Sceptiles Last Wish [UU RMT]

Introduction:

As my first post on Smogon's forums, I thought I would start it off with a team of mine. I have various testing accounts on Shoddy, and I was really hoping when I made this team it would be a good one. After playing many battles on UU ladder, and even against friends, I believe I have found a pretty good one. The purpose of this team is to keep my pokemon alive, while slowly setting up more layers of Spikes and Toxic Spikes to the field. This is why I have a backup status taker, a cleric, and even wish support. Wish support is key on my team, since my pokemon as the battle progresses are going to get lower and lower on HP, and I need to keep Sceptile and Omastar alive in order for my plan to work at its fullest. Sceptile is key for finishing up the pokemon, and can hit very hard even against pokemon that resist his moves. This is why I chose the name "Sceptiles Last Wish", because Sceptile and Umbreon are both very key pokemon in this team. In conclusion, I am very happy to finally be a member of Smogon's forums, and I hope this team isn't something that is just thrown away!

The Pokemon:

Look In-Depth:

Omastar @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam​

Description:
Omastar is a great lead for this team, being able to set up two very important parts to my Stall; Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Omastar also is very sturdy against physical attacking leads, but I always have to watch out for Hidden Power Grass Moltres, with Light Screen support Omastar can become quite the solid pokemon, and easily set up more while dishing out nice damage. The EV spread is standard, this pokemon also helps me deal with Swellow, who can be a serious threat if not dealt with.​

Spiritomb @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/96 Def/160 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Description:
Ahh, Spiritomb, a really great pokemon for this team, not only is it a back up status taker incase Uxie happens to faint, but Shadow Ball hits pokemon pretty hard, and Will-o-Wisp is for crippling pokemon like Honckrow or other pokemon that avoid Toxic Spikes. I have been considering replacing Sleep Talk for another move, considering I have Uxie to take off status, but when I thought about it, as soon as Uxie faints, and I use Rest, I'm wide open for setup/damage for 2 turns. I would really not prefer for that to happen, so I'm sticking with ResTalk. Overall this is one of my favorite pokemon for this team.

Uxie @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Reflect

Description:
A great addition to my team, this Uxie is great at keeping pokemon alive, not only does it supply great screen support, which could help my Umbreon set up a few curses and wreck teams. It also is a cleric for the team, with this pokemon, I don't have to worry incredibly about status moves. U-Turn is the final move to escape some tough situations, or switch out to an appropiate counter of my opponents pokemon. This pokemon has saved me in so many bad situations, and is pretty nessecary for my team to keep on setting up without taking status.

Claydol @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/114 Def/114 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Description:
I was looking for something that could set up Stealth Rocks, and rapid spin. Once I found Claydol, I knew that this would be a great pokemon for the job. The EVs may look a little weird, as well as the set, but they have a purpose. Max HP is pretty basic on Claydol, the 114 Defense and Special Defense EVs with Impish nature set both of Claydols defenses into the low 300's (301 Defense, 304 Special Defense). The rest of the EVs were put into Attack for more power against Registeel, Steelix, and beating down SubCM Raikou. Raikou can threaten the team if it sets up, so Claydol or Umbreon have to be always prepared to take on the SubCM variants, or any other variant. Sadly, when I give up the special side of Claydol to help take care of Raikou, I become a set up fodder for Mismagius.

Sceptile @
(Choice Specs)
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Description:
Another star player on my team, Choice Specs Sceptile can be a monster no matter what, 2HKOing Registeel with Focus Blast, OHKO'ing Milotic with Leaf Storm, and can really be a nice clean up pokemon. Most of them my opponents pokemon are so badly crippled I can easily finsh them off. This pokemon needs to stay alive or atleast get rid of Registeel/Milotic or I could be in trouble. Sceptile rarely fails me in battle, although the occasional Focus Blast/Leaf Storm misses do get on my nerves. This was one of the main reasons to start playing UU, Sceptile has always been a favorite of mine, and I love how he can destroy pokemon so quickly.

Umbreon @
(Leftovers)
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/60 Atk/196 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Wish
- Protect
- Payback

Description:
Probably the most important member to the team, Umbreon supplies wish support and can be a serious threat alone if not prepared. Thanks to a recent change from everyones advice, I have changed Sucker Punch to Protect for more scouting and health gain in tough situations. The 60 Attack EVs breaks through Raikou's subs, and does a nice amount of damage. I put the rest in Special Defense, because I want to have a very hard to knock out wall after 2-3 curses. This pokemon is also my only true counter to SubCalm Mind Mismagius. I have to watch out for those Bulky Fighting types that try setting up on Umbreon, though.

Change/Testing Log:
Sucker Punch from Umbreon to Protect - Change
Leftovers on Uxie to Light Clay - Test
Specs Sceptile changed to Life Orb Sceptile - Test
Hidden Power Ice from Sceptile to Hidden Power Fire - Change

Taken from WJC3688's thread.

The threats list:

Absol: Absol usually gets crippled by Will-o-wisp or Toxic Spikes while i easily stall with Spiritomb. I've never had any trouble with this pokemon what so ever, especially after Superpower lowers its Attack and pathetic defenses even more.

Altaria: DD variants usually don't go far against Omastars nice defensive and HP stats, and I OHKO with Ice Beam. Mix Altaria normally doesn't get far against Umbreon, tacking Draco Meteors while wishing up repeatively, if needed, I can set up a reflect and turn Altaria into a setup fodder for Umbreon.

Ambipom: Ambipom can cause some trouble if it has low kick, usually it takes some prediction to weaken this pokemon then score and easy kill on it.

Arcanine: I really need Omastar for this guy, if its mix I have to switch out to Umbreon to take Hidden Power Grass/Electric, but if no sign of LO loss, I usually take it pretty well, I need toxic spikes or to keep Tomb alive to beat the defensive versions. I use Tomb to pressure stall them out of there attack moves, then it becomes a fairly easy task, but yeah, sometimes have to watch out for this guy.

Azumarill: Uxie can pull of a reflect on this guy, and if its stuck on a move, it becomes easy to pull off a few curses with Umbreon (Depending on what it used) or I can go to Tomb/Omastar and either W-o-W to cripple it even more, or set up more layers of spikes/toxic spikes. Spiritomb's shadow ball breaks the subs for SubPunch Azumarill, and usually can't do much back to Tomb.

Blastoise: Blastoise normally isn't a concern, specially variants dents aren't that bad to Spiritomb, and if its physical I can just W-o-W or stall it to death by Toxic Spikes.

Blaziken: Normally I'll go to Claydol and EQ this guy, if its a Mix variant, if its scarf I can swap between Omastar/Spiritomb/Claydol to take most of the moves it offers. SD Variants are normally easy to take care of with Reflect from Uxie then Claydol and EQ it away, overall Claydol usually does a pretty nice job against this guy.

Chansey: Chansey is another pokemon I hate to face, if it has Aromatheraphy/Toxic/Wish/Seismic toss, I normally have stall out Toxic PP. Then I can go into Umbreon and easily set up on it, but yeah, that set is probably the one thing that could stop this team dead in its tracks.

Charizard: LeadZards I don't risk the chance of Belly Drum and just Surf. SpecsZard usually likes meeting Umbreon/Claydol/Spiritomb or if they Air Slash me, my Omastar.

Claydol: Claydol is a terrible match with my spin blocker, considering I can Will-o-wisp physical variants and just shadow ball it until it dies. This pokemon really can't do anything to me, considering everyone of my pokemon except Claydol can hit it with a super effective move.

Clefable: Another tough pokemon to face, I can 2HKO with Focus Blast on Cosmic Power variants, but have to watch out for Paralysis/Focus Blast missing. If all fails, I can setup my Umbreon on this, while it Cosmic Powers.

Drapion: Drapion can absorb Toxic Spikes, Whirlwind out Umbreon, and even setup Swords Dance/Toxic Spikes. My best bet is to weaken/kill this thing early on then finish it off with Sceptile.

Electrode: Electrodes are most seen as leads, and usually want to set up rain first turn, normally Spiritomb takes this pokemon pretty well.

Espeon: Don't really see too many of these, but SpecsEspeon gets destroyed by Tomb, same with Scarf, CM is usally taken down by Umbreon.

Feraligatr: I set up reflect, and then go to Umbreon to set up some more curses, on it, then payback it away. If its Lum Berry it'll take toxic spikes, but i can wow it then and cripple it even more.

Gardevoir: Pretty much the same thing is Espeon, except this doesn't go down as fast, I have seen wish variants

Hariyama: I don't like the Bulk Up variants, I usually have to explode with Claydol then finish off with Sceptile. Toxic Spikes will help with the damage, too.

Hitmonlee: Not too many pokemon are weak to Scarf Hitmonlees moves. My best bet for dealing with this pokemon overall is Spiritomb.

Hitmontop: Wish I could find a spot for a 2nd Ghost, otherwise I would, Foresight + Rapid Spin really messes up my plan (although I usually get it back quite easily. TechniTop is easy to deal with.

Honchkrow: Sceptile hits this very hard when it switches in. If it doesn't kill, I usually go back to tomb and Will-o-wisp this guy and pressure stall its moves.

Houndoom: Non-Hidden Power Ground/Grass variants are easy to beat with Omastar. Without that I have to switch in when it Nasty Plots to sceptile and hit it with Focus Blast.

Lanturn: Doesn't even stand a chance against Sceptile, both STABs resisted, takes a major blow from Leaf Storm.

Magmortar: Claydol is a good counter to LO variants, scarf variants usually just take prediction to easily beat.

Mesprit: Mesprit really hates this team, considering the only thing it can do to my walls is trick them. BoltBeam combo will hardly accomplish anything on Umbreon, while I can break SubCM variants subs.

Milotic: Sceptile, Sceptile, Sceptile, this is one of the main reasons I have Sceptile, to OHKO Milotic and get it out of the way.

Miltank: Umbreon easily curses up and strikes back with Payback, Sceptile 2HKO's with Focus Blast last time I checked. Miltank isn't that much of an issue.

Mismagius: SubNP and SubCM both get destroyed by Umbreon, very easy pokemon to counter.

Moltres: Non-Hidden Power Grass Electric variants get destroyed by Omastar, Umbreon sets up on non ToxicStall ones, and with SR on the field, this pokemon usually doesn't get that much of a chance to shine.

Muk: Claydol Earthquakes, Spiritomb W-o-w's, and slowly kills.

Nidoking: Such a diverse movepool makes it hard for me to predict what its always going to use. My best bet is crippling with W-o-w from Tomb.

Nidoqueen: Claydol usually takes care of this pokemon nicely, spinning away anything it sets up.

Ninetales: HypnoPlot I have to watch out for, but Claydol and Umbreon deal nice enough dents for me to finish off with Sceptile.

Omastar: Sceptile easily counters non Rain Dance versions, I pull of LS with Uxie and setup umbreon and destroy this guy.

Poliwrath: Shadow Ball + Toxic Spikes + Sub really don't give this guy much of a chance to sweep anything.

Porygon2: Walls usually have nothing against Umbreon unless they have Toxic. If they have Toxic though I do a lot with Sceptiles Focus Blast.

Primeape: Spiritomb, Claydol, Uxie. U-Turn can do more damage to Uxie and Claydol, though.

Regirock: Most of the time Toxic Spikes get these guys, and normally they cant really touch Spiritomb. I can go to Sceptile and pull ofF a Leaf Storm, though.

Registeel: Claydol EQ's weaken non-curse variants. Unless the curse variant is packing Rest, then I still beat them with Claydol, if they do, Spectiles Focus Blat 2HKO's.

Rotom: Umbreon and Spiritomb take this guy nicely, though I have to be careful and watch out for Trick.

Sceptile: Umbreon takes Specs and SubSeed pretty well, though Focus Blast can be a concern, I can just go straight out to Spiritomb.

Scyther: Omastar deals with this guy easily, same with Spiritomb.

Slowbro: Umbreon deals with CM variants pretty easily, which are the only ones I see.

Spiritomb: I can cripple non-restalk variants with either Toxic Spikes/Will-o-wisp, Omastar usually deals with it pretty easily after that.

Steelix: Omastar and Sceptile are great at taking this guy down, Claydol does some damage with Earthquake.

Swellow: Need to keep my Omastar alive for a nice counter against Swellow. Resists both STAB's and U-turn is just asking for it to get weakened even more by Stealth Rock.

Torterra: Will-o-wisp for Rock Polish variants, I can switch out to Sceptile still and take down with Hidden Power Ice, since it doesn't outspeed after a Rock Polish.

Toxicroak: Spiritombs shadow ball takes care of this guy nicely.

Typhlosion: ScarfTyplosions move set is pretty easy to take care of, if I know its going to use a fire move, Omastar, I can just go to Umbreon and weaken it down even more.

Umbreon: Toxic Spikes are nessecary for this guy to die, Focus Blast from Sceptile almosts 2HKO's and with Stealth Rock it is a 2hko.

Uxie: Umbreon and Spiritomb, pretty much the same as Mesprit.

Venusaur: Venasuar has a nice variety of move options, normally I let it sleep Spiritomb then go to Umbreon and Curse + Wish as it attempts to stop me, but if its SD I’m a little worried but normally those are Synthesis SD Life Orb sets.

Weezing: This guy can be pretty annoying, I prefer Spiritomb to shadow ball it constantly, but I have to be careful of the ones that pack Thunderbolt, otherwise it could be an easier process with Omastar.

Yanmega: This pokemon can actually be very troublesome, I usually go straight to Spiritomb to take Hypnosis, and if it doesn’t have Hidden Power Ground, I can go back out to Omastar and finish it up, non-lead variants are at 50% right away if I get SR and are hardly a threat.

Just a nick pick..Have ever considered light clay on Uxie? Light Clay will lengthen the turns that Reflect / Light Screen will stay, allowing you to set up more effectively. Also, life orb might work on sceptile since that is your only sweeper. Life Orb will increase its damage output so it's worth consideration. And having it locked onto one attack isn't the best.

Other then those nitpicks, it is a nice team :)

I think I would ditch sucker punch on umbreon for protect... most of the things that force you out are going to easily take a sucker punch anyway.

Just a nick pick..Have ever considered light clay on Uxie? Light Clay will lengthen the turns that Reflect / Light Screen will stay, allowing you to set up more effectively. Also, life orb might work on sceptile since that is your only sweeper. Life Orb will increase its damage output so it's worth consideration. And having it locked onto one attack isn't the best.

Other then those nitpicks, it is a nice team :)
Thanks for the rate, I will test out both of those and see how they work, Light Clay may really help me set up more with the longer Screens, as you said, and since I have wish support, Leftovers isn't completely nessecary. The LO on Sceptile seems nice too, that way I'm not switching out every turn. Once again, thanks for the rate!

I think I would ditch sucker punch on umbreon for protect... most of the things that force you out are going to easily take a sucker punch anyway.
Don't even need to test this, I'll just make it official, considering I've tried protect in the past and it works wonders, lets me save HP from explosions, regain more hp, and scout moves. The sucker punch was mainly for helping keeping up my hp but this works just as well, if not better, thanks for the rate!

Pretty sure I fought this team earlier today, and it seems pretty solid. I second ditching Sucker Punch on Umbreon. It would probably help against Gallade, but after some curses Payback will do fine. Not to mention Protect is awesome when cursing up against specail attackers.

Edit: A few seconds too late for this post to matter

Edit 2: Consider using MixTile if you're using Life Orb, again especially since it's your only real attacking Poke. Moveset is

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Naive
EVs: 156 Att, 136 SpA, 216 Spe
-Rock Slide/ Focus Punch
-Earthquake
-HP Ice
-Leaf Storm

Speed EVs allow for 363 speed, faster than much of UU. Most of the moves don't really need explanation. Focus Punch is useful for when a switch is obvious but you don't know who is coming in, and Rock Slide is good for taking down Moltres.

Good Luck, and welcome to Smogon!

Pretty solid team Zach. The suggestions that were already made are what you need to try out but you need to change your description on TehBurraki (Umbreon) to no longer mention Sucker Punch.

I would like to know how you deal with Gallade as the SD set with Lum Berry could be trouble for you it seems. Also, how do you use Omastar in the lead spot? Just wondering what types of actions you take with him against other leads, which entry hazard you like to put down first, etc.

Pretty solid team Zach. The suggestions that were already made are what you need to try out but you need to change your description on TehBurraki (Umbreon) to no longer mention Sucker Punch.

I would like to know how you deal with Gallade as the SD set with Lum Berry could be trouble for you it seems. Also, how do you use Omastar in the lead spot? Just wondering what types of actions you take with him against other leads, which entry hazard you like to put down first, etc.
Thanks Womby, anyways, Gallade usually doesn't cause that much of a threat thanks to Spiritomb, but I do have to watch out for it if Spiritomb is weakened. Normally it, depends on the lead, Registeels are usually easiest for me to setup a layer of spikes, then toxic spikes. With the Venasuars and Drapions I've been seeing lately makes it annoying that they get rid of Toxic Spikes, but I usually still am able to set up later. Sometimes I switch depending on the lead, since Omastar is crucial to my stall success. Thanks for the rates guys, I'll probably try that set with Rock Slide @ Reaver12. :)
I'll edit the description for Umbreon a little bit later, have some stuff to take care of.

This is a great team so far. Just as a question why did you choose HP ice on Sceptile? There aren't many dragons hangin' around the UU tier, only altaria, but thats cleaned up nicely by Omastar, so HP ice is redundant. I suggest HP water or fire. HP water hits Blaziken, Dugtrio, Arcanine, Houndoom, Moltres, Nidoking and Typhlosion for super effective. HP fire takes out bulky grasses, Tangrowth, Steelix, Magneton, Frosslas, Scyther, and a reliable way to hit Registeel. And also somewhere I think you should add a phazing move to stop people setting up. But a terrific team overall.

This is a great team so far. Just as a question why did you choose HP ice on Sceptile? There aren't many dragons hangin' around the UU tier, only altaria, but thats cleaned up nicely by Omastar, so HP ice is redundant. I suggest HP water or fire. HP water hits Blaziken, Dugtrio, Arcanine, Houndoom, Moltres, Nidoking and Typhlosion for super effective. HP fire takes out bulky grasses, Tangrowth, Steelix, Magneton, Frosslas, Scyther, and a reliable way to hit Registeel. And also somewhere I think you should add a phazing move to stop people setting up. But a terrific team overall.
Thanks a lot for the rate, I really appreciate it! Your completely right about Sceptile, I'll try Hidden Power Fire instead of ice, considering Omastar has a stronger water move and nice special attack stat. Changing the description for Umbreon right now also!

2 things, 1 use hp ground and rock slide with mixtile that plus leaf storm hits stuff hard.
Also claydol is set up fodder to missy. with the addition of nasty plot that can hurt. Add shadow in stead of explosion. You may not be able to hit norm/fly types but none set up in uu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)