The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but when the Champions League match will be played, a lot of key players will return. For example, I hope that Van der Sar will return to the Manchester United squad since he's wife had a bad cerebral infarction. Also the whole Manchester United midfield didn't play against Leeds, so that will change too. I don't expect that they will play as bad as against Leeds, but it will still be a close match against AC Milan

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
should his surgery prove to be a success, hargreaves will make a huge difference to uniteds play. i believe he is a world class cdm. put him with fletcher/carrick/anderson in midfield and it will improve greatly. however we cant be sure he will have recovered fully, and unfortunately i cant see him playing week-in, week-out -- he will be used sparingly.

There was so much hype about Anderson when he arrived at old trafford, being touted as the next ronaldinho. As far i can see, they share little more in common than the fact they both came from Gremio.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anderson usually has a good game IMO. He has bags of energy and always 'does the dirty work' in midfield, but a lot of the time due to him have the most stamina and drive power in our midfield, he's used as the attacking central midfield a lot, which I feel is wrong. As you can see, his goal return and assist ratio do not suggest he's that kind of player. He's behind Carrick and Fletcher, they can do what he does arguably better most of the time, but they actually score the odd goal and create goals as well. I rate Anderson, but he's still too young and if Hargreaves was fit Anderson would not make the Manchester United squad half as much as he does now.

Manchester United are missing an extra real quality midfielder and have been for some time now - it was just less noticeable when we have Cristiano Ronaldo as we could simply give the ball to him and he'd do something with it. We always had to defend less and have less of a build up during an attack because so many defenders feared Ronaldo. Now that he's gone, the weakened midfield is more noticeable. Valencia is doing great, don't get me wrong, but no one can match Ronaldo - I don't think even Messi can for what Ronaldo brings to a team. Manchester United simply don't play very well against decent, or hard-working opposition if we don't have Carrick or Fletcher, or both, in the middle.. It's been obvious for some time. Rotating them correctly is somewhat difficult, but even more so when we don't have Hargreaves (potentially our best central midfielder).

I think Sir Alex knows what he's doing though. He didn't get rid of Ronaldo until Hargreaves' knee surgery and some therapy was complete - and he hasn't dipped into the market for a top notch central midfielder as he's awaiting Hargreaves' return. If he can stay fit the whole year, he'll make a massive difference to the team. But it could be difficult to get him match fit in time for AC Milan, if he can even make it back properly before then.

Performance against Leeds was shocking - Valencia was our best player and he only played for half an hour. It just went to show that if we don't have the experience of Fletcher or Carrick in the midfield, we play badly. Welbeck is also shite on the wing but Fergie persists in playing him there. At least 1/2 of that midfield shouldn't have played against Leeds. Sir Alex said he was playing a strong team as he was going to play kids and fringe players against Man City - but if so then why did neither Carrick or Fletcher play? Obertan - Carrick - Fletcher - Park; would have been something worthwhile (or Anderson over Fletcher).

So, we have Manchester City tomorrow. An early FA Cup exit means that there is a degree of importance on the Carling Cup, so I can see that reflecting in Sir Alex's team selection. However, we have a tough trip to in-form Birmingham City on the Saturday, so players could still be rested. Due to the fucked up midfield selection against Leeds, I can see Fletcher and Carrick having to play at Man City and at Birmingham City in the space of three days. Valencia is going to have to play more, and I'm not sure what will happen with Giggs. I think Park should maybe start at City, with Giggs at Birmingham. Still voting Rooney and Berbatov up front all the way - but I can see Sir Alex playing 433 away at Man City :(

obertan.. gawd...
valencia cut them to shreads. if we started with him and the strikers hitting the barn door....
if we want a midfielder.. i wouldn't mind fergie trying his look at plucking lennon from tottenham, he could work well with his pace.

I think that Ashley Young of Aston Villa could be a very useful as a creative wingplayer for Manchester United. Together with Valencia they could be the wingplayers that can force the breakthroughts again like Ronaldo did in the days. With Valencia and Lennon/Young, Manchester United can play that beautiful game again like they use to when they had Ronaldo

thats my thoughts exactly..
so a small ammount of snow, alright a foot or so :P stops the carling cup games... are you telling me man city with all that cash, havn't ask the council for undersoil heating?

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Sir Alex will be looking to invest in another winger any time soon, not unless he flogs someone first and finds the ideal winger.

We have: Giggs (albeit used sparingly), Valencia, Nani, Obertan, Park, and Tosic. With the likes of Fletcher, Hargreaves, Gibson, and Welbeck used as wingers in some situations if needed.

This is why I highly doubt that Sir Alex is currently looking for another winger unless he's thinking about ditching some first (Nani, Tosic). However, if we do sell those two, I think we'll be very lucky to get £15million for the pair. When I say we need another world class midfielder, I mean someone who will play the central role.

Over the years you'd have to say Manchester United's main outlet from the middle of the park has been Paul Scholes - on the top of his game he's the only one comparable to the best midfielders from other big teams in England and Europe. Eg. Frank Lampard, Michael Essien, Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas, Xavi, Andrés Iniesta etc. But Scholes is obviously coming to the end of his career and we really lack a midfield player who is as creative or can score as many goals as the players listed above.

Obviously, we're still linked with wingers such as: David Silva, Franck Ribéry, Angel Di Maria, Neymar da Silva and more. I'd like us to sign David Silva if I'm honest, but the central midfield is where we're currently weakest. Marek Hamsik is a player who might be worthwhile in that regard.

We might well dip in for a striker soon too - but we're linked with way too many of those: Hulk, Benzema, Huntelaar, Aguero, Dzeko, Suárez, Villa etc. Dzeko or Huntelaar would be my favourites.

Also, apparently Real Madrid and Barcelona are in for Nemanja Vidic? If we lose him that'll be a massive blow. Real Madrid have also had the cheek to put in a £60million bid for Wayne Rooney, obviously not happening.

As for the game, I'm disappointed that there won't be mid-week football this week now :( but at the same time I'm happy as it allows us to field a stronger, or at least fresher team to face Birmingham on Saturday.

Just some advice fromt he portuguese market.
I wouldn't advise Hulk, at this time. Sure he's explosive and has physical strenght to top it off, but it's inconsistant. He's a match decider, but it would take at least to the end of the season to get him in Premiership form.
But then again, it wouldn't be a first (Ronaldo, Boa Morte, Anderson, Pedro Mendes...)

About Angel... well, he is ready to make the move (and not "jump", as i heard; Benfica is much more than an incubator). But I'd certainly apreciate if Fergie would let him help us getting some trophies first :P

Havak

I heard a report that Manchester United would be looking at a possible £20million deal for Hulk, however it'd be most likely in the Summer and not January. As a Man Utd fan I'm against that move. It's far too much money for him and I don't think he's the striker Man Utd need right now. There's much better value out there for that price tag in my opinion.

£20million for a player like Hulk is absolutely rubbish. How can someone that plays that inconsistent be worth some much? For that kind of money you can buy Dzeko or Huntelaar and save some money too. Manchester United already has too much midfielder and what does Hulk have what Carrick, Scholes or Fletcher(and later maybe Hargreaves) don't have? I would rather see Manchester United invest the £20million properly. Buy a striker of some sort, but not Hulk

Yes, when they want another offensive-player, then they must pay very much more. For about £20million yout don`t get an very good player at the moment. Manu sold CR for about £83millions to Real Madrid. Then they can now buy a player, who costs more then £20millions, or?

I think you don't realize what kind of money £20million is. I can tell you can get a lot of good player for that kind of money. As I really mentioned, Dzeko or Huntelaar are easily bought for that price. Especially Huntelaar who isn't playing a lot in Milan

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is strongly believed that United don't have money to spend in the transfer window. We're in hundreds of millions of pounds in debt, so it is near-assured that we won't buy your typical, £30-35 million player this January. Sir Alex, in a recent inerview, said that we will not invest in the market because "there's no value worth purchasing". We know this is rubbish -- it's simply difficult times ahead.

I'd forget about any winter signings from Manchester United!

thats not our debt... we have the ronaldo trnasfer money to spend.
but he is correct, there is no one worth buying, because of real madrid and man city who just outbid everyone, its not value for money, and liverpool said they would only sell torres for 140 mil which is rubbish lol
I think we should look into getting a another attacking midfeilder like lennnon though, spurs will only buy players if they sell, so perhaps lol

Taylor

i am alien
thats not our debt... we have the ronaldo trnasfer money to spend.
but he is correct, there is no one worth buying, because of real madrid and man city who just outbid everyone, its not value for money
I don't know where you've been since the Glaziers took over, but Manchester United are in an estimated £650m in debt. Money from the Ronaldo transfer will have been used for payments (or at least some of it).

No one worth buying? Given our current squad, there's value all over the world.

Australia drew 2-2 with Kuwait after being 2-0 up within 5 minutes :(. We now need a win to ensure that we qualify for the Asian Cup.

Fuck that take the 60M for Rooney and go buy David Villa and you would probably have a little left over(10-15m) and you end up with a better player who would get just as many if not more goals as well.

I think that you're underestimating Rooney. Rooney is more then just a striker. He's the person that can score and provide goalscoring opportunaties. David Villa is more the scoring striker. Someone that Manchester United absolutely need right now with Ronaldo missing, but not at the expense of Rooney.

Taylor

i am alien
Rooney is the heart and soul of United and the future of the team will be with him in mind.

Benzema off-loaded to United, in exchange for Vidic? There's been speculation over this and with the uncertainty surrounding Vidic's future at Old Trafford, a long-term target of Sir Alex may be tempting us to let Vidic leave?

Taylor

i am alien
no.. why would he want to sell one of our best defenders, which we need, for a player in an area we are not short of?
It's not always a case of "Manchester United's requirements", and by that I mean bolstering our squad and off-loading players we don't need. You see, there are times where the player will depart from the club as it is at their wish to do so (Ronaldo).

I mean do you really believe that it was beneficial to off-load the best player in the world? No, it was a buisness deal that we took advantage of because we knew Ronaldo wanted Madrid.

Vidic, according to reports, is unsettled at United and it is a well-known fact that Madrid are interested in the Serbian. As if that was not enough, his wife has made it very clear tha she is unhappy in England.

It doesn't look promising, in all honesty. There is a possibility of that happening.

Europe League 2009/2010

18 February 2010

AFC Ajax-Juventus
FC Twente-Werder Bremen
Hamburger SV-PSV

25 February 2010
Juventus-AFC Ajax
Werder Bremen-FC Twente
PSV-Hambuger SV

Any predictions? I think Juventus, FC Twente and Hamburger SV will advance. I hope AFC Ajax, FC Twente and Hamburger SV.

Havak

Yeah, if Vidic wants to go now, it could be more beneficial for Manchester United to let him go right away, in business terms. His contract is up soon, so the further down the line this drags on, the less money we'll get for him. Sell while the price is high if there's no alternative. Although, keeping Vidic for the remainder of this season could be the difference between winning some silver wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)