Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 20 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is hydro-pump viable on palkia, and the analysis just hasn't been updated yet?

Yes you can play the mixed rain sweeper Palkia for example like this:
Palkia @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timd Nature
~ Surf / Hydro - Pump
~ Spacial Rend
~ Aqua Tail / Outrage
~ Thunder

You can play Hydro Pump as an alternative to Surf.

Coldeye, use the analysis. I'm getting fed up with you just constantly posting standard movesets in here. Putting a question mark on the end of a standard moveset does not make it a question.

That said, SD Gallade needs Shadow Sneak. Use it over Ice Punch or Psycho Cut.
OK. sorry, I'll stop doing so...
That said, is Shadow Sneak worth losing Psychic STAB for? It's damage outpot is so poor even CC deals more to Psychics...

Is there a list of optimal IV spreads for various Hidden Powers on various legendaries? I have not been able to find a real explanation of the limitations on their IVs, and it's always an annoyance going back and forth between Team Builder and an IV calculator.

That said, is Shadow Sneak worth losing Psychic STAB for? It's damage outpot is so poor even CC deals more to Psychics...
Ice Punch is awful on Gallade. Hits only Altaria and Torterra, both who are rare, and the latter is beaten by CC anyways.

There are two Gallade sets in UU that work, if you want to sweep.

LO w/ SD/CC/SS/Psycho Cut or Lum w/ SD/CC/SS/Leaf Blade (or Stone Edge)

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Res, assuming you're using ShoddyBattle, if you try to save your team with invalid IVs, a box will; pop up that describes the different ways the Pokemon's IVs can be manipulated to keep that Hidden Power.

Ice Punch is awful on Gallade. Hits only Altaria and Torterra, both who are rare, and the latter is beaten by CC anyways.

There are two Gallade sets in UU that work, if you want to sweep.

LO w/ SD/CC/SS/Psycho Cut or Lum w/ SD/CC/SS/Leaf Blade (or Stone Edge)
Goodness, now do you see why "I don't read the analysis"? "Ice Punch is highly reccomended"-yah sure! Grass has very poor coverage anyway, "and CC would eliminate Water anyway"-on wait, Ice moves are for those who resists Fighting, such as, say, the infinte Flyers in UU?! Was it the Sog magazine to rate Ice the the second-best attacking type in UU?
And this is for OU anyway.
Don't expect me to bother even reading this nonesense next time, offer something reasonable or ignore my posts!

Goodness, now do you see why "I don't read the analysis"? "Ice Punch is highly reccomended"-yah sure! Grass has very poor coverage anyway, "and CC would eliminate Water anyway"-on wait, Ice moves are for thise who resists Fighting, such as, say, the infinte Flyers in UU?! Was it the Sog magazine to rate Ice the the second-best attacking type in UU?
And this is for OU anyway.
Don't expect me to bother even reading this nonesense next time, offer something reasonable or ignore my posts!
most of the Flyers in UU are Flying/Normal, meaning they eat a neutral CC at 180 BP, as opposed to 150 BP for a super effective Ice Punch.

the two pokemon that 031ap mentioned are the only pokemon that Ice Punch hits for more damage than a neutral CC.

Shadow Sneak is used to help fix Gallade's mediocre speed, and hits fragile pokemon hard after a Swords Dance.

you might want to try and be less hostile if you ever want anyone to give you advice ever again. i don't think anyone would be butthurt if you stopped "bothering" them. :toast:

EDIT: and Grass actually has pretty good coverage in NU/UU, with all the Rock, Water and Ground pokemon running around.

Shadow sneak is pririty. It means that things like mismagius can't come in on a swords dance and just ko you.

Claydol? Bug/Flying combos? Jumpluff? Tropius? Xatu? Crobat? Parasect? Drifblim? Grass/Poison? Execcutor? Nidos? Metagame? Sure, Calydol is wesk to LB, the Poison-types to Psycho Cut and Bugs to SE, but Ice Punch hits all of those at once, not only saving moveslots (expecially on SD Gallade who has a serious moveslot syndrome), but also making walls think twice about switching in.

ColdEye: When we say "simple question," we don't necessarily mean as few words as possible. Something like "SD Gallade SD/CC/Ice Punch/Psycho Cut?" doesn't really give enough information as to what you are trying to ask, so if you are going to ask a vague question, you should expect the standard answer of "go look at the smogon analysis."

If you want clearer, more specific answers/advice, next time, you should say right from the start that you planned on using it in OU (so the answers wouldn't be for UU threats), and you should mention what the other members of the team consist of (because Gallade's moveset will/should depend heavily on what your team is weak to and what you team already has covered), and potentially their movesets if you have thought through that already too.

Hope that helps.

OK, sorry...
Is Ice not as good in UU? I noticed that myself before, but still...
Also, am I the only one to think Mamoswine is an Ice-type version of Metagross? But are big, fat OUs with a mammoth (lol pun)-sized physical attack stat, and both have a secondary typing to nullify a major weakness (Mamoswine to Rock, Metagross to Fighting.

OK, sorry...
Is Ice not as good in UU? I noticed that myself before, but still...
correct. Ice is not as good in UU.

plus, on something like Gallade that only has access to a low-powered ice move, while having a very high-powered STAB, it's often redundant.

Also, am I the only one to think Mamoswine is an Ice-type version of Metagross? But are big, fat OUs with a mammoth (lol pun)-sized physical attack stat, and both have a secondary typing to nullify a major weakness (Mamoswine to Rock, Metagross to Fighting.
Yea, that's definitely only you. Mamoswine is really in no way similar to Metagross. Metagross has great typing and defensive stat distributions, something that Mamoswine would only wish to have. Mamoswine's typing of Ice/Ground does not dismiss it from rock type. Rock does neutral to Mamoswine, and Stealth Rock does neutral entry damage to Mamoswine. Only special trait Mamoswine has is its immunities to Sandstorm and Snow Hail.

Yea, that's definitely only you. Mamoswine is really in no way similar to Metagross. Metagross has great typing and defensive stat distributions, something that Mamoswine would only wish to have. Mamoswine's typing of Ice/Rock does not dismiss it from rock type. Rock does neutral to Mamoswine, and Stealth Rock does neutral entry damage to Mamoswine. Only special trait Mamoswine has is its immunities to Sandstorm and Snow Hail.
Mamoswine's Ice/Ground.

No, definitely not. Mamoswine does not gain many moves that Metagross can, and vice versa. They are similar in terms that they both have a STAB priority move (Ice Shard and Bullet Punch respectively). They're Attack stats are also quite similar. Metagross has Trick and Agility as extras which Mamoswine would never have.

However, in terms of typing, Metagross has the upper-hand. With Psychic/Steel typing, only Fire and Ground moves are SE. But with Ice/Ground, the weaknesses are - Water, Fighting, Fire, Steel, Grass just to name a few. All of them have quite standard moves (Waterfall/Surf, CC, Fire Blast, Bullet Punch and Leaf Storm/Grass Knot).

To sum it up, no, Mamoswine cannot be the 'Ice-type version of Metagross'. It doesn't have the defenses like Metagross to pull it off. Mamoswine should just be played the way it's supposed to be and not copy how Metagross is played.

Before I state my question, I'll say that I looked at Smogon's move analysis, and also bulbapedia, and both have conflicting information. How many turns does Taunt last in DP? Smogon says 3-5, and Bulbapedia (and the in-game move description, for that matter) says 2-4.

Yes, the only real exceptions being Deoxys-A and azelf
Iv'e always noticed Psychics tend to have immense supportive movepool-Alakazam and Gardevoir for example, but how is it superior on the defensive edge? Is that why people say Psychic is a bad attacking type?

Iv'e always noticed Psychics tend to have immense supportive movepool-Alakazam and Gardevoir for example, but how is it superior on the defensive edge? Is that why people say Psychic is a bad attacking type?
Psychic is a bad attacking type because of the 1 immunity and 2 resistances, hitting only fighting and poison super effectively. Defensively, it resists Fighting and Psychic, so it isn't much better there either, its just psychic types tend to have great secondary typings/stats/abilities/movepools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)