Official Smogon YouTube Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, just a question: When will the Ultimate Cup Finals be up? (and the semis and finals for my tournament too of course :P) I'm just really waiting for them.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry this hasn't been updated in awhile guys. Here is what is going on right now and why there haven't been many updates in awhile.

Locopoke and myself are working out some kinks with approval of videos along with making the channel much cleaner, higher quality in both the videos and editing and stream lining to make sure we don't lose videos. Hopefully we will have everything worked out in the next week and we can go back to getting Smogon matches back up again. So for now, hold tight. Thanks again

Sorry if you guys don't think that this is relevant, but I just wanted to mention something that I already commented on your channel about, but I think that it's important. A large percentage of people on youtube hate smogon, that's not secret, they think that you're a group of pretentious guys who can't beat Garchomp. You would have already noticed this... Many channel comments reflect this view. For that reason, I think that you should create a video that:

1. Outlines how the tier system works (people tend to think that you just choose where everything goes because you want it to be there).
2. Outlines how the voting process works (yet again, people think that you just put Garchomp in Uber because you couldn't beat it, or something similar to that).
3. Explain why Garchomp was considered Uber, show the statistics and things like that, talk about the ridiculous power of YacheChomp, and also mention that the people who voted it Uber mostly were winning with Garchomp to prove their point.

Yeah, we probably will do something like that. Besides the obviously annoying people (who will probably never shut up anyway), it would be useful for people that are too lazy to read about it.

Yeah, we probably will do something like that. Besides the obviously annoying people (who will probably never shut up anyway), it would be useful for people that are too lazy to read about it.
The annoying people will probably read it though. And it might put them in the minority of youtube rather than the majority (not kidding about that one). I know quite a few of these people, so if you want any tips (probably won't need them), just ask. The best advice I can be, is be *really* modest. People of youtube find you guys a bit up yourselves, so you've got to be the polar opposite.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the idea is a good one, however there is a strong chance that it will never happen (being completely honest here). Since I have never been personally involved in tier chances, I can't make a video about it (nor do I care to since I don't play much anymore).

That isn't to suggest that someone can't step up, but I would rather have an Super Mod or Admin (aka Jumpman, Aeolus, RB-Golbat etc.) make the video themselves. And honestly, I don't think they have the time nor the will power to do such a thing. I will bring this up on IRC, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Now I'm sure that other people may be willing to make videos but they need to be of high standards. Meaning content wise, clear message, good speaker etc. It would need to get approved before it ever went up. If anyone wants to go ahead and try to make that video, all the power to you. Just note that it may never go onto the website.

Sorry if you guys don't think that this is relevant, but I just wanted to mention something that I already commented on your channel about, but I think that it's important. A large percentage of people on youtube hate smogon, that's not secret, they think that you're a group of pretentious guys who can't beat Garchomp. You would have already noticed this... Many channel comments reflect this view. For that reason, I think that you should create a video that:

1. Outlines how the tier system works (people tend to think that you just choose where everything goes because you want it to be there).
2. Outlines how the voting process works (yet again, people think that you just put Garchomp in Uber because you couldn't beat it, or something similar to that).
3. Explain why Garchomp was considered Uber, show the statistics and things like that, talk about the ridiculous power of YacheChomp, and also mention that the people who voted it Uber mostly were winning with Garchomp to prove their point.
I want to give it a try,if there's anyone who wants to help.

Maybe it would be better to showcase some great battles from 3-2 (when its up) and comment about the process during/after the battle. That way, you're reminding people that smogon's tier selection is as close to a science as its going to get.

Personally, having watched quite a few of their vids, I'm not too bothered about the opinions of most Wifi battlers (and keep in mind, there are still quite a few who support Garchomp's ban), but if it will attract more people to smogon, all the better.

Maybe it would be better to showcase some great battles from 3-2 (when its up) and comment about the process during/after the battle. That way, you're reminding people that smogon's tier selection is as close to a science as its going to get.

Personally, having watched quite a few of their vids, I'm not too bothered about the opinions of most Wifi battlers (and keep in mind, there are still quite a few who support Garchomp's ban), but if it will attract more people to smogon, all the better.
Although, I don't see why it wouldn't be good for its own video, the idea is to bring in the people who tend to hate smogon, and have no real understanding of how things work, they're probably not going to watch it if it's just on some battle, but have a much better chance if it's called something like "How our Tiers Work (and why Garchomp is Uber)".

@minato: I'm not too good with video making skills, but I should be able to give advice with anything else.

@matty: If minato, or anyone makes a video on it, should you send it over to the supermods to take a look and then if they like it put it up? Or should a script be sent first, that way it would be easier to edit things.

In the event that this comes to fruition, let's wait until 3-2 is over. If we make a video arguing why Garchomp is Uber and it gets voted OU (a very real possibility given how close the voting is), we look like fools.

In the event that this comes to fruition, let's wait until 3-2 is over. If we make a video arguing why Garchomp is Uber and it gets voted OU (a very real possibility given how close the voting is), we look like fools.
Of course, but even if Garchomp is made, I think that it would be good to make the video, so that the youtube community understands the process. Although I'll be out of the country by that stage, so I was mistaken, I probably can't help...

locopoke

Banned deucer.
As you guys have all probably noticed, no new videos have gotten uploaded in a pretty long time. matty and I have been trying to figure out what we need to do to make the videos better.

First of all, the quality of our current videos is pretty bad. This can be improved by switching over to HyperCam2. The quality on that cam is much better than the ones we've been using.

Next, we need a proper Introduction to the videos, not something made on Windows Movie Maker. You guys ("you guys" means anybody) should feel free to submit introductions. Make them, upload them to your youtube account and post the link here so we can all see it. All the introduction needs to say is "Smogon Productions" (or something similar, indicating that this is one of smogon's videos) and anything else you wanna add into the video. Cool effects or sound effects, images or anything that you feel would fit into it. Be creative. Minato., I remember that you had made an introduction last month or something, feel free to post it in this thread so people can give their opinions on it (also add some audio imo!).

That's about it, sorry for taking so long with this project but with some help from you guys we can start uploading videos again.

As you guys have all probably noticed, no new videos have gotten uploaded in a pretty long time. matty and I have been trying to figure out what we need to do to make the videos better.

First of all, the quality of our current videos is pretty bad. This can be improved by switching over to HyperCam2. The quality on that cam is much better than the ones we've been using.

Next, we need a proper Introduction to the videos, not something made on Windows Movie Maker. You guys ("you guys" means anybody) should feel free to submit introductions. Make them, upload them to your youtube account and post the link here so we can all see it. All the introduction needs to say is "Smogon Productions" (or something similar, indicating that this is one of smogon's videos) and anything else you wanna add into the video. Cool effects or sound effects, images or anything that you feel would fit into it. Be creative. Minato., I remember that you had made an introduction last month or something, feel free to post it in this thread so people can give their opinions on it (also add some audio imo!).

That's about it, sorry for taking so long with this project but with some help from you guys we can start uploading videos again.

Okay,I'll reupload it when I'm back from college.Ill post the link here,and I'm trying to get a designer for the YT page,to make it look better.

@ hsb39: Don't worry,I'm actually pretty good with editing and stuff.I'll contact you this weekend to make that video.

EDIT: here is the intro,if you don't like it,let me know,so I can make a new one. Also,I still didn't add any music because I don't know which songs you guys prefer.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Are narrations / annotations going to be going ahead or not, I think I remember someone mentioning it but i don't remember if it was responded to. They wouldn't necessarily have to encompass the entire battle, they could be limited to just key moments / predictions in the battle if wanted.

Are narrations / annotations going to be going ahead or not, I think I remember someone mentioning it but i don't remember if it was responded to. They wouldn't necessarily have to encompass the entire battle, they could be limited to just key moments / predictions in the battle if wanted.

Most people hate narrated videos.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Where are you getting your statistics from? Because everyone I know won't watch a video if it isn't narrated...
I could say the same thing to you.

Eventually we'll try to narrate some matches or do something with narration in the future, but it would probably have to be a very important match.

This is really cool.

Being able to study good battles between good trainer slike this can help people learn a lot about battling.

Most people hate narrated videos.
I could say the same thing to you.

Eventually we'll try to narrate some matches or do something with narration in the future, but it would probably have to be a very important match.
I think that it's hard to tell with either of them, it would probably be worth trying to test a narrated video, and put in the description, say if you prefer this or the others...

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Well I don't think it makes sense to waste our time narrating an average battle. If it's big (like an st6 match or tour 9) then we can try to get narrations from the winner or the person recording it i guess.

I can narrate any average battle you don't want to "waste your time narrating" on. Just let me know.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Alright, I checked out the quality of some of the videos after I editted them in Windows Movie Maker and they were still pretty blurry (this is when they are in wmv. format). I decided to test something out and uploaded a test video in avi. format . The quality is much better (amazing with the HQ option), but Windows Movie Maker automatically turns the video into a wmv. format and makes the quality bad. Does anybody have another Video Editting Program that doesn't totally screw up the quality? If you do please post a download link to it in this thread!! We need to make sure that the quality of the videos is top notch. It would also be cool if this video editting program could keep the videos in avi. format, if not then try to also look for a video converting program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)