Anyone play Gears/Gears 2?

I do, actually. I have recently gotten into gears 2. it's more indepth than most shooters, which caught my attention.

so for anyone who doesn't play it, you should. it's great. for people who don't know what it is- it's a shooter where you are either the cogs, a group of surviviors of the annihilation of the human race by the locusts, a group of aliens, most of which are ugly as fuck, but have the same structure as humans. in the game, you can roll, run, hide behind things, rush to cover behind things, dash to cover, and almost anything you could do IRL to avoid getting shot. when you're shot too much, you get downed (unless it's a one shot ko) and you "bleed out" and die unless someone on your team picks you up. That is is warzone, but most people play execution, in which when you're downed, you get back up unless someone from the opposing team kills you with a finisher (you can curb stomp them, punch them to death, smash their heads with a melee, splatter their body with the shotgun, or bust their head open with any gun.) the shotgun is very overpowered and is often abused due to any 2 close range shots downing you, and a very close range shot splattering in one shot without downing.

so for more advanced things for people who do play...
I play online usually. my favorite level is gridlock, but i enjoy jacinto and mansion. when i play online i usually flank rush with the shotgun and get down 2-3 people a match. My favorite tactic is the 2piece, which is frowned upon. it's frowned upon because it is when you use melee and then shotgun. it doesn't even down them, it is an instant splatter and is very fast. the melee stuns them and they don't have enough time to react when you shotgun them after the melee. I'm a decent sniper, but my blindfiring skills with it surpasses most people.

I don't really know what to say other than that I just attempted GoW2 online and never had been so completely dominated by anything ever in my life. Ever.

Might be time to leave the xbox alone and go attempt life.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Gears of War (2) is probably one of my favorite games, and it is my favorite shooter. I'm not sure why, though. I guess it's because I became a sort of fanboy for it since I'm actually decent at it.

I don't care if you 2piece, camp, grenade tag, etc. It's all fair game to me. The only thing that bothers me is getting my kill stolen once it is downed. I wouldn't say that the shotgun is overpowered. If you just keep your distance and make use of stopping power with the Hammerburst, you should do fine against shotgun rushers.

@Nekada: It can take a while to get used to Gears online. The learning curve is steep I suppose.

I play Gears 2 (probably too much lol) and I'm improving at it. I probably play Guardian most (when not in a party) and I have a 1.1 and now almost 1.2 K/D which I've done well to get up from about 0.7. It's good but not fantastic, though it's better than 75% of other guardian players.

It is a great game though, especially when you have a full party. Lag can be a bitch occasionally though quite frankly, it's not hard to adapt: camp, frag-tag, chainsaw etc if you need to. I find the people who complain against these things funny like the people who employ these tactics are cheating. If you want to apply your own subjective rules to a match then go play a private match.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used to play Gears 1, stopped playing due to (in my opinion) too many flaws in the multiplayer. Still a good play though.

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I occasionally play GoW2, I don't like the Multiplayer too much. But Horde is a great Gametype and is usually what I play on Gears.

I used to be good at the original Gears, as in out sniping people with the Torque Bow when they were sniping me with a Sniper Rifle, but then I stopped playing and then kinda got horrible. But crab walking sure was fun ^.^

GoW2 is pretty fun as well, though to me it doesn't have the same feel and flow as the original one.

i am so awful at the online multiplayer. every time i play i get brutally dominated. i don't know if its because i play other online FPS games where movement doesn't feel as restricted or if i just don't understand the online game mechanics that well or if everyone who plays has been playing nonstop since it came out, all i know is i suck ass at it haha. i also really hate that snow level where the avalanche drops down. i get killed by that so much

I'm not bad at the multiplayer, I mean I have my on and off days (normally the on days are with Host Shotgun :D). I don't care about Tags, Saws and 2Piece as I 2Peice, Chainsaw is only a sod when the game lags like mad and if you fall for an obvious tag then you deserve to be killed.

Worst game ever.

If I have little 1 next to my name why do I get matched against 65's? On top of that it's the most host dependent game there is right now, it has below average graphics, and just overall bad game design.

The first GoW was better.

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gears of War (2) is probably one of my favorite games, and it is my favorite shooter. I'm not sure why, though. I guess it's because I became a sort of fanboy for it since I'm actually decent at it.

I don't care if you 2piece, camp, grenade tag, etc. It's all fair game to me. The only thing that bothers me is getting my kill stolen once it is downed. I wouldn't say that the shotgun is overpowered. If you just keep your distance and make use of stopping power with the Hammerburst, you should do fine against shotgun rushers.

@Nekada: It can take a while to get used to Gears online. The learning curve is steep I suppose.
yeah people are being (BAN ME PLEASE)s and steal kills all the time. i don't really care for it when they were also shooting on the same target, with me downing and him getting the kill. if you don't care about ratio it doesn't matter anyways, you'll still get the full 100 points if someone steals your kill right after you downed it.

gears probably has one of, if not the worst matchmaking system in the history of online gaming. it's just plain horrible. what were they thinking? not to even begin to brag about the lag, which is ruining the game for european players so badly it isn't even funny. then there's the chainsaw which is just *press b in whatever position* en get your chainsaw to suck in the enemy. really how can something designed THIS bad? there are like 100 things i could name to make it more balanced. last but not least there's the bugs. there are a gazillion of them and it takes for fucking ever to get them fixed apparently.

but yeah i play gears, quite alot too, its indeed different from other shooters and i absolutely love that it has such a steep learning curve. but god, this game could be even better, so good even no other shooter could get close to the cool factor gears has.

my gt is cokewalk, if you're up for some public annex or guardian or some private horde, hit me up

edit: @rekt, gears' graphics are absolutely amazing, it don't know what you've been smoking but man, i think gears 2 still is one of the best looking games on xbox360. agreeing on the host dependancy thing though

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although I got the game last year, I just got into Horde this week and it's awesome with friends. Too bad my friends decided to start the same week Uncharted came out. So many games to play, no where close to enough time between that, school, and work @_@

I loved the campaign in both games, never played the GoW 1 online and played the GoW2 online around launch, and the lag / general gameplay was AWFUL. Traded it in a month after release due to that. I've heard it's better now but considering I've gotten rather good at Halo 3, I'd rather play that.

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You guys need to think of this in another way. The game used to be controlled by power weapons where now those are just preferable. This is a smart choice, and for the huge population of XBL players who share the opinion on gears power weapons this may draw me in to the multiplayer.
I don't know what you're talking about. Only the Sniper Rifle changed slightly. Then there's the new Flamethrower, Mortar and Mulcher... And the devs decided the Boomshot needed an extra rocket too. So how are power weapons not preferable anymore? In 9/10 cases, the team with good power weapon control wins the match, it's that important in Gears of War.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)