Double Battling

Hello. I'd like to help out in any way I can. I've been playing 2v2 since the release of Diamond and Pearl, and I'd like to think I've become quite knowledgeable on the subject. I think this would be a great way for me to integrate myself into Smogon; though I enjoy moderating Pokebeach, I find myself posting there... almost never. I hope that by taking part in this project, I can learn even more things and hopefully make a name for myself here.

PS Rory if you wanted me to post here in the beginning, sorry lol

Would a separate tier list be viable? Based on overall utility and compatibility with other pokemon. Or is that too complicated? It might be, because their utility depends on the utility and support of the partnering pokemon (3 variable equation with no solid numbers = 3 variables).

Or, for a super duper long tier list ranking: X Poke + Y Poke; per position. Idk, I'm just getting tired of the singles tier list never changing and keeping pretty much everything with speed and Sandstorm immunity in OU.

Hello, I would like to help out with this project as well. I've been working a lot with double battle strategies for about 2 years on and off and have made quiet a few teams based on VGC format that work very well. (If anyone's really interested, I can PM my most recent team to them.)

Most arguments were already discussed in the last page, so I will not bother bringing them up again. Though I strongly support having a clear cut system of writing articles for 2v2 strategies, as many were somewhat lacking in specifying which Pokemon work well with others.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to help if possible :D

I also think maybe a new tier system would work, but maybe not as complicated as what Kumar was describing... There are 250 non-NFE non-Uber pokemon. If we were to make a tier listing for each double combination... That's 62,250 listings right there. I, for one, don't want to sift through all that stuff when searching if one of my combos are viable in UU.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I'd like to help if possible :D

I also think maybe a new tier system would work, but maybe not as complicated as what Kumar was describing... There are 250 non-NFE non-Uber pokemon. If we were to make a tier listing for each double combination... That's 62,250 listings right there. I, for one, don't want to sift through all that stuff when searching if one of my combos are viable in UU.
In doubles, tiers aren't going to be the same as they are for standard 6v6 matches, and neither are movesets.

Take a Pokemon like Togekiss. In an OU match, you might use something like Nasty Plot/Aura Sphere/Air Slash/Roost. In doubles, there's a lot more options and moves for it - Follow Me, Air Slash, Thunder Wave, Extremespeed are some of them.

In doubles, support Pokemon are on every team, as are priority attacks. Teams like weather (Rain/Sun/Hail) and trick room become much easier to use. As such, tiers are fairly hard to define - while certain Pokemon will obviously remain where they are (the Ubers, mostly. With the possible exception of Wobb [who's not all that great in doubles], they'll stay where they are.) Pokemon like Azelf, Scizor, Heatran? The tier they're in would be unknown.

It might be possible to put Pokemon into tiers for doubles, but it's not as simple. You'd have to look at sets, combos, and other factors (such as weather or other field effects that may be in play.) I'm willing to help though.

I'm willing to help aswell.

I absolutely adore doubles, and I've been playing them competitively ever since their introduction last gen. In our local tournaments we always have a single battle one and a double battle one and, to be honest, I've only won the singles once, while I'm our "doubles champion" over here. So I'm pretty confident about my double battles knowledge, and am willing to share it and help with this project that'll hopefully get more and more people to play this style. (:

I am willing to help out in this project. I think I have enough experience to be able to put pokemon in tiers, and help out with anything else. I have been playing doubles since JAA. I have made many good teams over the years. I have gained a lot of knowledge not only in building teams, but knowing how to battle with them.

Dear Rory,
I would love to help out with anything concerning doubles. I have had a humble amount expierence, but if there is anything, including the grunt work, I am able to help out. I play doubles more often than singles, so I might have the prowess to help with the transition.

Honestly speaking, I find that by playing doubles, all Pokemon can excel. "Underused" Pokemon and "Overused" Pokemon can be used together to pull off an amazing strategy! Any Pokemon is viable except for some "Ubers".

With such a vast topic to cover, I would be honored if I can help out, even with the slightest work.

Alex here.

I'll see what I can do with this 2v2 project. I'd love to help in any way possible. After all, by switching from singles to doubles, the game is going to become massively overhauled due to the fact that you're widening the entire game on a semi-exponential level. For example:

Code:
o-----------------------------------------------o
| Using Current* OU, BL, and UU Pokémon only    |
+-------------------------------+---------------+---------------o
|Statistic                      | Singles       | Doubles       |
+-------------------------------+---------------+---------------+
|Possible number of Pkm         |               |               |
|combinations out at one time   | 113           | 6,328         |
|(player only)                  |               |               |
+-------------------------------+---------------+---------------+
|Possible number of Pkm         |               |               |
|combinations out at one time   | 6,328         | 20,018,628    |
|(overall)                      |               |               |
o-------------------------------+---------------+---------------o

*  Using November 2009 Shoddy statistics as well as the definition
   of an OU Pokémon (used in 1 out of 20 of all battles, or 5%) there
   are currently only 36 Pokémon in OU.  Using the same formula for UU
   there would only be 35 Pokémon deemed UU.  However for these calculations
   I used the current number of Pokémon deemed OU and UU for the convenience
   of others.

As of now there are currently:
   51 Pokémon in OU
   5 Pokémon in BL
   57 Pokémon in UU
   for a total of
   roughly 113 Pokémon used in Standard play.
And if you were wondering, yes, I calculated all of those statistics using combinatorial math.

As for competitive experience I've been playing on Shoddy Battle for over a year now (although I'm not that great, going to try to get into Battling 101 sometime to help me with prediction), and as far as Pokémon is concerned I've been around since RBY, so I know most if not all game mechanics. What I can see from the 2v2 project is that in order for the transition to work as smoothly as singles play is now, we need to be committing at least twice the amount of manpower to get things under control.

Which is why I'm here. I'll help out as much as I can.

I would love to be a part of this team. I personally think that doubles is my best area when it comes to battling. I love the strategy involved and I would
love to use my knowledge to help out the site

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)