CAP 9 CAP 9 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations for the community for creating a great addition to CAP!
(Though admittedly I was only lurking this round.)

I have a question/suggestion though:
Is it viable for the CAP playtesting to occur in Shoddy, Smogon University Server Unrated Battles..
That way we could really see its effect on the OU metagame, which is ultimately the goal of the project.. reasons for this would be the 1) greater traffic of battlers 2) the OU metagame in the SU server independent of the CAP 3) battlers in SU have teams not tailored to CAP, which i believe CAP players may unknowingly incorporate in making their Playtesting teams. it will just take a week or two, and the gap between successive CAP playtest is only a few weeks, so it ain't that bad.. the CAP metagame (with all nine of them) will of course be in CAP server ^^

hope i made myself clear
and please don't flame me for this (if this happens to be an unintelligent post)

Doug, wen r cap 10? :nerd:

Eh, seriosuly though, this was pretty fun. Plus did a very good job of TL, and the whole process went pretty smoothly.

Rebound... I was thinking it's be nice to have the ability something to do with the blubber - he is a whale after all. Something like "Blubber Bounce". Rebound is pretty much fine though...

In any case, I'm looking forward to testing this guy out. I think I might try him out on a team with Crobat; Bat's superfast taunt helps with the overall concept, and if they do the job properly Crobat won't have Stealth Rock to worry about. But, more notably, they do a quite decent job of covering each others weaknesses: Crobat has a 4x resist to three of Colossoil's weaknesses (fighting, grass, bug) while Colossoil is immune to two of Crobat's weaknesses (Psychic, Electric) and resists another (Rock). They share an Ice weakness, and water still stings a bit, but that could be easily alleviated with a water type of some sort. Thoughts?

Congratulations for the community for creating a great addition to CAP!
(Though admittedly I was only lurking this round.)

I have a question/suggestion though:
Is it viable for the CAP playtesting to occur in Shoddy, Smogon University Server Unrated Battles..
That way we could really see its effect on the OU metagame, which is ultimately the goal of the project.. reasons for this would be the 1) greater traffic of battlers 2) the OU metagame in the SU server independent of the CAP 3) battlers in SU have teams not tailored to CAP, which i believe CAP players may unknowingly incorporate in making their Playtesting teams. it will just take a week or two, and the gap between successive CAP playtest is only a few weeks, so it ain't that bad.. the CAP metagame (with all nine of them) will of course be in CAP server ^^

hope i made myself clear
and please don't flame me for this (if this happens to be an unintelligent post)
They generally close down the regular CAP ladder and restart it with only the tested CAP being able to be used (in this case, Colossoil). So it will have the same effect of what you're saying, but in a much easier to do and traditional way.

Well, here comes playtesting!

I want to find out if Moonlight breaks this thing or not. It's certainly the 2nd most contrevertial move (Other than the Fangs, grouped as one). I also want to see how Dark/Ground works out. As we know, it has weaknesses, but will it's resists and immunities pull CAP9 through?

Needless to say, with the amount of input I put into this CAP...even if only one poll went my way, I want to test CAP9 to it's fullest. I have a feeling, that it'll either be a roaring sucess, possibly bordering on Uber, or an utter faliure, I don't see a middle ground for this guy.

Well done.

I, too, would like to congratulate Plus on his role as TL, if only for growing a pair and taking an active role in proceedings.

I'm confident that Colossoil won't prove overpowering (and if it is, we can always nerf it), but I'm even more confident that we've done an excellent job in making it.

Congratulations to everyone on another successful CAP. I'm gonna jump in with everyone else, and congratulate and thank Plus on his major role here for being what a team leader should be. Looking forward to running a full out offensive Collossoil when the time comes.

You load 9 CAPs, what do you get? Another day older and deeper in dept...

Yay, another CAP done! To bad I won't be taking part in the early playtesting... then again, I'd have to make room for CAP9 on my Sandstorm team, and that isn't easy. (I'd likely take out Fidget.)

Hmm, I have an interesting question:

If you use Rebound while holding Toxic/Flame Orb, does the effect bounce to the opposition, or does it stay on Collosoil?

I guess it stays on Colossoil. Magic Coat only reflects the effects of opponent's moves, not item and ability effects, so Rebound should do the same.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If anyone wants to discuss pre-evos and other stuff like that -- do it in the CAP Kitchen, not here please.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You load 9 CAPs, what do you get? Another day older and deeper in dept...

Yay, another CAP done! To bad I won't be taking part in the early playtesting... then again, I'd have to make room for CAP9 on my Sandstorm team, and that isn't easy. (I'd likely take out Fidget.)
A reminder to all: please realize that Colossoil is going to be tested in isolation with the rest of the CAPs, and will only be playtested in OU. After 3 weeks of playtesting, Colossoil will then be put with the rest of the CAPs for playing. Do not consider any CAPs other than Colossoil when making teams at the moment.

An amazing CAP to boot, and an amazing process it was! The way things went so smoothly from the start to the awaited end really outperformed every expectation I could have.

Plus did his job like almost no one else in CAP history, IMO. As others said, he step in at the most critical moment (after all, the CAP project was coming out of one of its more drastic overhauls), when the pressure on the TL was as high as ever. But despite that, he managed to pull off a great CAP9, and easily (as Plus himself said) one of the best CAPs in history (maybe even better than Fidgit!)

Thank you also to everyone else who contributed to the project, and although I don't be able to be as active as I'd like to in this test because I'm spending most of my time on the UU ladder atm, maybe I will find time to try this!

Testing this guy should be quite fun. I have to wonder if Fling could find its way onto a Flame Orb abuse set. Pretty much nothing that would switch into Colossoil is going to like the burn, and Colossoil definitely doesn't need the Orb once he's been burned. Also gives him effective Trick immunity, since he can Fling off any choice items he inadvertently receives.

Also, a few quick questions about Rebound. Will it reflect Intimidate, in the rare occurance that Colossoil double switches into an Intimidater? Will it reflect the poisoning effect of Toxic Spikes? Does Mold Breaker nullify it? If Colossoil switched into an Umbreon using Toxic, would it reflect the Synchronized Toxic?

I'm pretty sure these are the only ability-related interactions that could come up. Also, while the last 3 really have no precedent, the first one could actually be tested ingame. Just use Magic Coat on the same turn the opponent U-Turns/BPs to an Intimidater. If the -1 attack gets reflected, Rebound should reflect Intimidate.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AMC only works on the switchins, so no. It's pretty much like using Magic Coat first turn similar to how an Intimidate lead would lower attack first turn; however, magic coat only works when the opponent does a move first.

Even then, Magic Coat does NOT reflect taunt or sr. Look here for more info on what magic coat does.

great article explaining to the newcomers how CAP9 was made Plus. Congrats for you
Also, congrats for the whole people who made such a wonderful CAP. It`s amazing how we are filling (or trying to, at least) some holes that can be seen in the current metagame.
And, once more, congrats Plus for being our manager and being so fast ( You said not so fast, but its just because the threads took a long time. I havent seen a single day of inactivity by your part.

Of course, by stopping the secondary, the "primary" will become more effective. I see a growth of Luke/Gyara usage (even though Luke is weak to Colo EQ).

Colossoil looks like the offspring of Kyogre and Groudon. Just my thoughts. Anyways, great job on it. I wish I could have been more involved, but it turned out great! :)

I have to admit, even though a lot of decisions didn't go my way on this CaP, it is my first CaP process, and I enjoyed it, hah.

Hopefully, this adds a good element to the metagame.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have Colossoil working on my development server, and coding is progressing nicely. Here's a screenshot of a private test battle:

I have to iron out a few complications with the new ability. But, with a little luck, I hope to have this running on the CAP server later today. Get ready!

Colossoil looks great, I can't wait to playtest him! (Assuming that I can get Shoddy on my school labtop...)

Rebound is a fine name alright, but Blubber would be so much cooler.
I was actually thinking Land Blubber as Colossoil it's also a pun on landlubber, but I'm not entirely convinced of that name myself and Rebound does seem like an OK name.

Making it so weak to Grass Knot severely impedes Colossoil's ability to Stockpile successfully.
If Grass Knot has 120 base power, then Colossoil's Grass Knot weakness is no worse than its Hydro Pump weakness or Close Combat weakness or Megahorn weakness.

Anyway, it's kind of a good thing that playtesting isn't too far off now because regular OU has become boring, UU is too unstable for me to do anything and I can't play Ubers for shit. I've been thinking about some Colossoil movesets I could run, including a Life Orb Rest Talk set (don't ask), because I know that we did have several arguments about whether giving Colossoil certain tools would make it broken but the problem with arguing about whether or not a pokemon that doesn't yet exist is broken should have been obvious from the very beginning: there was never any conclusive evidence. What I plan to do therefore is collect evidence to prove or disprove the claims I made throughout this project.

Max HP Metagross: OHKO'ed by Collosoil... while it only takes 33% from CB Bullet Punch...

What a good start, that's without GUTs active or a band...and we don't have the EV spreads/nature...

Looks slightly broken, possibly, that power and that bulk... but Metagross is weak to ground... despite it's high def and HP...

Let's hope that's not the tip of the iceburg... looks dreadfully bulky and powerful right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)