Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the reasons everyone pointed out, of which I approve, I would like to add the thought that the Pokémon Company also needs to keep milking their tournament clientele - as in they want the people who go to their tourneys to always have the most recent game - and so it makes perfect sense for the next generation to be released in late fall 2010 in Japan / spring 2011 in Europe and the U.S. with an Emerald remake coming in 2012 to... milk the hell out of people.

Other than that, since this is Game Freak, there's really only the possibility of Gen 3 remakes left. This is an actual realistic possibility. However, that would put Game Freak into a bit of a crunch in Gen 5, as that would force them to remake DP then, which would be way too soon for that. Having Gen 3 remakes in Gen 5 would keep the pacing nice, with an appropriately aged generation getting remade in the successive generations, and not leave them with something as new as DP getting remade. Plus, there have been numerous events for the majority of the RS legends in DP already, such as the Regi trio, Jirachi, and even Deoxys. The Titan trios themselves were made catchable in HG/SS, along with the Lati twins. All things considered, it's just too soon for RS remakes right now.
In that case, generation 5 will have remakes of the kanto and hoenn, 6 will have remakes of the jhoto and sinnoh, 7 will have remakes of kanto , hoenn, and generation 5, etc. When making remakes, Game freak screwed themselves over.

The DS is over 5 years old now, and new generations last around 4 years so that would mean either a new handheld is a long way away or it's going to support the DS somehow.
We have a new handheld - the DSi. People forget the DSi isn't just a DS with cameras - it's a more powerful console. Really, the DSi is to the DS as the Gameboy Colour was to the Gameboy. I think we will see more and more DSi-exclusive games released.

It makes sense to me for Generation 5 to be coming soon. If it is generation 5, I have an idea some people will like, and some will not like. You know how originally Ice did neutral damage against Fire, and they changed it so Fire resisted Ice. I think Dragons need to be nurfed. One solution I can think of is making Ice resist Dragon. It would make Ice types better, and Dragons a little bit worse.

I'm so hyped for this. IMO 5th gen, so many clues out there and perfect timing for them to release it. Maybe it'll include a time machine like g/s to be able to trade with d/p/pt/hg/ss =] Can't wait to check out the new pokemon and changes to the pokemon tiers it will cause ;]

i'm actaully wanting something to boost the electric types
and again...i'd like to see what the new legendaries would be (I know it's impossible to top off arceus+dragon trio's poewrs)...hmmm maybe something that can control trick room or gravity?

i'm actaully wanting something to boost the electric types
and again...i'd like to see what the new legendaries would be (I know it's impossible to top off arceus+dragon trio's poewrs)...hmmm maybe something that can control trick room or gravity?
Charge beam and Charge power them up but I'm sure this isn't what you ment.

Flareon can't get Flare Blitz due to the other Eevee's unable to learn Recoil moves. Eevee is the only one with a recoil move so Flareon doesn't have a chance unless Jolteon get's volt tackle,Leafeon get's wood hammer, and the others get their own. Entei on the other hand deserves flare blitz.

oh come on stop with the NEW MOVES OMG crap, and stick to the discussion. this happened with the hgss speculation, and platinum speculation too. if 5th gen is confirmed there will be a thread made and you can discuss it there

restating that I am 95% sure this is 5th gen.

Something like XD isn't a possibilty--those games are made by other companies, such as Genius Sonority in the case of Colosseum and XD. Game Freak, however, only sticks to the main games. And since we know that this game is being made by Game Freak, this isn't something like XD being talked about.
I know, I even mentioned that Gamefreak only makes the main games.. What I mean is that Gamefreak may have decided to do something different like Colo/XD to take them through the rest of the DS's life cycle and then release gen 5 for the next handheld. It's just a possibility.

We have a new handheld - the DSi. People forget the DSi isn't just a DS with cameras - it's a more powerful console. Really, the DSi is to the DS as the Gameboy Colour was to the Gameboy. I think we will see more and more DSi-exclusive games released.
Yeah, but if it does end up being Gen 5 the DS will last for another ~4 years meaning the DSi will be 6 years old and 10 for the regular. The DSi isn't a large enough upgrade to keep the DS lasting 10 years (just like the GBC upgrade didn't even last 3 years before the GBA). With Nintendo already spilling small details on the next gen handheld plus all the other rumors, it's very unlikely we won't have it by then, which is where I find this whole situation interesting that's all. As for DSi exclusive games, it's not a very wise decision as a developer considering the low install base - besides, the difference isn't even that significant. If Nintendo isn't using Pokemon to move units, I don't see them trying with anything else.

pokebeach.com has a translation of the announcement:
An entirely new "Pocket Monsters" series is under development for release in 2010.
The Pokemon Company (headed by Tsunekazu Ishihara) has announced that the newest work in the Pocket Monsters RPG series (Game Freak, Nintendo) is being developed for the Nintendo DS for release by the end of 2010.
Since its first entry, "Pocket Monsters Red and Green" from 1996, the "Pocket Monsters" series has received high acclaim from customers around the world for its distinctive universe and gameplay that involves communicating between different versions to trade and battle. Sales for the entire series have climbed to over 130,000,000 copies worldwide.
The "Pocket Monsters" series for the Nintendo DS made use of the dual screen, touch screen, and Wi-Fi connection for play. The latest project under development is a completely new work, coming four years after "Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl" which boasts worldwide sales of over 17,150,000 copies (over 5,800,000 in Japan). It should make an innovative, fresh start by adding even more new game play and new Pokemon.
Please anticipate a later article with news about the game's content.

Why the hell is everyone extrapolating remakes out until generation 7? In case you failed to notice, they remade the first two generations because they couldn't connect with the newer ones. So unless you think another big change in the underlying mechanics is in store, you just sound like a dumbass to me.

Maybe they will embed the 3D gameplay as featured in games such as PBR and take out some of the other contents, which would be nice...I guess.

Maybe it'll have action-RPG real time battling, like in Zelda or Kingdom Hearts. That would put the DS's 3d capabilities to good use.

This thread sure is going into wild speculation.

Maybe they will embed the 3D gameplay as featured in games such as PBR and take out some of the other contents, which would be nice...I guess.
Yeah, that's my thoughts on the way it'll go. On the first page, someone (I think Firestorm) mentioned Game Freak is looking for some 3D modelers. I really hope so, 3D Pokemon on the DS would be awesome.

Maybe it'll have action-RPG real time battling, like in Zelda or Kingdom Hearts. That would put the DS's 3d capabilities to good use.

This thread sure is going into wild speculation.
Look at the first page again; I think that 3D gameplay is a reasonable assumption.

No, no, no, no, NO way are they working on gen5 right now. They would NOT do that. Why? Well, before every generation in the past, we got some "Preview pokemon" (Donphan and Lugia for gen2, Wailmer and a few others for gen3, Mime Jr., Bonsly, Munchlax, and about half a dozen others for gen4)

I think, that for the 10th time this year, it's a bait-and-switch. Look, Ranger 3, Notched ear Pichu... how many of you think that they're just screwing with our minds?

On a side note, I'll cry if Pinser doesn't get Megahorn next generation.

Well PBR is 3D, yet it doesn't change the battle mechanism at all. What I speculated would be an absolutely massive difference.

I wonder if someone should make a contest based on predictions for the fifth gen.

No, no, no, no, NO way are they working on gen5 right now. They would NOT do that. Why? Well, before every generation in the past, we got some "Preview pokemon" (Donphan and Lugia for gen2, Wailmer and a few others for gen3, Mime Jr., Bonsly, Munchlax, and about half a dozen others for gen4)

I think, that for the 10th time this year, it's a bait-and-switch. Look, Ranger 3, Notched ear Pichu... how many of you think that they're just screwing with our minds?

On a side note, I'll cry if Pinser doesn't get Megahorn next generation.
Read Dtrain's post (can't quote it, too inconvenient on a Blackberry). New Pokemon=new generation. It's as simple as that.

And why would Pinsir get Megahorn? It has pincers, not horns.

Well PBR is 3D, yet it doesn't change the battle mechanism at all. What I speculated would be an absolutely massive difference.

I wonder if someone should make a contest based on predictions for the fifth gen.
I was referring to what you called "wild speculation", not the example you gave making fun of that speculation.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Everybody read Naxte's post on the second page (now linked in the OP) as it gives great logical insight as to why it's a probably Generation 5. A good number of the people who have posted in this thread realize this likelihood in spite of their surprise, but a good explanation by someone who has been paying attention to or is at least aware of these trends for the last decade is valuable when breaking news like this first comes out.

Also, since I can't resist, I said this last year with regard to the Suspect Test:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2379397

And there is a definitely time constraint, anyone who thinks we have forever to keep testing Gen 4 is going to be surprised when Gen 5 is likely announced this coming summer. As the longest facilitator of these tests, I have had this in mind forever, and have striven to test the most important things and as quickly as possible from the beginning
I meant announced in full detail and in Japan with respect to our simulators being able to implement the updates (like with Platinum and HGSS were), but yeah. To give a little more detail about the timelines:

RB was released in NA on September 30, 1998.
Yellow was released in NA on October 1, 1999.

GS was released in NA on October 14, 2000.
Crystal was released in NA on July 29, 2001.

RS was released in NA on March 19, 2003.
FRLG was released in NA on September 7, 2004.
Emerald was released in NA on May 1, 2005.

DP was released in NA on April 22, 2007.
Platinum was released in NA on March 21, 2009.
HGSS will be released in NA on March 14, 2010.

The main reason for the full two-year gap between Gen III and Gen IV, in my opinion, was the fact that FRLG and Emerald were released so close to each other. Even GS -> Crystal had 9½ months in between them, where that relatively short gap could be explained by the fact that Pokémon was still way too young to be concerned with remakes. I think the 7¾-month gap between FRLG and Emerald had more to do with FRLG being a hasty-inserted remake that I'd argue was released when it was mainly because TPC did not want a two-year gap without releasing a canonical Pokemon RPG.

It's no secret that TPC and Nintendo were disappointed in FRLG's sales, though I am not sure this facilitated an earlier release of Emerald (both here and in Japan) than would have occurred if FRLG hadn't sucked. If Emerald had been released 4-6 months later, a release that would have given FRLG over a year to "breathe", then we would have only had around 18 months between Gen III and Gen IV, which would have been much more reasonable and in line with genuine trends.

As it is now, an 18-month gap between Gen IV and Gen V would put us at around September 18, 2011 for an NA release, which means that, subtracting the given the typical 4-7 month lead time from Japan to NA releases, we are looking right at a February-May 2011 window for Japan to release this game.

That said, I want my Gen IV Pokemon Pinball already, sigh...though I guess the "trend" dictates that a pinball title would owe to Gen V since the first two were I and III (and neither were by Gamefreak so whatever)

I'll end with a funny note:

In November 2005, Nintendo Power reported that "Total sales from [Pokémon Emerald] would exceed the value of an actual emerald the size of Neptune. It's true."[69]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)