CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm having trouble deciding which one to run with considering the amount of diverging comments I've gotten so far. So to make sense of the wildly different opinions I've made this. Each of my designs is assigned a number. Private message or post a number of the one that you like the most(PM would probably be best so that people don't make a post with just a number). Depending on that I will finalize and make supporting art for that design. Thank you in advanced.
Number 2 definitely. Favorite design so far.

No, it wasn't intentional. I realized that the head looked a bit similar to Gyarados, but I didn't have any other ideas of how I can make the snake's head. Many of my ideas for snake heads just didn't do the trick, but this one kind of did.

However, if you have any ideas of how the snake head could look like, I would love to know.
Have you tried a rounded head? If you did and it didn't work, then try to make yours look more Cobra-esque, which is what I'm assuming you were going for. If all else fails, you could pull an Armaldo and put eyes to the side of the face.

No, it wasn't intentional. I realized that the head looked a bit similar to Gyarados, but I didn't have any other ideas of how I can make the snake's head. Many of my ideas for snake heads just didn't do the trick, but this one kind of did.

However, if you have any ideas of how the snake head could look like, I would love to know.
Why not make it look like Seviper or Arbok or something? That'd be neat I think.

I colored the 2 more popular designs first, the Narwhal and the Anteater. I also drew a mask thing because it amused me. Also don't mind the thumbs lol. I'm going to color my other two designs later, but for now I'm up for any and all color ideas for all my designs in general. Feel free to suggest whatever you think would look best.
Absolutely love the Anteater design, and -- while I seem to be one of few to support it -- would love to see it as your final concept.

Slightly altered my design:

I moved the shell a little further down it's body so that it's no longer imbalanced (as far as I can tell) and cleaned up the shading. Any more suggestions, comments?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Well gotta head out for a day or so and don't wanna miss the deadline soooo

Final Submission

The Burrowing Wolfmon is an extremely nimble and lithe predator. Using its powerful legs to burrow in even the toughest earth, it is always in a burrow during the day or when hunting waiting for prey to come by. It is quite agile and whilst sprinting around, it uses its long tail as balance. The tail is extremely well developed and is specially modified to keep heat, sand, and other ailments away from the pokemon.

It possesses alot of strength, though usually prefers to avoid unnecessary fighting, burrowing out of trouble if it can. However it is very territorial and aggresive when provoked and will viciously attack intruders or opponents.

Supporting Material

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/hyenard.png
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/hyna2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/hyna.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/hynafront.png

KoA I love you. And all related works. Also, Cyzir and Wyv did a great job too. And can't forget Mutant. There are a few others, but so much art.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
This is my personal favorite. It covers the typing perfectly, with color & style choice, is brilliantly drawn, and I think it could make an awesome sprite when that time comes. I disagree with SomeDude in that I don't think that it contradicts the Dark typing at all. Self-Assured and cockiness is something that many dark & mysterious things have, and I think that this Armadillo is a brilliant representation of what we want in this CAP.
Finally someone who undestand me!
I don't want to give to CAP Community the typical design concept: "The dark beast with intimidate face, fangs, etc".
I think that the betters CAP submissions are Cartoons and Cyzir's, because all of their submission have personality. I, -maybe a little humble-, include my submission here. I tried to do something not overdetailed to give it a Gen I or II "aura". I gave to my Armadillo a personality [Self-Assured and cockiness] and a functionality, based on "Stop the Secondary" concept [Able to Rapid Spin, Taunt, Pursuit, etc]

Armadillo Last Version:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4411/dillocapcopia.jpg

My favorites so far (I'm new) are:

1- KoA's Wolfmon. It illustrates the Dark/Ground idea the most, and is also compatible with the style and build bias. Love its looks.
2-Slightly behind, Mysteriousfellow's Darkness Spirit (hope you like my pet name for it). Original, though just a bit Ghost-ish, although who said smoke was Ghost patrimony?
3-Caladbog's Armadillo. Needs to look more dark IMO, but just gotta love it's picture using Taunt.

Edit: CyzirVisheen's Narwhal Drill and Anteater go 4th and 5th, although the Anteater looks a bit Steel-ish.

(I got banned on the server for a month, but it was an accident. My sincerest apologies)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
please remember that all finalized submissions must be posted in the format described in the op. Post that it will be your final submission when you are finished.

Alright, attempt 2,

I made a couple of tweaks to my original design, and I think it looks a lot better for it. I made the body more rounded, the pose more interesting, the anatomy slightly better, and the amulet more... amulet-ish.

Another change I made was to the yellow rings on the knees/hands, which now emit light to help CAP9 see in the dark. Looking back on it, I don't think it's such a great idea, but you can be the judge of that. It just feels like I am overloading gimmicks onto this guy, so I will probably remove them in my final entry.

C&C please :toast:

Alright, attempt 2,

I made a couple of tweaks to my original design, and I think it looks a lot better for it. I made the body more rounded, the pose more interesting, the anatomy slightly better, and the amulet more... amulet-ish.

Another change I made was to the yellow rings on the knees/hands, which now emit light to help CAP9 see in the dark. Looking back on it, I don't think it's such a great idea, but you can be the judge of that. It just feels like I am overloading gimmicks onto this guy, so I will probably remove them in my final entry.

C&C please :toast:
I don't know how committed you are to your design but I think a 3rd Eye would look really slick where that Amulet is. It would remove a gimmick and also play on the "light patches" allowing for "super sight" and the ability to see secondaries coming and stop them or something. Maybe change the purple to a different colour/shade. Purple screams Psychic to me I guess. Maybe a Black outside and Orange/Light Brown inside? Not sure.

Very suave concept though. There's tons of talent in CAP, I am very impressed!

I thought the same thing as Lord Jesseus when I saw the pyramid CAP9 design! And Scampy, your amulet mole thing looks more like a Normal type than a Dark type or a Ground type. Maybe change the colors?

Really? There must be a few Yu-Gi-Oh players on Smogon then. I haven't played the game since I was about 9 or 10, and I didn't search for references so believe me when I say I didn't 'steal' the idea.

Yeah, some of these are convincingly similar to existing Yu-Gi-Oh cards, namely Sand_Moth, Pyramid Turtle, and some others which can be arguably coincidential. And no, i'm not involved with it AT ALL.

Gah, I can't find the right eye color for my idea! Dark_Grey? Yellow or Red? I'm beginning to lose confidence in my design.

Yeah, some of these are convincingly similar to existing Yu-Gi-Oh cards, namely Sand_Moth, Pyramid Turtle, and some others which can be arguably coincidential. And no, i'm not involved with it AT ALL.

Gah, I can't find the right eye color for my idea! Dark_Grey? Yellow or Red? I'm beginning to lose confidence in my design.
Don't lose hope! I like it a lot. Have you tried yellow/red eyes? Could you show us? I feel like you could do better than dark gray. It's too... empty. In my opinion.

http://i34.tinypic.com/hsjlfp.jpg

Currently WIP. Looking for C&C before I finish it, mainly right arm and colors left. I would appreciate coloring suggestions as well. This is just the basic posing to get the details out. The left leg is a placeholder.

Based on a komodo dragon. Attempting to symbolize power. The pokemon uses its mace-like tail as a, well, mace. The plating is bone.

I entered this because with a typing like Dark/Ground, I would have liked to see more bad-ass, powerful-looking entries. Part of the reason why I entered is also due to the fact that certain pokemon designs increase the movepools available to them, at least flavor-wise - being four-limbed, bipedal, winged, possessing a tail, etc. I would especially liked to see something that looked heavy enough to use Earthquake - STAB Earthquake is part of the reason I voted Dark/Ground. In addition, being bipedal this has access to Focus Punch as well as elemental punches, and should be capable of using moves such as Aqua Tail, Stone Edge, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt if they are called for.

Ultimately, in my mind Dark/Ground is associated with the first generation's gym leader, due to his gym's affiliation with the ground-type and his own personal affiliation with the criminal organization in that game. This is something I envision him using.

I think the base design is great, the one thing I've noticed on each iteration is that it seems forced by complexity. What I mean is that there's a lot of "widgets" on the design like the horns, the ear thingies, the tail, the spikes, the beardy thing. All of these end up being one colour (except the horns) and the horns, chest area, hands, and feet are forced to be another. Therefore, all you can do is two tone designs, which can get a tad dry. My advice, and personal taste, is to reduce the complexity to more of a Sand-Gorilla but give the facial expressions and "extra" things a Dark tone, kind of like Hippowdon's colour scheme; two tone with sharper contrast will be better I think. I also think giving a better facial expression or pose would add some oomph. Maybe have him more upright, beating his chest with an arrogant smirk? Give the ape some attitude!

Cheers!

Final Submission

Going final, just because I want to put it out of my mind for now and focus on other things.

FINAL SUBMISSION

The Dark Glyptodon is known for being extremely territorial. Males specifically fiercely defend their territories, using their spiked club tails for interspecies combat. As such, males tend to be covered in scars from past fights with others of its species. This confrontational aspect derives itself from the Dark Glyptodon's natural surly attitude, which is further expounded by their constant fighting, locking them in a vicious cycle of anger. Luckily for them, their thick shells provide ample protection from not only direct assaults, but from the elements as well, allowing them to live in some unusually extreme environments. They are well known for their great physical strength, which they put to use through not only their well armed tails but with their clawed limbs as well.

As I mentioned, only the males have scars, so here's a quick and dirty female picture for some supporting material:
http://i35.tinypic.com/k18k08.png

I made another sketch that fits the typing better. I like this one... but do you guys think it's worth continuing with? Do you have any advice?

http://i34.tinypic.com/hsjlfp.jpg

Currently WIP. Looking for C&C before I finish it, mainly right arm and colors left. I would appreciate coloring suggestions as well. This is just the basic posing to get the details out. The left leg is a placeholder.

Based on a komodo dragon. Attempting to symbolize power. The pokemon uses its mace-like tail as a, well, mace. The plating is bone.

I entered this because with a typing like Dark/Ground, I would have liked to see more bad-ass, powerful-looking entries. Part of the reason why I entered is also due to the fact that certain pokemon designs increase the movepools available to them, at least flavor-wise - being four-limbed, bipedal, winged, possessing a tail, etc. I would especially liked to see something that looked heavy enough to use Earthquake - STAB Earthquake is part of the reason I voted Dark/Ground. In addition, being bipedal this has access to Focus Punch as well as elemental punches, and should be capable of using moves such as Aqua Tail, Stone Edge, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt if they are called for.

Ultimately, in my mind Dark/Ground is associated with the first generation's gym leader, due to his gym's affiliation with the ground-type and his own personal affiliation with the criminal organization in that game. This is something I envision him using.
That's something (visually and in purpose/movepool) like a Ground Tyranitar

Final Submission

Final Submission

This boar Pokemon is easily agitated and doesn't ever retreat from battle. Its power is overwhelming and it never spares the lives of its opponent. It is ruthless on the battle field, if he is your opponent you know your end is near. Not only that, but its mighty hooves are one of the hardest objects on Earth. It is extremely skilled with its club and never fights without one. Fighting him would be a living nightmare. He is... a Beast.

Supporting Material
Outline
Possible Shiny?
Enraged Boar!
Side of Face

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Argh, I've been having a lot of issues tonight in regards to art. I was only able to finish up one pic. The other pic, my other two designs which I said I would color, were lost when PS crashed on me. And it's far too humid tonight to focus on continuing, so I'll try to redo it tomorrow.
/rant
Here's the ground narwhal's full body, right out of the ground, with a slightly altered color scheme...

It's funny, I recently came up with a Narwhal Pokemon myself (for an unrelated matter though) which also had a drill for it's horn. Funny that eh?
Anyway, I quite like it, although the tail looks odd, maybe just have it as a regular whale tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)