Team Spooky Powerpuffs! (Offensive OU)

My first RMT - so be gentle

currently sitting at 12-5 record wise on another forum, recently discovered the smogon RMT area, and I felt I needed some help, so here I am :)

As an offensive team we start with a momentum lead, my favorite for this (also powerpuff fitting) is Infernape

Mojo-Jojo; Infernape@focus sash
Naive
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Fake Out
Close Combat
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast

This Infernape is the quintessential offensive anti-lead. It is guaranteed to get Stealth Rock up against every common lead, bar Aerodactyl, and all the other leads, besides Hippowdon, will be defeated in the process. The idea is that you Fake Out on the first turn to render the opponent's Focus Sash useless, and then either attack or lay Stealth Rock as the opponent does the same, while carrying the advantage of still holding Focus Sash. Naïve Azelf will always be KOed by Fire Blast, and some other leads, like Tyranitar and Jirachi, are obviously not great at taking Infernape’s attacks. The biggest problem is a swampert lead, but even then I just get rocks up and switch out. Generally to Gengar to try and OHKO with energy ball

Bubbles; Gyarados@leftovers
Adamant
72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Ice fang
Earthquake

mid game sweeper/lightning rod, gyarados can set-up against so many different opponents that it's very easy to get a DD off. I have considered a Choice band variant with the goal simply being to predict their switch and hopefully KO the gyarados answer. so ice fang. I don't have a good answer to bulky grass types like celebi, it kills Dragons (salamence/Dragonite) I had stone edge for a long time, but ice fang has been super useful for me. Other than that. it's gyarados, it has 6-0'd a few people that didn't have a good electric answer.

Buttercup; Gliscor@leftovers (formerly electivire, thanks to Abutorn for the idea/build)
Jolly
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Hyper Cutter
252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe
Moveset:
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Roost
Baton Pass // Stone edge

Abutorn suggested baton pass, and I have to say +2 choice banded technician/stab bullet punches seem pretty strong, it's also good if I switch the gengar to a Scarf flygon (which is currently what i'm planning) for +2 stab scarfed outrages.

Blossom; Scizor@choice band
Adamant
248 hp / 252 atk / 8 spe
Bullet Punch
U-turn
super power
pursuit

I needed a pursuit user, and a scout. Scizor is extremely good in both these areas. with his long list of resistances, and gyarados already on the team to soak the fire attacks and set-up, scizor seemed an obvious choice. Scizor survives quake very well, can take a thunderbolt, u-turns for a billion damage, has double stab priority. not sure what else to say, i could list all the applications, but who on these forums doesn't know about CB scizor?

Professor; Empoleon@petaya berry
Modest
252 hp / 40 atk / 216 spe (thanks Abutorn)
Substitute
Agility
Grass knot
surf

standard sub/berry set, i'm thinking i want more coverage (from ice beam) so I have been heavily considering the life orb set. I wanted a special sweeper on the team, and sub empoleon seemed great in concept, but honestly it hasn't been working out that well for me, I seem to be having a really difficult time getting set-up, I just switched to grass knot however, hopefully this will help alleviate some of his problems. Empoleon can easily come in against opposing scizors, usually (hopefully) ones trying to revenge kill gengar with bullet punch, and have a pretty easy time setting up, the biggest problem for this guy is a vaccumwave/mach punch, after subbing into petaya range. anyone spamming Close combat to kill all the subs will be able to easily OHKO with mach punch afterwards, which is very sad.

Rounding out the team, revenge killer - Spookz

Spookz the gengar@choice scarf
modest
4 hp / 252 sp atk / 252 spe
energy ball (need an answer to swampert)
thunderbolt
focus blast
shadowball

pretty standard revenge killer. the primary use is to revenge kill on something if I let it get a turn of set-up, with scarf gengar should out run +1 gyarados and be able to OHKO with tbolt. Energy ball is the 4th slot so I have an answer to swampert, trick is another consideration to help with wall breaking. this gengar also attracts bullet punch from scizor and pursuit from scarfTar, which empoleon resists, giving empoleon time to set-up, and start sweeping.

If you feel Electivire isn't the greatest on this team then replace it with Jolteon. It works well without coming into an electric attack but can use that advantage for reuse and slight survivability. I have foung that it works much better in conjunction with Gyarados and is less predictable. It doesn't have quite the same coverage and blissey is a nightmare but on such a hyper offensive team coverage isn't completely important and blissey can be taken care of by the other members of the team.

If you feel Electivire isn't the greatest on this team then replace it with Jolteon. It works well without coming into an electric attack but can use that advantage for reuse and slight survivability. I have foung that it works much better in conjunction with Gyarados and is less predictable. It doesn't have quite the same coverage and blissey is a nightmare but on such a hyper offensive team coverage isn't completely important and blissey can be taken care of by the other members of the team.
That's a fair point, still has the problem of getting earthquaked by good prediction, but doesn't require a tbolt to be useful.

Hey Brislove, how you doing today?

I'll be doing a analysis for your team.

Infernape: Overall looks good. Wouldn't change anything about it.

Gyarados: I see this thing can definitly improve since you're using bulky EVs I don't think Gyarados need Ice fang and Stone Edge in the same moveset. So you probably want to change it..maybe into Earthquake so you might want to remove Ice fang since you said it's useful and take out Stone edge and put down Earthquake since Stone Edge and Ice fang for most of the time is used for flying types why would you have both for flying types, just a waste of a moveslot. The other option that I recommend you changing Gyarados into is 6 Hp / 252 Att / 252 Spd since you just put down random EVs in HP for no reason, from what I see. Last thing, since your team is offensive I think you should definitly change Leftovers to Life orb.

Electivire: Vire is a decent pokemon, but the reason why I definitly think you should replace it is because that you have 3 things currently on your team weak to ground and you also said you haven't been very fond of Vire. What pokemon I find very useful in your team due the synergy I see is Gliscor. You currently have 1 thing on your team weak to water, but then you have Empoleon which is resistant on water, and you have nothing right now at this moment on your present team weak to Ice but you have some stuff weak to fighting ground and electric moves, so I defintly see Gliscor working like a charm on your team. Since your team is offensive I think you need to make Gliscor a dancing tank. I find that it can work currently on 2 pokemon on your team and im sure it can work since people are going to try take down the gliscor and from what I see Gyarados and Scizor can take the moves quite nice. So here's the moveset and EVs:

Gliscor @ Leftovers / Yache Berry ( Your choice )
Ability: Hyper Cutter ( Not to get intimidated )
252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe
Moveset: Swords Dance, Earthquake, Roost, Baton Pass

Swords Dance is to possibly sweep by just using 1 move, Earthquake is simple just for Lucario, Tyranitar, Heatran etc. Roost is to recover anything back if you want to or able to, lastly Baton pass is to put those Swords dance into either Scizor or Gyarados, which could have a good chance at sweeping.

Scizor: Wouldn't change anything about it looks like it'll fit your team perfectly.

Empoleon: I love Empoleon one of my favorite Sp.attackers, but you can definitly fix something. For starters you can start by using the correctly EVs for SubAgilityEmp, which is 12 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe. Next is that you forgot your nature for Empoleon which is modest. Lastly you probably want to use Ice beam over Grass knot since dragons totally wall your set so you definitly won't be able to set up.

Gengar: Lastly, I see you have gengar, Gengar is a decent pokemon but it doesn't do too well as a scarfer even now since Tyranitar can come in on any attack except if you're focus blasting and just either pursuit you or attack you with crunch, so what I think you could use is Latias, It could take a pursuit so you have a chance and it's overall a better scarfer then gengar due to its stats, so here's the moveset you should try and it doesn't get totally walled by Tyranitar.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Moveset: Trick, Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt, Surf

Good luck on your team in the future and hoped my analysis helped.

Infernape-lead apes usually dont stick around much, using overheat over fire blast, will give slightly more power.
Gyarados-Ice Fang is outclassed by stone edge, using EQ will give you a wider range of attacking.
Evire-I totally agree with Abutor.
Empoleon-grass knot can be replaced with ice beam or hp electric, letting you decide if gyarados, or salamence/flygon give you more trouble.

good luck :]

yeah, I started on a gliscor already, totally agree there...not sure where this gyarados having stone edge came from, but he's always had quake :-p

I switched to ice fang a while ago because I didn't have a good answer to flygon/gliscor/salamence, and stone edge isn't 4x, also ice fang misses a lot less. The HP ev's are kinda "tossed" in there, because a +1 gyarados with 184 speed evs will outrun positive 115's (primarily starmies), the life orb set is certainly an option as well, I'll give it a shot, as it gives a few more OHKOs.

if I go stone edge on gyarados I need ice beam on empoleon, but then I just get tanked by bulky waters (like swampert/vaporeon), the reasoning behind grass knot.

I need a better EV spread on empoleon I'll certainly try out the 12/12/252/232

I'll try and get an update on the thread with the gliscor in there instead of vire, when I have a little more time to format it, Any option in the gengar slot other than latias? I try to dodge legendaries, simply because a decent number of people have a no legendary clause (also I don't have one...but I presume I can get one via a breeding project in the trade section)

Scarf Flygon in the gengar slot? it's another levitate user, and another tbolt soak, in case someone actually gets the gliscor... also outrage/draco meteor kills them dragons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)