CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Checkmate. :P Hey, you can somehow...make a rename that goes with a manipulative psychic chess piece, right?

NOw it comes down to what the secondary ability is. Levitate, fine, Checkmate can pull it off. Guts...less so. Likewise, the one Armadillo entry that got a lot of fame could pull off Guts easily, but can't pull off Levitate on its life. So yeah, we REALLY need to get the art done after we decide abilities and stuffs. Movepool should be based on the Pokemon, but yeah. Anyways, let's get back on topic.

The frilled lizard looks cool anyway. While my favorite entry is Checkmate (shameless advertising,) the Armadillo, the Dust devil repose, Ur-turtle, and Dust Devil all caught my eye. The armadillo especially though. He reminds me a little of Sonic. And I just love how cocky you made that thing, Cata.

And Checkmate. :P Hey, you can somehow...make a rename that goes with a manipulative psychic chess piece, right?

NOw it comes down to what the secondary ability is. Levitate, fine, Checkmate can pull it off. Guts...less so. Likewise, the one Armadillo entry that got a lot of fame could pull off Guts easily, but can't pull off Levitate on its life. So yeah, we REALLY need to get the art done after we decide abilities and stuffs. Movepool should be based on the Pokemon, but yeah. Anyways, let's get back on topic.

The frilled lizard looks cool anyway. While my favorite entry is Checkmate (shameless advertising,) the Armadillo, the Dust devil repose, Ur-turtle, and Dust Devil all caught my eye. The armadillo especially though. He reminds me a little of Sonic. And I just love how cocky you made that thing, Cata.
WOAH WOAH WOAH.
CAP is meant to produce competitive Pokemon. Every part of this process contributes to this EXCEPT the art threads. The reason art takes place as other discussions go on is that it doesn't matter competitively. While it may be nice to have art that fits perfectly with the stats, ability, movepool, and typing decided, it is not the purpose of CAP.

For the people who want to postpone art for future CAPs until later in the process, I think that's fine. However, it will most likely make the projects take longer, so keep that in mind.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.
CAP is meant to produce competitive Pokemon. Every part of this process contributes to this EXCEPT the art threads. The reason art takes place as other discussions go on is that it doesn't matter competitively. While it may be nice to have art that fits perfectly with the stats, ability, movepool, and typing decided, it is not the purpose of CAP.

For the people who want to postpone art for future CAPs until later in the process, I think that's fine. However, it will most likely make the projects take longer, so keep that in mind.
Art does factor into the movepool, though, as not every move a CaP learns is competitive. While purely competitive concerns should come first, if a Pokemon doesn't need a move to function well, and it doesn't fit with the art, that move shouldn't be in the movepool. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with adding a move that would see niche use at best if it fits the artwork.

Yeah...I see your point.

BTW, I also realized if we have to, we can rename abilities to fit the concept art better. Example: Steadfast. Neither Cata's armadillo nor Checkmate seem very steadfast to me (if only because the dillo is cocky as heck,) so we rename it to either Injured Pride (armadillo) or Quick Learner (Checkmate). So yeah...

Let's get back on topic. We can bring up pros and cons to policy review for CAP 10.

Final Submission:

Yes, due to me sucking at getting other designs done on time, and because this design is pretty awesome, The THORNY DEVIL will be my final submission.

Unfortunately I have no supporting material either, though I hope my designs badassery will be enough to win you over itself.
I still love your design the best, Atyroki. While a few others have captured my attention, I just love your Thorny Devil. It can also fit all the roles it has been given so far.

The stat spread isn't far off at all. It looks decently speedy, well versed in both attack styles. Vaporeon is about it's size and has a sizeable HP stat. It doesn't look very defensive either. Assuming this wins, it could easily fit any stat polls. The ability isn't farfetched at all either. I can easily see this coming into play, using (Whatever we decide to call Auto-Magic Coat. I've got a few ideas...) and aggressively "backhanding" the status. It seems to fit with his overall "I don't care/You don't bother me at all" attitude.

If Guts wins as a secondary ability, it could make use of that too. Overall, this design caught my attention and has held it, unlike a few early birds in the other CAP competitions.

Mmm... I'm very impressed at the level of skill up in here. Kai, I like your design and I think it has a ton of potential, but its too plain... still you've got tons of skill, so don't get discouraged. Cyzir's design is great, and would probably get my vote, if not for Doug, whos buffalo has absolutely captured me.

Final Submission

I guess I'm done with this design. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, and it's also recieved the most feedback among the 4 I created. As earlier stated, it's based somewhat on Anubis, with numerous tweaks being made to fit the stat spread and make it look as little as Lucario as possible. :P

Anyway, thanks so much to everyone for your feedback, and I'll be looking forward to CAP 10!

Edit: Supporting material

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cap9preevo2.jpg
I was bored, so I drew the first pre-evo of Anubismon. I'm planning for there to be another one.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cap9smcopy.jpg
A picture I just did, showing CAP 9 in its natural habitat. I might write a story to go with it later.

Art does factor into the movepool, though, as not every move a CaP learns is competitive. While purely competitive concerns should come first, if a Pokemon doesn't need a move to function well, and it doesn't fit with the art, that move shouldn't be in the movepool. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with adding a move that would see niche use at best if it fits the artwork.
True,but I think we can both agree that the competitive moves should notbe affected by art.

Final Submission

This is a tad rushed, and the color scheme could be better, but I doubt I could submit it by the deadline tomorrow otherwise.

So anyway, this is the Discus Pokemon. When sleeping, hiding or waiting for a chance to strike it assumes the form of a brown round flat disc with an etching pattern on it. Its head, limbs and the ring around it are extendable and are held together by a dark kind of sand.

In the olden times, people trained them to guard caves, tombs or temples since they blended with the dark rocky floor and were perfect for dealing with trespassers. They could prevent escape, snatch items, conjure billowing sands and spin off any constrictions that may have been placed on it.

In the wild, they are difficult to find as they mostly live in dark caves or the desert. Whether hiding under the sand or behind a boulder's shadow, they rely on ambush and camouflage to get by in the region.

Hmmm... i agree with you KoA (at least about Shaymin)
I can see Mew/Jirachi/Celebi as mystic things that have 100/100/100...

But Shaymin is weird. Besides him (1/493) do you see any other "WTF his stats dont match with art at all"?

And every other CAP`s BSS followed the art. Kit Scy and Strata are fast while Argh Pyro Cyclohm and Revvy are bulky. Fidgit can do a lot of things and looks balanced.

Back to the topic, i prefer Caladbolg`s Armadillo.

ProfPeanut, I'd like so see some supporting material of that pokemon in the supposed discus form it takes when hiding, partly because I'm finding it hard to see how all the 'pieces' can come together in a perfectly-shaped discus.

Final Submission

Alternate pose

My entry is loosely based on the mole. CAP9 is a cocky and arrogant Pokemon that always strives to make itself more powerful. It typically burrows its way into peoples homes (and the occasional ancient tomb) to steal valuables, and what it desires most of all are objects with mystical properties that can help increase its strength.

The amulet on CAP9's head is symbolic of its role in a team. Amulets are objects that supposedly protect the owner from ill effects, which fits CAP9's purpose of "stopping the secondary" pretty well. It also works well with CAP9's custom ability, the Auto-Magic Coat.

The build of my design is pretty general, but I think it fits with the current stat spreads being submitted. It's pretty chunky so has high HP, the pose shows he can be pretty fast, claws show a high attack power... yeah. If you were wondering about the height, I'd say this guy is roughly 5ft tall. The Ground typing is shown by the fact that it's a mole, and the Dark shown by the fact it's a thief (as well as having your typical mean looking eyes). I didn't want to resort to showing types by colours (hence the purple), because personality and concepts are just as important in representing typing as the design itself.

Final Submission

Well thanks to chomzloh I now have a colored version to submit! He wanted to submit it as a joint entry! thanks for all your hard work.

Pokedex Entry: ________ live mostly in desserts were during their search for food the pick up the fossils of ancient pokemon. Pokemon experts has learned a lot from the capture of these pokemon. It's said the old the _______ the more difficult it is to see the actually body of the _______.

I had a lot of fun working on this guy and I really hope is goes over well! I also hope next time I get more time to work on it. Working 8 hours a day puts a damper on ones creative energies.

Final Submission

Yeah, I was gonna do more but I just kept putting it off, and well, looks like I did it for too long. Meh, I think it's fine as it is.

Chomzloh, that's a brilliant concept art right there. I love it, one of my favourites right now. The only thing that I dislike about it is the tail, I don't know why you made the tip look like a leaf. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

My favorites so far ar Scampy's, Atryoki's, KoA's, Doug's, clomzoh's and taicho's. Good luck to all.

Final Submission

Well thanks to chomzloh I now have a colored version to submit! He wanted to submit it as a joint entry! thanks for all your hard work.

Pokedex Entry: ________ live mostly in desserts were during their search for food the pick up the fossils of ancient pokemon. Pokemon experts has learned a lot from the capture of these pokemon. It's said the old the _______ the more difficult it is to see the actually body of the _______.

I had a lot of fun working on this guy and I really hope is goes over well! I also hope next time I get more time to work on it. Working 8 hours a day puts a damper on ones creative energies.
THANK
YOU!
This is such a great design, i didnt want it to go to waste. D:

Final Submission

I call it Anthoris. It can burrow into the ground and scare away pokemon by leaving it's large abdomen showing. One of the things I like about this creature is it's ability to weave web like structures out of rock and stone. It is a very good digger and is intimidating up close. It's multi-jointed legs allow for quick and easy movement through desert sands and rocks.

SUPPORTING ART

The final product
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Chief0072/DONE.jpg?t=1255650659

This is a slightly different pose with some different colors on the face, legs and abdomen.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Chief0072/FinalWork1.jpg?t=1255650634

This is an original scan of it including it using a move I thought of.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Chief0072/scan0001.jpg?t=1255650517

Another scan (first one I did)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Chief0072/scan.jpg?t=1255650576

This is one of the original concepts for it.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Chief0072/spidercap.jpg?t=1255650534

Final Submission

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cap9pkmntaicho.jpg

You perfectly nailed the color scheme I had envisioned. His overall bulk, the bones, and his face all give the dark impression you needed. The colors compliment his typing, environment, and design extremely well. This is one of the ones I will definitely be rooting for in the finals.

WSF's Final Submission

Final Submission, such as is.

Click for full size. Please. A few key things.

My CAP is a brown Pokemon with sand columns for legs, spouted by saddle-like things on its back. (Ground.) It always keeps a link open to the Distortion World (hence, the back melting into a portal). (Dark.) I realize the Distortion world sounds more Ghost type, but who says it can't be Dark, too?

The coloring sucks because: a) When I drew it I shaded it with dark colors using markers and light colors using pencils (stupid, but my only option at that point; b) I scanned it and had to uniform the mess; c) I rushed it and d)I suck at coloring. Anyway, C+C is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)