Community Create-A-Team #2: Aggron (OU)

Which would be the most effective Aggron set?

• Choice Band

Votes: 139 38.7%
  • Rock Polish

Votes: 183 51.0%
  • Sub+Magnet Rise

Votes: 31 8.6%
  • Other (Please be specific as to what it would be)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was a bit late to vote (I would have cast for Stall-based Balance) but whatever, it wouldn't have mattered. Hippowdon, the best physical wall in the game is still an excellent partner for CB Aggron due to the Sandstorm. With Earthquake and Ice Fang (since we're not going stall, we don't need Roar) it takes care of Pokemon such as Salamence, Gliscor, Lucario, Physical Infernape, and Flygon, all of whom give us trouble. Hippowdon, with its not-so-bad SDef can also check threats such as SpecsJolt, forcing the use of Ice-type moves which Aggron can easily enter on before proceeding to wreck havoc with Ice Fang.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
---

Hell, we might even want to try Body Slam for paralysis support over Ice Fang, though I don't recommend it. The point is that Hippowdon checks many of Aggron's nemeses, gives it a boost with Sandstorm, and opens up interesting tactical possibilities (SpecsJolt is only one example).

As nice as having Celebi and Latias on the team would be, it just wouldn't be too great. With 3 dark and ghost weaks, imagine how much grief Pursuiters and Ghosts would give us.

Anyways, if someone would be willing to test this, I would be most grateful:

Hippowdon
Rotom
Gyarados
Heatran
Celebi
Aggron

Imo thats the best set of pokes to use, needs testing 1st though. Thanks in advance!

As nice as having Celebi and Latias on the team would be, it just wouldn't be too great. With 3 dark and ghost weaks, imagine how much grief Pursuiters and Ghosts would give us.

Hippowdon
Rotom
Gyarados
Heatran
Celebi
Aggron

Imo thats the best set of pokes to use, needs testing 1st though. Thanks in advance!
Why Rotom-A and Celebi? They perform rather similar tasks(beating Gyarados, bulky grounds, bulky waters, etc) and Heatran/Gyarados covers Scizor well enough already. A pokemon like Tentacruel or Roserade would be more useful, setting up Toxic Spikes, possibly spinning(Tentacruel).

Hippowdon
Rotom
Gyarados
Heatran
Celebi
Aggron

I've already tested this team. I've substituted Salamence, Starmie and Latias over Gyarados and played 10 matches with each team
1.Gyarados: 5-5
2. Salamence: 8-2
3. Starmie: 7-3
4. Latias 5-5

Now don't let the records fool you. Even though Salamence was the most productive, record wise and usage wise. Gyarados was probably the most effective in run with Starmie and Latias. In fact, Latias wasn't essentially dead weight, but it did only net a total of 4 kills in the 10 games total. I faced 4 teams with a Tyranitar, and Tyranitar killed me each and every time. Starmie was ok, namely a late game sweeper.

Ok here are the sets and ev spread i used

Hip. 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 Speed l Bold {Slack Off, Earthquake, Ice Fang, Stealth Rock}:Leftovers

Rot: 252 SpA/208 Spd/ 24 HP/ 24 Def l Timid {Shadow Ball, Discharge, HP Fighting, Trick}:Choice Specs

Sal: 252 SpA/ 136 Spd/ 120 Atk l Naive/Hasty {Draco Meteor, Outrage, Fire Blast, Sleep Talk}: Choice Scarf

• Ok now my reason behind Salamence is a revenge killer. I don't care for Earthquake because it's only for Heatran, Heatran is to slow to be a threat to any team, but that is just my thoughts.Sleep Talk is to avoid Toxic Spikes in play from Roserade, as switching to Salamence + Sand (breaking Roserades Sash) then using Sleep Talk to kill it. It also allows Celebi to come in on Breloom after Salamence takes the sleep. Salamence will happily stay in on Breloom as well though. Not to mention, using Sleep Talk always allows Salamence to switch out even if it uses Outrage. People forget how important a sleep absorber is. Even with Stealth Rock, Salamence can still revenge kill properly thanks to Intimidate. Not to mention the first attack of the game is also great, seeing as some may think its Life Orb, or if i Draco and they see no Leftovers or Life Orb, they may think Specs. Salamence was a great addition to the team.
Cel: 252 HP/ 132 Def/ 124 SpA l Bold {Recover, Leaf Storm/Grass Knot, HP Fire, Thunder Wave/Earth Power/Psychic}: Life Orb/Leftovers

• As you see, Celebi has a lot of moves optioned. I run Recover, Leaf Storm, HP Fire, Thunder Wave @ Life Orb. It works for me, because it gives Celebi some offense and not just being dead weight. This is probably the best Celebi i've created, seeing as it has has bulk and offense. It can survive a +1 Salamence Outrage ((65.35% - 77.23%)) and Thunder Wave accordingly. While a Life Orb Leaf Storm against the following
Flygon:(88.04% - 103.99%)
Non defensive Rotoms: (87.14% - 102.49%)
Max HP Machamp- (69.01% - 81.51%)

Hea: 212 HP/ 80 Spd/ 92 SpD/ 125 SpA l Modest {Lava Plume/ Fire Blast, Earth Power, HP Ice, Explosion}: Shucca Berry/ Chople Berry

Agg: 84 HP/ 252 Atk/ 172 Spd l Adamant {Head Smash, Earthquake, Aqua Tail, Fire Punch}: Choice Band

You're welcome.

Nas

Banned deucer.

Hippowdon
Rotom
Gyarados
Heatran
Celebi
Aggron

Sets?

~Testing with Hippo/ScarfRotom/DDGyara/LOTran/Celebi/RPAggron for now.

Sets?

~Testing with Hippo/ScarfRotom/DDGyara/LOTran/Celebi/RPAggron for now.
Lol, CB Aggron is the main focus of the team dude.

Anyways, for the team:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Max HP/Defense/4 Sp Def
Impish
-EQ
-SR
-Slack Off
-Ice Fang

Gets Rocks and Sandstorm up. Nice for taking electric/rock attacks.
Rotom-H @ Scarf
Max HP/Max Speed/4 Sp Att
Timid
-Tbolt
-Trick
-Shadow Ball
-Overheat

Revenge killer of the team, provides some nice bulk as an anti spinner too.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Max HP/216 Def/40 Sp Def
Impish
-DD
-Waterfall
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Status absorber, able to be another win condition late game once all of its counters are gone.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Max Sp Att/Speed/4 Hp
Timid
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Grass
-Earth Power
-Explosion

Great multipurpose set. Can take out grounds that think they can ko, as well as being a great lure for bulky waters.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Max HP/220 Def/36 Speed
Bold
-Grass Knot
-HP Fire
-Recover
-Thunder Wave

Forms Celetran combo, as well as providing status and nice bulk to the team.

Aggron @ Choice Band
76 HP/Max Attack/180 Speed
Adamant
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
-Toxic/?

Star of the show, taking care of many pokemon in just one shot with Head Smash. Last move is somewhat filler, although Toxic is mostly for the bulky pokes switching into him.

If anyone could test this, I would be most grateful. Sending the Export to text version would be cool too! xD

Nas

Banned deucer.
Okay lol, I've sort of been out of it uptill now with school and stuff, so I just assumed it was RP Agron because of the poll. Anyways I basically had that exact version of the team minus the Aggron, and went 5-0. I'll make the changes.

What the hell do I do against Latias? -_-

I'll test out your team Justinawe as soon as I can go run Shoddy and will add in the results I got with the team when I'm done laddering with it.

Edit:
While playing with this team, I notice that this team has difficulty with Rotom-A without Scarf. The team also didn't work as well as I wanted it to, though. I'll try to build my own team when I have the time.

Apparently some things didn't work out with the pre-team as well as I had hoped. Going to look at revamping some new things so we have a better base to work with!

I really don't like hippowdon in the team. I ran almost exactly the same team when Head Smash was first added (scizor over Heatran, Rotom C instead of H), and Sandstorm hurt more than helped, Aggron is the only one who appreciates it really (Scizor too technically, but he's always good, I'd assume the same with Heatran). but it slowly killed my Rotom and Celebi, and Bulky Gyara didn't care for it.

I suggest this:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Rash
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Extremespeed
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

The new Dragonite lead that's been running around. Doesn't prevent rocks, but it'll KO most of the common leads out there (including opposing Swampert/Hippowdon

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid
128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- HP Fire

Defensive Calm Mind Latias, arguably Aggrons best partner (maybe rotom-C, but it's still damn good), can come in on almost anything trying to kill Aggron and set up, draws dark/ghost/bug/dragon/ice attacks for Aggron to come in on, does it all really.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Your SR tank, takes many physical hits very well, great utility pokemon in general, while it doesn't resist the types Aggron is weak to, it can still come in, also counters other Aggron. handy for absorbing CB Scizors

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Focus Blast

Revenge killer, takes out Gyarados, Tyranitar and Salamence and several other potential threat another good ground/fighting resist (immunity in this case)

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Bug Bite

The team needed a cleanup sweeper, and he's one of the best, the added Ice/Dragon resist helps too, as some pokemon you just don't want to switch Aggron into

Aggron @ Choice Band
Adamant
56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Aqua Tail is no longer an option, it hits 1 pokemon in OU harder than EQ and Head Smash, and doesn't even guarantee a 2HKO on it.

I tested it a few games today with decent results, going to try others in Scizors place (Gyarados and Lucario, Salamence adds too many Ice weaknesses)

I've been trying out this team lately and it's been working relatively well. Out of the 20 matches that I've played, I've won 17 and lost 3.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Good for a lead. Gets SR up, can hit opposing leads hard with Fire Blast and can do good damage later in the game if you decide to preserve him until then. HP Grass is there to deal with Swampert and of course, Explode once you're through with Heatran.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 76 HP/252 Atk/180 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Double-edge

Our basic CB-Aggron. Double Edge is just a filler, absolutely anything can go in its place. The only thing is that a neutral Double Edge hits harder than a NVE Head Smash. You'll almost always be using HS anyway and occasionally EQ for stuff like Jirachi.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Extremespeed
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Lucario was actually the last Pokemon I added to the team. I initially had a Roserade with GK/Spikes/TSpikes/Leech Seed. It was OK but wasn't really working too well, so I changed it to Lucario, who's turned out to be better. Cleans up the scraps with just pure power and can counter opposing Aggron who are spamming HS.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP/76 Def/252 Spd/56 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Surf

CM Latias is simply amazing. It partners up well with Aggron and is bulky enough to survive against several things. Can sweep well with a couple of CMs under her belt, but I'm leaning towards replacing Surf with HP Fire.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Bounce

Bulky Taunt-dos is another useful Pokemon. Switches into EQs and other resisted stuff (Intimidate certainly helps here) and is good defensively. Also deals with the rare Weavile who can't be countered by Latias. Taunt is essential as it screws up phazers like Skarmory and keeps other stuff like status away. And Bounce is actually better than Stone Edge or EQ.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Discharge

Rotom seems to be one of the most active Pokemon on the team. It revenges with its speed, can cripple quite a few physical sweepers with WoW and messes up walls with Trick. Overheat is another option, though if you're using it only for Scizor, it doesn't matter too much, since most people using Scizor would assume you have Overheat and wouldn't take a risk to keep it in.

So, suggestions for different Pokemon, movesets, EVs, etc?

With Aggron, you'll be using Head Smash almost all the time, so the filler may as well be a support move like Roar, Protect, Thunder Wave or Toxic.

Rotom could be better, without SAtk investment he won't do enough damage, and with just HP investment he isn't really bulky and can't really take hits.

These teams look really bad.
dude, can you at least tell why these teams are so bad? if you are going to badmouth another team, at least give suggestions on how they could fix it.

It's no need to suggest how to fix it. I've given the same reason reason over and over about how weak Aggron teams are to Salamence. Indragon actually has a Rotom with NO Special Attack ev's. Not to mention 3 Steels all in one team. After once Dragon Dance, Tyranitar will easily kill all 6 Pokemon he has. You're telling me explain how these teams are bad. It's no reason to explain, everything is self evident. Explaining the obvious is pretty much a waste of time.

Bigfoots team is ok i guess. I'm not a fan of Scarf Gengar and SD Scizor, but at least the team has answers for DD tar and Salamence.

So i've responded to your request. Also suggestion how to fix teams is a waste of time, when they have more than one slot that seems pretty much ineffective. I would have to suggest a whole team shift.

I'm going to slap a deadline on this now, as we have all of the main components, and plenty of testing has been done:

October 16th

By this date the RMT will be up, and we will have created a successful team where Aggron really shines!

I personally run a Jolly Aggron with a CS. The speed boost really benefits the set, and alot of people dont expect to be outran by Aggron. Using this method iv set up sweeps with head smash. Aggron also has been working out as a counter for Scizzor at the moment as well.

I got a somewhat decent start on a team. Tell me what you think!

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 76 HP/252 Atk/180 Spd
Adamant nature
- Aqua Tail
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Double-edge

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SAtk
Timid nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Shadow Ball

CB Scizor... you know what set to use... lol

Salamence isn't a problem at all, it doesn't switch in safely against any pokemon on my team and is easily revenge kod if it does get in

@ the team above me, I'm not sure why DDtar is the sweeper and Salamence is a wallbreaker, CB Aggron will break just about any wall in the game, except Swampert and Hippowdon, DDtar shares the same weaknesses as aggron, and outside rotom you don't have anything to switch aggron out to (LO salamence won't last long seeing as it'll take 25% every switch, + the attack aimed at gron + 10% every time it hits something). It seems like you're just building a team and tacking Aggron on to the end of it, right down to the second choice bander.

Also, Double Edge and Aqua Tail almost never outdamage Head Smash and EQ, Aqua Tail only hits Hippowdon in OU harder than his other options (and your team should be able to counter the hippo), and even then it isn't guaranteed to 2HKO (14% on the bulkiest set, never without SR on max hp/def, with SR 70% and 8%. Focus Punch, Fire Punch and Ice Punch all give you better coverage, and toxic can hit more than one of your counters

I think we need a different approach to this. lets start by making sure the team can counter Aggrons counters. Hippowdon, Swampert and Suicune all need an answer, you also need a pokemon that can absorb Fighting, Ground and Water attacks well. those pokemon will be the core of your team, once they're done, add a cleanup pokemon and whatever else you need

Not a bad start, but I feel you're putting too much offense into play, and not enough bulk. I'm not too sure about Double Edge on Aggron. Having Tyranitar and Aggron on the same team seems kind of iffy, as you have the same weaknesses, which really isn't that great.

Overall it is a solid effort, I just think the Celetran combo would be much more useful, and provide the team with great bulk.

I personally run a Jolly Aggron with a CS. The speed boost really benefits the set, and alot of people dont expect to be outran by Aggron. Using this method iv set up sweeps with head smash. Aggron also has been working out as a counter for Scizzor at the moment as well.
This could work, but there are few things I am concerned about.
First, even with full atk evs, it will only be 319, which isn't bad by all means but I feel like we wouldn't be using its tremendous power of HS to the fullest potential. Then, there is my concern about its speed, even with CS. You can't even outrun the 100 +natures, which is terrible. :(

This could work, but there are few things I am concerned about.
First, even with full atk evs, it will only be 319, which isn't bad by all means but I feel like we wouldn't be using its tremendous power of HS to the fullest potential. Then, there is my concern about its speed, even with CS. You can't even outrun the 100 +natures, which is terrible. :(
Sorry, but this won't work, as the team is already based around CB, not CS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)