New OU List (January 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So, ladies and gentlemen, the new OU list, and first of this new year, is in.

As DougJustDoug commented in his recently released statistics, it seems like the Standard metagame is becoming more and more, er, standard. This is confirmed by the fact that the new OU list features no new Pokemon at all, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time, I believe.

However, it loses two Pokemon due to lack of usage. These Pokemon are Cresselia and Porygon-Z. Heracross fans can breathe a sigh of relief: your Bug/Fighting Pokemon is still OU. :)

After a brief consultation with reachzero, who is one of the people in charge of the UU process, it was decided that these two Pokemon will go directly to UU, because the latest UU testing has just finished (banishing Honchkrow and Gallade once again to BL). But more about that in the thread pertaining to the UU list, which will be up soon (and which has much more exciting new Pokemon in it, besides Porygon-Z and Cresselia, of course!). So stay tuned for that as well!

Okay, for the sake of completeness, here's the new OU list, containing just 45 Pokemon:

Code:
Aerodactyl
Azelf
Blissey
Breloom
Bronzong
Celebi
Dragonite
Dusknoir
Electivire
Empoleon
Flygon
Forretress
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Heatran
Heracross
Hippowdon
Infernape
Jirachi
Jolteon
Kingdra
Latias
Lucario
Machamp
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Metagross
Ninjask
Roserade
Rotom-A
Salamence
Scizor
Skarmory
Smeargle
Snorlax
Starmie
Suicune
Swampert
Tentacruel
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Weavile
Zapdos

(45 Pokemon)

Thanks X-Act!

I still do not see how Electivire and Dusknoir remain OU but UU with Cress will be interesting!

Cresselia in UU seens interesting.
It's a relief Heracross is still OU, it would dominate the metagame just like Gallade did.

Sort of surprised to see those two go down, especially all the way down to UU. I don't battle as much as most active users on this site, but personally I've seen a lot of walling Cresselia and Choice Scarf Porygon-Z.

I know this isn't saying much, but those two are probably among the top 10 most-used on the Wi-Fi Battle Tower, and I do use that alot. Personally, I've never been a fan of Cresselia since IMO there are better bulky options, and Porygon-Z is basically a Scarf Poke and loses a lot of versatility there, but still.

Also surprised to see nothing new on the OU list.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Will I never get to use Heracross in UU?

Anyways, thank you kindly X-Act. Could be seeing the first actual use of the defensive characteristic here.

Porygon-Z and Cress in UU is just plain moronic. Seriously, you can't just judge things through usage meters, have you even seen how broken Alakazam has been? UU is probably one of the more broken tiers at the moment.
Have you been playing UU? Alakazam is good, but nowhere near broken, and not many people seem to be having problems with it.

It's good that Heracross is still OU, it would have dissapointed a lot of people when it wasn't. Cresselia in UU might be a though one, I don't see any real counters there like Scizor or Tyranitar!

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Porygon-Z shouldn't be too bad in UU with all the priority running around. Should be interesting.

cress will still be set up bait for some sweepers in UU like missy and raikou. if they switch in on a status move they are fucked though

Porygon-Z in UU...didn't see that one coming. But it sounds like it'll be a blast to use. 90 base speed is pretty good in UU, and free +1 on switch in is deadly.

It will be hard to build a team around abusing Porygon-Z, but it will be interesting to see how the metagame reacts.

Anti-metagaming.... go!

P-Z is going to dominate UU completely and get moved back to OU.P-Z needs back that hype it use to have ;_;.

Thank the lord almighty. Now that PGon-Z has gone down, maybe PGon2 will go up. We can only hope. Also, nobody new? I wonder if the tiers are now slowing down, unless somebody finds the ultimate Dustox set.

Is Uxie likely to drop in UU usage due to Cresselia's appearance? Since Uxie's mostly outclassed by Cresselia (though the pixie is faster and gets Memento).

EDIT: Porygon2 in a higher tier than Porygon=Z, now that WOULD be weird. And yet entirely possible (if a bit unlikely)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heracross fans can breathe a sigh of relief: your Bug/Fighting Pokemon is still OU. :)
?

Isn't that a bad thing? If Hera went to UU due to usages I could use him both UU AND OU. I'm actually kinda disappointed. But I am GLAD to see Cress and Z here.

Is Uxie likely to drop in UU usage due to Cresselia's appearance? Since Uxie's mostly outclassed by Cresselia (though the pixie is faster and gets Memento).
Uxie will still be a reliable SR lead which is a role that Cress can't take and is Uxies main use in UU.

It will be fun to use Cress in UU. I wonder if Gallade will ever see the land outside of BL again tho...*sigh*

Porygon-Z will be pretty nice. I think a Sub/Plot set will work wonders, and TrickScarf/Specs will be great. What really enjoys taking boosted Tri Attacks, aside from ghost? All the Steels in UU are too slow for what is now a pretty quick base 90 speed Pokemon, and he is not as fraigle as people would have you believe. No one will be running a bulky Porygon-Z set, but 85/70/75 is OKAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)