Hitmontop. Hitmontop can also Intimidate Aggron, deleting the Liechi boost. Earthquake won't be doing to much to it anyways.

I have posted a couple of logs of this set, if you want to check them out!

Well there we go. Analyzed both LO and SubLiechi Rock Polish Aggron.

EDIT: There is a revote on the CCAT poll due toomorow. Choice Band looks like it is going to win...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)