Need advice on Two laptops

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Smogon, I need advice on a laptop.

My dad finally consented to buy me a laptop that'll last me more than two (!!) years. A few things details that I need for my laptop

1)Please for the love of God, I need at least an i3 Processor.
2)No integrated graphics card. It must be Nvidia 230m or higher
3)RAM I could care less about. 2GB DDR2 is good enough for me
4)Screen size should be from 14 - 16. I'm a student entering college, so no heavy lugging for me.

Now, I have found these two laptops.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220699

or

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=50106

Now both may be 799 CAD, but don't be fooled; with taxes, they cost around 900.

Now the Asus has a worser graphics card than the Acer, but has same specs everywhere else. Now, I'm worried about the build quality of this Acer (and Acer is general). I know Asus is reliable. Plus they have two years of warranty, not one like Acer. Is the upgrade in graphics card worth the risk of a lesser build quality and one year less of warranty?

And if you have any other suggestions, please post them here.

Thanks!

Which one you get all depends on what you want it for. If you need it for word processing, some programming, etc, then go for reliable. If you want to play video games, or something (college student? I advise against), then you may want improved graphics. What is the minimum graphics you need?

Your lack of care for extra RAM indicates this: Asus, not Acer.
That is my advice.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
If you want something to last two years, you need to buy something with quality construction. I would recommend something like a Lenovo T series laptop.

Eraddd

One Pixel
If you want something to last two years, you need to buy something with quality construction. I would recommend something like a Lenovo T series laptop.
Problem:

T Series is too expensive (sigh)
Graphics Card isn't what I want.
I really want an i5+ processor.

T500 is amazing. I'll give you that. With the durability and everything. The build quality is amazing, but it's just out of my line.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Er, what are your needs? I can't think of anyone who would absolutely need an i5 processor over a Core 2 Duo instead of another 2GB of RAM. Is there something I'm missing here?

Eraddd

One Pixel
Er, what are your needs? I can't think of anyone who would absolutely need an i5 processor over a Core 2 Duo instead of another 2GB of RAM. Is there something I'm missing here?
No no, the two laptops have 4 gigs of RAM and i5 processor. What I'm asking is which is better, the Acer or Asus, and if there's a better option out there for around the same price (my family is in money saving mode).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd go with the Acer. Acers are pretty reliable (above the average I believe) and the video card is quite a bit better. It's also at a local store which makes it easier to exchange in the case of a DoA product. I'd check out the weight and battery life before buying. I don't know what school you're going to but older ones don't seem to have many outlets which causes quite a problem for my laptop. I'm perfectly fine at SFU's Surrey campus but their Burnaby campus is atrocious.

I'm a student entering college, so no heavy lugging for me.
I took a desktop PC and a CRT monitor when I went to University. By train. You by no means need a laptop (as opposed to having a desktop), unless you're flying I guess. Less weight helps mind. On the other hand, since you want a system that will last - desktops, even cheap ones, are in my experience more durable.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Desktops last longer simply because they're less mobile - a laptop is going to undergo a hell of a lot more movement than your average desktop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)