OU RMT: Evolution. ranked #9

With a day off from being sick, I decided to take advantage of the relatively low ladder scores and climb in the rankings a bit, and after a very boring time I finally reached top 10 with my Alt, DAVE333. This current version has gone through a very twisty road that started as heavy offensive and gradually moved into bulky offense again. As you can see, I take full advantage of popular OU pokemon, as well as the deadly Dragon+Steel combo. It fully abuses STAB Draco Meteor as well, the move just wrecks everything except Blissey. Surprise is something that it does very well, and I use a few unorthodox sets here and there to surprise my opponents, often drawing free kills. Still, even when my opponent is aware of what I use, it is a very reliable team that can keep pressure on pretty well.

This team does a great job against most teams, but it can have its struggles against stall; me vs. stall is a game based completely around how well we can predict what my Mixmence does, and whether or not Blissey dies.

So let's begin:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Clear Body
252 HP/220 Atk/36 Spe
Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Stealth Rock

Probably the iffiest member of my team. Great lead, no doubt, 3 attack Metagross is. With my extra speed EVs and Lum Berry, he beats most sleep leads, Metagross leads, Azelf, Aerodactyl, etc. The list goes on. Very reliable at getting the rocks up. The fact that he doesn't have Explosion can suck at times but it keeps my opponents wary if they think he has it. It does mean however, that he'll be sticking around longer, and his typing and bulk are usually very helpful even late game.

The moves combine some decent coverage and the ability to eliminate a lot of common leads, and of course SR is so necessary on my team to punish switches a bit.

Pretty standard EVs but I go for quite a lot of speed, just to make sure I get the leg up on majority of Metagross, Scizor, Tyranitar, Machamp, etc. I face.

Lum is chosen for those damn sleep leads and Machamp; Infernape, Heatran, etc. are all easily dealt with since I have 4 Fire resists.

I say Metagross is my weak link because of this: he means free spikes for Skarmory/Forretress, who are in turn free switch ins for Salamence. Then emerges the Mixmence vs. Stall issue I have. Empoleon is another lead I'm considering, although he certainly doesn't help my Blissey troubles. Could use help here.

Currently Testing Shucatran lead: It works decently but he does lose to a lot more; sashed sleep leads are kinda annoying.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Sand Stream
156 HP/100 Atk/192 Spe/60 SpA
Brave
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Flamethrower

Tricky bastard Tyranitar is. I get no more satisfaction than Pursuiting a silly choiced Rotom/Latias, then frying the Scizor switch in that is trying to U Turn, or Stone Edging the Gyarados. Crunch is around when I think Rotom will try to WoW me and provides a bit more pop against some things. Maybe I should consider Rock Slide over Stone Edge, but the extra power can be very useful against say, Blissey or others that I need to hit neutral. Fire Blast could hit Skarm/Lucario harder, but I would not want to risk missing Lucario/Scizor and end up dead. T-Tar also provides some great special bulk, particularly against electric pokemon whom I hate dearly.

A lot of scarfers are a pain for my team, and gengar as well, so I generally want them dead. At the same time, I dislike the free turns CB gives. Expert Belt is useful as hell.

I don't remember what the EVs do unfortunately. But I remember originally using twash's spread, but it didn't have much bulk which I needed to be switching into all the Rotoms, Latias, Gengar, etc. I'll have to look into it again. But in terms of trapping and killing, he gets the job done.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
40 Atk/252 Spe/216 SpA
Naive
-Draco Meteor
-Brick Break
-Flamethrower
-Roost

Draco bomber number one and probably my MVP. He is, unfortunately, probably my biggest way of beating stall and he can do some amazing things. Classic Mixmence is just so good simply because he can roost off any damage. Draco Meteor is just ridiculous, doing big damage to everything except Blissey. Everything else is for coverage basically.

But literally, this might just be the only reason why SkarmBliss just doesn't shit on me, but it can be difficult against a good stall player. Salamence usually comes in on Skarmory or Forry when they come in on Metagross. Usually a few things switch into this: Latias, Blissey, or Steel. And of course, its a pain to pick what to use. Brick Break has to be used to 2hko Blissey on the switch, otherwise it can stall me like the fat whore it is till I get a crit, but thats pretty unreliable at best. I suppose Draco Meteor is my best choice, but sometimes the steel here actually stays in too, giving them more free spikes. Not what I want at all.

40 Atk EVs instead of the usual 16 beacuse I wanted a lil more pop against Blissey.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly
-Iron head
-Fire Punch
-U Turn
-Trick

My glue. Jirachi is here to take random hits and to scout, hax, generally just be a bitch. Does a good job obviously with its speed. Sometimes I feel I need Ice Punch for DDMence with Roost, but U Turn and Trick can be so valuable. trick is godly vs. stat uppers and U Turn is great for escaping and scouting. Fire Punch makes Jirachi a great check against Lucario/Scizor, and Iron Head is obligatory for STAB and hax. At times hax fails me when I try to go for the win, but its generally pretty reliable, especially once I eliminate the resists.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Pressure
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
-Calm Mind
-Surf
-HP Electric
-Ice Beam

This thing is pretty darn deadly, even without the LO. With sand up and Suicune needed defensively, I decided Lefties was necessary. The power loss is annoying at times, but generally its okay. Especially when I simply need to clean, because this does it like a mofo. After dropping Draco Meteors everywhere, the coverage and super effective hits and power of Suicune can really clean up a team nicely. Suicune provides a much needed reliable check against Gyarados, and switches very well into so many things its not funny. And of course when they see CM, Lefties, and Surf, they don't expect to get Ice Beamed or HPed in the face. Has given me quite the comebacks, this guy has.

Some more bulk would be helpful I suppose, but the I enjoy the power/speed he has right now. Moveset is fairly obvious. Basically, Suicune is a very useful check pokemon that is very dangerous offensively.

Latias @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Levitate
Timid
4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Grass Knot
-HP Fire
-Roost

My most recent addition, and perhaps the most useful. Latias helped provide something to smash Swampert to bits before he knew what hit him, as well as finally provided an Electric resist, and added a bunch more. Grass Knot is generally the move I spam in hopes of catching T-Tar on the switch. HP Fire for the KO on Scizor and 2hkoing most steels, Draco Meteor is again, a bomb. Having 2 on the same team is invaluable at times.

But basically Latias is here to be a very very dangerous check to a lot of pokemon, and she has some pretty decent longevity too thanks to Roost (I choose Roost over Recover cause its...Roost).

Life Orb because the power is oh so necessary, sometimes Latias fails to even kill Tyranitar with Grass Knot in 2 hits! Ugh. Though bluffing Choice Scarf/Specs could be useful I suppose.

---------------------------------------

As you can see, this team struggles a bit against stall. As long as Blissey is around, Latias and Suicune are dead weight, and bulky grounds generally make Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Metagross kinda useless. Only Salamence can really stand up to them unfortunately, and I could use some help in figuring out how to fix this up. I think Metagross is probablythe one who needs to go, as he gives the spikers the free spikes, but it is difficult to find a similarly capable lead.

Threat List (I stole from Archives)

Defensive Threats: I can just Draco most defensive threats to pulp.

Blissey – Fat whore. Only Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence are capable of hurting it, Jirachi somewhat. Obviously she ain't sticking around for that. I generally hope to beat it down with Brick Break, or at least weaken it then Pursuit with Tyranitar. Without her dead, its generally GG for me.

Bronzong – Eh I usually just beat it down with whatever I currently have (usually Metagross) till its in KO range for HP Fire or something. Not a real biggie though Hypnosis spammers are annoying.

Celebi – Everthing I have, bar Metagross, can really hurt the pixie. I dislike T-Wave though.
Cresselia – Tyranitar mostly...otherwise I have to beat it down with neutral hits.
Dusknoir- Tyranitar mostly, Metagross' Lum can absorb one WoW and MM hits hard. Draco obviously hits hard.

Forretress – Free switch for Salamence. Everything bar Meta/Jirachi and toast it basically, but its spikes are annoying.

Gliscor –Free switch for Salamenceeeee

Gyarados - Defensive Gyara can be DMed to death, or HP by Suicune. doesn't wall much...
Hippowdon – Draco or Grass knot or surf etc.

Jirachi – Paralysis is annoying and the lack of a powerful Fire/Ground move can make it a pain, but I usually get it done. Metagross does a great job, and once its health is abit gone, fry it with a Flametrower from Mence.

Rotom-A – Tyranitar, and if I get teh chance, just DM it down

Skarmory – Free for mence, but then the problems start...it only walls Metagross but still.

Snorlax – Gah this thing can be annoying if I don't trick correctly. Generally I just go in with Ttar and start crunching it down getting defense drops till I can crit. If I REALLY have to Draco Meteor it to pieces.

Suicune – Can be weird, I first try Latias and Grass Knot or CM up with my own Suicune. Trick is a last ditch effort.
Swampert – I finally added Latias to deal with this btich.

Tyranitar – Ugh I hate when they Pursuit poor Latias as she tries to 2hko with Grass Knot. Otherwise, no biggie.

Vaporeon – Another huuuge bitch despite Draco Meteor it always just wishes and protects, wishes and protects. Suicune sometimes tries for the free CMs and gets toxiced, I can't EQ or Crunch it to death, ugh. Btich.

Zapdos – Tyranitar and Draco meteor

Offensive Threats:

Azelf – MM+BP, I hate dual screens its gay BS but whatever. If its not a lead, Ttar and Jirachi. Sometimes latias.

Breloom – I've got lum for leads, and the Jirachi U Turn-->Salamence works great

Empoleon- Between Latias, Jirachi, and Suicune, usually not a huge biggie...
Gengar – Tyranitar and Jirachi are coolz. Metagross too I guess.

Gyarados – Suicune. If it dies, ugh, its just annoying. DM works wonders

Heatran – Despite 4 Fire resists, Scarftran is a bitch. I only have 2 attacks that do more than 50%, Surf and Brick Break. Not fun. Draco meteor can rock its house though lol, as can Stone Edge.

Infernape – Latiass, Salamence, Suicune. The need to Draco Meteor it sucks though

Jolteon-Tyranitar gets the job done I suppose...but it must suffer a lot of pain.

Latias – TTar is as good as it gets, I guess Jirachi can do some shit too

Kingdra – Tyranitar helps stop the gay rain, Kingdra himself cant do much to Metagross, Suicune, Jirachi.
Lucario – Jirachi and Mence. Suicune to a certain extent.

Machamp – DM it, or use Metagross

Magnezone – Tyranitar/Latias I guess

Mamoswine – Haven't seen in a while...Suicune I imagine, or Iron head.
Metagross – Suicune helps, Jirachi can, Metagross to an extent. its annoying i suppose

Salamence - Ugh luckily he cant set up on much except Jirachi on fire punch. DD I usually get him into outrage mode then just Iron head the bastard with sand up, or scare it off with Latias. Bulky is a bitch...I need the hax or Suicune

Scizor – Hopefully I fry it early. Jirachi easily reveenges SD
Starmie – Tyranitar does decently...Jirachi can U Turn and shit. Its annnoying.

Tyranitar – Hopefully I grass knot it, DD versions I just combine U Turn and Iron head.

Weavile – Jirachi, metagross too

Zapdos – latias and tyranitar

Regarding your lead, you definitely want it to help you crack stall, aka able to take on Skarm and Blissey, as well as common leads. I think one of the better ways to do this would be to use a Machamp lead: Machamp@Lum Berry, Substitute+Encore+DPunch+Bullet Punch/Payback. Blissey can't come in for her life, and skarm risks getting nothing done when coming in. After you get some flow going, Skarmory doesn't get chances to set up anymore. SR can go on Jicahi or something.

Unfortunately, I don't feel Jirachi has any room at all to fit SR there. Those moves are all too important IMO. It really can't go anywhere except on the lead, so Machamp is out of the question really.

I think changing Tyranitar's moveset just a little could help you a lot Vs Stall. I would replace Stone Edge with Superpower, because quite a few Blissey stay in a try to stall out what they think is a CB pursuit from my experience so once you know they're staying in you can smash them with a Superpower (does 96% minimum to a 0 Hp/252 Def Blissey with the spread you're running I think). You obviously won't be able to touch Gyarados now but Blissey seems to be the bigger pain from what you've said and with Blissey out the way Latias/Suicune/Salamence will have a much easier time.

What about a shucca tran as your lead? It can lure in bliss with a few times of swithching out on it then explode when it thinks it's safe, and I'm sure you know it destroys skarmory

If the main reason you're using Salamence is to beat Blissey, why not use mixed Dragonite instead? It's slower but more bulky and can OHKO Blissey with Superpower while still having access to Draco Meteor, Roost and Fire Blast like Salamence does.
If you're solely aiming to beat Blissey, Dragonite can do everything Salamence can do and OHKO Blissey in the process.

I realize that Salamence is overall better than Dragonite but I feel Dragonite fits this team better. Unfortunately Dragonite is a little slower and a little less powerful than Salamence but if you're that worried about Blissey, mixed Dragonite is definitely something to consider.

@atheist Something to consider, but Crunch will beat her down somewhat decently anyway. Suicune can't live that long because of a lack of recovery, so I can't allow Gyarados to chip away at its health.

@Kel Shucatran is definitely something I would consider, I just dislike how it loses to many leads. IE Azelf can taunt SR, I'm not sure how it really beats Aerodactyl, and there just a lot of other issues. It would definitely solve a lot of problems if it worked though.

@Disposable Puppets I've tried mixnite, but I'm not a big fan. Lacks the sweeping potential and also I hate his low speed.

So Shucatran is actually an improvement against stall, as Explosion is really just such a huge threat against them. A bit worse against normal teams though and I get forced out pretty often; the lack of priority can suck too, as well as making Tyranitar a bigger pain.

Not bad at all though.

Why? Latias counters Electrivire too, it resists/is immune to most of the common moveset, and it's Ice Attacks are too weak to actually do anything.

You mentioned that you have issues with stall. My solution, which dosen't change the team massivly, is the change Tyranitar's set. With this change, however, you will lose Persuit.

I would suggest using a Tyraniboah set.

It's not the most common set in the world, so it could catch quite a few people by surprise, firstly. Secondly, you are already running a vaugly similar Tyranitar, in the fact that it's a Mixtar.

Thirdly, Tyraniboah with Focus Punch and Flamethrower/Thunderbolt stops SkarmBliss, which you mentioned is trouble.

You have two main options with a Boah set. The first, is to run Substitute, but this more or less forces Crunch/Dark Pulse in the last slot for coverage.

The second is less conventional. If you are good with predictions, don't use Substitute. This will free up your moveslots a little, allowing for Persuit and, possibly Stone Edge/EQ, to be added, and if you predict a Blissey switch-in (Or anything that it hit hard, like Scraftran, who would Earth Power a EQ-less Tyranitar all day), you Focus Punch it, and deal massive damage.

Disposable Puppet's suggestion is a good alternative, MixNite would work as well, as it's even more of a dead stop to SkarmBliss than Salamance is. Not to mention you have a pokemon that can drop 2 nukes in one switch-in, and Steels cannot risk Superpower, while everything else can't risk Draco Meteor. Dragonite has 1 less attack than Salamance, which is almost inconsequential, but the speed and sp.attack is the trade off, for being more bulky, and hence, better able to switch in and out, and abuse Roost to a greater extent.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah i believe that raikaria has really helped you with that post. I also agree with the decision to use Mixnite again, because he has access to the stronger fighting move of Superpower. With superpower, it can beat blissey, heatran and tyranitar while salamence with brick break cannot OHKO them (the evs of blissey, tyranitar and Heatran are in the strategy smogon pages) Mixnite will still hit hard with a STAB Draco Meteor and burn steels with Fire Blast, so I suggest giving him a try as well.

I've tried out D-Nite, but I realize that with Heatran, most of my stall troubles are gone, and IMO Salamence is far better because of that extra speed and intimidate. And of course, extra pop.

My only issue with Heatran is that he is far less useful against anything other than stall, and I also miss Lum Berry.

I've tried out D-Nite, but I realize that with Heatran, most of my stall troubles are gone, and IMO Salamence is far better because of that extra speed and intimidate. And of course, extra pop.

My only issue with Heatran is that he is far less useful against anything other than stall, and I also miss Lum Berry.
What about lead ape? It's the epitome of breaking the skarm bliss combo and generally does a better job of getting down stealth rock due to it's higher speed

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hey.

Im surprised no one has suggested "BaitTar" to you to try over your current Tyranitar set. Bait Tar runs the same moveset your running now, although with a bit more Speed to catch unwary Scizor off guard as they U Turn. Ive been using a similar set to this one on a recent OU team and have found that its great at catching stuff off guard, especially the aforementioned Scizor as well as Skarmory / Forretress who believe they can Spike on you. Another thing I think could benefit you is that it outspeeds most Defensive Rotom-a, which helps a ton as you don't have to suffer a burn before Crunching for a ton of damage.

move 1: Crunch
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
item: Expert Belt
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe

With Tyranitar often providing a surprise kill against Scizor, I believe you could afford to drop Expert Belt on Latias and possibly use Thunderbolt as well; it'd help alot against Vaporeon whom your threat list mentions having trouble against. With Thunderbolt you can also hit Defensive Gyara for an OHKO without having to resort to a SpAtk drop, and you get a 31 Spe IV to outspeed all other Life Orb Latias, which is a rather fair trade off.

While I was trying to think of a Lum lead that fares well against stall, the best i could come up with was Fire Blast / Extreme Speed / Superpower / Draco Meteor Dragonite, which fits into your spam Draco Meteor straegy, but gives you another Ice weakness so I doubt the risks outweigh the benefits heh.

Anyway cool team, gl.

I'll definitely try out the Tyranitar set august, thanks. I would personally prefer a bit more bulk, but I'll see how it fares. And yeah, that whole burn thing seems quite useful, I'm always getting burned when I go for the Crunch/Pursuit

Bait-Tar works much better with Metagross I'm finding, as Rotom likes to come WoW me all the time and after he burns Metagross, Tyranitar easily comes in and can Crunch for a KO. The lack of bulk is disappointing though, and I cannot be nearless as reckless as I am with a bulkier set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)