Driving Test

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last November I began learning to drive with my father. I applied for my Provisional License, and got myself insured on my father's car so I could learn the basics of mechanical driving. Months past, and I inquired for professional driving lessons to help me with the "ins and outs" of the whole scheme. I figured I needed someone who could help me pass my test, more so than helping me learn to drive. 11driving lessons forward, and my theory test was passed and my instructor immediately booked my practical test.

It's come around so fast, as my test is just days away (this Friday). I am worried everytime I think about it. I reassure myself constantly: "Don't worry, goodness. I know I can drive, so there's no need to panic". I regular find myself asking everyone about their experiences and thoughts on the matter, just to get as much information about the system as I can.

So, I am interested to hear your experiences, advice, et cetera.

Oh boy, I was at an intersection during my driver's test and a giant truck had to come in from a turn on my left. I backed up to give him room, and it wasn't quite enough. His tire got stuck on my bumper cover and the dude giving the test had to get out and remove the bumper cover. I then waited about an hour, figuring I failed or would have to take the test again, while the accident was being sorted out. I passed, got 1,000 bucks insurance money (repair: free). So if a truck comes to get you, give him as much room as possible. Unless you want 1000 bucks.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My test went pretty smoothly and it only lasted maybe 20 minutes. I expected it to be worse but it wasn't so bad. So don't worry, as long as you are a competent driver you'll do great.

Not sure about where everybody else is, but in the US (Illinois) the driving test was ridiculously easy (like a goat could get a license probably.) My test was very short, the only tricky part was remembering the procedure for parking up/downhill. The biggest thing is to just relax, and if something unexpected comes up keep a level head. Most driving situations are common sense, really.

It's harder in the UK I've heard. (I forget who but someone who has taken both said so.) I haven't learnt to drive yet (mum doesn't drive, so it's gonna be expensive to learn), but I know it's quite common to not pass first time over here. You don't have to be flawless though.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Is the licensing board in ontario/toronto still on strike? I heard a while ago on the news that "young drivers would be unable to get there licenses for a short period". But just today somebody at my school said they were still on strike and would be till december(not that that affects me that much considering I wouldn't be able to get it until december anyways), and I was curious if they were right.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I totally should have failed my drivers test: a. I was a horrible driver; b. I was female.

(hahaha, jokes.)

Seriously, I hadn't really driven before (and I was 20, wtf?!), I never read the stupid manual; I just made my friend take me one day; sat down at the written exam and went straight to the practical test and was super nervous throughout the whole thing. Then during my driving test we had to go through this really confusing construction zone, and then I took the wrong turn (went into a mall parking lot), hahaha. Yeah, I took my driving instructor for a ride...

Classic times...

I think the instructor felt bad for me, and luckily I haven't gotten in an accident, it's been four years. Although... I have ran over a ladder.... which knocked out my oil pan. :(

My driving test lasted all of five minutes. I drove up the road, backed up in a straight line, and drove back. Driving is pretty easy, really; just don't be intimidated, and always drive defensively. (Tip: don't speed during your test.)

Blackhawk11

one on one
My driving test lasted all of five minutes. I drove up the road, backed up in a straight line, and drove back. Driving is pretty easy, really; just don't be intimidated, and always drive defensively. (Tip: don't speed during your test.)
Bolded is definately an important point, also, be wary of yellow lights (I've been to Australia and they had them, so I assume that red/yellow/green lights are relatively global). I'm American, so my test was probably much different than yours will be, but that advice is huge. In America, we get a limit as the the number of bad points we can accumulate (25?), and the majority of mine were running close yellow lights and speeding.

If you are allowed to have a parent/guardian in the car (I needed to have one, but whatever) have them start a conversation with the person administering the test. It makes the administrator less aware of what's actually going on :naughty: . If parents aren't allowed, then have the radio on in the background (not too loud or you'll miss his instructions). That will surely get any reasonably social person talking.

Always overexagerate when you look in mirrors/blind spots. Don't just move your eyes, slightly move your entire head so that the instructor knows you are checking. (I also got several points for 'not' checking my blind spot)

Last but not least, be calm. You'll do fine. You've been on the road before, this is just the same as that. You have to be a really bad driver to fail your test. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, and I can't stress enough to be calm while you're driving.

Hopefully driving tests in England are similar to the one I took, or else I just typed up a big post for nothing. >_>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Driving tests are almost completely a function of how nice the person at the DMV is, at least in my state.

Just a few things. There's no reason to go above the speed limit, as there's no time limit or anything so why would you? Check your blind spot when in doubt, do what the instructor says, and just get it over with. The #1 reason you'll fail is your own nerves, and it's really not that big of a deal.

My experience of the English driving test was fine. Just do everything the way that your driving instructor told you to do. Take everything slowly, they generally don'tmind how long you take, as long as you don't create any dangerous situations.

I don't think I went above 20 in the whole thing.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Despite being a pretty good driver I probably should've failed my test too. I had to parallel park four times because each time, even though I went through the motions correctly, I ended up way far from the curb. I blame this on practicing with cones that were really far from the curb but whatever.

Here are my tips for the test (I'm American so everything might not be exactly the same but they'll still help I hope!):
-When you come to a stop sign, come to a full stop and wait for a moment (lol). Make sure you stop before the line.
-When you're going around a loop (we have a semi circle on the course near us), try to use hand-over-hand steering. I didn't do this and the instructor had me do it again but he didn't care enough to fail me.
-When you turn out of your parallel parking spot (in America they have you K-turn out) remember to turn on your turn signal and look all over the place basically, as if a car was coming.
--This is really only for the course near me but just a tip... There sometimes tricky stuff, so watch out for it. In our course you stay in your car in a line of people waiting and you'll end up next to the little house thing (where parents stay I guess lol) pretty close to a stop sign. A lot of people go through the stop sign because it's so close to the car and they immediately fail!
-Look to see if the instructor puts on his seat belt and/or touches your emergency brake. I didn't see my proctor come into the car and turn my emergency brake on, so I started driving with it on -_-
-Check all your mirrors and such before you go.

Last but not least try to remain calm! Good luck and I hope this helped a bit.

Just chill out, dude. I've supported 2 friends on their driving tests, and they went fine. The main point is to STAY CALM (i actually had to slap one of them beforehand, he was a pile of nerves). Nothing's gonna happen.
If you want a ip, try driving like you were in the pimpmoblie: slowly, steadly and with smooth turns, just as if there was a hot babe in every corner :)

Driving test was pretty easy for me. Just don't turn at red lights (even if you don't see the stupid sign). Don't speed, and look. Look a lot. I know where I took if you don't visibly look both ways at the intersection 3 times they can fail you. If you're a guy, wear a cap, if you're a girl, go for a ponytail.

And if you suck at one section (ie parallel parking), just do what I did. Give up like 3 ft away from the curb. The only thing is that you don't hit the cones. If you spend like 10 min going back and forth and back and forth, they fail you for that anyway. If you don't get it in first 1 or 2 tries, just give up, and pass the others. :)

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine. And I'm awesome enough to back that up. :D

one tip I got from my instructor back when I did my test, is if you make a small (but obvious) mistake, like getting in the wrong lane at a stupidly designed roundabout, make sure that you say something that acknowledges it as a mistake, then the examiner will probably only give you a minor rather than a serious which you could get, as they know you know it is a mistake and probably won't do it again.

and remember that it is incredibly hard to actually fail the test on general driving, just really bone up on the manouvres! On my test I was doing close to 50 in a 30 limit, I completely fucked up a roundabout (went onto it at about 40, stalled halfway round, tried to exit in the wrong lane) but still passed the test fairly easily!

I wrote this post before I realized that you were from England. England's rules for getting licensed are MUCH stricter than America's as a general rule so I'm not sure how much this will apply to you.

If you are allowed to have a parent/guardian in the car (I needed to have one, but whatever) have them start a conversation with the person administering the test. It makes the administrator less aware of what's actually going on :naughty: . If parents aren't allowed, then have the radio on in the background (not too loud or you'll miss his instructions). That will surely get any reasonably social person talking.
Have to quote this to make sure you don't actually try this. Your goal is to not piss off the traffic cop. Do not talk to him (unless about driving if you really must) and certainly do not turn on the radio. Common sense. :)

-When you come to a stop sign, come to a full stop and wait for a moment (lol). Make sure you stop before the line.
And stop gradually. I lost points because I wasn't used to stop signs, and stopped too quickly (multiple times).

-When you turn out of your parallel parking spot (in America they have you K-turn out) remember to turn on your turn signal and look all over the place basically, as if a car was coming.
I lost points for this too. I actually did hit a cone too but the instructor only faulted me for not using my turn signal.

These two tips are important:

Always overexagerate when you look in mirrors/blind spots. Don't just move your eyes, slightly move your entire head so that the instructor knows you are checking. (I also got several points for 'not' checking my blind spot)
-When you're going around a loop (we have a semi circle on the course near us), try to use hand-over-hand steering. I didn't do this and the instructor had me do it again but he didn't care enough to fail me.
Hand-over-hand at most every intersection if you don't want to lose points.

Is the licensing board in ontario/toronto still on strike? I heard a while ago on the news that "young drivers would be unable to get there licenses for a short period". But just today somebody at my school said they were still on strike and would be till december(not that that affects me that much considering I wouldn't be able to get it until december anyways), and I was curious if they were right.
Yup. All of my friends are extremely pissed because they can't get their G2s because of the strike. :(

I haven't taken driver's training yet (I know it's not require to get your G2, and enough time has passed since my G1 test to get my G2 but... I need training, and it lowers your insurance. So, yay) but have been practicing with my dad on empty-ish roads and driving around suburbs (Barely any other cars).

The biggest problem I make is my turns are either a) too tight, therefor I turn into the wrong lane lol or b) not tight enough, so I end up driving onto the curb. I really need to find that sweet spot... I go too fast into turns which really screws me up. I've only gone like three times, so hopefully the next time I go I can make my turns better. They have been better, but it's small and gradual...

Also, stuuuupid crescents (Ya know those streets that end in a roundabout). It's like, my number weakness (turning properly lol) except super-extended. :| Bleh. lol

Why would you ever try to learn to drive for a driving test and not to drive well? I certainly hope you failed to get your license!

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the best advice i can give is to be relaxed, because people are better drivers when they are. when i took my 3rd driving test i fucked up one of the maneuvres, at which point i knew i failed so there was no longer anything to be nervous about. my driving was better after that than it was before lol

After reading a bunch of these posts, I now understand why there are so many idiots on the road. You people just fail the test over and over until you finally pass it. What a bunch of BS.

Passing these tests clearly has no effect on whether or not a person is a good driver or not. They might as well just give you free driver's licenses in Cracker Jacks boxes.

A few months after you get your liscence you'll realize that the driving test is an absolute joke. Way too easy.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After reading a bunch of these posts, I now understand why there are so many idiots on the road. You people just fail the test over and over until you finally pass it. What a bunch of BS.

Passing these tests clearly has no effect on whether or not a person is a good driver or not. They might as well just give you free driver's licenses in Cracker Jacks boxes.
I was shocked at how easy my driving test was, honestly. It didn't test anything that made me a good or bad driver, and my instructor basically refused to take points off where I should have received a penalty. I think I am a respectable defensive driver, but my driving test did nothing to indicate this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)