Community Create-A-Team #2: Aggron (OU)

Which would be the most effective Aggron set?

• Choice Band

Votes: 139 38.7%
  • Rock Polish

Votes: 183 51.0%
  • Sub+Magnet Rise

Votes: 31 8.6%
  • Other (Please be specific as to what it would be)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I highly recommend adding detailed explanations of why a Pokemon should or should not be used. Otherwise you're not really contributing anything.
No sorry i've already contributed. Use your Pokemon common sense
1. Hippowdon is self explanatory
2. Celebi is also self explanatory
3. I've talked about Specs Rotom for about 2 or 3 pages
4. is a toss up
5. Heatran is another Dragon switch in
6. Aggron is aggron

Thank you. People don't make this more complex than it already is
Bulky Waters and Grounds are problems, hence Rotom

We need a Steel lure than can either hurt them or paralyzed them, hence Celebi. What what you need to hurt the Steel? HP Fire. What what you need to paralyzed them? Thunder Wave. Recover and Grass Knot/ Leaf Storm... common sense.

Heatran is left up to us for decide. Aggron can't switch into Draco Meteor's, which is where Heatran comes along. The 4th slot is up for grabs as well.
The base of the team will mostly be the 4 pokemon i'm sure with
Celebi
Aggron
Hippowdon
Rotom

The other two are basically up to us. I've proposed my 2 options. You see the Pokemon, throw out some ideas for the Pokemon. The more responses we get that match and correspond with one another, the higher the chance of the pokemon and move set working, while getting the COMMUNITY involved. If you don't like my suggestions, then clearly say that.

You shouldn't ignore Latias.
I personally believe it is simply the "best" partner for Aggron.
Those two cover all their weaknesses together. Latias with nice bulk and obvious power will be incredibly handy for aggron.

That's the same thing i was thinking. I hate two Psychics on a team, along with Rotom, that's just begging for a Tyranitar crushing, but the more i look at it. Staying in on Pursuit, and attack him. Then Aggron gets a free switch in, and Aggron gets a 2hko or a OHKO on whatever Pokemon that's coming next. I like the idea of Psychics, but 2 and a Rotom. I'm kind of iffy, but i kind of like it. I'm pushing for Latias though because it adds MUCH needed speed to a team. Latias or Starmie has my vote. Gyarados has to set up to become fast so he's out of my consideration.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would suggest rotom a, as it covers all (i believe) of aggron's weaknesses other than water. It also enjoys revenge killing against things like lucario and and gyarados that would enjoy setting up on aggron. Also, scarf rotom could get things locked into dragon/dark/ghost and then aggron can come in a head smash some more.

Alright, first, no Hippowdon, I honestly think sandstorm on aggron is the most overrated crap in this thread. it doesn't make him better in any significant way (a SpD boost in a physically based metagame where he can come in on any non-SE physical attack) and makes ALL of his best partners worse, with the exception of Gliscor.

I say:

Lead (look into it more, anything that beats Swampert/Hippowdon, maybe dragonite, maybe something else)
Team Support Jolteon
Rotom-C (not choiced)
Aggron
Bulky Gyarados
Bulk Up Breloom

Rotom and Bulky Gyara are both in there for coverage reasons, they give you two options to deflect the inevitable fighting/ground attack aimed at Aggron

Rotom should not be choiced because it will likely be taking on multiple pokemon, a Will-O-Wisp/Thunderbolt/Leaf Storm/Shadow Ball bulky set works fine, as you'll be able to hit the major Aggron counters (leafstorm the grounds and tbolt Suicune), but you also retain the option to burn Tyranitar as he's trying to pursuit you

Bulky Gyarados gives you another solid switch in, mostly on choiced revenge killers, as anything choiced that is aimed at aggron will probably give you a free set up to cause some havok.

Jolteon gives you somewhere to send electric attacks, wish support, and free substitutes for Aggron/Breloom/Gyarados

Breloom serves as a clean up pokemon, as when all the walls are dead, a + 1 or +2 mach punch can easily take down what's left. Really though, any clean up sweeper could work, I just chose Breloom as it resists rock, ground, water and electric, which will be aimed at your team frequently

Since Aggron's biggest enemy is Swampert, I suggest this Heatran.

Heatran @ Life Orb | Rash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Fire Blast / Earth Power / HP Grass / Explosion

Pretty self-explanatory. Heatran lures in Swampert and promptly destroys it with HP Grass. It also checks most bulky waters and is a general hard hitter.

Alright, first, no Hippowdon, I honestly think sandstorm on aggron is the most overrated crap in this thread. it doesn't make him better in any significant way (a SpD boost in a physically based metagame where he can come in on any non-SE physical attack) and makes ALL of his best partners worse, with the exception of Gliscor.

I say:

Lead (look into it more, anything that beats Swampert/Hippowdon, maybe dragonite, maybe something else)
Team Support Jolteon
Rotom-C (not choiced)
Aggron
Bulky Gyarados
Bulk Up Breloom

Rotom and Bulky Gyara are both in there for coverage reasons, they give you two options to deflect the inevitable fighting/ground attack aimed at Aggron

Rotom should not be choiced because it will likely be taking on multiple pokemon, a Will-O-Wisp/Thunderbolt/Leaf Storm/Shadow Ball bulky set works fine, as you'll be able to hit the major Aggron counters (leafstorm the grounds and tbolt Suicune), but you also retain the option to burn Tyranitar as he's trying to pursuit you

Bulky Gyarados gives you another solid switch in, mostly on choiced revenge killers, as anything choiced that is aimed at aggron will probably give you a free set up to cause some havok.

Jolteon gives you somewhere to send electric attacks, wish support, and free substitutes for Aggron/Breloom/Gyarados

Breloom serves as a clean up pokemon, as when all the walls are dead, a + 1 or +2 mach punch can easily take down what's left. Really though, any clean up sweeper could work, I just chose Breloom as it resists rock, ground, water and electric, which will be aimed at your team frequently
lol. I don't even need to say much to this.

The word "Salamence" should put question marks all around your team.

agreeing that aggron switching into resisted special attacks is the only real way to get him to switch into special attacks, sandstream does NOT add anything to the team as most of the members don't really appreciate it.

ugh, I just typed out a whole reply and then my internet dced on me so I'll keep this short

Hippowdown is essential due to the special defense boost. Tyranitar shares too many weaknesses with Aggron.
I find Tyranitar more useful since they share counters so they could do a double dragon type combo or since Tar is so versitile, it could act as a lure. I dunno, I find Tar more useful accomplishing an aggron sweep since it does alot more in comparison to hippo who just sits on his ass all day long.

agreeing that aggron switching into resisted special attacks is the only real way to get him to switch into special attacks, sandstream does NOT add anything to the team as most of the members don't really appreciate it.
ss gives better durability which makes it so that aggron can attack more times and tank priority/random scarfers better. besides, I find ss really handy in a match (although this is personal preference) so maybe making the team so that the members aren't hindered by ss would be handy.

Anyway, I'll test run an aggron team today so I'll see how it goes.

Sandstorm adds to the residual damage which helps over time.
and also adds residual damage to your best partners, which helps the other team. SS is great if you have multiple pokes benefiting from it, but right now the average aggron team has like... 2 that get any use from it. If you wanna run SS, run Gliscor/Vaporeon and add another steel type, since Rotom, Celebi and a few other of your best partners (Gyarados/Salamence) don't appreciate sandstorm

I don't exactly know what you mean by Hippowdon just sits on his ass all day. Hippowdon is our own Aggron counter, handles Flygon easily, along with Tyranitar and physical Jirachi's. Tyranitar is cool is and all. Two slow sweeper, essentially doing the same things is pretty redundant. Aggron doesn't need a lure to do damage. He needs a lure to either OHKO or at least cripple something fast, so Aggron doesn't have to switch out as much. Celebi's HP Fire's and Thunder Wave and Heatrans with HP grass are prime example.

Sand storm is not a problem. I don't get why people are so overwhelmed by it. Sand storm helps us by hurting Life Orb Salamences and Infernapes along with Stealth Rock, is helping them not be much a factor after their first switch in.

heatran is in the same boat as tyranitar buddy, right down to the shared weaknesses. a lure tyranitar pulls a potential counter and kills it, so does hp grass heatran

I suggest having a non-choiced rotom with TWave or WoW maybe as well as a bulky DD-dos. As for Hippowdon, it has its pros and cons. We just need to test it and see whether it's helpful or SS that annoying for our team.

What do you guys think about a Spiker. A defensive Roserade might work for this as well as driving away Swampert.

Celetran sounds good but the set for Celebi needs to be decided.

Let's see what pokemon have been suggested:

Rotom
Heatran
Celebi
Hippowdon
Tyranitaur
Roserade
Vaporeon
Gliscor
Gyarados
Jolteon
Breloom.
Latias

We should probubly choose which of those would be the teammates.

EDIT: Silly me, I left out Latias.

Ummm again dont forget latias as it covers aggron's weaknesses while aggron covering all its weaknesses and it is bulky along with obvious pwer and speed

Vaporeon isn't as good in practice as it is on paper for aggron, it's very hard to bring aggron in on vapo since he can't take the tbolts and gknots aimed for vapo

I am not seeing how people are not listing Latias as an option.

Latias is a PERFECT match for Aggron, each covers the other's weaknesses. Each allows the other to set up with the switches created (Oh wait, we're using CB, but the point still stands for CM Latias). Latias Lures T-Tar, AKA, a free sandstorm, and KO (And Set-up, for rock Polish). Trick helps Aggron get in, and crushes walls with Specs Draco Meteor... and Trick.

There is NO REASON for Latias not to be on the team. Perfect type, perfect stats to support Aggron. It even learns Wish to help Aggron! Latias is also a fearsome pokemon in it's own right, especially when it comes in on an Infernape (Common revenger to Aggron), who we all know cannot beat Latias. So the former switches out, while Latias gets a free Calm Mind/ Trick on the counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)