The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

Good to see the Bengals and Packers won, but Vikings messed up even though they had a nice comeback... (my 3 favourite teams btw)

question about the fantasy thing:

Can I enter it at this time or do I have to wait for the new season?

playoffs fanasty football can be played on websites or just set it up between some friends. a lot of fanasty football had/will have their championship week 16/17.

lol Vikings...Bears sure showed them...uh, somehow.

Jets just need to win to clinch their spot...seeing how the Bengals will likely be resting some starters, and they aren't exactly that stellar anyways, it's possible. Ravens should "easily" clinch the other spot since their opponent is the Raiders, and I don't think they'll upset here...otherwise, Steelers should take this spot. Not giving the Broncos a chance, they don't control their own playoff spot, they're potentially out even if they win (which they should). Would be pure lulz if Dolphins or Jaguars somehow squeek in...that would be amazingly cool because they would literally need stars to align to do that.

woah.

Can't beleive that the Bears pulled that off.
Usually, the Bears like to suck it hardcore (ususally)

Hope the Texans get into the playoffs.
And hopefully the Cowboys can win the East, but with the looks of last years *quivers* chances don't look to pretty.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Bears can be good if Cutler is playing well, which he was last night. If they can shut down the turnover machine for a while they have the talent to be decent. Also remember any bad team can have a good day...look at who the Raiders and Bucs have beaten!

Jets are the luckiest team in the world getting to face two teams back to back that might rest their starters, and just happen to be in a position to make the playoffs. I pray that Cincinnati and New England actually value the third seed and both win, letting the Steelers grab the final seed.

Also...thoughts on the Pro Bowl selections? I personally find it odd that Ed Reed made it but Polamalu didn't, seeing as how both have spent most of the season injured. Polamalu is usually a pretty automatic pick, even in his bad years.

Also...thoughts on the Pro Bowl selections? I personally find it odd that Ed Reed made it but Polamalu didn't, seeing as how both have spent most of the season injured. Polamalu is usually a pretty automatic pick, even in his bad years.
ed reed played 11 games, polamalu only played FIVE.

although, ed reed really didn't have a spectacular year. he had 45 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and 3 INTs. polamalu had 20 tackles and 3 INTs. at least jairius byrd made it.

also, jason witten? really?

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Jason Witten got hot at the end of the year but still, for the first half of the year he was basically a non factor. How the hell he got in over Tony Gonzalez amazes me.

Five Ravens got in, which I found interesting - Ray Rice and Ngata getting some love. I love McClain and I am happy he has made his second straight Pro Bowl! The Ravens really need to use him to wear down the defense and then let Rice run right past them. I thought Lewis was a good choice as usual, but I agree Ed Reed was a bit sketchy. Were there any other deserving candidates? If not I can see why, but I'm not sure. Fun fact though: his INT return yards is only 8 less than Byrd's, even though Byrd has 6 more INTs.

Also, I definitely thought Schaub should have gotten in over Brady - leading the league in Passing Yards and doesn't even make the Pro Bowl?

goddamn all you do is bitch and moan. Are you a woman?

Glad to see Aaron Rodgers got into his first Pro Bowl! him and Favre back together!
How is my post complaining? Where do you see me making excuses for the Vikings and trying to say that they are better than the last 4 games would indicate? There is absolutely no "bitching" or "moaning" going on, there is only stating of facts. Maybe you can't accept the fact that the Vikings are a godawful team, but it's incredibly obvious to me. Unlike some of the other fine users of this forum, I never try to make excuses for my team when they fuck up. You will almost never see me complain about a bad call or anything like that. I just accept the fact that the Vikings are and always will be a massive disappointment. Maybe your team has actually had some success in it's entire existence, but Minnesota certainly hasn't found any in 48 years.

In regards to the Pro Bowl, all of the Vikings that made it deserved it aside from McKinnie and possibly Favre. How many QBs are selected for the Pro Bowl? 3? If so, then I could see Favre as the third string, but Rodgers and Brees are certainly much better than him.

No, he was right. It was bitching and moaning. Now whether or not it is "acceptable bitching" is another subject...you certainly did employ way too much hyperbole, so you overreacted a little, but to see what seemed like a dream season turning to shit is certainly something to react to negatively. Although then again, you had to know what you were getting into with the Favre experience after last year...

I am unsure why you think making excuses and bitching is mutually exclusive though.

Anyway, you could word it better and it is bitching, but you are also a passionate sports fan, so I think it is a proper reaction personally.

I can't picture the Cowboys beating the Eagles.

The banged up Steelers may get into the playoffs after all. The Patriots will walk over the Texans if Brady plays full length (which I highly doubt, I doubt he will play past halftime), and the Bengals vs Jets game is a toss up. The Ravens will molly-whop the Raiders though.

It would be sad to see the previous champions not even make the playoffs.

I would like to see my favorite team, the Patriots, win another Super Bowl.

honestly, i think the jets would beat the bengals even if they played the full game so i'm not too high on pittsburgh's playoff hopes.

How is my post complaining? Where do you see me making excuses for the Vikings and trying to say that they are better than the last 4 games would indicate? There is absolutely no "bitching" or "moaning" going on, there is only stating of facts. Maybe you can't accept the fact that the Vikings are a godawful team, but it's incredibly obvious to me. Unlike some of the other fine users of this forum, I never try to make excuses for my team when they fuck up. You will almost never see me complain about a bad call or anything like that. I just accept the fact that the Vikings are and always will be a massive disappointment. Maybe your team has actually had some success in it's entire existence, but Minnesota certainly hasn't found any in 48 years.

In regards to the Pro Bowl, all of the Vikings that made it deserved it aside from McKinnie and possibly Favre. How many QBs are selected for the Pro Bowl? 3? If so, then I could see Favre as the third string, but Rodgers and Brees are certainly much better than him.
Well, not once did I say you made excuses..I Just said all you do is bitch..like saying "the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL" and saying they're just a huge disappointment because they've never won a Super Bowl. QQ more. it gets old. Most fans would be happy their team won 2 division titles in a row. Look at the Lions....I'm sure people wouldn't say they're the worst team in the NFL.

And the "possibly" Favre thing..wtf...he's the second highest rated QB in the league...I just checked, now he's third. he's .2 behind Rivers. Peterson didn't have a great year...but he did better than most of the RBs in the NFC...so yeah, he should be in, too.

Well, not once did I say you made excuses..I Just said all you do is bitch..like saying "the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL" and saying they're just a huge disappointment because they've never won a Super Bowl. QQ more. it gets old. Most fans would be happy their team won 2 division titles in a row. Look at the Lions....I'm sure people wouldn't say they're the worst team in the NFL.

And the "possibly" Favre thing..wtf...he's the second highest rated QB in the league...I just checked, now he's third. he's .2 behind Rivers. Peterson didn't have a great year...but he did better than most of the RBs in the NFC...so yeah, he should be in, too.
I'm sorry, but I just don't consider what I said "bitching". I am not really whining about the Vikings, because I have pretty much accepted that they will always fail at this point. I do find it laughable that any of you ever thought that they would amount to anything, though. And no, I don't think any fan would be happy if they had been repeatedly disappointed throughout the entire franchise history. Any reasonable fan would realize that a season without a Super Bowl win is a failure, especially when the team has had more than enough talent to win the Super Bowl on more than one occasion. I guess I don't understand what I'm supposed to say when my team sucks so badly =/ I suppose I could just say nothing, but then I would never get to vent about how disappointing the Vikings are. Like I said, I'm not going to post in this thread with a bunch of excuses for my team and say things like OH YEAH I CAN TOTALLY SEE THE VIKINGS MAKING A RUN AT THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR, THEY'RE SO GOOD BUT INJURIES BAD CALLS OTHER RETARDED EXCUSES BLAGH BLAGH BLAGH. I'm not going to fill myself with some false hope, because it only hurts more when you expect to succeed and fail miserably regardless.

I said that Peterson, Kevin Williams, Jared Allen, Hutchinson (the only good offensive lineman that the Vikings have), etc. all deserved to get in. The only Vikings players who did not deserve to go to the Pro Bowl are McKinnie and Favre. McKinnie is just lol, I don't even really need to say anything about him. Julius Peppers made a career out of raping him a few weeks ago, and he got dismantled by whoever the Cardinals had on him as well. Favre has a high rating because he played a bunch of shitty defenses early in the year and padded his stats, and now that he had to play some reasonably talented defenses he has completley fallen apart. Also, stats do not indicate everything. The Packers somehow have an even worse offensive line than the Vikings do, forcing Rodgers to throw under pressure constantly. This leads him to throwing more interceptions and having a worse completion percentage than Favre. The fact remains that Aaron Rodgers has far more talent than Brett Favre at this point in time. I would say that Favre was much better in past years, but over the last few seasons he has greatly depreciated in skill. Also, I don't think that there should ever be any argument about who is better between Brees and Favre, because the answer is painfully obvious. Brees is a fucking monster and continues to succeed with a bunch of nobodies for receivers, while Favre consistently has excellent targets to throw to and is still outperformed by Brees.

Can't wait for the Cowboys game this Sunday.

Or the Texans game.

I would like to see the Texans make the Playoffs, though.

Vikings are really digging their hole deeper right now.
They're not SUPERBOWL BOUND.

the vikings have a guaranteed spot in the playoffs... =.=
To be exact, all of the teams in the NFC have guaranteed themselves spots in the playoffs, but the seeding could still change quite a bit. Dallas could still end up winning their division IIRC, and the Vikings, Cardinals, and Eagles/Cowboys could all be as high as the 2 seed or as low as the 4 seed. The Packers may still be able to fall to the 6 seed, though I'm not sure about that.

Also, I hope fine user Zenotwapal realizes the context in which I said the caps line (I was saying that that statement is NOT something I would say, because it is so utterly false).

I believe that the Steelers will make the playoffs. The Jets just aren't consistent enough to beat the Bengals. The Steelers will end the year with thier 7th ring.

The Bengals will probably sit their starters in the second half...and it's not like the Bengals are playing very consistently...
Don't get me wrong, I love the Bengals, and I do think they would beat the jets, but I doubt they'll go all out.

Can't wait for the Cowboys game this Sunday.

Or the Texans game.

I would like to see the Texans make the Playoffs, though.

Vikings are really digging their hole deeper right now.
They're not SUPERBOWL BOUND.
Way to correct yourself, but nobody had them even Super Bowl bound anyway =/

I believe that the Steelers will make the playoffs. The Jets just aren't consistent enough to beat the Bengals. The Steelers will end the year with thier 7th ring.
See, aren't you guys glad I don't make dumbshit posts like this? This fine user here has the most ridiculous optimism I've ever seen. The Steelers making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl? Are you KIDDING me? Come on man, I know you like your team, but that's so absurd it can't even be put into words. While they might (and I say that tentatively) be the best team in their division, the Steelers are not even the best team in the AFC. I would put the Colts, Chargers, Pats, and maybe the Bengals all above the Steelers, and I don't even like any of those teams. I'm sorry, but when your team loses to Kansas City, Oakland, and Cleveland, you can NEVER say that they will win the Super Bowl. Not only that, but they barely beat the Vikings! THE VIKINGS! Even the lowly Panthers gave the Vikings a good thrashing! Let's be realistic here dude, the Steelers won't make it past the divisional round, if they even make it that far. Even if they did somehow make it to the Super Bowl, the Saints would more than likely be waiting there to demolish them.

See, aren't you guys glad I don't make dumbshit posts like this? This fine user here has the most ridiculous optimism I've ever seen. The Steelers making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl? Are you KIDDING me? Come on man, I know you like your team, but that's so absurd it can't even be put into words. While they might (and I say that tentatively) be the best team in their division, the Steelers are not even the best team in the AFC. I would put the Colts, Chargers, Pats, and maybe the Bengals all above the Steelers, and I don't even like any of those teams. I'm sorry, but when your team loses to Kansas City, Oakland, and Cleveland, you can NEVER say that they will win the Super Bowl. Not only that, but they barely beat the Vikings! THE VIKINGS! Even the lowly Panthers gave the Vikings a good thrashing! Let's be realistic here dude, the Steelers won't make it past the divisional round, if they even make it that far. Even if they did somehow make it to the Super Bowl, the Saints would more than likely be waiting there to demolish them.
The panthers have actually been playing very good football for the past few weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)