New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

The Manaphy set looks good, but other than the surprise factor and the ability to heal and wake up instantly, what does it have over Kingdra? I think STAB Dragon and Swift Swim more than make up for its lower stats and the aforementioned points.

I'm no pro at EVs so it could be made into a bulkier attacker. I've used kingra a bit and it was easy to deplete its health with subs to stop status. Manaphy can restore its health, while being very resistant to status.

Note that unless you want to risk an outrage dragon claw is only 18 more bp than return. Manaphy can make up for that slightly with 5 more attack.

I'm no pro at EVs so it could be made into a bulkier attacker. I've used kingra a bit and it was easy to deplete its health with subs to stop status. Manaphy can restore its health, while being very resistant to status.

Note that unless you want to risk an outrage dragon claw is only 18 more bp than return. Manaphy can make up for that slightly with 5 more attack.
Kingdra can't learn Dragon Claw, but I was also referring to Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and Outrage.

I remembered a pretty damn good Manaphy set from somewhere. Something along the line of...

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Hydration
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
-Surf
-Rain Dance
-Calm Mind
-Rest

When 6 Calm Minds and Rain Dance has been achieved, Manaphy can guarantee 2HKO on even Calm 252 HP/252 SpD Blissey. This set would almost replace Suicune's RestTalk set, and b/c of Manaphy's weight it also becomes a near perfect counter to Infernape (Grass Knot has 20 base power against Manaphy).

I remembered a pretty damn good Manaphy set from somewhere. Something along the line of...

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Hydration
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
-Surf
-Rain Dance
-Calm Mind
-Rest

When 6 Calm Minds and Rain Dance has been achieved, Manaphy can guarantee 2HKO on even Calm 252 HP/252 SpD Blissey. This set would almost replace Suicune's RestTalk set, and b/c of Manaphy's weight it also becomes a near perfect counter to Infernape (Grass Knot has 20 base power against Manaphy).
Not really new or creative at all - its been proven to work and it's what I believe originally led people to think of Manaphy as Uber. Good set though.

Personally, however, I'd rather leave the Rain sweeping to something that has more immediate punch...

Manaphy@Damp Rock
Impish; 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Spe

Rest
U-Turn
Waterfall
Rain Dance

Enough speed to outpace the likes of Jolly Tyranitar and get the rain in, but still rather slow. Waterfall lets it hit Blissey, while a slow U-Turn helps get a counter in there. Rain Rest is self explanatory as usual, only that Manaphy uses it to set up other pokemon rather than itself.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Yeah, that's the (in)famous cro-Phy. That set is not really creative and was already quite popular during the Manphy test, back in april. If supported correctly it's a deadly set as just a few Pokemon can break Manaphy's excellent base 100 HP\ Def\ SpD after some calm minds, and Manaphy's typing really makes this task not hard to accomplish. The problem is that you have really hard times against offensive teams, as Pokemon like Latias, Gyarados, Salamence can easily set up on it. Nonetheless it's an excellent set and with Manaphy now in OU it will be, of course, added to the analysis.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Careful
252 HP/6 Atk/252 SpD
-Mean Look
-Tickle
-Payback
-Baton Pass

Trap something. Start to tickle, and, when their attack's fairly low, neither physical OR special attacks aren't going to harm you. Either BP out and use a priority to finish off, or finish yourself with Payback. The opponent will be hesitant about status, due to Synchronize.

Viable at all?

If someone switches in Bulky Dos, or Tauntrados, you are finished. The best you could do to it is Toxic, but there is no way you could work that onto this set without dropping an attacking move.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Insert standard grumblings about trying too hard to be unique here.

That being said, Mean Look / Yawn / Protect / Baton Pass. Play with that for awhile, it's fun.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Careful
252 HP/6 Atk/252 SpD
-Mean Look
-Tickle
-Payback
-Baton Pass

Trap something. Start to tickle, and, when their attack's fairly low, neither physical OR special attacks aren't going to harm you. Either BP out and use a priority to finish off, or finish yourself with Payback. The opponent will be hesitant about status, due to Synchronize.

Viable at all?
See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8k0n-eBugk

There, TheKillerNacho takes a severe beating when a similar Umbreon sets up on his Registeel. It is running a set of Mean Look/Curse/Moonlight/Payback. The Moonlight is to recover up after Umbreon's defenses get way up; it could be replaced with Baton Pass. The Curse version might actually be better, because it can continue sweeping after it KOs the target, rather than having to find another chance to get in and set up again. This is especially true since the opponent is unlikely to get duped into leaving fodder in for a Mean Look more than once in a battle.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8k0n-eBugk

There, TheKillerNacho takes a severe beating when a similar Umbreon sets up on his Registeel. It is running a set of Mean Look/Curse/Moonlight/Payback. The Moonlight is to recover up after Umbreon's defenses get way up; it could be replaced with Baton Pass. The Curse version might actually be better, because it can continue sweeping after it KOs the target, rather than having to find another chance to get in and set up again. This is especially true since the opponent is unlikely to get duped into leaving fodder in for a Mean Look more than once in a battle.
I remember seeing that. Having Baton Pass would have been so much better, since he had that damn CB Azumarill too (+6 Huge Power Aqua Jet would absolutely rape)

Arcanine@Liechi Berry
Intimidate
Adament
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Natural Gift (Grass)
Thunder Fang/Filler

A Liechi Berry makes the physical Natural Gift an 80BP Grass attack, like Seed Bomb. It covers stuff that would resist Fire, and it scores super effective hits on all the types that terrorize Fire types. Flare Blitz's recoil can help reach the pinch of the Liechi Berry and for a natural powerful attack.The +1 pinch is very helpful in making a powerful priority move pick off revenge killers.

This won't be really good for Standard because of Heatran. You can't even go Flash Fire back at him because he has an Earth Power to throw while Arcanine would need to use HP Ground or Dig....... Swampert won't get OHKO'd b Natural Gift, but he can easily OHKO with EQ.

Arcanine would be better off using Hidden Power Grass and a Life Orb than Liechi Berry and Natural Gift. The reason for this is that most of the Pokemon you want to hit are physically defensive, Rhyperior in UU, Hippowdon and Swampert in OU. Hidden Power Grass would hit them a lot harder. And you can only use Natural Gift once, while I don't think you can OHKO any of the aforementioned Pokemon.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Careful
252 HP/6 Atk/252 SpD
-Mean Look
-Tickle
-Payback
-Baton Pass

Viable at all?
The only reason I could see this being useful is to allow something like Mismagius to set up on a physical pokemon. Other than that, I see no reason not to use the Curse Pass set.

Kay ladies and n00bs, I have three sets to contribute to this tread today.. use them wisely! Now, I've posted them in peer edit form since they all will be peer edit worthy so i can just copy these once I get support and the will to write an edit. Okay to start, here is for Manaphy who will be on the standard ladder shortly:

[SET]
name: Rain Support
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Rest
item: Damp Rock
nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Spe
Ivs: 24 SpA

Okay so this set is a simple rain dance support set and many already attest to its effectiveness from using it on Suspect. Rain Dance for 8 Turns, then slam things with boosted Waterfalls. The idea of the set isn't to sweep really, but to set up your sweepers. But with solid attack you can use Waterfall if need be. Waterfall hits Calm Blissey for 51-62% in case she has any bright ideas about switching in (why do people switch Blissey into EVERYTHING jesus christ). But U-turn is the coolest move on the set. You have 254 speed here, enough to make sure you outspeed all defensive Celebi and all the bullshit that sits in that area, and modest Heatran, though if you want a slow U-turn you could just max out attack and use Brave nature with a 0 IV. But outspeeding Celebi is cool so you can U-Turn before she Energy Balls you (expect them to switch over with Manaphy everywhere). U-Turn hits a max Def Celebi for ~50% min and hits N00basnow for about the same so you can piss them off.

KK, so here is a second set.. its Togekiss!!!! This set wasn't received well when i tried promoting it on Shoddy, but once I cleaned one kids clock with it he promptly backed it.

[SET]
name: Ancientpower
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Ancientpower
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 168 HP / 104 SpA / 236 Spe

So this is a standard Plotkiss but has two differences, it is faster and has Ancientpower. You hit 280 Speed which should surprise a lotta things because people think Togekiss is a slow fucker. You outspeed and OHKO Adamant Luke with Air Slash mwahahaha. Now, Ancientpower serves two purposes, it is a 100% accurate finisher move with the BEST potential side effect in the game (albeit only an impressive 20% chance!), and it hits your main counter, Zapdos for some hefty damage. After a plot you do ~30-35% to defensive Zapdos with Air Slash, and 62-74% with Ancientpower, meaning you can flinch it once then go for blood with Ancientpower. Aside from beating Zapdos, you can use this tactic for other slower flying pokemon like Gyarados. But the point of the set is play it like standard plotkiss (with more speed!), Flinching things slower than you, then using Ancientpower to finish. If you grab a boost, your speed becomes 420, and you will probably slice through the other team like butter with +3 SpA, and +1 everything else!

Kay n00bs, final set is Dragonite. Again, people will say what the fuck when they see this but shut up and listen!

[SET]
name: The New Offensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Earthquake / Fire Punch
move 4: Extremespeed
item: Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe

Okay so this Dragonite looks foolish with Dragon Dance + Extremespeed but hear me the fuck out! So Dragonite should never do things that Salamence can outclass it with, so Dragon Dance + Extremespeed Mence can't do. Rayquaza does it in ubers sometimes so why can't Nite? The idea is that Dragonite has mediocre speed, so with this set you hit 234 Speed and the rest of the EVs are concentrated into HP to utilize your bulk. After a Dragon Dance, you hit 351 Speed, which outspeeds Latias so you can put her out of her misery. The reason you don't need any more speed than this is what this set exposes and that is the fact that pokemon faster than Latias are usually frail. The other plus is we also know how useful Priority Sweeping is, especially with Choice Scarf users everywhere. So in the lategame, Dragonite becomes much harder to revenge kill, especially if your using this with Spikes and most things are weakened. Otherwise, this place just like a standard Dragon Dance Dragonite. But lets take a look at some damage calculations against faster OU threats shall we?

+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Azelf: 87.6-100%
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Starmie: 83.9-98.9% (74% OHKO SR)
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Jolteon: 100%

And some common Scarfers:

+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Heracross: 80.7-95.2% (47% OHKO SR)
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Flygon: 76.4-90% (100% OHKO after 2 switch-ins)
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Latias: 69.1-81% (46% OHKO after 2 switch-ins)

so as you can see, Extremespeed has useful utility in catching some frailer threats off guard, as well as if you use this on a spikes team (which I strongly recommend) you can out-priority some some common priority users. Take a look:

+1 LO Extremespeed vs. 248 HP / Min Scizor: 27.7-37.7%
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Lucario: 46.9-55.4%
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Mamoswine: 63.71-75%

So yeah, go have some fun with these sets!

PS... grrr sprites aren't working!

A few corrections here:

+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Flygon: 76.4-90% (13% OHKO after 2 switch-ins)
After two switch-ins, Flygon is left with a minimum of 265 HP (88%) assuming only indirect damage, which is what I assume from your other calcs.

+1 LO Extremespeed vs. 248 HP / Min Scizor: 27.7-32.7%
+1 LO Extremespeed vs. Min / Min Lucario: 45.2-53.4%

Hello. This is my first pokemon moveset post, so sorry if it seems adequate ahead of time. Anyways, I have created a set for Hitmonchan, a very, very underrated pokemon. This set can be used in either UU or OU. Please respond with suggestions or questions or any other type of comments and I will respond to them. Anyways, here's the set.

Bulk-Up Chan
Move 1: Bulk Up
Move 2: Drain Punch
Move 3: Mach Punch
Move 4: Ice Punch/Thunderpunch
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP, 100 Atk, 56 Def, 100 SP.Def

The idea behind this set is to bring it in on something that it can force out, bulk up on the switch, and respond accordingly. Though drain punch has a mediocre base power of 60, you will find it to be a great tanking move after you factor in STAB, the boost from Iron Fist, and the bulk up. Drain Punch then becomes a high powered attack that has the invaluable effect of restoring HP. Mach Punch is there for priority and finishing off weakened foes. The decision between thunderpunch and ice punch depends on what you wish to take out. In UU, Slowbro can wall this set if you don't run thunderpunch, and you will find slowbro a common switch in to hitmonchan. However, Venusaur can come in easily on the set lacking ice punch. In OU, the recommended move is ice punch, because other than providing extremely good type coverage, it can take out many common OU poekmon, such as salamence and gliscor. Thunderpunch is viable, but is only useful in taking out gyarados.

Many switch-ins to hitmonchan will be pokemon trying to will-o-wisp it, so having pokemon that can benefit from it, like pokemon with flash fire or guts, are great pokemon to have with hitmonchan. In both OU and UU it is important to pair Hitmonchan with a powerful pursuiter. In UU, slowbro can wall Hitmonchan really well, so a good teammate for it is Absol, who is a powerfull pursuiter that can largely dent or even kill slowbro. In OU, the rotom forms are a huge threat to hitmonchan as well. Good, powerful pursuiters do a great job at taking out these pokemon, such as tyranitar or scizor. After these pokemon are cleared, hitmonchan will be free to set up and start tanking.

The Ev spread to this hitmonchan is unique, but necessary for htimonchan to tank to it's fullest potential. 252 Ev's in Hp are a necessity for all tanking pokemon, as it gives them that necessary bulk. The 100 sp.def ev's and a careful nature allow hitmonchan to take the most powerful of all special attacks from the metagame, including a draco meteor from salamence or latias, fire blast or overheat from heatran, an adaptibility tria attack from porygon-z, and many more (I will show calculations at the bottom). The defensive ev's allow hitmonchan to handle scizor very well. With the 100 defense ev's, hitmonchan is 3HKO'd by a choice banded, technincian bullet punch (Which does 38.33-45.33%). Switch hitmonchan in on a well-predicted bullet punch, bulk up the next turn and then drain punch to restore lost hp. With leftovers healing, hitmonchan will never he killed by the third bullet punch. The 100 atk ev's are there to give hitmonchan some extra power.

Calculations for Damage from Common Special Attacks with 100 Special Defense EV's, 252 HP Ev's and a Careful Nature:

(All at Sp.Atk Boosting Nature)
Max Sp.Atk Salamence Draco Meteor: 56.57-66.44%
Max Sp.Atk Latias Draco Meteor: 56.57-66.44%
Max Sp.Atk Heatran Fire Blast: 54.6-64.14%
Max Sp.Atk Heatran Overheat: 63.84-74.67%
Max Sp.Atk Porygon-Z Adaptibility Tri Attack: 50.32-59.21%

(If you have any other calculations you ant me to do, just let me know and I will be happy to do it)

Please respond with any type of comment what so ever and thanks again.

[SET]
name: The New Offensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Earthquake / Fire Punch
move 4: Extremespeed
item: Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
The only problem I see with this set is you have to choose, Earthquake OR Fire Punch. That's gonna mean you're more easily walled - if you have both the only thing that stops you is Skarmory (and if you go Fire Blast rather than Punch even that doesn't stop you).

I guess the set would do best if you prevent or spin away rocks. When SR is around Dragonite (and Salamence) often only get one chance to sweep, especially when using Life Orb.

I mean they are common revenge killers(Or at least want to be) to take out hitmonchan the following turn. Just drain punch after their attack to restore hp, and mach punch if the Drain punch didn't kill, even though it probably will. Sorry I wasn't clear on them being revenge killers.

About that Hitmonchan set, I used to make a similar set with Gallade.

Gallade@Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
Night Slash/Shadow Sneak

Good Special Defense and Attack stat with a mediocre Defense calls for Bulk Up to last a while. Drain Punch sucks HP away. Ice/ThunderPunch hits Flying types who can hurt Gallade. I'm leaning towards ThunderPunch so Skarmory or Suicune can get hit harder to try to stop Phazing from happening. Night Slash is used to hit Ghosts who can give Gallade trouble. Shadow Sneak can be used to deal with Gengar but it requires a Bulk Up or two to actually OHKO.
Drain Punch should be used wisely because 8 PP sucks. Low Defense/High HP Pokemon should watch out for this set.

KK, so here is a second set.. its Togekiss!!!! This set wasn't received well when i tried promoting it on Shoddy, but once I cleaned one kids clock with it he promptly backed it.

[SET]
name: Ancientpower
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Ancientpower
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 168 HP / 104 SpA / 236 Spe
Altough I have to admit I haven't tested this and I'm not a pro in pokemon, I see some troubles with this set. First, flying + rock leaves you walled by some steels, metagross that can come in, set up agility and thunderpunch you, magnezone laughs at both attacks and outspeeds you with a scarf. Jirachi can also thunderpunch you or win the flinch game with ironhead. Once your opponent discovers you're not runnig aura sphere, he can send tyranitar and dd up, stone edge you or use crunch, that has the same possibility or lower your defense as ancient power boosting your stats. Super effective ancientpower is just a bit stronger that STAB air slash, with the exception of zapdos, so I'd rather use aura sphere. Again, that's just my opinion and may be wrong.

I mean they are common revenge killers(Or at least want to be) to take out hitmonchan the following turn. Just drain punch after their attack to restore hp, and mach punch if the Drain punch didn't kill, even though it probably will. Sorry I wasn't clear on them being revenge killers.
You could also try giving hm a salac berry if youre good with calculating damage =0 I ru nwith Drain Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Bulk-Up

252atk/252speed Jolly Nature

Kay ladies and n00bs, I have three sets to contribute to this tread today.. use them wisely! Now, I've posted them in peer edit form since they all will be peer edit worthy so i can just copy these once I get support and the will to write an edit. Okay to start, here is for Manaphy who will be on the standard ladder shortly:

[SET]
name: Rain Support
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Rest
item: Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Spe
Ivs: 24 SpA

Okay so this set is a simple rain dance support set and many already attest to its effectiveness from using it on Suspect. Rain Dance for 8 Turns, then slam things with boosted Waterfalls. The idea of the set isn't to sweep really, but to set up your sweepers. But with solid attack you can use Waterfall if need be. Waterfall hits Calm Blissey for 51-62% in case she has any bright ideas about switching in (why do people switch Blissey into EVERYTHING jesus christ). But U-turn is the coolest move on the set. You have 254 speed here, enough to make sure you outspeed all defensive Celebi and all the bullshit that sits in that area, and modest Heatran, though if you want a slow U-turn you could just max out attack and use Brave nature with a 0 IV. But outspeeding Celebi is cool so you can U-Turn before she Energy Balls you (expect them to switch over with Manaphy everywhere). U-Turn hits a max Def Celebi for ~50% min and hits N00basnow for about the same so you can piss them off.
Looks good, although giving free turns to gyra, mence, breloom, or other kingdra is never good. Is a special set with ice beam and surf viable (ib over u-turn)? You arguably wanna be slower then celebi to absorb any attacts or twave/leach seed aimed at your sweepers. i feel that toxic should be slashed in somewhere to deal with vaporeon and blissey (if you use the special set). and i will be running leaf storm on my celebis not energy ball.

Hello. This is my first pokemon moveset post, so sorry if it seems adequate ahead of time. Anyways, I have created a set for Hitmonchan, a very, very underrated pokemon. This set can be used in either UU or OU. Please respond with suggestions or questions or any other type of comments and I will respond to them. Anyways, here's the set.

Bulk-Up Chan
Move 1: Bulk Up
Move 2: Drain Punch
Move 3: Mach Punch
Move 4: Ice Punch/Thunderpunch
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP, 100 Atk, 56 Def, 100 SP.Def
Please respond with any type of comment what so ever and thanks again.
Id use lum berry so you are not breloom bait since you already have healing with drain punch. Sorry im a bit paranoid of him. It also lets you avoid a Wow from a bulky ghost (though you cant do much back). IMO hitmonchan is outclassed by:

About that Hitmonchan set, I used to make a similar set with Gallade.

Gallade@Leftovers
Careful
Steadfast
252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
Night Slash/Shadow Sneak
What do those eves do? And why isnt stone edge slashed in?

Altough I have to admit I haven't tested this and I'm not a pro in pokemon, I see some troubles with this set. First, flying + rock leaves you walled by some steels, metagross that can come in, set up agility and thunderpunch you, magnezone laughs at both attacks and outspeeds you with a scarf. Jirachi can also thunderpunch you or win the flinch game with ironhead. Once your opponent discovers you're not runnig aura sphere, he can send tyranitar and dd up, stone edge you or use crunch, that has the same possibility or lower your defense as ancient power boosting your stats. Super effective ancientpower is just a bit stronger that STAB air slash, with the exception of zapdos, so I'd rather use aura sphere. Again, that's just my opinion and may be wrong.
I agree. The only couter that set really beats is zapdos.That set also cant get past usual counters like blissey and rotom-a (more common then zapdos). I'd raher use twave or aura sphere to at least damage steels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)