Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want in gen 5: A decent rival for the first time in a decade, a second/multiple save file(s), increased AI, and some interesting/ACTUALLY EVIL LOOKING pokemon. I mean, in RBY, everything was dark, gritty, and generally creepy. Even Pikachu looked kinda creepy. Now, pokes are either nice looking or like a innocent mischievous schoolboy(see Gengar). I mean, these are creatures that beat the sh-t out of each other at a command, and they look like this? Give us the dark tones/creepy pokemon back; all my other desires for this gen pale in comparision.

I mean, in RBY, everything was dark, gritty, and generally creepy. Even Pikachu looked kinda creepy. Now, pokes are either nice looking or like a innocent mischievous schoolboy(see Gengar). I mean, these are creatures that beat the sh-t out of each other at a command, and they look like this? Give us the dark tones/creepy pokemon back; all my other desires for this gen pale in comparision.
... Those are some really odd rose-colored glasses you're wearing.

Last I've heard, the 1st gen was based around children using their imaginations and playing the game, which is why for the most part, there was little to no plot, and even then, it was a simple one. The reason Pokémon was such a phenomenon around the world because it took something simple as collecting bugs, and made into THE definition of the Mon genre.

Really, there was nothing "gritty" about the beginning as much as "heroism" in it. It was all in the eye of the beholder, if you will.

I love the way the new Pokemon Zoroark looks like. But that is his Japanese name right? He'll have a different English name?
Well, I'd assume his/her name'll be the same in English, similar to Lucario's name never changed from Japanese to English. ... It is an assumption based on trends, though. ;^^

I think the new pokemon will be connected to this phantom ruler and same way lucario was with ash. i wish ash had a lucario so they could be best buddies together.
and i hear the 3 legendary doggies are here also, so i guess unknown has something to do with it as well. i think i saw celebi somewhere also, so more timetravel?
and maybe nintendo should try to recruit some people from smogon becasue they make beautiful CAP pokemon, and there are plenty of talented artists here.

Seasons is a great idea. Probably the best thing non-Pokemon thing they could add to the game. It gives you something new to experience every few months and makes the place actually feel like a real world.

-In the spring, Bug and Grass Pokemon are more common and you can catch baby Pokemon in the wild.
-In the summer, there is Sunny Day weather in some areas. Also, Fire Pokemon are more common.
-In the fall, bird Pokemon migrate to the southern areas of the region.
-In the winter, there is Hail weather in some areas. Ice Pokemon are more common. Rodent Pokemon go into hibernation.

There could even be special holidays where things like in-game giveaways happen and towns change their decorations and the NPCs say something special.
As you fleshed out the idea, it could be interesting.
I was thinking more in terms of having to wait a year to catch the Pokemon you wanted (if the seasons did follow the calendar).
That could be irritating, especially as we're not used to it in Pokemon.
But I'm more open to the idea now than when I first mentioned it.

And to the poster who said the original games were more gritty; this is surprisingly true.
Everything had a certain battle-ready viciousness and they really got a lot more stereotypically 'cute' in subsequent games.

RB Dragonite:

It's subtle things like the look in their eyes, the type of the pose or the nature of shading that is really hard to tie down.
I don't see them returning to the older style but I still really look forward to seeing the new ingame sprites.

deluge said:
I was thinking more in terms of having to wait a year to catch the Pokemon you wanted (if the seasons did follow the calendar).
That could be irritating, especially as we're not used to it in Pokemon.
Remember that you can just change the date in your DS if you really wanted to catch it sooner. Although that's sort of cheesy, it's still a viable option.

Well, I'd assume his/her name'll be the same in English, similar to Lucario's name never changed from Japanese to English. ... It is an assumption based on trends, though. ;^^
Well, your making the wrong assumption in this case, as almost all of the pokemons names change in the Japanese->English transfer, case and point Infernape. Does Goukazaru sound anything like Infernape?

That being said, there is a strong possibility that if this is the real japanese name, it will be similar to the English name, as it is the Demon Fox pokemon, with Zorro meaning Fox in Spanish and Aku being the god of the moon in Babylonian mythology (Moon=Dark type).

Well, your making the wrong assumption in this case, as almost all of the pokemons names change in the Japanese->English transfer, case and point Infernape. Does Goukazaru sound anything like Infernape?
Nah, it was in the sense how, in most of the Pokémon movies, the lead pokémon and/or legendary _usually_ kept its Japanese name (By "kept", I mean its name would be similar to its pronunciation in Japanese, like with Lucario/Rukario, Suicune/Suikun...). Really, I never remembered a lead pokémon that had its name changed, buut... That's just a small theory.

True ...

The Seasonal Feature could be really cool, but only if its for subtle changes, not drastic changes like no Ice Types found in the Summer.

Still not convinced about the legitamacy of the image. Has it been confirmed by anyone yet?

Actually, the legendaries are designed to have 'cross-lingual' names.
Arceus/Heatran/Dialga etc. have the same name basically everywhere as do Lucario and Pikachu even though they're not legendaries.

There's a distinct possibility that, being the Lucario-style generation mascot, we do have the names Zorua and Zoroark internationally as well.
The only reason I have some doubt is that it is a bit difficult as Pokemon names go.
Even then, I feel that any name adjustment will be subtle.

Zoroark looks like sometimg from digimon,5th gen can't be a good thing comp wise either in my opinion, also I bet this thing will be ou when the game is out.
What are you basing your opinion on? We know absolutely nothing about the 5th gen besides what two of the Pokemon look like.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Zoroark looks like sometimg from digimon.
most pokemon past gsc look like digimon so you're about 7 years too late

anyway, i think a seasons addition would be a good idea but i'm pretty doubtful that it is going to be implemented. in general, i really don't have high hopes for this game or games if nothing is done to drastically revamp the series. something fresh is needed to give the pokemon franchise some new excitement. however, based on the trend we're going to get a rehash of: receive starter pokemon of grass/fire/water type, earn gym badges, fight off evil organization, win region's pokemon league, attempt to fill pokedex. included: addition of some new pokemon/evolutions, new forms, new moves, maybe some new abilities. it's boring, predictable, and safe. guaranteed to sell millions. yawn.

the best move would be a complete overhaul of battle mechanics and plot but that just seems completely unlikely.

Off-topic
----------------
most pokemon past gsc look like digimon
So do Pokemon look like Digimon or do Digimon look like Pokemon? Which came first anyway?

On-Topic
------------
the best move would be a complete overhaul of battle mechanics and plot but that just seems completely unlikely.
I have to agree with you there. I complete overhaul of plot, battle mechanic, and something else I can't put my finger on would be very welcomed to those who actually played Pokemon before. Actually just changing the damn plot only would make me very happy. They could at least give the players the good or evil choice in playing. Those always seem okay in my opinion.

Off-topic
----------------
So do Pokemon look like Digimon or do Digimon look like Pokemon? Which came first anyway?
Technically, Digimon came first. The little virtual pet toy came out the year before the Pokemon games did. However, this had a very limited number of Digimon, and the anime didn't come out until 2 years after the Pokemon game did.

On-Topic
------------
I have to agree with you there. I complete overhaul of plot, battle mechanic, and something else I can't put my finger on would be very welcomed to those who actually played Pokemon before. Actually just changing the damn plot only would make me very happy. They could at least give the players the good or evil choice in playing. Those always seem okay in my opinion.
I'd just be happy with having it be different enough that I'd feel like I was missing out by just power driving my way through the Japanese version at launch with the water starter. Sure didn't feel like I missed anything doing that in Pearl.

I would love to see a great expansion in the side quest area of the series.
Also, it would be fantastic if there could be random battles :(
Technically, Digimon came first. The little virtual pet toy came out the year before the Pokemon games did. However, this had a very limited number of Digimon, and the anime didn't come out until 2 years after the Pokemon game did.

Are you talking about Yamaguchi? It wasn't Digimon man :/
I had couple of these myself back in South Korea :/

I'd just be happy with having it be different enough that I'd feel like I was missing out by just power driving my way through the Japanese version at launch with the water starter. Sure didn't feel like I missed anything doing that in Pearl.
Same lol

Are you talking about Yamaguchi? It wasn't Digimon man :/
I had couple of these myself back in South Korea :/
No, I mean these.

I would love to see a great expansion in the side quest area of the series.
Also, it would be fantastic if there could be random battles :(
More double battles would be nice if they keep intending to push that format on us in competitive tournaments. Be nice if you could actually get used to it BEFORE the battle tower or whatever.

Seasons is a great idea. Probably the best thing non-Pokemon thing they could add to the game. It gives you something new to experience every few months and makes the place actually feel like a real world.

-In the spring, Bug and Grass Pokemon are more common and you can catch baby Pokemon in the wild.
-In the summer, there is Sunny Day weather in some areas. Also, Fire Pokemon are more common.
-In the fall, bird Pokemon migrate to the southern areas of the region.
-In the winter, there is Hail weather in some areas. Ice Pokemon are more common. Rodent Pokemon go into hibernation.

There could even be special holidays where things like in-game giveaways happen and towns change their decorations and the NPCs say something special.
I agree with this. Like diamond dust :P I think this would be a good way to get people to keep playing the game. Seriously, I'd love this ;_; Maybe rodents could be more prevalent in the forests during fall? You know, because they're gathering food supplies for hibernation period.

Anyway, while RBY was very childish, it was actually dark, I agree with UncleSam. Pokémon death is a major part of the plot (Marowak, the Tower), Rocket are arguably the most evil and menacing syndicate we've had yet (no lofty ambitions to take over the universe, but much more sinister somewhat), and even the sprite aesthetics emphasised the monstrous side of Pokémonsters.

True ...

The Seasonal Feature could be really cool, but only if its for subtle changes, not drastic changes like no Ice Types found in the Summer.

Still not convinced about the legitamacy of the image. Has it been confirmed by anyone yet?
I was thinking about how Australia has Summer during Christmas time, while North America has winter during the same time. Perhaps the new game could just reflect different seasons with different locations as well.

It could be like... there are certain pokemon that only appears in a certain location when it is raining, and then, that certain location rains a lot during summer, but rains a lot less (but not never) during the winter, so catching it in the winter would be a lot harder, but not impossible. And then, other pokemon have also different rarity depending on weather, and weather depends on season, and season depends on location and actual time.

Something else that might be interesting is to be able to have wifi (or even wireless) battles that have either predefined or random weather and terrain, or maybe like Battle Arcade style.

Seasons would be nice only if it made certain Pokemon more common or more rare, not completely unobtainable at certain times during the year. It would be a huge pain to have to wait 6 months because it's summer where you live and the Pokemon you need is only available in winter. It'd add a nice touch of realism if Snover was like 1% rarity in the summer and then like 40% rarity in the winter, with something like Sunkern being the opposite, though.

Seasons + Day and Night make it seem a lot like Animal Crossing :P (not that its a bad thing, of course). I like Ellie's idea about the pokemon rarities differing throughout the seasons. But that would kinda screw up players who try to run through and catch all the pokemon in a short amount of time. It could keep more people playing the game longer, though.

EDIT: are we allowed to discuss Zorua and Zoroark?

Tl;dr: Colosseum is srs
Yeah Colosseum was qnotably darker than XD. even the main character was pretty shifty. But in XD they went back to the old 10 year old kid thing...

If this game was a little more like Colosseum in terms of mood, it'd be much better I think. Also some significantly different plot to previous generations would be appreciated but very unlikely.

I like the idea of seasons too, especially keeping in mind that you can change the clock if it's making things hard for you.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know that it is pretty much impossible, right?
That is not the point. I am not even discussing this in the realm of flavor, but purely in game mechanics. Nothing is "inherent" to any type except for their type chart data. Slowbro gets flamethrower, Mismagius gets Magic Leaf. Let's not talk about what types of pokemon can/cannot get moves in regards to discussion of game functions.

I'm just saying that Roserade's base stats with Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Natural Cure and a 75% sleep move (call it wave-hypnosis if you want) is extremely impressive-- all of this to illustrate how crappy grass is as a typing (and inversely how awesome water is as a typing).

Judging by its slender looking body, I wouldn't expect this thing to be any bulkier than Weavile.. although losing the Ice typing that plagued Weavile is a plus.

I'll be interested to see its possible 'new' ability. Look like it could be a Rapid Spinner as well; STAB Dark attacks would certainly scare Ghost away from blocking the spin. If it does having Fighting as its secondary type, it would make a brilliant Spinner, indeed.

edit:

Prediction on Base Stats:

Type: Dark
Ability: Technician / Level Playing Field (ignores priority for all moves, including your own)

HP: 79
Atk: 115
Def: 70
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 70
Spd: 111
BST: 540

Move Pool of Note:

Attack:
Rapid Spin, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Superpower, Low Kick, Focus Punch, Psycho Cut, Lick, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Ominous Wind, Vacuum Wave, Hidden Power, U-Turn, Fire Fang, Leaf Blade, Dig, Hyper Fang, Roll Out.

Non-Attack/Support:
Nasty Plot, Taunt, Spikes, Agility, Glare, Howl, Mean Look, Moon Light, Protect, Roar, Rest, Sleep Talk, Baton Pass, Substitute.

Notes: This would undoubtedly make him the best Baton Passer, and possibly Spinner in OU. Base 111 speed, with access to Taunt, Nasty Plot, Agility, and Mean Look. An ability to ignore priority, means he won't be easily take out before his pass goes off. It allows him to easily Roar Shuffle Pokemon as well, thanks to ignoring Roar's priority.

With his Dark typing, Ghost will seldom want to switch in, allowing him to freely Spin. He's a decent physical sweeper, thanks to Technician and Howl, and has access to Nasty Plot on the other side.

Erhm, if it had technician, it would want bite/faint attack over night slash, and drain punch for fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)