NBA Season 2009-2010

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Whilst the NFL all star system is a joke, when Allen fucking Iverson gets voted in you know that they are not even on the same level (although Garrard makes it closer). In other news WTF Andre Miller scoring 50 + points? Heh the NBA is definitely where amazing happens.

There's no way the Celtics are making it to the finals the way they've been playing.

Another note, I went to the Orlando/Detroit game today. Both teams looked terrible, tons of turnovers and general sloppy play. The Magic haven't really looked like title contenders lately either =/ (They've been playing this way for a couple of weeks, it was just surreal to see it in person).

Kevin Durant has sneakily become probably the best player at getting free throws + also making them, and is sneakily the reason that Melo and Durant are (well hello) exactly tied for #1 haha (29.7 each right now). Only Melo matches him http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/free-throws for sheer quantity and also being able to convert; obviously those guys are not yet Nowitzki let alone Nash level clutch, but Durant is in his THIRD YEAR! Melo was an always .800 shooter before this year http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1975 so I assume a lot of work must have gone into his free throws over the last offseason or something, but for Durant this is just PAR FOR COURSE. He was always a good shooter, but now he is getting so many a game and just icing them (11-11 and 14-14 in the last two games, both close games, both games where he also shot .500 fg...woooooooooo!).

Yeah Andre was on fire man! Torched the Mavs.
Uh, no? The Mavericks could give up 52 points to Goran Dragic at this point; Kidd and Barea could not defend a caterpillar at this point.

Kevin Durant has sneakily become probably the best player at getting free throws + also making them, and is sneakily the reason that Melo and Durant are (well hello) exactly tied for #1 haha (29.7 each right now). Only Melo matches him http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/free-throws for sheer quantity and also being able to convert; obviously those guys are not yet Nowitzki let alone Nash level clutch, but Durant is in his THIRD YEAR! Melo was an always .800 shooter before this year http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1975 so I assume a lot of work must have gone into his free throws over the last offseason or something, but for Durant this is just PAR FOR COURSE. He was always a good shooter, but now he is getting so many a game and just icing them (11-11 and 14-14 in the last two games, both close games, both games where he also shot .500 fg...woooooooooo!).

Uh, no? The Mavericks could give up 52 points to Goran Dragic at this point; Kidd and Barea could not defend a caterpillar at this point.
did you just name Nowitzki as a clutch player? Maybe hes been good with game winners this season, but hes not clutch.... At least there are way better clutch players to choose from when it comes to clutchness in games

Im really hoping Orlando steps up its game, being i Lakers fan, I hate the Celtics and personally don't like Lebron.

and yea Nowitzki is no clutch player lol

Oh sorry Lakers, maybe you are one of the ten people in the world not to get that Nowitzki is the best player at both getting free throws and nailing them. If you do not understand that this ends up being "clutch" plenty of the time, then go back to your pretend biased land!

You guys do know that Dirk has been the second most clutch player the last 2 seasons right?

I mean did you SEE what he did to Utah a couple months ago? That 4th quarter performance was one of the best all time.

Shut up HeroMasaki, clearly because Dirk relies in finesse instead of banging bodies with people enough, he is not tough and therefore not clutch. Do you know anything?!

No, clearly my brain remembers how un-clutch he was when the 8th seeded Warriors spanked him silly, and he blew a 2-0 lead in the NBA Finals (lost 3 straight games at home)... Even if you wanna argue that series was fixed, hes not clutch when it really matters. Only game he was clutch in that warriors series was Game 5 I believe, when they were down 9 and he just hit a bunch of random 3's. If they lost it wouldnt have mattered since nobody expected a comeback anyway. Its not biased either, I didnt even say Kobe is the most clutch player in the NBA right now, even though there are arguments to back that sort of claim. If Nowitzki can even do it once in a game that matters, please state it. Otherwise, there are way more players to name in the clutchness department

Shut up HeroMasaki, clearly because Dirk relies in finesse instead of banging bodies with people enough, he is not tough and therefore not clutch. Do you know anything?!
Wait... what? He's not clutch because he doesn't meet your almighty standard of "toughness"?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/columns/story?columnist=macmahon_tim&id=4747343

Please... just shut the hell up.

And you know bringing up that Golden State series (which was a massive failure on the Mavs' part) is nice and all but I love it when LA Kobes can blow 20-30+ point leads in The Finals yet Kobe gets no flak about being "clutch"

And trust me, by no means am I saying Kobe is not clutch, I'm just saying its unfair to label a player "unclutch" because of one or two series. Dirk obviously no longer regresses under pressure (which by the way is my definition of clutch)

EDIT:
I'm going to give Kirby the benefit of doubt and say that I probably misunderstood his clever attempt at sarcasm :)

^^^

I know hes blown series before, but lets think that over a bit.... Maybe he did lay down against the Suns in game 7... and against the Celtics in game 6.... but were the Lakers really favored in either series? They werent, the Mavs were a number 1 seed dude playing an 8th seed. I know the Warriors were 3-1 against the Mavs in the regular season, but its the playoffs..... Thats where your best players shine and you push through as a team, which the Mavs/Nowitzki failed to do. Im not even trying to say Kobe is this amazing clutch player either, because statistically hes not the most clutch player. My point is that hes definitely not top 5 in this league. I'll give him credit, hes been better the past few seasons, but those skeletons will come out come playoff time like they always do for Nowitzki

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I like what Utah has been doing lately. Their start was disappointing, but it seems like they are firing on all cylinders now. I'll be pleased if they can maintain this quality of play through the playoffs.

HeroMasaki, please never tell someone "shut the hell up" again until you are maybe 10 years older and actually have any semblance of "getting it"; right now, you clearly do not! I do not think you could have done much worse there in using bluster to try to act tough in a conversation despite there being no reason to be so aggressive or use any polemic at all, especially when I: a) called Nowitzki clutch in one post b) defended him when someone randomly, off topic from what I said started some bitchfest c) directly responded to your post with the stupidest possible invective, (mirroring what Lakers is trying to pretend makes him right before he could do so).

HeroMasaki, please never tell someone "shut the hell up" again until you are maybe 10 years older and actually have any semblance of "getting it"; right now, you clearly do not! I do not think you could have done much worse there in using bluster to try to act tough in a conversation despite there being no reason to be so aggressive or use any polemic at all, especially when I: a) called Nowitzki clutch in one post b) defended him when someone randomly, off topic from what I said started some bitchfest c) directly responded to your post with the stupidest possible invective, (mirroring what Lakers is trying to pretend makes him right before he could do so).
Myself said:
EDIT:
I'm going to give Kirby the benefit of doubt and say that I probably misunderstood his clever attempt at sarcasm :)

Yes, because I started a bitchfest when I just brought up a point of why what you said was wrong.... Just remember, youre the guy that literally tried to argue you had me beat in a randbat that nobody cares about =/

Yes HeroMasaki, I saw your edit; unfortunately, you forgot to take parts out like you saying "please shut the hell up" when you were taking the wrong line of reasoning.

Lakers needs some year old burn heal. No, you did not point out that I was wrong or why I was wrong, but instead said "did you just name Nowitzki as a clutch player?" and then provided no reasoning except "because I think so." If you do not like bitchfest, then perhaps nettling, petulant, or churlish are more your speed?

Anyway, I assume you think that things like "game winning shots" or "playoff series" are all that being clutch means from what you are saying and what you are acting like, but do not get that free throws, steas, blocks, or adding tons of wins or +/- to your team are all forms of being clutch. Nowitzki nails free throws and has added more wins to a franchise than most players could dream to add. Game winning shots are obviously pretty typically lucky, unless you are say Ray Allen (before this year at least), and playoff series are a team effort (seriously? you want to hold Erick Dampier against Dirk Nowitzki?), so I am going to put a lot of stock in steals, blocks, free throws, and wins.

I like how, most incredibly of all, only you brought up Kobe Bryant. Not only did you bring him up in an unwarranted manner while not clearly laying out any reasoning (OH MY GOD, A 1 SEED LOST TO AN 8 SEED, WOAHH!111111), but you did it again! Just taking any argument to gush over Kobe, I see. Next time I am trying to start a conversation about good, clutch free throw shooters like Durant, Melo, Nash, Nowitzki, et cetera, please keep your homerism and apparent urgent addiction to Kobe Bryant the hell out of it.

Kevin Garrett, I am really unhappy about the Jazz! I thought the Mavericks had one less problem to deal with (really good teams with nice point guards) with the Hornets' problems, but Deron Williams will light Kidd up in the playoffs like a three year old! Anyway, the Jazz look better than either the Nuggets or Mavericks right now, I would not worry about them stalling out too much.

^^^^^
If you actually watched some Dallas games years back, you would see how he fades out of the game when they need him most... I dont need stats to back me, I just need a person that actually watches basketball to know what im talking about. Plus, naming two key playoff series pretty much backs my point if you watched any of those series (I'll assume you didnt). When did I ever mention Kobe either as a top clutch player? "because statistically hes not the most clutch player"---- I just had to quote myself there to point out that I know Kobe isnt. Do I think Kobe has been more clutch in his career then Nowitzki? Definitely. Is he the most clutch player in the league? Not even close. And free throws? I'd put more stock into an actual shot in the last 1-2 minutes than free throws. When you have nobody guarding you, the only defender is your mind when you take free throws in a close game. Of course hes going to have a better chance hitting an unguarded free throw then a tough jumpshot or lay up. Again, did I not say that Kobe shies away sometimes in series they need him and name specific series? I'll name them again, Game 7 against the Suns, and Game 6 against the Celtics. Good Job buddy, youve once again proved that you obviously lack the reading ability to see that I have bashed Kobe more time in this thread than I do praise him.

Yeah, sure, I may be a Mavericks fan, but clearly I did not watch a single playoff series, like the three that he fucking tore up the year we won 5 of 6 finals games and managed not to come away with the title because of the worst refereeing since the Kings-Lakers.

Lack of reading ability? You just brought Kobe up unwarranted multiple times!

Yeah, clearly free throws are not clutch because you have no one guarding you. That is why so many players manage to shoot 50/40/90 in their careers, they are all so clutch!!!!

Wizards just had a pretty good comeback, especially against the Magic. Caron Butler had a pretty good game, no? Apparently it was disputed though before the comeback was official.

Are there any names up for trade right now? As in, big names? Couldn't Chris Paul end up somewhere soon if his team doesn't upgrade/win?

Yeah, sure, I may be a Mavericks fan, but clearly I did not watch a single playoff series, like the three that he fucking tore up the year we won 5 of 6 finals games and managed not to come away with the title because of the worst refereeing since the Kings-Lakers.

Lack of reading ability? You just brought Kobe up unwarranted multiple times!

Yeah, clearly free throws are not clutch because you have no one guarding you. That is why so many players manage to shoot 50/40/90 in their careers, they are all so clutch!!!!
like I said, the mind is their only defender. If you looked up statistics, players for sure hit more free throws in the clutch then actual jumpshots. Plus, youre a Mavs fan huh? So I mention Kobe, and even talk about how he hasnt been clutch while you continue to ride Dirks German beef? Looks like somebody is trying to put Dirk on a pedistool, not the other way around

Anyway, who else thinks the Nets are purposely tanking just the win the John Wall sweepstakes? They dont need a pg, but have expressed interest in trading Devin Harris if they can get value (Lakers put in a call on that one). Either way, John Wall would be a great pg for their team or a great trade piece. Plus, their team isnt god awful to where they should only have 4 wins

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Who else think that the Lakers are fucked in the playoffs because of any good team they have the worst point guard situation in the entire league by far. We are not winning this year folks, and i'm confident in saying so, unless
a) We trade someone like Odom for a decent PG
b) (This scenario won't happen) Our bench actually starts producing even vaguely like NBA players.

If not, I can see the Jazz/Nuggets causing us problems especially cause they match up with us decently on the interior. The Nuggets in particular scare the shit out of me!

I am clearly not on Dirk's "German beef"; you could not even tell I was a Mavericks fan! You thought I had not even watched him play, not even the playoff series! The topic was Kevin Durant; you randomly picked out some nonflaw and incredibly minor detail in what I was talking about (which was not wrong at all - in this season, the #3 player at getting lots of free throws and making them is Dirk, at a more accurate completion, but less prolific gain than Durant or Melo) to harp on about something, possibly just to put the topic on Kobe Bryant, possibly just because you have some ridiculous dislike of Dirk Nowitzki. Even if your reasons were not so petty, it was still all you bringing this up; there is no way I could possibly have been putting anything on a pedestal! I just wanted to fucking discuss Kevin Durant, made an eloquent point that almost no one is talking about, with the proper comparisons.

Thanks for finally agreeing with me that players are able to be more clutch with free throws than game winning shots! I knew you had it in you, even though I can tell you meant to imply the opposite and failed.

While watching NBA Shoot Around prior to last night's games, In one segment they showed that the Lakers can deal Jordan Farmar and Josh Powell to the Bulls for Kirk Hinrich. I think that would be a great deal for the Lakers. He's tough, can shoot, plays excellent defense and he doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective, which is what a triangle offense needs from a PG.

Personally I'd love if Kirk goes to Miami somehow (0.001% chance of that happening) since they can't deny that they NEED an effective PG if they want to have any hopes of winning a championship. Other than trading, the only other possible option I could see is signing Raymond Felton as a FA this coming summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)