Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

the probelm that jumps out immediately is very anoyying. no way to hit Shedinja. now this might seem rediculus at first, but give it some thought. he can literaly come in a stall your team to death. I would give either Houndoom or Togekiss a shot. they both bring different things to the table. Houndoom is an exelent SPATKer, and can readily switch into those ghosts you were talking about. Meanwhile, Togekiss provides a way to out-hax the Battle Arcade. With the flinch-hax spread you can outlast several 1-1 battles and come out on top. For the Houndoom, I would go

timid/Modest(don't know the speed tiers, so you'll have to figure that one out)
252SPATK, enough speed EVs to outspeed all significant threats, and the rest in HP
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Hidden Power ground/fight
filler

and for Togekiss just use the flinch Hax set.

hope that helped

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You're right. I'm very lucky I haven't faced one yet. I do indeed have two Houndoom; one is Modest with HP Psychic, the other Hasty with HP Ground, but honestly Houndoom is too fragile for my tastes. I was never a fan of Togekiss but it probably does Registeel's job better with autoheal and better speed. I was also considering Ape and Electivire; they take it out as well. Thanks for the input.

I have a question about records... If I used a Speed Team to beat my way through the first 49, does the team still count?

I have a question about records... If I used a Speed Team to beat my way through the first 49, does the team still count?
Yes, most people do that... after all, it's only the battles after 49 that really count.

Ah, yes... I have an announcement to make....

I lost at 647 in the Tower.

Anyone who has seen my previous record posts (eg. 313) and the videos that accompany them will know that it will be a while before my official record post is finished. For now, I'll just say that the chance of losing was 1 in 5851, or even lower if you count the choice of team members by the opponent.

I'm 99.9999% sure I won't be returning to the Tower in D/P/Pt. As for HG/SS, that depends on whether the Tower pokes have different movesets... doesn't anyone know about that?

I need your opinion.

I've done some changes in my double battle tower team :

Lvl 1 Swinub@Focus sash
Endeavor
Ice shard
Protect
Odor sleuth

I tried Swinub because it doesn't take damage from sandstorm or hail even if it's not very common. I use it like my old Smeargle. Odor sleuth if there are two Ghost Pokemon (or one and I want to explode with Camerupt).

And my two lasts are the same Camerupt and Octillery as my 181 win streak, they work too good to be replaced.

But I have a problem : Dusknoir, my other lead, and trick room user.
Even if it has a defensive EV spread, it can be OHKO by two Pokemon (depending of the spread) : Rampardos 2 and Gengar 2. And of course, they don't target Swinub.
Is it a good idea to replace Dusknoir (Trick room/Shadow punch/Brick break/TPunch) for Bronzong (Trick room/Protect/Gyro ball or Iron head (I need help here)/Zen Headbutt ? I'm not sure for the last slot but I can't use EQ. And defensive EV spread, I'll search later) ? It gives a nice Ground immunity in the team and has good resistances, but I can't explode safely with Camerupt, I have to use Protect.

Lol, I just had THE funniest battle ever in the doubles arcade with my new team (not revealing it yet). Basically, earlier in the round I had gotten that gay lagging tail for all my pokes and had a board speed up. Then on like the sixth battle I landed on the switch panel! I was pretty pissed, but I actually won a very close game because the team that my opponent got all had lagging tail.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
197 in the single hall with a pokémon noone has used before (as far as I can tell) and I lost to umby lol, I did a mistake turn one, my poké hurt itself 3 out of 4 and last turn umby survived my attack with like 2% and finished my poké off :/

this was on the 7th try, my previous (partly test-runs) were 139, 19, 17, 78, 26 & 49 (misplayed here, not an argenta counter)

I´ll post about it after some more runs in the following weeks...

Yes, most people do that... after all, it's only the battles after 49 that really count.
Excellent. I knew it was that way on Serebii, but I wasn't sure about here. My new team just hit 126, so I'm on my way up. Hoping to break the 200 barrier for once.

A funny thing happened in one of the early rounds, my opponent had out a Hitmontop, it used Detect, then my opponent switched to Crawdaunt, who resisted the type of move I had just used. I was like: "Did the AI just scout my team and make a smart switch? O_O". That really made me laugh.

Congratulations on the streak :) That must have been tough to get that far. I'll be waiting on pins and needles for your record post.

197 in the single hall with a pokémon noone has used before (as far as I can tell) and I lost to umby lol, I did a mistake turn one, my poké hurt itself 3 out of 4 and last turn umby survived my attack with like 2% and finished my poké off :/
Ha, Umby hax. I haven't had that in a while, at least not in the BF. Congrats on that run though.

Finally, I'm working on a new team after this one, improving Jumpman's team in a similar way that Bozo sought to improve Peterko's...

Ok here is the team I would apreciate any advise on making it stronger its BP D/P tradeback team :D :

Latias @Choise scarf
Trick
Draco meteor
Surf
Sub
Evs: 4hp/252spA/252spe
Nature: timid
well the standart trick lead for BP thats all said about it

Adamant @ Lum Berry
252ATK/252SPEED/6HP
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
this is the sweeper who comes in if an oponent is locked in status moves such as thunder wawe toxic etc.

Regirock @ leftovers
Careful
252HP/252SPDEF/4DEF
Curse
Rock Slide
Substitute
Rest
the guy who comes in on moves such ascoton spore growl etc.

This team won 56 battles after that lost due hax looking for some improvements

Hi Peterko,

This is slightly off-topic, but my PM's are disabled right now, so I just need to ask you here... I was wondering, have you ever worked for Bel Ami?

I have a very funny story lol (sorry, i didn't save the video):

Gyarados is locked in DD
Garchomp SD +6
Fire Fang (I don't have lum berry)
AI switches to ninetales (flash fire ftw)
Garchomp Earthquake
AI switches to Gyarados o_o
After that it was easy, fire fang, Outrage and GG!
that kind of thing will happen to you many many times with this kind of team!

Yet again I survived a battle that placed me in mortal danger...

I still don't want to reveal my team members apart from the obvious Registeel, but here's what I'll say for now (until I post the final record streak and also upload the video of this battle):

Basically, lead Armaldo got 5 crits in 10 turns against Registeel with X-Scissor, including my second incident of 3 crits in a row with the standard CH rate >_>. This involved breaking several Subs and thus leaving Steel with red-zone HP upon defeating it, then Skuntank4 comes out next. Sounds pretty safe since Steel resists all its moves, but it also has Explosion and Night Slash's high crit rate, which at my low HP would've been fatal. Therefore, I impulsively chose Iron Head (+6) rather than trying to stall it until Leftover recovered enough HP... it has Aftermath so Registeel dies too. Oops. I wonder if Peterko or Jumpman ever made a mistake that bad during their 2000+ streaks... anyway, I sent out my weakened lead (taken one X-Scissor) and out came Mismagius4 (Timid, Focus Sash)... crap. But due to the wonder of RNG abuse and the flawless IVs it brings, I survived with 5 HP and Thunder Waved it... then Tricked my item to it, thus stealing its precious Focus Sash. Lead dies, then my powerful sweeper comes out and ends it easily.

Moral of the story: Don't forget about abilities.

I really didn't deserve to win that battle... or did I? After all, 5 crits in 10 turns is somewhat unfair.

That was my closest call since the time Registeel had to finish off 1 HP Guillotine Gliscor without a Sub. These battles are no good for my heart rate!
yeah, you deserved to win that one. 5/10 crits is really just not fair. looking forward to seeing this battle.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that, but I'm also beginning to see that while forcing struggle is a great tool, it's far from my only one. There are plenty of cases, for example, where a resisted attack does less than struggle so I won't bother, and let's not forget wonderful enemy first turn moves like any stat up, twave (chomp), toxic (scizor) that have no effect at all. While I'll probably end up losing to powerful unresisted attacks (of which struggle could be one given a sufficiently high attack) I'm hoping on being able to reach 100 before that happens. This is also part of why I'm considering switching scizor's spdef to def, as while specs can rock me by stopping me from easily forcing struggle, non-specs/sticky hold/etc special sweepers do next to nothing when stuck on struggle anyways so I don't seem to need the boost there. It was originally in case something went wrong and it had to face an unexpected stray flamethrower or whatever, but now that I've gotten some play in it seems like in any situation where that could actually happen I've already lost the match, so it seems a waste when it could be doing more good in def.
like you say, charming CB leads is better than tricking them. theire attack is lower after one turn, and you have the ability to keep lowering it.

also, scizor is really not meant to be switching in to stuff. you probably could have just sacrificed your lead. the tauros will now outspeed you, so either:

1. it KO's you that turn, and scizor comes in next at full hp.
  2. it doesn't KO you, you retrick, but now youre faster (you have scarf, it has band) so you can trick the scarf back next turn.
still yeah, its great to learn that at an early battle (i learnt something about yanmega at 459 last time and lost my streak lol). good luck next time you try.

you wouldn't be the first one who uses it as I did it multiple times
don't worry about using pokemon (or strategies) other people have used, or else you'll soon be restricted to magikarp soon lol :) my tower team is very similar to peterko's - i switched garchomp for salamence not because i thought it would "make me different", but because i thought it had a use. both our teams are extremely similar to Garo's anyway, and this kind of trick team (based on resistences) is very difficult to do without registeel and a dragon.

QUESTION

Is your streak considered illegal if you use legit hacks in the tower?
I ask this as I have theorymonned a prety perfect team, but I would need 1 SAV'd Pokémon for it.
i'd be interested to hear what some other people say about that one. what is the pokemon you're wanting to use? personally, i think it's a bit of a shame to hack a pokemon to use - getting on the list against others who use only what is available to them without cheating, you're putting yourself at an advantage. but then again if its just to get a tutor move on something that most people could do easy enough, i dont know. guess it depends on the pokemon......

Anyone who has seen my previous record posts (eg. 313) and the videos that accompany them will know that it will be a while before my official record post is finished. For now, I'll just say that the chance of losing was 1 in 5851, or even lower if you count the choice of team members by the opponent.

I'm 99.9999% sure I won't be returning to the Tower in D/P/Pt. As for HG/SS, that depends on whether the Tower pokes have different movesets... doesn't anyone know about that?
ah crap - i was sure you'd get to 1001 :( well, you certainly make it to #3 (or is it #2 lol - maybe we could get jumpman to remove himself too - afterall his streak is unfinished, and therefore unimpressive).

sucks about the 1/5851 thing - i'll wait to read/watch it and see how terrible it was.

well, at least there is a 0.00001% chance you'll be back!

Lol, I just had THE funniest battle ever in the doubles arcade with my new team (not revealing it yet). Basically, earlier in the round I had gotten that gay lagging tail for all my pokes and had a board speed up. Then on like the sixth battle I landed on the switch panel! I was pretty pissed, but I actually won a very close game because the team that my opponent got all had lagging tail.
ah that is funny - my best streak (sub-100 i think) was ended by the switch-team panel. makes you realise how awesome your team is when "their" lead OHKO's every single one of "your" pokemon before it can move lol.....

seriously, if the opponents in the battle tower really are people with feelings, it must hurt them to be like "go roserade :) oh crap, what is that thing? salamence used aerial ace. roseade suffers a horrible death. oh :( well..... go breloom :) salamence used aerial ace...............". yeah.....

umby killed me too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypE3AV1kJlE

look forward to hearing what you're using.....

A funny thing happened in one of the early rounds, my opponent had out a Hitmontop, it used Detect, then my opponent switched to Crawdaunt, who resisted the type of move I had just used. I was like: "Did the AI just scout my team and make a smart switch? O_O". That really made me laugh.
they do sometimes switch, generally when something resists your move and has a supereffective move to use against you. and things with protect/detect almost always use it on turn 1. but yeah, that looked like a bit of a strategy! once i came up against a team which totally looked "well created" - lead choice scarf tyranitar, choice band rhyperior, and i think one of the garchomps".

Finally, I'm working on a new team after this one, improving Jumpman's team in a similar way that Bozo sought to improve Peterko's...
look forward to hearing about that. i've been thinking about tinkering with it too. prob will just switch garchomp for salamence, and think about a lead (prob cant use latias).

Unfortunately, I lost at the arcade at 70, 8 before my record, because the board was moving pretty fast and I hit paralysis on accident. Paralysis is probably the worst status you can get... There really wasn't any hax, just the fact that there were almost no good panels at all.

I'm thinking about trying double castle with a specscarfband team

ah man that sucks :( pity that game is so much like that - you could be on an awesome streak, and your hand slips at that crucial point and you're dead!

also, here is an amazing battle. let's just say it completely encapsulates why i think:

1. you should keep your trick lead alive and as healthy as possible whenever you possibly can
  2. recover > flash
it was battle 499, and just when i thought i had got past the AI's attempt at stopping me getting to a 500 streak, i got this battle at 500 (and couldnt recod it because there was no way i'd record over 499 before capturing it on video).

1. registeel sets up on some random hiker (or similar) lead something-or-other.
  2. rhyperior comes in and spams avalanche while i repeatedly use sub to no effect.
  3. just when i give in and use iron head, he uses counter (focus sash) and then KO's me with horn drill.
  4. no point doing anything with latias, so i KO with salamence's EQ.
  5. next poke could be anything, and salamence has no stat boosts....... but it's bastiodon, and i know it cant have a sash, so its GG.
actually now that i look up the lists, i see one of them has focus band lol - that would have been annoying!!!

also later i could have lost to a parasol lady when i didnt look up the moveset for qwilfish and got my +6/+6/+6/sub registeel d-bond'ed. last poke was kabutops, and my latias was almost dead. luckily it doesnt have aqua jet, so i thunderwaved it before dying to slash, then sub'ed with salamence (who can't OHKO with EQ) as it used swords dance (lol - i was expecting it to move 4 times hitting me with rock slide each time) and i killed it next turn.

up to 560 atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat eppie
you wouldn't be the first one who uses it as I did it multiple times

don't worry about using pokemon (or strategies) other people have used, or else you'll soon be restricted to magikarp soon lol :) my tower team is very similar to peterko's - i switched garchomp for salamence not because i thought it would "make me different", but because i thought it had a use. both our teams are extremely similar to Garo's anyway, and this kind of trick team (based on resistences) is very difficult to do without registeel and a dragon.
He stated twice he did NOT wanted to use something that has been used before :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat eppie
QUESTION

I ask this as I have theorymonned a prety perfect team, but I would need 1 SAV'd Pokémon for it.

i'd be interested to hear what some other people say about that one. what is the pokemon you're wanting to use? personally, i think it's a bit of a shame to hack a pokemon to use - getting on the list against others who use only what is available to them without cheating, you're putting yourself at an advantage. but then again if its just to get a tutor move on something that most people could do easy enough, i dont know. guess it depends on the pokemon......
The Pokémon in question is a Helping Hand Relaxed 31/31/31/x/31/0 Dusknoir which has to be SR'd on Pokémon XD due to Helping Hand.
That actually means going beyond impossible, as I think you won't SR something like that if you try a straight year.

I disagree with that a little. I mean, of course, after a while if we all try to use new pokemon/strategies we will be restricted to using magikarps, but I think it's still cool for the time being to try to find those new pokemon/strategies even if they are just mediocre ones (compared to the proven-to-be-amazing ones), just because we never know, maybe something amazing will come out of something no body else has thought of. But even if that is not the case, for me, it's like, "It might not be the best team/strategy, but at least it's something I made" kind of thing that I would be more proud of. But yeah, sooner or later, even having "new" semi-good (or semi-new) strategies would be tougher and tougher to come up with, so for me it is like "Think of something new and get to it before someone else does" because it definitely happened here before where I thought of a "new" strategy but never had time to execute it and then a month or two later someone else did and got recognition for it while I have nothing to show. Anyway, I'm totally sidetracked.

Bozo said:
eppie said:
I wasn't going to comment on this, but since Bozo said he's interested in what other people think... I would consider it illegal regardless of what it is or how easy it is for others to do the same thing, but that's just me.

He stated twice he did NOT wanted to use something that has been used before :)
ah fair enough - i wasnt aware of the history.

The Pokémon in question is a Helping Hand Relaxed 31/31/31/x/31/0 Dusknoir which has to be SR'd on Pokémon XD due to Helping Hand.
That actually means going beyond impossible, as I think you won't SR something like that if you try a straight year.
hmmm yeah, something like that will be virtually impossible. however, people like pokeguy and a few others have some near perfect ones. im guessing dusknoir will be setting up trick room on turn 1 with one of the opponent's pokes flinched, and then using helping hand to boost explosions (maybe from a certain snorlax? lol), so you probably dont need it to be perfect. just a good nature with maybe decent stats.

EDIT:

Pokeguy said:

Duskull [OT]
Zim 60683 ♂ IVs: 17 HP / 16 Atk / 26 Def / 2 SpA / 24 SpD / 17 Spe
Sassy nature.
Date of Palpark
Distant Land
Arrived at Lv. 19. (Untouched Duskull)
~Helping Hand [XD]
Zim 42232 ♀ IVs: 26 HP / 17 Atk / 17 Def / 22 SpA / 28 SpD / 15 Spe
Relaxed nature.
Date of Palpark
Distant Land
Arrived at Lv. 19. (Untouched Duskull)
~Helping Hand [XD]
Works well with Exploding doubles partners, like the Snorlax bellow this; now better then ever with Pain Split tutor-able in HG/SS! *Redistributable, if you get either of them directly from me; they are not redistributable off of smogon or by the people you trade them to*
anyone who pokeguy traded them to can trade them to you. i dont think i ever got one though!

I disagree with that a little. I mean, of course, after a while if we all try to use new pokemon/strategies we will be restricted to using magikarps, but I think it's still cool for the time being to try to find those new pokemon/strategies even if they are just mediocre ones (compared to the proven-to-be-amazing ones), just because we never know, maybe something amazing will come out of something no body else has thought of. But even if that is not the case, for me, it's like, "It might not be the best team/strategy, but at least it's something I made" kind of thing that I would be more proud of. But yeah, sooner or later, even having "new" semi-good (or semi-new) strategies would be tougher and tougher to come up with, so for me it is like "Think of something new and get to it before someone else does" because it definitely happened here before where I thought of a "new" strategy but never had time to execute it and then a month or two later someone else did and got recognition for it while I have nothing to show. Anyway, I'm totally sidetracked.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but since Bozo said he's interested in what other people think... I would consider it illegal regardless of what it is or how easy it is for others to do the same thing, but that's just me.
yeah it is true that something can be gained by trying something different (i mean jump's accupressure idea was right out of left field). i just wonder if sometimes people get too hung up on doing something different for "recognition" or whatever.

I'm guessing dusknoir will be setting up trick room on turn 1 with one of the opponent's pokes flinched, and then using helping hand to boost explosions
:) That's why I have leer on my duskull since it essentially does the same thing as helping hand (lowering both op's defense 1 stage is pretty much the same as increasing your partner's attack 1 stage), for physical attacks, unless opponent has clear body. And of course, leer has permanent effect.

Oh yeah, I think I put emphasis in the wrong part in my previous post haha. Recognition is cool, sure, but in the end, I play to accomplish something I am proud of, and building something that works that I can call my own is something I would be more proud of than building something that works even better that's just nearly the same as something somebody else already made. Of course, it's hard with so many things already out there (and that's where the mentality of "doing something before someone else does" comes into play).

ah ok fair enough :) and that's really clever with leer - i always forget that those "weak" moves affect both opponents.

ive just had 2 battles against lead outrage salamence - this is another instance of where salamence helps way more than garchomp. after intimidate, outrage "only" does about 28hp damage to registeel. crits do the same of course, and they are what really hurt you. anyway, facing those things is scary, because they OHKO your lead, will easily OHKO your backup dragon, and can really cause you problems if they get too many crits.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Peterko,

This is slightly off-topic, but my PM's are disabled right now, so I just need to ask you here... I was wondering, have you ever worked for Bel Ami?
umm, how is that just "slightly" off topic?

1. I had no clue (before I googled) what that name means because I never heard about it

2. no, I haven´t worked for, nor with a company in that sort of industry (not even by offering legal service)

why were you wondering that anyway? did you want to imply something?

Bozo said:
also, here is an amazing battle. let's just say it completely encapsulates why i think:

you should keep your trick lead alive and as healthy as possible whenever you possibly can
recover > flash
kingler lead! yay

yeah the start of the battle was the way it should be played with your team, t-wave then switch...that is the correct way of playing and isn´t that much about letting your lead live (guillotine hit turn 1 would´ve been interesting, as well - happened to me at least once)

I would´ve stalled the crabhammers, because of SD on chomp...but if you need 6-7 turns for DD, I´d still PP waste those 8-9 hammers...didn´t count how many you did but kingler got at least 3...a CH still does over 50% damage to salami and obviously breaks your sub, maybe it was a bit risky, on the other hand I don´t know your team and how you use salamence, so...

I believe you didn´t need the CH outrage to OHKO the gong, right?

but still, a display of a battle you could have lost relatively easily just by the teammember choice of the PI (also trode literally blew it)...such battles will always occur during high streaks

kingler lead = state of emergency

Hey guys,

I'm trying to go through the battle hall with a scarf medicham, and the only 2 pokeon I cant beat is dusknoir, I've lost thrice in a row, as I can only 3hko it, and it 2ko's me. I've been ice punching it, hoping for freeze hax or a crit, but can nayone think of a move that can kill it w/out Hax on my side?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to go through the battle hall with a scarf medicham, and the only 2 pokeon I cant beat is dusknoir, I've lost thrice in a row, as I can only 3hko it, and it 2ko's me. I've been ice punching it, hoping for freeze hax or a crit, but can nayone think of a move that can kill it w/out Hax on my side?
Looking at its moveset, all I can see is maybe Rock Slide for a 30 percent flinch chance (yeah you said no hax but at least it's a higher chance), or Fling, which is obviously super effective. As someone said before, Razor Fang always flnches when used this way. I don't know what the weight of the item to 2HKO when combined with an elemental punch is, I better check.

EDIT:Choice Scarf is 10 base damage, you'll have to use something different for Fling to work.
EDIT: Uhh, I can't see any way it's really possible. Sorry... (I mean, you don't want to have Medicham holding Iron Ball, do you?)

they do sometimes switch, generally when something resists your move and has a supereffective move to use against you. and things with protect/detect almost always use it on turn 1. but yeah, that looked like a bit of a strategy! once i came up against a team which totally looked "well created" - lead choice scarf tyranitar, choice band rhyperior, and i think one of the garchomps".
Yeah, it was just funny to see the AI using a competitive strategy.

look forward to hearing about that. i've been thinking about tinkering with it too. prob will just switch garchomp for salamence, and think about a lead (prob cant use latias).
XD That was almost what I was planning. What I was going to try was use a Mence designed for outspeeding a certain teir, and do some work on Mesprit's spread. The one problem with using Mence is that STAB T-bolt's in lead position are bothersome now, but idk if the AI will use them on Mesprit, never having used a pure-psychic lead before.

EDIT: Finished my modifications to Jump's team :) This is going to rock the BT.

Still, my current team (now at 189) comes first.

Hello! It's my first post!

I'm finish the Battle Hall!

Achieved a streak of 179 in the Single Battle Hall using this:

Garchomp
Item: Focus Sash
Adamant
IVs: HP 12, At 28, De 9, SA 26, SD 29, Sp 19
EVs: HP 6, At 252, Sp 252

- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Aerial Ace
- Outrage

I lost against a Manectric after 179 consecutive wins...

1. Manectric used Signal Beam
2. Garchomp confuse... hurt by confuse
3. Manectric used Signal Beam
4. Garchomp hurt by confuse again
5. Manectric used Signal Beam... Manectric win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)