CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

In the interest of having just one submission in the running, I'm submitting the Sandworm concept on behalf of familyguyman and myself as opposed to the Mockturtle.

Supporting material

http://ivnbvn.com/images/sandwormssupport.jpg

I was trying to convey a few things in the supporting material. Firstly, that this thing is a bastard to kill. Secondly, it's deceptive and tricky. Third, it's good with kids (like most Pokemon, right?).

In the last page alone I'm finding lots of submissions that are really cool. I love Keishinkae's Tasmanian devil monster. It takes a very basic mammalian design that could have been handled rather straightforwardly (Ursaring, say), but adds unconventional design elements like that massive hunch of fur and bright orange, making it really stand out for me.

Atyroki's thorny devil conveys a bad ass but collected attitude through its expression and pose, and I really like its proportions. I worry it might be a bit busy in terms of details, but that's something a spriter can work around.

The more I look at scampy's submission, the more I like it. Technically, it's beautifully drawn and rendered, but the underlying design is also really strong. It's simple and appealing, with enough added interest between its rings, amulet and ribbons to keep you glued to the image.

Finally, I'm glad, Calad, you went without the shoulder spikes. The armadillo's plating looks cool and has a nice organic feel to it. It can be tough at times to strike that balance, when designing armor, between a robotic or more natural look, but I think you nailed it pretty well.

Man, I love that sandworm <<

I doubt I'll be submitting thorny devil as my final submission, and if I do it'll probably
be a new take on the design, I've whipped some other stuff up, and it should be up by the end of the day. Wish me luck~

Here's my final submission:

For those of you who missed it in my last post, it's based on Set (or Seth), the ancient Egyptian god of chaos and desert, which seemed fitting to me, anyway. If the elongated snout and flat ears really bug you, it's not so much my fault as it is the ancient Egyptian's- that's just the way they drew Set (see image here) and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Background story/information:
A Pokemon that has been around since the ancient times. As it wanders the desert, a sandstorm of catastrophic proportions, thick enough to nearly completely block out the sun's rays, is always sure to follow behind it. Some claim that the Pokemon simply wishes for humans to respect the desert, while others believe that it to be a malevolent spirit. Regardless of a person's belief, it is customary to make an offering to the Pokemon before journeying through the desert, in hopes of appealing to the Pokemon for a safe trip. There have, however, been a few rumors of individuals who have survived the desert's wrath because the Pokemon led them to the nearest oasis. Despite its seemingly frail appearance and near-goofy looking snout, it is a very capable predator. If it is not able to catch its prey, it drowns the area with a sandstorm and goes after the prey in the sand and darkness.

I happily welcome any comments and constructive criticism. At any rate, unless I get criticism suggesting major changes to the design, this will be my final submission. Hope you guys enjoy.

I meant to upload this earlier, hope I can get it colored by submission day...

Anyway, I present to you... Wolfymon!

...Yes? No? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Here's my final submission.

This is my new favorite: It has a brilliant concept, the coloring is perfect, and is simply awesome. I am, however, slightly concerned that it doesn't look like it could take many blows, which is what a lot of the spreads are leaning towards. I don't want to suggest anything too drastic though, because this is a really great piece of art.

Teh Sandworm

I think the sandworm is perfect for this CAP.

It is unlike many other pokemon, which sport the popular 4-legged style and are mostly mammals/reptiles, or some mix of the two. Also, it is a worm that does not (so far?) evolve into another larger insect-like creature like many other "worm pokemon".

I think the only thing I dont like about it is the second mouth. It looks very out of place and makes it seem alien or even sort of demonic. Something else that might work well could be a anchor-like appendage to keep it from being pulled out of the ground, or something that it could use to help camouflage itself in the sand.

I would have totally submitted something for this CAP along the lines of a worm/centipede, but I dont have the time or supplies to really flesh out any ideas I might come up with.

has anyone thought of a tombstone style for CAP 9?

Though a tombstone could bring up might also be thought of as ghost or rock, you could definitely get away with calling a tombstone dark/ground.

I envision it sort of like a diglett or dugtrio but with tombstones.

My favorite art so far is aragornbird's dust devil, but I can't say definitively until we get through more parts.

Man, I love that sandworm <<

I doubt I'll be submitting thorny devil as my final submission, and if I do it'll probably
be a new take on the design, I've whipped some other stuff up, and it should be up by the end of the day. Wish me luck~
Please submit your Thorny-Devil design! It's incredibly Bad-@$$, and potrays Dark/Ground perfectly!

On another note, I love the sandworm Cartoons! Sure, Mock turtle was pretty cool, but this creature is fantastic! I don't know how, but Sandworm looks incredibly evil and utterly adorable at the same time!

Please submit your Thorny-Devil design! It's incredibly Bad-@$$, and potrays Dark/Ground perfectly!

On another note, I love the sandworm Cartoons! Sure, Mock turtle was pretty cool, but this creature is fantastic! I don't know how, but Sandworm looks incredibly evil and utterly adorable at the same time!
When you look at the whole picture, he's adorable but when you realize he's a big, tough worm with two mouths sporting razor sharp teeth and loves to trap poor Lopunnies you realize he's also pretty dark.

I am so happy I asked Cartoons! And am so glad he is nice enough to follow through like he has. *Is happy*

My snake didn't work for you family. ^.~
On another note, aty your thorny devil is my personal favorite of your drawings.
And for cartoons, I prefer the sandworm MUCH more than I do your mockturtle.

My snake didn't work for you family. ^.~
On another note, aty your thorny devil is my personal favorite of your drawings.
And for cartoons, I prefer the sandworm MUCH more than I do your mockturtle.
I had the idea before I saw yours and, at the time, yours was close enough. Then Cartoons! replied that he would do it so I went through with it.

The Snake is still good though :D

Aurastum's and that one with the snake were also kinda cool. Maci12's looks a bit like a long-snouted Umbreon IMO, no offense, but I think you coulda made so many better ones with Seth... if you're trying with Egyptian gods, why not use Anubis (tho everyone's using it) or even better Sobek (crocodile god)? That'd look cool
Also, I had this idea of making it something like the Dakar logo, you know, like a bedouin, with its bandages trailing away into sand... just sounds cool

Final Submission

I present, the Driller Imp.

I think it fits very well, so I'm rolling with it.

Supporting Material:

They go in order of the original design, it doing some moves I sketched quickly, and a possible shiny image. Comments are welcome!

Wow, that's some really nice supporting material Cartoons!
At first I thought it was a bad idea until I saw those beautiful drawings,
I'm amazed man =O

Aurastum's and that one with the snake were also kinda cool. Maci12's looks a bit like a long-snouted Umbreon IMO, no offense, but I think you coulda made so many better ones with Seth... if you're trying with Egyptian gods, why not use Anubis (tho everyone's using it) or even better Sobek (crocodile god)? That'd look cool
Also, I had this idea of making it something like the Dakar logo, you know, like a bedouin, with its bandages trailing away into sand... just sounds cool
Maybe because Lucario was based on Anubis? I chose Set for a reason- chaos (darkness) and desert. I looked over a large portion of the Egyptian pantheon and Set was the best fit for the Pokemon typing.

I didn't submit any art =P I was commenting on another artist's work (see the thing that says Quote?)

Cadabolg, I really like the Armadillo better; its more original (IMO) and stands out better from the existing art in the thread. The Dingo looks like a combo of Absol (body) & Skitty (Hand-Tail), even though it looks much more badass than both of them. The Armadillo is quite developed, and I think you should roll with it =).

The point of entering this is winning, and I don't know if thorny devil has enough support to win ;~; (Even though I love him)

@Sang: you haves point about set. He was literaly the god of evil
and trickery. Dark typing was pretty much based on that. Though anubises were creations of set and they were the lackeys basically...

@Cartoons: your supporting material made your worm look like a tubby plump
worm on the mount part o-O

The point of entering this is winning, and I don't know if thorny devil has enough support to win ;~; (Even though I love him)
So, I've put in 3 designs without a single comment, and I keep trying! And everyone loves the Thorny Devil, so I would roll with him!

Okay well, I'm still working on some stuff, Thorny Devil is still up in the air but I'm not sure just yet. Thanks for the compliments guys. More designs to come still though.

@Solstice: I suppose you're right, if my brain would pump out more ideas I'd love to submit more work but it hits a block. BTW, you, me and Fuzznip should get together sometime haha.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Okay well, I'm still working on some stuff, Thorny Devil is still up in the air but I'm not sure just yet. Thanks for the compliments guys. More designs to come still though.

@Solstice: I suppose you're right, if my brain would pump out more ideas I'd love to submit more work but it hits a block. BTW, you, me and Fuzznip should get together sometime haha.
Your thorny devil is by far my favorite design. Seriously keep it. There are 24 pages of art. Not everything can have tons of comments. I'm starting to think there are more artist then voters...

That's no way to talk! Your design is among my favorites. Just because people don't comment doesn't mean that they don't care. It just means that it's so awesome that they have nothing to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)