Skarmory [4N] - Specially Defensive*

Hello everyone! As promised, this would be re-opened once Stage 3 came to an end. As of now the fates of Latias and Manaphy are undetermined, so I will work on adding them into the analysis and removing irrelevant references. MetaNite has also come up with a sexy EV spread, so all credit for it goes to him.

Comments, debates, etc. are welcome!

First, let me say that in the months since jr7 posted, Forretress has overtaken Garchomp in the Ubers tier to get to the 10th spot, which shows that the metagame is certainly becoming more defense oriented. With a game based around entry hazards developing, Forry's spinning abilities are becoming more useful. Still, I would prefer Skarmory on a balanced team revolving around, say, BU Dialga, simply because Skarmory is a better dedicated Spiker. I'd rather leave the Ubers parts to Theorymon, though, who has more experience with the metal bird than me.

Regarding SDef Skarmory: I've tested it since then, and it has its uses. It should probably be listed as a secondary set rather than as the Spiker Standard, because although its easier for Skarmory to Spike on a lot of weaker Special Attackers, you do lose out on some critical physical walling ability (like being 2HKOed by LOGyara and DDMence after a boost). IMO, Forry benefits from an SDef spread more than Skarmory, simply because its so easy for Skarmory to set up Spikes anyways due to its recovery. Forretress has a harder time getting up layers, and it can't really wall much for too long, so the opportunity cost of it having such a spread is lessened.

If Garchomp and Latias enter OU, SDef Skarm will be strengthened, although it will arguably be weaker if Manaphy enters OU, since it can't really take Manaphy's harsh Water-type assaults anyways.

tl;dr: SDef Skarm is cool, and probably the best pure Spiker in the game, but it should definitely be contrasted to the Spiker Standard rather than being hailed as the gold standard.

Go careful, i used to run a
Careful 252 hp 252 Sdf,4 def
it is very deceiving since people think it is physically defensive
~Roost
~Spikes
~Drill Peck
~Whirlwind
I think drill peck should be used over brave bird so you won't lost hits point that you may need to shuffle opponents.

LegacyRaider has discovered a much simpler EV spread than the one I suggested Erodent, that be 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with an Impish nature. LR stated that this yields 17 more Def points while losing only 9 SpD points. As of now, I can't rememeber why those SpD points were important, so I'd use this spread.

I apologize for a repost, but I've deleted 918 words in total >.< There's just so much info that I believe is necessary for this set that there are still a little over 1,000 words remaining. I also deleted a whole bunch of content I felt was "aesthetically pleasing" to read, so if you're suggesting any other changes please don't go overboard with manipulating my writing style, hehe! Peer edits would be appreciated.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Specially Defensive]
<p>Brave Bird is Skarmory's strongest means of offense, threatening Alakazam (I would reccomend removing Alakazam, since it's now UU), Infernape, Breloom, and Heracross, while also striking Gyarados. On the subject of Gyarados, it only has a 32% chance of 2HKOing you with +1 Attack and Stealth Rock in play. Next, Roost cannot be neglected on any of Skarmory's sets. With Spikes, Skarmory turns into a highly supportive team player. Finally, Whirlwind offers Skarmory the pHazing technique, which is useful against Pokemon like Dragon Dance Tyranitar, Dragon Dance Gyarados, or against an incoming switch-in to inflict further residual damage.</p>

<p>Though Specially Defensive Skarmory is not immediately threatened by the likes of Tentacruel and Vaporeon, it does have a number of enemies that it hates. Heatran and Rotom-A can effortlessly switch right into Skarmory, resisting Brave Bird and threatening to OHKO it with their STAB moves. If Infernape comes in on anything except Whirlwind or Brave Bird, Flamethrower or Fire Blast is sure to OHKO Skarmory. Another way to shut the metal bird down is through the use of Taunt. Taunt disables three of Skarmory's moves, usually forcing it to switch out. Bulky Taunt Gyarados will cause myriad problems if Skarmory is unable to Whirlwind it out of play. Other Pokemon that annoy Skarmory include those that can take advantage of its low Speed, including Trick Jirachi or Spore Smeargle. Rapid Spinners like Claydol or Forretress don't take much damage from Brave Bird and can Spin away Skarmory's Spikes if there are already some in play. Finally, Magnezone, Skarmory's greatest archenemy, can cause problems if it switches in on anything except Whirlwind. For this reason, Shed Shell is an acceptable choice of item to equip on Skarmory, as it will allow it to switch out of Magnet Pull.</p>

<p>A number of partners can work alongside Skarmory to create remarkable defensive walling combinations. Latias is a great partner as it resists Electric- and Fire-type moves, which are always threatening Skarmory. In return, Skarmory helps Latias resist Bug-, Dark-, Dragon-, and Ghost-type moves. Skarmory and Latias are both perfectly independent in being able to heal themselves, and because of this they are commonly found in stall teams. Next, Spin Blockers help prevent Rapid Spinners like Starmie from removing entry hazards from the battlefield; if they succeed, then Skarmory's hard work in setting up Spikes will have been for naught. The Rotom Appliances' common presence in stall teams make them great partners to Skarmory, and they can check Gyarados, too. Heatran is also a fantastic Skarmory partner - Fire-type moves that Skarmory attracts can be redirected to Heatran to gain a Flash Fire boost. At the same time, Skarmory is immune to Earthquake and can shrug off Surfs coming from some bulky Water-types. A bulky Ground-type is also generally good at working with Skarmory. Rhyperior is immune to Electric-type moves and resists Fire-type moves. In return, Rhyperior's Ground-, Grass-, and Steel-type weaknesses are covered by Skarmory, who in addition is able to wall some Water- and Ice-type moves to certain extents. (again, the move to UU may warrant removing this sentence) Swampert is another fine partner and tank, and it has less weaknesses than Rhyperior - its 4x Grass-type weakness is nullified by Skarmory's 4x Grass-type resistance. Hippowdon also deserves a special mention because of its Sand Stream ability - Skarmory is unaffected by sandstorm damage. Don't forget the infamous Skarmory, Cresselia, and Blissey combo meant to function as an unbelievably stable defensive core.</p>
Went through the whole thing, and this is all I could find. Nice set, Erodent.

EDIT: After talking to mingot and reading "The Pokemon Dictionary" article, the correct term is phaze, not pHaze. ;]

Impish should be used over Careful. A Steel-typed physical wall being 2HKO'd by Salamence is a shame tantamount to running naked through a retirement community.

Impish minimizes the loss in physical defense, and still lets you take all the hits you need to take. With Impish, Skarmory can take 2 Outrages and Roost off the damage.

With a special spread, Skarmory only loses about 19% of the physicall walling potential it would have had with a physical spread, while gaining about 40% specially defensive potential.

For Forretress, I think Careful works, because of Forry's higher base defenses, but I'm not sure. I use Impish. I agree that someone should write up the spread for special Forretress.
I would agree; anything with a lopsided defense stat like forry skarm or bliss should have its higher defense nature boosted first and foremost to capitalize on the bonus stats it gains.

Here's an example:

1389 (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
---
1398 (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
---

The first skarm is EV'd to absolutely maximize special defensive power. The second is EV'd in a more well rounded way, where its 140 def stat is boosted by 10% (and gains an extra cheap bonus point with 16 evs) and its less than stellar sp def is left to boost in a linear way with EVs.

The most important difference here is the difference in stat grand totals; 1389 and 1398 respectively. The second skarm takes physical hits like a skarm should and squeaks out an extra 9 stat points in the process, which is significant. Remember, with 252 evs in the boosted stat (like the first skarm) you actually automatically get 6 bonus points regardless of the base stat. Even with this in favor of the first set the second skarm wins out with it's 10% boost in the much higher stat.

...all that being said I think it's unnecessary to have an entire other set just for an ev (not even nature) change. This probably belongs in the "EV" section.

Gotcha Xia. Much appreciated :)

Drybones - I'm currently sticking with the EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and an Impish nature. Reasons for it (e.g. Salamence fails to 2HKO with Outrage, many bulky Water-types fail to 2HKO with Surf) have been mentioned in the analysis. I will, at some point, however, mention alternative EV spreads in Skarmory's EV section. This I will have to do through the SCMS once the Skarmory analysis is figured out (it's currently undergoing a conciseness revision).

Thanks guys!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm going to ask if you can concise this a bit too. Seems pretty good otherwise since it was used in Suspect Ladder in Stage 3 from what I hear, and definitely has merit outside of there.

I trimmed down another 248 words, removing a total of 1,166 words since the beginning of the analysis and now. I feel that whatever left in there is important enough to warrant mentions, but I will, of course, respond to any objections ;)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
These two paragraphs:

"The fundamental idea that this set revolves around is simple: come in on neutral or ineffective special attacks from weaker special attackers, and set up Spikes while shrugging off physical attacks that Skarmory can handle. Skarmory's specially defensive capabilities can clearly be seen in the following examples: Bold 0 SpA Vaporeon only does around 35% with Surf; Timid 252 SpA Choice Specs Latias only does around 44% with Surf; Modest 252 SpA Togekiss only does around 32% with Aura Sphere; Bold 0 SpA Suicune only does around 30% with Surf. Most special attacks that are not very effective against Skarmory will do even less! However, don't get too cocky; moves like Thunderbolt and Flamethrower will fell it in no time at all. As such, sending this particular Skarmory in on threats like Heatran and Rotom-A is entirely unreasonable."

And this paragraph:

"Specially Defensive Skarmory is especially adept at taking hits from both physical and special Dragon-type moves. Choice Specs Latias does an average of 48% with Draco Meteor, and it receives a -2 SpA drop afterwards. Similarly, 252 SpA Life Orb Salamence will do around 42% with its Draco Meteor, and a Fire Blast coming from its -2 SpA stat will be unable to OHKO Skarmory. Draco Meteors coming from Dragonite and Kingdra will do even less damage. Skarmory is also able to wall Outrages and Dragon Claws with ease, taking around 32% from non-boosted Life Orb Salamence's Outrage, one of OU's strongest Outrages. This Skarmory also makes a reliable check to Calm Mind/Surf Latias, able to phaze it with Whirlwind while taking around 43% from a +1 Surf. Skarmory can also combat 80 SpA Flygon, but Fire Blast will unfortunately 2HKO it. Choice Scarf Flygon's standard U-turn, Fire Punch, and Outrage will do very little to it, though, and Skarmory's immunity to Ground-type moves helps. Generally, Specially Defensive Skarmory will have an easy time with Grass-types whose main forms of offense lie in Grass Knot and Leaf Storm, Choiced Psychic-types locked onto the wrong moves, and even EdgeQuake abusers. Moreover, 80 SpA Blissey will do only around 35% with Flamethrower, allowing Skarmory to set up on it while Roosting."

They seem to cover roughly the same things (it can take special attacks better). Perhaps you can merge and shorten these two paragraphs?

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Just curious, are the defensive ev's so absolutely needed that you absolutely can't run any speed? All of the other skarm sets run speed, meaning that you will absolutely lose to other skarms in ww wars as well as most ttar.

Gotcha Colonel, thanks for that. It really helped - I trimmed down another ~130 words. Do you see anything else I should trim?

scofield, investing EVs into Speed makes you more prone to getting 2HKOed by Gyarados and other Pokemon who deal around the range of ~44% with their moves. This is something Skarmory can't afford!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)