Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver - The Offical Competitive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yawn and roar is a good combo though.

i was wondering if a single attack yawn / roar / stealth rock set was going to end up viable
No, it NEVER will. Swampert needs at least 2 moves for coverage. If it has EQ, then Salamence, or HP Grass Zapdos, or something like that switches in, then it's GG for Swampy. With surf, you're not AS vulnerable, but Celebi, Suicune, Vaporeon... no. And with Ice Beam, assorted steels can switch in.

No, it NEVER will. Swampert needs at least 2 moves for coverage. If it has EQ, then Salamence, or HP Grass Zapdos, or something like that switches in, then it's GG for Swampy. With surf, you're not AS vulnerable, but Celebi, Suicune, Vaporeon... no. And with Ice Beam, assorted steels can switch in.
i was thinking that and honestly one can theorymon the hell out of it, but unless it's tested, we'll never really know.

first can you all tell me how you do that damage calculation thing. I would love to know how (I love math). Second would this set me viable?

Dragonite
Nature: Rash/Naughty
Item:Life Orb/ Muscle Band/ Wisdom Glasses
EVs: 0/64/0/252/0/190
Moves-
Extreme Speed
Flametrower/ Fire Blast
Draco Meteor/ Dragon Pulse
HP Grass (don't know if he has grass knot)/ Taunt
Focus of the set is to try and kill opponent as fast as possible. I have taunt up there for those that want to try the opponents set up.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Did you, at least, try that set? I guess you didn't as Dragonite doesn't even learn taunt. Also, is there any reason for those EVs? Finally, without superpower you'll be lost against Blissey as ES is not enough to wear her down.

By the way, hp grass outdamages draco meteor only against Swampert, so I don't think it's worth a moveslot. You could use either roost or superpower in that slot.

Oh, and for the damage calcs, they're just using a damage calculator like this.

Thanks and no I didnt know it did not have taunt. I havent tried this set yet of course. I was asking because i wanted to know if it would work in theory.

yawn and roar is a good combo though.

i was wondering if a single attack yawn / roar / stealth rock set was going to end up viable
If you really wanted Yawn and Roar I'd suggest putting SRocks on a different pokemon on your team. Like somebody else said, only one attacking move will really hinder Swampy. Yawn/ Roar/ EQ/ Avalanche seems good to me. :D

If you really wanted Yawn and Roar I'd suggest putting SRocks on a different pokemon on your team. Like somebody else said, only one attacking move will really hinder Swampy. Yawn/ Roar/ EQ/ Avalanche seems good to me. :D
Pardon me for saying but dont yawn and roar have terrible synergy like skill swap+worry seed?

Pardon me for saying but dont yawn and roar have terrible synergy like skill swap+worry seed?
The whole point of Yawn and Roar together is to be able to force tons of switches. You can Yawn, then Roar. If they stay in again they fall asleep and get Roared away. If they do switch you get SR damage on 2 pokemon because of the first switch then the Roar. If you can pull it off correctly it can rack up damage quick.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The whole point of Yawn and Roar together is to be able to force tons of switches. You can Yawn, then Roar. If they stay in again they fall asleep and get Roared away. If they do switch you get SR damage on 2 pokemon because of the first switch then the Roar. If you can pull it off correctly it can rack up damage quick.
Hmm, what. Shouldn't you Yawn, then [something] and THEN Roar? Otherwise you'll never get the sleep condition before forcing the opponent to switch out.

But why... why does Aerodactyl not get Brave Bird? C'mon, he's a bird... and he's brave...

...and he's got rock head...

so why not...?

That, and Head Smash Aerodactyl is FAR to much for the metagame to handle. Can you imagine it? It would be Aggron all over again! There would be chaos!

That, and Pterodactiles aren't birds. The're reptiles.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One thing I found really interesting about HGSS is the new Pokémon that get Power Swap via breeding. Now keep in mind that I'm talking about Power Swap here, the move that swaps Attack and SpAtk boosts and drops with another Pokémon, not Power Trick, which swaps the user's base Attack with its base Defense.

Here are the Pokémon that had access to Power Swap before HGSS:

Mr. Mime
Espeon
Mewtwo
Xatu
Girafarig
Medicham

With HGSS, five new Pokémon gained access to Power Swap:

Ninetales
Exeggutor
Tangrowth
Shiftry
Altaria

These five new Pokémon have something the six old Pokémon did not; they each have a move that lowers their own SpAtk by two levels when used. Ninetales has Overheat, Altaria has Draco Meteor, and Exeggutor, Shiftry, and Tangrowth have Leaf Storm. They can use their STAB 140-base power move, then pass the stat drop off to an opponent, recharging their own SpAtk in the process.

Now, I don't expect this to make a splash in Singles play. It's too situational. However, I think this could be useful in Double Battles for a few reasons.

1. With two opponents, the odds of one of them being a Special attacker is relatively high. The switches this will probably prompt can be leveraged into a significant advantage (more so than in Single Battles).
2. An Intimidate (or even two Intimidates) can be absorbed and passed off to an opponent along with the SpAtk drops. (Gyarados and Salamence, I'm looking at you.) If you can steal the Attack boost from a Dragon Dance while you're at it, then so much the better. Keep it for yourself, or pass it to an ally.

well actually, worry seed + skill swap isn't so bad in theory. it'll save you from all those hypnosis and spore. unless you have Rest, in which case the combo sucks

Hmm, what. Shouldn't you Yawn, then [something] and THEN Roar? Otherwise you'll never get the sleep condition before forcing the opponent to switch out.
most people switch after a yawn. if you predict a switch, you can roar out the counter. with hazards up it's a decent strategy.

What would be the best set for Forretress with the new HGSS editions?

I was thinking something like

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Pain Split
Explosion/Gyro Ball

most people switch after a yawn. if you predict a switch, you can roar out the counter. with hazards up it's a decent strategy.
What he meant was with Roar, you are doing the switching for them with negative priority, so they get the added bonus of being able to hit you in the meantime. If you predict a switch-out after Yawn, then you Yawn that incoming Pokemon as well, and if you predict wrong then the first Pokemon still falls asleep. Using Roar immediately afterwards is an unnecessary risk.

Not that Yawn + Roar can't be used on the same set, if you want to keep PHazing after something falls asleep or otherwise, but using it in the way you outlined is completely backward.

That, and Head Smash Aerodactyl is FAR to much for the metagame to handle. Can you imagine it? It would be Aggron all over again! There would be chaos!

That, and Pterodactiles aren't birds. The're reptiles.
Does this really make a difference? Crobat is a bat, not a bird, yet it still learns Brave Bird. Probably the reason Aerodactyl doesn't have Brave Bird is the same reason Flareon doesn't have Flare Blitz: GameFreak hasn't gotten around to it.

As for Head Smash, that would probably be an issue of balance more than anything else. Being the rough equivalent of Aggron with far superior Speed would open up many more options due to the increased versatility that is brought with high Speed. That would be, as you said, chaos.

Although, HS Aggron would beat HS Aerodactyl one-on-one...

Actually I think they aren't giving the moves just to mess with us, but that is my opinion. Although I would love for the eeveelutions to get better moves. (I'm an eevee & eeveelution fan)

What he meant was with Roar, you are doing the switching for them with negative priority, so they get the added bonus of being able to hit you in the meantime. If you predict a switch-out after Yawn, then you Yawn that incoming Pokemon as well, and if you predict wrong then the first Pokemon still falls asleep. Using Roar immediately afterwards is an unnecessary risk.

Not that Yawn + Roar can't be used on the same set, if you want to keep PHazing after something falls asleep or otherwise, but using it in the way you outlined is completely backward.
I know you can get punished for using Roar and Yawn. That's why I said if you pull it off correctly it can do work. It's not amazing, but it's something that was worth mentioning.

This yawn roar thing seems like a 1 time only deal. Once you use it the opponent can see it coming. It's a good combo to be sure but I think its a 1 time only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)